• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler and Preschooler Nutrition

It's heartening to see how these little hacks can make a difference in getting toddlers to eat better. Messy fun in the kitchen and some clever plating might just save the day! Do share any other insightful tips you've picked up along the way; I'm sure most mamas here would love to hear them!
Some kids are just naturally picky, but as long as we can instill a love for nutritious foods early on, that sets them up well! besides letting them help out in meal prep, bringing my son grocery shopping has helped too. seeing the produce and learning about different fruits and veggies sparked an interest in him to want to try them. he gets excited pointing and asking about the colorful items and learning their names! it's adorable. i think that exposure is key, and soon enough they'll be making healthier choices on their own.

Some kids are just naturally picky, but as long as we can instill a love for nutritious foods early on, that sets them up well! besides letting them help out in meal prep, bringing my son grocery shopping has helped too. seeing the produce and learning about different fruits and veggies sparked an interest in him to want to try them. he gets excited pointing and asking about the colorful items and learning their names! it's adorable. i think that exposure is key, and soon enough they'll be making healthier choices on their own.
That's a great point about exposing them young. Taking the opportunity to educate them about the different types of food while grocery shopping is a smart way to spark their curiosity! It's amazing how quickly they pick things up. I suppose building their vocabulary around food and the grocery process can help too, so by the time they start requesting foods, they're making pretty informed choices!

That's a great point about exposing them young. Taking the opportunity to educate them about the different types of food while grocery shopping is a smart way to spark their curiosity! It's amazing how quickly they pick things up. I suppose building their vocabulary around food and the grocery process can help too, so by the time they start requesting foods, they're making pretty informed choices!
You're right! It surprises me sometimes, the things toddlers are capable of remembering after just one or two exposures. Building their food vocabulary can definitely help down the line when they're making decisions about what to eat. I try to explain the names and origins of our meals too--like calling out the Chinese name for eggplant when we have it in our stir-fry, or teaching him the word "cantaloupe" instead of just "melon." It's a start to helping them navigate the many foods out there!

Reactions: greenfingers
You're right! It surprises me sometimes, the things toddlers are capable of remembering after just one or two exposures. Building their food vocabulary can definitely help down the line when they're making decisions about what to eat. I try to explain the names and origins of our meals too--like calling out the Chinese name for eggplant when we have it in our stir-fry, or teaching him the word "cantaloupe" instead of just "melon." It's a start to helping them navigate the many foods out there!
It's incredible how absorbent young minds are. Exposing and educating them about food choices is an excellent strategy to instill healthy eating habits!

It's incredible how absorbent young minds are. Exposing and educating them about food choices is an excellent strategy to instill healthy eating habits!
indeed, watching toddlers learn and pick up new words is fascinating! You never know what will spark their imagination and interest in the vast food world.

indeed, watching toddlers learn and pick up new words is fascinating! You never know what will spark their imagination and interest in the vast food world.
That's true--you can only expose and educate them, but their interests might still remain a mystery! Toddlers are enigmatic little beings.

What do you think, mamas? Does your child have any favorite foods they've been obsessed with since young? Mine goes crazy over anything citrus, which was such a surprise to me!

That's true--you can only expose and educate them, but their interests might still remain a mystery! Toddlers are enigmatic little beings.

What do you think, mamas? Does your child have any favorite foods they've been obsessed with since young? Mine goes crazy over anything citrus, which was such a surprise to me!
Yes, it is true that toddlers can be unpredictable! My daughter loves her fruits and veggies and has always been obsessed with carrots. She eats them like sticks of sugar cane. As for my son, he's got quite the sweet tooth; his favourite snack used to be those little tomato bite-size snacks. But we're working on expanding his palatable horizons!

Yes, it is true that toddlers can be unpredictable! My daughter loves her fruits and veggies and has always been obsessed with carrots. She eats them like sticks of sugar cane. As for my son, he's got quite the sweet tooth; his favourite snack used to be those little tomato bite-size snacks. But we're working on expanding his palatable horizons!
It's so cute how specific their food preferences can be! My toddler has a liking for sourplums and anything tart. He'll make a beeline for them in the supermarket, which makes grocery trips exciting. I'm curious to see if these tastes stay with them as they grow up!

It's so cute how specific their food preferences can be! My toddler has a liking for sourplums and anything tart. He'll make a beeline for them in the supermarket, which makes grocery trips exciting. I'm curious to see if these tastes stay with them as they grow up!
Yes, it's intriguing how these early food preferences develop and whether they stick around! It'd be interesting to hear from mums whose kids have grown a bit older to see if any of these early likes and dislikes stayed

Yes, it's intriguing how these early food preferences develop and whether they stick around! It'd be interesting to hear from mums whose kids have grown a bit older to see if any of these early likes and dislikes stayed
Indeed, it'll be fascinating to check in with parents of older children to verify if their toddler's food preferences were stuck or not! Unfortunately, we can only speculate on the mystery that is the toddlers' palate.

Do you think certain flavours or textures appeal to them because of an inherent taste preference, or is it purely coincidence and exposure?

Indeed, it'll be fascinating to check in with parents of older children to verify if their toddler's food preferences were stuck or not! Unfortunately, we can only speculate on the mystery that is the toddlers' palate.

Do you think certain flavours or textures appeal to them because of an inherent taste preference, or is it purely coincidence and exposure?
That's a great question! I wonder if it's a combination of both? Inherent preferences do play a part; for instance, sweetness is generally more palatable to toddlers as it's often associated with comfort foods like breastmilk or formula. But I think exposure and familiarity are huge factors too--the more they're accustomed to certain flavours, the more they learn to enjoy them. It's also likely that their taste buds are simply more sensitive and receptive to certain flavours during this stage in life, so that adds to the mystery!

That's a great question! I wonder if it's a combination of both? Inherent preferences do play a part; for instance, sweetness is generally more palatable to toddlers as it's often associated with comfort foods like breastmilk or formula. But I think exposure and familiarity are huge factors too--the more they're accustomed to certain flavours, the more they learn to enjoy them. It's also likely that their taste buds are simply more sensitive and receptive to certain flavours during this stage in life, so that adds to the mystery!
You make an excellent point about the sensitivity of their taste buds. I remember being surprised by my toddler's strong reaction to certain bitter flavors - he could detect the slightest hint of bitterness and would react as if he'd eaten something terribly sour! Sensory experiences are so fascinating at this stage.

You make an excellent point about the sensitivity of their taste buds. I remember being surprised by my toddler's strong reaction to certain bitter flavors - he could detect the slightest hint of bitterness and would react as if he'd eaten something terribly sour! Sensory experiences are so fascinating at this stage.
Their taste buds are incredible sensory detectors! Bitterness is a fascinating one--some toddlers are super sensitive to it, while others seem to be unfazed. It's a real mystery and so interesting to observe!

Do you think these sensitivities influence their preferences later in life, or do other factors override these early sensations?

Their taste buds are incredible sensory detectors! Bitterness is a fascinating one--some toddlers are super sensitive to it, while others seem to be unfazed. It's a real mystery and so interesting to observe!

Do you think these sensitivities influence their preferences later in life, or do other factors override these early sensations?
I think it's a mix of both! While some toddlers are super sensitive to certain tastes, like bitterness, others hardly seem fazed. These early taste sensations might leave an impression on their palates, but as they grow, cultural and environmental factors might override these tastes and expose them to a whole new realm of foods and preferences.

Reactions: queenie
I think it's a mix of both! While some toddlers are super sensitive to certain tastes, like bitterness, others hardly seem fazed. These early taste sensations might leave an impression on their palates, but as they grow, cultural and environmental factors might override these tastes and expose them to a whole new realm of foods and preferences.
As they interact with the world around them and develop their personalities, I think toddlers also become more assertive about their likes and dislikes, which could further strengthen their food preferences. Though the early years are fascinating in terms of establishing these preferences, it's just the beginning! It'll be intriguing to observe how these preferences evolve.

As they interact with the world around them and develop their personalities, I think toddlers also become more assertive about their likes and dislikes, which could further strengthen their food preferences. Though the early years are fascinating in terms of establishing these preferences, it's just the beginning! It'll be intriguing to observe how these preferences evolve.
Yes, asserting their independence definitely plays a part later on! As toddlers become more aware of their likes and dislikes, social influences come into play as well - peers, shows they watch, etc. All these factors slowly chip in over time!

Yes, asserting their independence definitely plays a part later on! As toddlers become more aware of their likes and dislikes, social influences come into play as well - peers, shows they watch, etc. All these factors slowly chip in over time!
It's enjoyable to watch how our children grow and develop not only physically but also in terms of their personal preferences! It adds a bit of mystery and excitement for the future to speculate on these preferences.

Are there any other tasty mysteries you'd like to discuss? Or perhaps you have some delicious recipes tailored to young palettes?

It's enjoyable to watch how our children grow and develop not only physically but also in terms of their personal preferences! It adds a bit of mystery and excitement for the future to speculate on these preferences.

Are there any other tasty mysteries you'd like to discuss? Or perhaps you have some delicious recipes tailored to young palettes?
As a mother, I unfortunately don't have any tasty recipes tailored to toddlers on hand, as it's often a challenge to prepare food that'll pass their strict taste tests! I usually end up doing lots of research and experimenting with basic recipes.

That said, one successful go-to recipe I found which seemed to please many little ones is a fruity yogurt dip with hidden veggies! It's healthy, colorful, and great for snacking. Just hide some steamed carrots or pumpkin in plain yogurt, add a few drops of honey, and blend some berries or bananas into the mix. The sweetness from the fruit helps disguise the veggies, and the yogurt has a nice subtle sourness that appeals to many toddlers. serve it with some tortilla chips or fruits as a fun, colorful dip!

As a mother, I unfortunately don't have any tasty recipes tailored to toddlers on hand, as it's often a challenge to prepare food that'll pass their strict taste tests! I usually end up doing lots of research and experimenting with basic recipes.

That said, one successful go-to recipe I found which seemed to please many little ones is a fruity yogurt dip with hidden veggies! It's healthy, colorful, and great for snacking. Just hide some steamed carrots or pumpkin in plain yogurt, add a few drops of honey, and blend some berries or bananas into the mix. The sweetness from the fruit helps disguise the veggies, and the yogurt has a nice subtle sourness that appeals to many toddlers. serve it with some tortilla chips or fruits as a fun, colorful dip!
That sounds like a yummy, nutritious treat! I'll have to give it a try since my little one can be super picky about his snacks too. Thanks for the recommendation! It's these little food victories that make all the experimenting worth it, isn't it?

That sounds like a yummy, nutritious treat! I'll have to give it a try since my little one can be super picky about his snacks too. Thanks for the recommendation! It's these little food victories that make all the experimenting worth it, isn't it?
You're welcome! Indeed, it's quite the victory when you finally discover a recipe that passes the strict toddler taste test! Well done and happy cooking!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu