• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Tips for successful potty training struggles

You got it, momma! It does get better - and hearing these helpful hacks makes me nostalgic for those cute potty-training days... said no mom ever! Seriously though, you all rock!
It's reassuring to know that other moms have gone through similar struggles and emerged victorious with creative workarounds. Here's to embracing the craziness and finding joy in these challenging phases of motherhood, Cheers!

Reactions: doctormama
It can be daunting at first, this whole potty-training business - but it gets easier once you figure out what works best for your tot! It's nice to have some tricks up our sleeves as mothers.
I'm glad we could share experiences and offer some advice on managing the challenges of potty training! Better days ahead, folks. Cheers!

You're right about toddler bathrooms situations being quite challenging! Having some form of predictability in an otherwise unpredictable situation helps them cope better.
Some toddlers take longer than others to warm up to new experiences, and that's okay. With potty-training, it's crucial to remember their young age and lack of bodily awareness and control. Giving them time and space to explore at their pace is so important, along with lots of positive reinforcement!

Reactions: cissy
You got it, momma! It does get better - and hearing these helpful hacks makes me nostalgic for those cute potty-training days... said no mom ever! Seriously though, you all rock!
As a parent, there are so many challenging phases to navigate, and toilet training is definitely one of them. For first-time parents, the whole experience can be daunting, but with each child, you get better at navigating these uncharted waters. older siblings can also be a great help, as they often offer sibling encouragement and helpful advice, consciously or not!

The variety of successful tips and tricks shared above has been so encouraging! At this rate, we'll have a whole bunch of potty-pros in no time. It's great to hear everyone's experiences and perspectives - they say every child is different, so it's good to have such a versatile arsenal of techniques! Keep those ideas flowing mummas!
the struggle to potty train is real, and every bit of help is appreciated!

Food incentives are a great idea! They say the way to a person's heart is through their stomach, and this holds especially true for little toddlers who are particular about their favorite foods. Plus points for getting the whole family involved!

What other creative incentives or strategies have worked well for others?
Some toddlers are motivated by toys or privileges like playing with their favorite gadgets - an occasional treat at a special play area or a promised trip to the playground works well, too! For the sticker-loving kid, throwing in a sheet of their favorite themed stickers for every successful potty run adds excitement. When all else fails, mom's yummy homebaked goodies could be the ultimate bribery... I mean, encouragement!

Reactions: mamamia
Some kids really are particular about their potty experience, aren't they? I find that letting them pick their own potty design and giving them some control over the entire experience might help with the phobia of strange new thrones.
Having them choose and be involved in the process adds a layer of excitement to an otherwise mundane activity! It's great to hear these little hacks to make this phase more enjoyable.

The variety of successful tips and tricks shared above has been so encouraging! At this rate, we'll have a whole bunch of potty-pros in no time. It's great to hear everyone's experiences and perspectives - they say every child is different, so it's good to have such a versatile arsenal of techniques! Keep those ideas flowing mummas!
There are many ways to tackle the potty training challenge, and it's fascinating to discover these creative solutions! Each shared experience helps other desperate mums save their sanity!

Food incentives are a great idea! They say the way to a person's heart is through their stomach, and this holds especially true for little toddlers who are particular about their favorite foods. Plus points for getting the whole family involved!

What other creative incentives or strategies have worked well for others?
Some children respond well to non-food rewards like stickers or tiny toys - an excellent option for those with picky eaters! Making it a group effort with lots of praises and celebration also seems to help motivate the little ones.

• Love
Reactions: queenie
With some children, it's all about the distractions! Having them so engaged that they barely realize they're going until it's done is a huge win because everyone stays happy. For my little one, I got some small surprise toys and rewarded her only when she did her business outside of our home. The element of surprise kept her intrigued and motivated!
That's an ingenious idea to keep them so occupied they don't realize what's happening! Toddlerhood is such a fascinating stage - you have to capture their short attention spans somehow, and rewards are a great way to do that!

With some children, it's all about the distractions! Having them so engaged that they barely realize they're going until it's done is a huge win because everyone stays happy. For my little one, I got some small surprise toys and rewarded her only when she did her business outside of our home. The element of surprise kept her intrigued and motivated!
That's an excellent strategy to keep them so engaged and excited! Well done!

Stubborn cases call for an even more creative approach! For those still struggling, perhaps throwing a tiny, kid-friendly party to celebrate their new potty chair could help. Let them invite their favorite toys and have a little fun sitting on it while singing the latest nursery rhyme hit. It never hurts to bring out the snacks too!
Having a consistent and familiar routine away from home goes a long way too - bringing along a trusted potty seat cover or familiar toilet training tools could help with their reluctance.

Having that special bag packed just for toilet training adventures could be fun for them and less stressful for us parents as well! It's like their own secret mission pack, complete with code words and all. You're right about the regression though; it's a real challenge to keep up the hard-won progress especially after a break. Re-adjusting is harder the older they get, so I appreciate the effort and creativity that goes into keeping our kids on track! Any tips on getting children excited about resuming potty training after a holiday would be welcome!
Creating a potty-training "on-the-go" kit could also help with continuity. A small, dedicated bag stashed away with familiar potty tools and gadgets could make things less intimidating - almost like having a magical, portable, comfort zone! A holiday is such a fun and exciting time that resuming training afterward might not be so bad; it's a great opportunity to re-focus and keep the progress going.

All the shared tips on familiarity, continuity, and incentives are bound to help frazzled parents out there. Reward systems work well for many toddlers but not so much for others; mine responded well to a bit of healthy competition. We made it into a game where we kept track of his progress on a chart and awarded small prizes for consecutive successful attempts. That said, I wouldn't recommend this if your child is sensitive or doesn't take losses well - it could be stressful for them!

For those who might try the reward system, I've found that prizes don't have to be expensive or extravagant. Simple favors worked for us - my son was (and still is) obsessed with balloons, so that was our go-to incentive for many early milestones!
Yes every child has their own preferences and what works for one might not work for another! Balloon rewards are a creative and affordable idea that could easily excite the younger ones. It's wonderful to have such a customizable incentive!

All the shared tips on familiarity, continuity, and incentives are bound to help frazzled parents out there. Reward systems work well for many toddlers but not so much for others; mine responded well to a bit of healthy competition. We made it into a game where we kept track of his progress on a chart and awarded small prizes for consecutive successful attempts. That said, I wouldn't recommend this if your child is sensitive or doesn't take losses well - it could be stressful for them!

For those who might try the reward system, I've found that prizes don't have to be expensive or extravagant. Simple favors worked for us - my son was (and still is) obsessed with balloons, so that was our go-to incentive for many early milestones!
The excitement over the potential of winning is a great encouragement! And you're right; the rewards need not be costly at all - the satisfaction and achievement from mastering this necessary life skill are quite the prize themselves.

You're right about toddler bathrooms situations being quite challenging! Having some form of predictability in an otherwise unpredictable situation helps them cope better.
a fixed routine and some familiarity amidst the newness can help toddlers feel less overwhelmed! It's like their little safe bubble within a foreign environment.

I'm glad we could share experiences and offer some advice on managing the challenges of potty training! Better days ahead, folks. Cheers!
There's light at the end of the tunnel - here's hoping everyone finds their potty-training struggles a breeze after discovering the perfect approach for their little ones!

Having a pre-rehearsed strategy and a contingency plan is definitely the way to go for such situations. Good on you for keeping your cool and turning it into a funny incident instead - kids will be kids after all, and accidents happen! A song and dance - or any ridiculousness that catches their fancy - is bound to make everyone forget the hassle, and might just become a cherished memory down the road. What other cute strategies have worked for you guys?
Being prepared for the unexpected is half the battle won - as parents, we know our kids best and can anticipate (and plan!) those moments where all hell breaks loose.

It's great how you handled the situation calmly with a humorous touch! Keeping a straight face while managing toddlers is a skill in itself!
Toddlers will test every ounce of our patience but keeping a sense of humour about these situations helps, doesn't it? We should start a potty training survival guide; might as well include some humorous anecdotes along with the tips!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu