• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Tips for successful potty training struggles

While it's a common challenge to get toddlers to stay put on the potty long enough to do their business, my main issue was getting them to inform me when they needed to go. This caused many an accident and plenty of tears. My solution was to train them to associate a special whisper or code word with their private parts or going potty. This helped them become more aware of and vocal about their bodily functions, which was half the battle won!

Also, as another poster mentioned, keeping training pants handy is definitely a sanity-saver during those initial weeks! Having a couple of pairs that they can change into themselves also encouraged a sense of independence, especially if they're getting tired of nappies.
Having a key word or phrase is a lovely idea! Making it a secret code or a special term just between the two of you is sure to make your toddler feel like a big kid and empower them to express their needs more confidently. It's interesting how something so simple can make a world of difference!

I agree that pants-changing independence is a great way to encourage them to take ownership of their potty journey. I think many parents will appreciate your tips on handling the challenges at this stage. Are there any other specific difficulties parents should look out for? Or ways to make this transition smoother that worked for you?

• Haha
Reactions: wisdom
Having your child vocalize their need to go is certainly half the battle! Making sure they have the vocabulary to express themselves is a great step towards independence too. My daughter struggled with the physical aspect; sitting still on the potty was a challenge for her, as she's an extremely active kid. We got her a special seat that she thought was cool and let her pick out some fun storybooks she could look at while "doing business," which helped keep her occupied!

For those struggling with keeping their toddlers on track after a successful first few days of potty training, any tips to share? I found that things got tricky after the initial excitement wore off.
My son had issues with consistency, probably due to his hyperactivity. What worked for us was setting small, achievable goals and creating a reward system around it - nothing lavish, just little treats or privileges like an extra story at bedtime or picking the restaurant for our weekly family dinner. Keeping the rewards in line with their newfound independence also helped, like choosing what outfit to wear each day. It gave him a sense of progress and ownership!

Potties are a no-go for some kids - my older one hated them at first. He got freaked out by the sensation of sitting on a tiny throne. So don't force it if they resist - there are options like training pants that can make the transition easier!
There's so much to consider when it comes to potty training - it's an art that we need to master as moms! It's great to have such a supportive online community to tap into for tips and tricks.

every child is different, and what worked for one might not work for another - I've found myself lucky to have two very different kids who responded well to the same potty training methods! For the little ones who don't warm up to the traditional potty chair, having an alternative like a special kid-sized training toilet seat could be a fun distraction. It's all about making it a positive and casual experience.

Are there any other creative solutions people have found helpful for the resistant tot?

That's a great question! keeping a positive and humorous outlook during the challenges of potty training is certainly helpful.

For me, one of the hardest parts was getting my child to remain consistent with his progress, especially when we were out and about or visiting family and friends. It's easy for kids to get distracted or shy away from their potty habits when in unfamiliar surroundings.

I haven't tried this myself but I heard from a friend that giving her toddler the responsibility of carrying their own potty seat when traveling really helped. Apparently, it gave her child a sense of purpose and made him feel more comfortable with using it outside of their home.

I think anything that creates familiarity and routine, even when away from home, could help with maintaining progress. Would love to hear your experiences with this!
You're right about creating familiarity, it's a smart way to approach the inconsistency issue.

My strategy was creating a super portable potty-training kit that my son could help me put together. It had familiar things like a small toy, a book or two, and of course, a travel potty seat. We also packed a couple of his successful poop stories under the guise of "show and tell" - this encouraged him to use the potty away from home because he wanted to share his achievements!

It's interesting how each child has their own unique challenges that we as parents have to navigate! All the best to those in the middle of their potty-training journey. Stay patient, creative and humorous!

That's a great question! keeping a positive and humorous outlook during the challenges of potty training is certainly helpful.

For me, one of the hardest parts was getting my child to remain consistent with his progress, especially when we were out and about or visiting family and friends. It's easy for kids to get distracted or shy away from their potty habits when in unfamiliar surroundings.

I haven't tried this myself but I heard from a friend that giving her toddler the responsibility of carrying their own potty seat when traveling really helped. Apparently, it gave her child a sense of purpose and made him feel more comfortable with using it outside of their home.

I think anything that creates familiarity and routine, even when away from home, could help with maintaining progress. Would love to hear your experiences with this!
Yes, maintaining consistency amidst the distractions of daily life is certainly a challenge! Emphasizing the importance of keeping up the good work, especially when visiting family or friends, helped my children stay on track. We also made sure to have multiple pairs of training pants handy and packed our special potty seat for outings, which provided some familiarity.

I remember having to be extra vigilant and proactive about prompting my child to go when we were out - a timely whisper of the special code word helped remind him to go when the opportunity arose! For shy types, it could also help to have a private, familiar space to retreat to - even a curtain or two hung up in a corner worked for us when visiting noisy, crowded relatives!

Did any mummies find a particular method or trick helpful for keeping toddlers on track outside of their comfort zones?

It's great to have found a system that works for others! For those whose kids are resistant to training pants, what would you mammas recommend?
Training pants are only ever going to be a crutch - they’re just glorified nappies! If your child is resistant to the very idea of them, I'd say let them feel the embarrassment of wet clothing after an accident. Of course, make sure there's minimal damage by putting them in shorts or dressers with easy access. They'll learn quickly that going potty isn't so bad after all!

At the end of the day, it's a phase they have to grow out of, and sometimes tough love is the best approach. Don't let them be too comfortable!

Having a key word or phrase is a lovely idea! Making it a secret code or a special term just between the two of you is sure to make your toddler feel like a big kid and empower them to express their needs more confidently. It's interesting how something so simple can make a world of difference!

I agree that pants-changing independence is a great way to encourage them to take ownership of their potty journey. I think many parents will appreciate your tips on handling the challenges at this stage. Are there any other specific difficulties parents should look out for? Or ways to make this transition smoother that worked for you?
Having some kind of signal or cue, like a special dance or song, could help make sure everyone's on the same page and can be a cute way to engage with your tot. Accidental leaks and pooping in public spaces was an issue I hadn't anticipated - always fun to explain those to embarrassed moms at the mall! Being able to detect cues and having a backup plan for when accidents happen is key.

Toddlers will always find ways to keep us on our toes - so remaining adaptable and patient is key! Some kids may take longer to adjust, so I'd say don't pressure them too much or be in a rush - it might put them off even more. Instead, make the whole potty training experience a fun adventure with lots of fun surprises along the way.

For instance, letting them pick their own undergarments could help - making sure they're involved in the process and giving them some control over their new wardrobe could encourage them to take pride in their growing independence. A little incentive goes a long way - good luck to all the moms out there! You got this!

Having some kind of signal or cue, like a special dance or song, could help make sure everyone's on the same page and can be a cute way to engage with your tot. Accidental leaks and pooping in public spaces was an issue I hadn't anticipated - always fun to explain those to embarrassed moms at the mall! Being able to detect cues and having a backup plan for when accidents happen is key.
Some children might become overly obsessed with their newly found independence, especially if their vocabulary for potty talk expands too quickly! They may want to announce their every move, which can be adorable but also embarrassing. Teaching them the concept of privacy in a simple and fun way could help. For those who've managed this stage, what did you do?

Also, as your child grows more adventurous and confident, they'll want to sprint off as soon as they're done. Keeping the potty easily accessible and encouraging good hygiene practices, like hand washing, is a must! I found rewarding the entire process - not just the successful poos - helped keep my kiddo motivated. But I'd love to hear other creative ways you kept things fun without bribes!

The key to successful training is certainly finding what motivates your child - be it toys, stories, or sticker rewards. For the little ones who are past the initial excitement, keeping a clear and consistent routine, and using lots of positive reinforcement will help them stay on track. As long as you're consistent and creative with your methods, potty training can even be enjoyable!

For us, it eventually became second nature and became part of our daily routine - no looking back! Are there other challenges that mums are keen to tackle?
It's great to have found a few ways to make potty-training less daunting. it's rewarding to see our kids grow up and develop good habits!

Besides the difficulties you've mentioned, one common issue I faced (and still do sometimes, honestly!) is my kids' resistance to flushing the toilet, especially when we're in a rush! Anyone have fun ways to get them to embrace that final step?

Yes, maintaining consistency amidst the distractions of daily life is certainly a challenge! Emphasizing the importance of keeping up the good work, especially when visiting family or friends, helped my children stay on track. We also made sure to have multiple pairs of training pants handy and packed our special potty seat for outings, which provided some familiarity.

I remember having to be extra vigilant and proactive about prompting my child to go when we were out - a timely whisper of the special code word helped remind him to go when the opportunity arose! For shy types, it could also help to have a private, familiar space to retreat to - even a curtain or two hung up in a corner worked for us when visiting noisy, crowded relatives!

Did any mummies find a particular method or trick helpful for keeping toddlers on track outside of their comfort zones?
You reminded me that it's the little things that make a difference when dealing with consistency issues! Having a quiet, designated space sounds like a wonderful idea for introducing a sense of normalcy amidst all the distractions.

We also made sure to celebrate every success, especially those away from home. A small reward and a quick call to dad at work became our go-to move to acknowledge each milestone outside of our comfort zone - it became a special potty-training tradition that motivated my little one to keep going!

It's heartening to hear these tips and tricks - here's to the power of shared experience!

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays
Potties are a no-go for some kids - my older one hated them at first. He got freaked out by the sensation of sitting on a tiny throne. So don't force it if they resist - there are options like training pants that can make the transition easier!
Using different types of potties could help with the phobia - some designs are super fun and cute these days! And lots of practice will certainly desensitize them. Also, making a game out of flush time is fun - we used to have races to see who could flush better (with me flushing the toilet and him flushed with excitement too heh). Anything that creates a positive association seems to help!

• Love
Reactions: joyful and wellness
Having a star or sticker chart worked well for my active boy too - he loved seeing his progress visually! We made it a family affair, with the whole household getting involved and taking turns praising him. As for incentives, I didn't go for anything material - but let him pick his favourite meal for dinner each time he filled up a weekly chart! This kept him engaged and looking forward to those end-of-the week rewards.
I agree that involving the entire family is a great idea because it encourages cohesion and lets everyone share in the fun - not to mention extra helping hands! A special, themed sticker collection could also add to the excitement. The power of food incentives knows no bounds; they're like the ultimate reward no matter the age! 😋🍎

Having a star or sticker chart worked well for my active boy too - he loved seeing his progress visually! We made it a family affair, with the whole household getting involved and taking turns praising him. As for incentives, I didn't go for anything material - but let him pick his favourite meal for dinner each time he filled up a weekly chart! This kept him engaged and looking forward to those end-of-the week rewards.
Each child responds differently to various techniques - it sounds like you've got a good handle on things!

I've found that going outdoors is an excellent incentive, although I try not to rely too much on external rewards. Still, when accidents happen indoors, having the promise of a fun day out or a trip to the park might incentivise them to stay dry and keep trying.

Being vigilant and creating familiarity goes a long way! I also found that preparing my daughter psychologically prepared her for the different situations she might encounter. So we would role-play different scenarios at home, like practicing asking to go to the toilet in different settings - at school, at a restaurant, at the park. We also played a game where she had to act out going through the steps of finding a toilet when out and about. It was adorable and surprisingly effective because it gave her a sense of control!

As they say, practice makes perfect - even if it's just pretend play! Any other creative role-playing or psychological tricks up your sleeves, moms?

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet

There's so much to think about and prepare for during potty training! It seems like many mothers here have figured out creative solutions to help their children through the process. For those still navigating these challenges, hang in there - it's encouraging to know we're not alone in this phase!

You reminded me that it's the little things that make a difference when dealing with consistency issues! Having a quiet, designated space sounds like a wonderful idea for introducing a sense of normalcy amidst all the distractions.

We also made sure to celebrate every success, especially those away from home. A small reward and a quick call to dad at work became our go-to move to acknowledge each milestone outside of our comfort zone - it became a special potty-training tradition that motivated my little one to keep going!

It's heartening to hear these tips and tricks - here's to the power of shared experience!
Share the load, and enjoy the little victories along the way! They make all the difference.

Reactions: travelmum
It's great to have found a few ways to make potty-training less daunting. it's rewarding to see our kids grow up and develop good habits!

Besides the difficulties you've mentioned, one common issue I faced (and still do sometimes, honestly!) is my kids' resistance to flushing the toilet, especially when we're in a rush! Anyone have fun ways to get them to embrace that final step?
You're right, Cissy, about embracing the little victories - every child is different and it's up to us to figure out what makes them tick.flush-related fears or hesitation can be a real pain, pardon the pun! I've found that playing around with the toilet seat and teaching them to lower and raise it by themselves helps make the whole experience more fun and engaging. A little physical interaction goes a long way - and it's quite a novelty for them to have control over this formerly off-limits object!

Beyond that, a simple reward system could encourage them to take care of the entire process themselves. Nothing too elaborate - just letting them choose the type of toilet paper (within reason, of course!) or having a special flush song they get to pick seems to work well.

Each child responds differently to various techniques - it sounds like you've got a good handle on things!

I've found that going outdoors is an excellent incentive, although I try not to rely too much on external rewards. Still, when accidents happen indoors, having the promise of a fun day out or a trip to the park might incentivise them to stay dry and keep trying.
I agree that taking the focus off the negative outcome (accidents) and making it about the fun is always better for everyone's sanity! Making a game out of it all is such a clever idea because it lets kids view challenges as exciting obstacles rather than daunting failures. Your approach is sure to keep them keen!

As children return to the new school term after the long summer break, parents would be busy helping their toddlers adjust to the unfamiliar environments and teachers. The disruption in routine could also mean a regression in potty-training progress! It's encouraging to share these tips that help keep the momentum going, especially away from home.

Creating a special travel kit with familiar items is high on my list too - anything to make potty training more exciting than daunting for our little ones!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu