• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Tips

True, there are many ways to keep their curiosity going! Stealthed learning has so much benefit for their holistic growth and development! Aside from nature walks, does anyone have other recommendations for activities that engage our little toddlers' curious minds? Remember, every little bit of input helps shape their world!
My kids love the good ol' treasure hunts indoors! It engages their visual perception and problem solving skills especially if the items are a series of surprises - like finding something soft then cold then noisy haha. Also, preparing the night before gives me some quiet time too while they're asleep :p Simple peasy and fun for sensory play is making homemade play dough or sand! And I let them 'cook' with me too, which they think is pretty cool - measuring ingredients etc. They're very hands-on and love squishing stuff. Then after, we do some artsy thing with the creations, painting or decorating. Can get a little messy though so I usually have an impromptu shower cap on stand by haha! But it's all good fun and makes for great bonding time and memories :)

That's such a fantastic idea! Love how it caters to so many different sensory experiences and also sneaks in some learning. And preparing the night before is genius - win-win for all parents needing some me-time too haha.

The homemade sensory play and cooking sounds fun , especially when they get to measure ingredients and explore texture by squishing and moulding stuff. An impromptu shower cap sounds like a great idea to keep the mess in check - might have to borrow that! Art time after the sensory play is such a cool extension activity too.

Thanks for sharing these lovely toddler tips!!

My kids love the good ol' treasure hunts indoors! It engages their visual perception and problem solving skills especially if the items are a series of surprises - like finding something soft then cold then noisy haha. Also, preparing the night before gives me some quiet time too while they're asleep :p Simple peasy and fun for sensory play is making homemade play dough or sand! And I let them 'cook' with me too, which they think is pretty cool - measuring ingredients etc. They're very hands-on and love squishing stuff. Then after, we do some artsy thing with the creations, painting or decorating. Can get a little messy though so I usually have an impromptu shower cap on stand by haha! But it's all good fun and makes for great bonding time and memories :)
Awesome ideas you have there! Treasure hunts are a wonderful way to keep them engaged and excited! I love the idea of incorporating different textures and senses into the mix too.

Letting them 'cook' with you is a great way to teach them about measurements and ingredients - a fun and tasty way to learn! Arts and crafts always leave some room for creativity as well. Does anyone else have some fun sensory activities that are tried and tested? Share share! :D

Reactions: cissy
Awesome ideas you have there! Treasure hunts are a wonderful way to keep them engaged and excited! I love the idea of incorporating different textures and senses into the mix too.

Letting them 'cook' with you is a great way to teach them about measurements and ingredients - a fun and tasty way to learn! Arts and crafts always leave some room for creativity as well. Does anyone else have some fun sensory activities that are tried and tested? Share share! :D
I've been wanting to try something new with my toddlers too, so I'm Glad you asked! :p One idea which I think will be fun is creating our own DIY sensory bags! Basically, it's a sealed bag with different textures and colors inside for the kids to squeeze and feel. You can use hair gels or those gooey bath toys as well, anything slimy and squishy essentially haha. Or even better, make your own with flour and food coloring! It's supposed to be a fun way to let them explore textures and also work those fine motor skills by squeezing the bag.

The other one I've seen is creating a "Busy Board." Basically a wooden board with different locks, buckles, Velcros, zippers etc. for them to fiddle with and figure out. It's supposed to help them develop their motor skills and spatial awareness too, plus it keeps them busy figuring out all the different fastenings! You can DIY or get one online too - lots of cool designs these days!

Both are portable too, handy for some quiet time at cafes or on planes :p What other eco-friendly and engaging hacks do you guys have?!

Some more toddler activity ideas:
- I spy game - using household objects, describe an item and have your toddler search for it. Encourages visual discrimination! You can make it a sensory bin search with hidden treasures they have to feel around to find.
- Paint with ice cubes! Fill ice trays with water and a few drops of food coloring, freeze, then hand them over to your little one. Keep those fine motor skills developing and keep them cool too!
- Simple scavenger hunts - collect some natural materials like leaves, sticks, flowers etc on your walk and set up a scavenger hunt for your tot. Have them collect all the items and make a nature collage when they're done! Promotes sensory exploration and encourages physical activity.
Love the ideas above too, especially that busy board - so many learning opportunities!

- I spy game - using household objects, describe an item and have your toddler search for it. Encourages visual discrimination! You can make it a sensory bin search with hidden treasures they have to feel around to find.
- Paint with ice cubes! Fill ice trays with water and a few drops of food coloring, freeze, then hand them over to your little one. Keep those fine motor skills developing and keep them cool too!
- Simple scavenger hunts - collect some natural materials like leaves, sticks, flowers etc on your walk and set up a scavenger hunt for your tot. Have them collect all the items and make a nature collage when they're done! Promotes sensory exploration and encourages physical activity.
Love the ideas above too, especially that busy board - so many learning opportunities!
The busy board is at the top of my list now! It's fantastic how creative parents can get to keep their little ones engaged without screens. My kids would love the ice painting, especially on a hot day like today. We will definitely be trying these!

Another idea is to hide the ice paintings around the house, and have your toddler be a "detective" to find them as they melt and drip down the walls! You could even specify the colors to be hunted. It's fun to watch how focused they get!

The busy board is at the top of my list now! It's fantastic how creative parents can get to keep their little ones engaged without screens. My kids would love the ice painting, especially on a hot day like today. We will definitely be trying these!
Busy boards are so handy and creative Happy to share ideas that keep the little ones occupied and hopefully give parents some well-deserved downtime too. Enjoy those artsy messy moments with the ice painting - remember to prepare old shirts or aprons too!

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays
Another idea is to hide the ice paintings around the house, and have your toddler be a "detective" to find them as they melt and drip down the walls! You could even specify the colors to be hunted. It's fun to watch how focused they get!
Oh wow, that's a fab extension of the activity! Makes it extra fun and engaging for them. Love the sensory and messy play ideas too - always good to let them explore and get a little wild! 😁

Oh wow, that's a fab extension of the activity! Makes it extra fun and engaging for them. Love the sensory and messy play ideas too - always good to let them explore and get a little wild! 😁
Yeah, the hidden paintings keep their attention span engaged, and you're right; they do love some good old messy play!

Reactions: sunnydays
Yeah, the hidden paintings keep their attention span engaged, and you're right; they do love some good old messy play!
Messy play is definitely one of the best ways to keep the little ones entertained and stimulated. Do you have any other toddler tips up your sleeve? Something easy and simple yet engaging would be great as most parents are time-crunched these days :)

Messy play is definitely one of the best ways to keep the little ones entertained and stimulated. Do you have any other toddler tips up your sleeve? Something easy and simple yet engaging would be great as most parents are time-crunched these days :)
I'd say a simple game of hide-and-seek around the house or at the park works well too! Toddlers love the element of surprise and the thrill of being "lost" and then found. It's also an excellent way to work on their motor skills and senses. Plus, it's easy for parents and toddlers alike - win-win situation!

I'd say a simple game of hide-and-seek around the house or at the park works well too! Toddlers love the element of surprise and the thrill of being "lost" and then found. It's also an excellent way to work on their motor skills and senses. Plus, it's easy for parents and toddlers alike - win-win situation!
Oh, ya! My older one still remembers the good ol' days when we played lots of hide-and-seek with her and her friends at the nearby park. It's a good, classic game that's never failing! Are there any specific places you recommend for hiding :p ?

• Love
Reactions: joyful
Oh, ya! My older one still remembers the good ol' days when we played lots of hide-and-seek with her and her friends at the nearby park. It's a good, classic game that's never failing! Are there any specific places you recommend for hiding :p ?
There are some good spots to hide in the park! I especially like the area behind the big slide or the bushy shrubs, which provide ample space to conceal yourself and are away from the usual paths. But shhhh...that's my secret hiding place ;) What other fun games do you play with your little one?

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
There are some good spots to hide in the park! I especially like the area behind the big slide or the bushy shrubs, which provide ample space to conceal yourself and are away from the usual paths. But shhhh...that's my secret hiding place ;) What other fun games do you play with your little one?
Some days when we're at home, I'll break out the toys and games for an old-school indoor picnic! Set up a little picnic blanket and pull out her favourite toys and books. It's a nice change of scene and she gets to enjoy her favourites all in one go! It also sparks nostalgia for my childhood memories :'). Does your toddler have a favorite toy or game?

• Love
Reactions: musical and cissy
Some days when we're at home, I'll break out the toys and games for an old-school indoor picnic! Set up a little picnic blanket and pull out her favourite toys and books. It's a nice change of scene and she gets to enjoy her favourites all in one go! It also sparks nostalgia for my childhood memories :'). Does your toddler have a favorite toy or game?
My tot loves his stuffed animals! He's especially attached to his teddy bear, bringing it everywhere, which is super adorable. But he also enjoys games like peek-a-boo and any activity that involves lots of running around and hide-and-seek.

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia and joyful
That's so cute! My little one is really into her stuffies too - she has a whole menagerie and likes to snuggle with a different one each night.

She also loves hide-and-seek - it's so much fun watching them scamper off to find a hiding place, giggling the whole time! I've found that turning on some upbeat music makes an especially fun game - they get so into finding the best hiding spot then running back to 'tag' you when the song changes.

That's so cute! My little one is really into her stuffies too - she has a whole menagerie and likes to snuggle with a different one each night.

She also loves hide-and-seek - it's so much fun watching them scamper off to find a hiding place, giggling the whole time! I've found that turning on some upbeat music makes an especially fun game - they get so into finding the best hiding spot then running back to 'tag' you when the song changes.
Music is a great idea to spice things up and keep everyone excited! Toddler's tastes and interests can be very unpredictable, though. One day they love something and the next day it's yesterday's news.

Music is a great idea to spice things up and keep everyone excited! Toddler's tastes and interests can be very unpredictable, though. One day they love something and the next day it's yesterday's news.
So true! You never know what will capture their little hearts and imaginations! Keeping things fresh and fun can be a challenge but also such a joy:) I find that taking my cues from my toddler helps - if she's suddenly super into cats, why not embrace it and whip out all the cat-themed toys and books?!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
So true! You never know what will capture their little hearts and imaginations! Keeping things fresh and fun can be a challenge but also such a joy:) I find that taking my cues from my toddler helps - if she's suddenly super into cats, why not embrace it and whip out all the cat-themed toys and books?!
That's an excellent approach! Toddlers have a way of keeping you on your toes. Might as well enjoy the ride and make lots of happy memories along the way!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu