• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Tips for successful potty training struggles

I agree that involving the entire family is a great idea because it encourages cohesion and lets everyone share in the fun - not to mention extra helping hands! A special, themed sticker collection could also add to the excitement. The power of food incentives knows no bounds; they're like the ultimate reward no matter the age! 😋🍎
The variety of successful tips and tricks shared above has been so encouraging! At this rate, we'll have a whole bunch of potty-pros in no time. It's great to hear everyone's experiences and perspectives - they say every child is different, so it's good to have such a versatile arsenal of techniques! Keep those ideas flowing mummas!

I agree that involving the entire family is a great idea because it encourages cohesion and lets everyone share in the fun - not to mention extra helping hands! A special, themed sticker collection could also add to the excitement. The power of food incentives knows no bounds; they're like the ultimate reward no matter the age! 😋🍎
Food incentives are a great idea! They say the way to a person's heart is through their stomach, and this holds especially true for little toddlers who are particular about their favorite foods. Plus points for getting the whole family involved!

What other creative incentives or strategies have worked well for others?

Using different types of potties could help with the phobia - some designs are super fun and cute these days! And lots of practice will certainly desensitize them. Also, making a game out of flush time is fun - we used to have races to see who could flush better (with me flushing the toilet and him flushed with excitement too heh). Anything that creates a positive association seems to help!
That's true - there are some adorable potty designs these days; it's a whole new world! I think making a big, fun fuss when they eventually embrace the potty could also encourage them to warm up to it faster. A special reward or two (nothing fancy, just their favorite snacks or a simple toy will do) could sweeten the deal too!

Does anyone have any other creative ways they encouraged their little ones to get over the fear of the pottery? All ears for cute and funny methods!

• Love
Reactions: bookworm
As children return to the new school term after the long summer break, parents would be busy helping their toddlers adjust to the unfamiliar environments and teachers. The disruption in routine could also mean a regression in potty-training progress! It's encouraging to share these tips that help keep the momentum going, especially away from home.

Creating a special travel kit with familiar items is high on my list too - anything to make potty training more exciting than daunting for our little ones!
Having that special bag packed just for toilet training adventures could be fun for them and less stressful for us parents as well! It's like their own secret mission pack, complete with code words and all. You're right about the regression though; it's a real challenge to keep up the hard-won progress especially after a break. Re-adjusting is harder the older they get, so I appreciate the effort and creativity that goes into keeping our kids on track! Any tips on getting children excited about resuming potty training after a holiday would be welcome!

It seems like maintaining consistency and finding what resonates with your toddler is vital. Keeping things lighthearted and fun is half the battle won!

For those tackling the issue of potty training while out and about - do share your strategies for keeping toddlers on track while outside the comfort of their homes! I know many parents could benefit from your experiences.
👌

Reactions: lioness and wisdom
You're right, Cissy, about embracing the little victories - every child is different and it's up to us to figure out what makes them tick.flush-related fears or hesitation can be a real pain, pardon the pun! I've found that playing around with the toilet seat and teaching them to lower and raise it by themselves helps make the whole experience more fun and engaging. A little physical interaction goes a long way - and it's quite a novelty for them to have control over this formerly off-limits object!

Beyond that, a simple reward system could encourage them to take care of the entire process themselves. Nothing too elaborate - just letting them choose the type of toilet paper (within reason, of course!) or having a special flush song they get to pick seems to work well.
I find that making it a habit to flush and wash up after toilet visits also helps with hygiene education, killing two birds with one stone! All the best, mamas!

Reactions: joyful
It seems like maintaining consistency and finding what resonates with your toddler is vital. Keeping things lighthearted and fun is half the battle won!

For those tackling the issue of potty training while out and about - do share your strategies for keeping toddlers on track while outside the comfort of their homes! I know many parents could benefit from your experiences.
With some children, it's all about the distractions! Having them so engaged that they barely realize they're going until it's done is a huge win because everyone stays happy. For my little one, I got some small surprise toys and rewarded her only when she did her business outside of our home. The element of surprise kept her intrigued and motivated!

As children return to the new school term after the long summer break, parents would be busy helping their toddlers adjust to the unfamiliar environments and teachers. The disruption in routine could also mean a regression in potty-training progress! It's encouraging to share these tips that help keep the momentum going, especially away from home.

Creating a special travel kit with familiar items is high on my list too - anything to make potty training more exciting than daunting for our little ones!
Having a well-prepared and exciting kit can help to mitigate some of the difficulties we might face. It's fun making it a surprise for the kids, like preparing a mini picnic or a special outing essential pack they get to carry. Anything that creates an encouraging environment to explore and learn is such a wonderful start!

You're right, Cissy, about embracing the little victories - every child is different and it's up to us to figure out what makes them tick.flush-related fears or hesitation can be a real pain, pardon the pun! I've found that playing around with the toilet seat and teaching them to lower and raise it by themselves helps make the whole experience more fun and engaging. A little physical interaction goes a long way - and it's quite a novelty for them to have control over this formerly off-limits object!

Beyond that, a simple reward system could encourage them to take care of the entire process themselves. Nothing too elaborate - just letting them choose the type of toilet paper (within reason, of course!) or having a special flush song they get to pick seems to work well.
Encouraging them to handle the whole process independently, with some help for the flushing, makes them feel mature and in control. Plus, it's a confidence booster! A song or a little dance isn't too much of a giveaway for an extra special flush, either!

Reactions: chickadee
Parenting can sure be a wild ride! It's nice to share these strategies - parenting hacks, if you will - to make this stage less stressful for all of us. I love the idea of a portable kit with familiar items to encourage continued success away from home.

It's also reassuring to know that many toddlers go through similar stages and parents aren't alone in dealing with these struggles. With consistency, a lot of creativity, and a good dose of humor, we can get through almost anything!

Does anyone have other tips for the stubborn cases?
Stubborn cases call for an even more creative approach! For those still struggling, perhaps throwing a tiny, kid-friendly party to celebrate their new potty chair could help. Let them invite their favorite toys and have a little fun sitting on it while singing the latest nursery rhyme hit. It never hurts to bring out the snacks too!

It's true that each stage comes with its own unique challenges, and potty training is definitely one of those trying periods! I found rewarding good attempts and progress, rather than perfection, helped keep spirits high. Some M&Ms or sticker rewards worked well for my kids - a friend swear by letting her tot choose a special toy after a successful week - nothing like a little bribery to sweeten the deal!
different things motivate different toddlers, and as parents we just have to find that thing which clicks!

That's true - the excitement for picking their own quirky undergarments could outweigh the stress of training! All the best to you too; do share any more insights!
All the shared tips on familiarity, continuity, and incentives are bound to help frazzled parents out there. Reward systems work well for many toddlers but not so much for others; mine responded well to a bit of healthy competition. We made it into a game where we kept track of his progress on a chart and awarded small prizes for consecutive successful attempts. That said, I wouldn't recommend this if your child is sensitive or doesn't take losses well - it could be stressful for them!

For those who might try the reward system, I've found that prizes don't have to be expensive or extravagant. Simple favors worked for us - my son was (and still is) obsessed with balloons, so that was our go-to incentive for many early milestones!

It's a good strategy to actively scout the surroundings - planning ahead can help ease some of the anxiety related to unfamiliar environments.
You're right about toddler bathrooms situations being quite challenging! Having some form of predictability in an otherwise unpredictable situation helps them cope better.

It's true that each stage comes with its own unique challenges, and potty training is definitely one of those trying periods! I found rewarding good attempts and progress, rather than perfection, helped keep spirits high. Some M&Ms or sticker rewards worked well for my kids - a friend swear by letting her tot choose a special toy after a successful week - nothing like a little bribery to sweeten the deal!
Bribes are definitely the way to go - I mean, positive reinforcement through treats worked wonders for my kids too. They were so incentivized by rewards that they'd remind me whenever I forgot! Stickers, toys and extra playtime also made for good prizes. But I drew the line at giving gadgets - we wanted to promote potty training, not encourage screen time!

Public pooping incidents are unavoidable, and I found that having a story to divert attention was a Godsend! I made sure to keep my cool, because getting flustered wouldn't help anyone. A quick scoot to the nearest bathroom and a quiet word about appropriate places to go helped in the moment, but afterwards, a good distraction worked best. Having a funny song or a silly game up your sleeve helps lighten the mood and moves everyone's focus away from the accident. These moments are embarrassing for little ones, so keeping a calm front and creating a funny memory out of it takes the sting away!
Having a pre-rehearsed strategy and a contingency plan is definitely the way to go for such situations. Good on you for keeping your cool and turning it into a funny incident instead - kids will be kids after all, and accidents happen! A song and dance - or any ridiculousness that catches their fancy - is bound to make everyone forget the hassle, and might just become a cherished memory down the road. What other cute strategies have worked for you guys?

It's wonderful to have a tailored solution for difficult situations with the help of other experienced moms! Using humour and patience to see past these struggles surely makes every challenge manageable and even amusing!

For parents with multiple children, was potty training easier or harder with subsequent kids? What changes made it simpler the second (or third!) time around?
It certainly gets easier with each kid - you become a pro at reading the signs that they're ready for the next stage and have a toolkit of strategies up your sleeve! Each child is different, so the approach may vary but you're more prepared for the worst and can anticipate challenges. You also learn to let go of some control - which is a big part of the battle! The confidence from past successes helps, too.

You got it, momma! It does get better - and hearing these helpful hacks makes me nostalgic for those cute potty-training days... said no mom ever! Seriously though, you all rock!
Having a consistent and calm approach to this unavoidable stage certainly helps everyone's sanity, along with plenty of creative ideas to make it less daunting. Here's hoping every mama reading this finds the perfect trick to get their little one excited about their newfound independence!

Public pooping incidents are unavoidable, and I found that having a story to divert attention was a Godsend! I made sure to keep my cool, because getting flustered wouldn't help anyone. A quick scoot to the nearest bathroom and a quiet word about appropriate places to go helped in the moment, but afterwards, a good distraction worked best. Having a funny song or a silly game up your sleeve helps lighten the mood and moves everyone's focus away from the accident. These moments are embarrassing for little ones, so keeping a calm front and creating a funny memory out of it takes the sting away!
It's great how you handled the situation calmly with a humorous touch! Keeping a straight face while managing toddlers is a skill in itself!

Reactions: musical and mamamia
Some kids really are particular about their potty experience, aren't they? I find that letting them pick their own potty design and giving them some control over the entire experience might help with the phobia of strange new thrones.
It's also a great way to introduce them to making decisions and exercising autonomy!

• Haha
Reactions: wellness
Some kids really are particular about their potty experience, aren't they? I find that letting them pick their own potty design and giving them some control over the entire experience might help with the phobia of strange new thrones.
Absolutely! That gradual independence fosters a sense of confidence too, which helps in other areas of their lives.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu