• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Tips

wellness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
The discussion centred on sharing tips and strategies for managing toddler behaviours, specifically addressing melt downs and keeping them engaged and entertained. Diversionary tactics, simple explanations, and short timeouts were recommended for handling minor melt downs. To avoid boredom-induced tantrums, parents suggested organised activities suited to short attention spans, such as rotating toys and books, outdoor excursions, nature walks, and engaging sensory play. Calming techniques like deep breathing and dedicated "calming corners" at home were also shared for more intense meltdowns. Several parents mentioned the effectiveness of playful songs and dances, scavenger hunts, and age-appropriate activities that kept toddlers entertained and encouraged their natural curiosity. The key to success seemed to be providing a variety of entertaining options suited to short attention spans and plenty of physical activity to channel their energy.

Toddlers, while incredibly cute and fun, can also be quite challenging! What are your go-to tips for managing the inevitable meltdowns and encouraging good behavior?

Any strategies you've found useful for fostering patience, kindness, and general calm would be so welcome here! I'll gather some of my own tricks up to share too.

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
Toddlers, while incredibly cute and fun, can also be quite challenging! What are your go-to tips for managing the inevitable meltdowns and encouraging good behavior?

Any strategies you've found useful for fostering patience, kindness, and general calm would be so welcome here! I'll gather some of my own tricks up to share too.
Diversionary tactics work well for short circuits. For melt downs, I give a quick 5-minute time out and explain in simple terms what went wrong and why she should not repeat it afterward.

For pre-empting meltdowns due to boredom, keeping my girl engaged with age-appropriate activities helps, especially with her short attention span! I rotate a few toys and books so they feel "new" every few days. This keeps things interesting, haha!

That's a great strategy! Timeouts combined with simple explanations are a wonderful way to go about dealing with short circuits and melt downs. And your toy rotation idea is awesome! Keeping them engaged with new activities every few days is a wonderful tip to avoid boredom-induced meltdowns. I especially like how you accommodate her short attention span - this is such an essential consideration for little ones.

Thank you! The toy rotation has been a lifesaver on days when I'm busy or need to prep meals or do some cleaning, it's great to have that go-to distraction bin for her. And yes, accommodations are so important - especially with attention spans these days, haha! I find that short, simple explanations seem to work best and keep everyone sane.

Reactions: sportytina
Diversionary tactics work well for short circuits. For melt downs, I give a quick 5-minute time out and explain in simple terms what went wrong and why she should not repeat it afterward.

For pre-empting meltdowns due to boredom, keeping my girl engaged with age-appropriate activities helps, especially with her short attention span! I rotate a few toys and books so they feel "new" every few days. This keeps things interesting, haha!
Agree on the distraction method for short circuits! It's amazing how toddler meltdowns can be averted with some quick, simple distractions.

For bigger meltdowns, I'd go with a calming technique I picked up from a yoga class for toddlers: Deep breaths and counting backwards from 10 together. seems to help her relax and reset, and is a good strategy against tantrums in public too! Also, having a special "calming corner" at home with some soothing toys and music helps her self-soothe when she's really worked up.

As for preventing boredom, aside from rotating toys, I make sure to have a variety of outdoor activities on hand - a short walk, a trip to the playground, or just dancing together to some catchy music in the living room! Getting that energy out is a huge boredom buster!

That's a great strategy! Timeouts combined with simple explanations are a wonderful way to go about dealing with short circuits and melt downs. And your toy rotation idea is awesome! Keeping them engaged with new activities every few days is a wonderful tip to avoid boredom-induced meltdowns. I especially like how you accommodate her short attention span - this is such an essential consideration for little ones.
Glad to hear that you found some of the strategies useful! It's definitely challenging to keep up with a toddler's short attention span, so it's worthwhile to have a few tricks up our sleeves as mums.

Thank you! The toy rotation has been a lifesaver on days when I'm busy or need to prep meals or do some cleaning, it's great to have that go-to distraction bin for her. And yes, accommodations are so important - especially with attention spans these days, haha! I find that short, simple explanations seem to work best and keep everyone sane.
I totally agree! It's amazing how much easier it becomes when you acknowledge and plan for their short attention spans. My kiddo also responds well to straightforward explanations, which I think helps with his sense of predictability. He knows what to expect and can plan his reactions accordingly - such a simple yet overlooked strategy!

Some parents might benefit from explaining things in a playful, sing-song manner too, almost like a little ritual or game. That way, the toddlers feel involved and engaged instead of being spoken down to. I find that keeping them engaged is half the battle won!

Agree on the distraction method for short circuits! It's amazing how toddler meltdowns can be averted with some quick, simple distractions.

For bigger meltdowns, I'd go with a calming technique I picked up from a yoga class for toddlers: Deep breaths and counting backwards from 10 together. seems to help her relax and reset, and is a good strategy against tantrums in public too! Also, having a special "calming corner" at home with some soothing toys and music helps her self-soothe when she's really worked up.

As for preventing boredom, aside from rotating toys, I make sure to have a variety of outdoor activities on hand - a short walk, a trip to the playground, or just dancing together to some catchy music in the living room! Getting that energy out is a huge boredom buster!
Yes Simple distractions and quick thinking can save the day, haha! I find that keeping things exciting and new also helps my tot stay engaged, especially when we're indoor. For outside, bubble soap and a feather duster work like magic too!

I totally agree! It's amazing how much easier it becomes when you acknowledge and plan for their short attention spans. My kiddo also responds well to straightforward explanations, which I think helps with his sense of predictability. He knows what to expect and can plan his reactions accordingly - such a simple yet overlooked strategy!

Some parents might benefit from explaining things in a playful, sing-song manner too, almost like a little ritual or game. That way, the toddlers feel involved and engaged instead of being spoken down to. I find that keeping them engaged is half the battle won!
Oh yes, I agree! Keeping them engaged and making activities fun certainly helps. A little song and dance never hurts, ha! And it's so true - often it's the simplest ideas that work the best :)

Oh yes, I agree! Keeping them engaged and making activities fun certainly helps. A little song and dance never hurts, ha! And it's so true - often it's the simplest ideas that work the best :)
Hahaha the songs and dances definitely make things more fun! Sometimes I catch myself doing the same toddler-friendly actions/gestures long after the activity is over - they're just so catchy! And you're so right; simple, short, and straightforward is often the way to go with toddlers. Keeps their interest piqued without overwhelming them.

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
I know, it's like a toddler takeover of your body! There's no harm in having fun and being silly though, and it definitely helps to keep those catchy songs and actions in mind when trying to entertain little ones. Short and sweet is the way to go!

So true - short, fun and silly are the key! I often find myself doing the actions to 'Old Macdonald Had a Farm' long after the class has finished. Keeps them entertained though doesn't it?!

• Love
Reactions: musical
I know, it's like a toddler takeover of your body! There's no harm in having fun and being silly though, and it definitely helps to keep those catchy songs and actions in mind when trying to entertain little ones. Short and sweet is the way to go!
Yah! They have all these crazy ideas and so much energy to run around non-stop, very entertaining but can also be tiring man! Got to match their energy some how hahaha. Short attention spans too, so we gotta be quick with our moves! Catchy melodies are a definite yes to grab their focus!

Reactions: lioness
So true - short, fun and silly are the key! I often find myself doing the actions to 'Old Macdonald Had a Farm' long after the class has finished. Keeps them entertained though doesn't it?!
I know what you mean! Those action songs are sneaky because they get stuck in your head, and before you know it, you're still singing them at the end of the day. The kids definitely appreciate the energy teachers put into keeping them engaged!

Yah! They have all these crazy ideas and so much energy to run around non-stop, very entertaining but can also be tiring man! Got to match their energy some how hahaha. Short attention spans too, so we gotta be quick with our moves! Catchy melodies are a definite yes to grab their focus!
It's exhausting just trying to keep up with their relentless energy! Planning activities is a great way to channel their attention spans, and keeping things diverse helps too. Before long, the same old tricks won't work, so mix it up! Keep 'em guessing! 😅

Reactions: techsavvy
It's exhausting just trying to keep up with their relentless energy! Planning activities is a great way to channel their attention spans, and keeping things diverse helps too. Before long, the same old tricks won't work, so mix it up! Keep 'em guessing! 😅
True ah! I usually find that taking them outdoor works well to blow off some of their excess energy, plus gives them a good dose of Vitamin D. But then got to be careful these days with so much going around. Park-hopping, or just a simple walk around the neighborhood with various pit stops to observe the environment is a great sensory experience for them!

True ah! I usually find that taking them outdoor works well to blow off some of their excess energy, plus gives them a good dose of Vitamin D. But then got to be careful these days with so much going around. Park-hopping, or just a simple walk around the neighborhood with various pit stops to observe the environment is a great sensory experience for them!
I totally agree! I'm sure many toddlers would love the excitement of exploring different parks and finding new play equipment. It's also amazing how curious they are about their surroundings. My little one loves observing little details, from leaves falling to cats meowing.. and of course, playing with the occasional friendly pup! It's a great way to engage their senses and keep them grounded, quite literally!

I totally agree! I'm sure many toddlers would love the excitement of exploring different parks and finding new play equipment. It's also amazing how curious they are about their surroundings. My little one loves observing little details, from leaves falling to cats meowing.. and of course, playing with the occasional friendly pup! It's a great way to engage their senses and keep them grounded, quite literally!
Wah your toddler very observe right? Mine also likes looking at little details, especially when we go for nature walks. I find that these experiences are good in stimulating their curiosity and it helps to ask them lots of questions too, to keep them thinking and enhance their cognitive skills! Like a simple one - what colour is the leaf? Or prompt them to observe the sounds around etc.

Reactions: cissy
Wah your toddler very observe right? Mine also likes looking at little details, especially when we go for nature walks. I find that these experiences are good in stimulating their curiosity and it helps to ask them lots of questions too, to keep them thinking and enhance their cognitive skills! Like a simple one - what colour is the leaf? Or prompt them to observe the sounds around etc.
Yes, he's quite an observer I'm trying to foster his curiosity too, it's amazing how toddlers' minds work isn't it? I find that giving tot-sized Scavenger hunts or nature hunts during our walks really engage their curious little minds. Like hunting for 'something red', or finding interesting stones or sticks. Open-ended questions also seem to work well and keep them engaged longer. You're right about the learning benefits too; it's almost like a stealth way of getting them to exercise their brain muscles!

Yes, he's quite an observer I'm trying to foster his curiosity too, it's amazing how toddlers' minds work isn't it? I find that giving tot-sized Scavenger hunts or nature hunts during our walks really engage their curious little minds. Like hunting for 'something red', or finding interesting stones or sticks. Open-ended questions also seem to work well and keep them engaged longer. You're right about the learning benefits too; it's almost like a stealth way of getting them to exercise their brain muscles!
True, there are many ways to keep their curiosity going! Stealthed learning has so much benefit for their holistic growth and development! Aside from nature walks, does anyone have other recommendations for activities that engage our little toddlers' curious minds? Remember, every little bit of input helps shape their world!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu