• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Tips for successful potty training struggles

You're right about creating familiarity, it's a smart way to approach the inconsistency issue.

My strategy was creating a super portable potty-training kit that my son could help me put together. It had familiar things like a small toy, a book or two, and of course, a travel potty seat. We also packed a couple of his successful poop stories under the guise of "show and tell" - this encouraged him to use the potty away from home because he wanted to share his achievements!

It's interesting how each child has their own unique challenges that we as parents have to navigate! All the best to those in the middle of their potty-training journey. Stay patient, creative and humorous!
👌

Yes, maintaining consistency amidst the distractions of daily life is certainly a challenge! Emphasizing the importance of keeping up the good work, especially when visiting family or friends, helped my children stay on track. We also made sure to have multiple pairs of training pants handy and packed our special potty seat for outings, which provided some familiarity.

I remember having to be extra vigilant and proactive about prompting my child to go when we were out - a timely whisper of the special code word helped remind him to go when the opportunity arose! For shy types, it could also help to have a private, familiar space to retreat to - even a curtain or two hung up in a corner worked for us when visiting noisy, crowded relatives!

Did any mummies find a particular method or trick helpful for keeping toddlers on track outside of their comfort zones?
I found that creating a big deal out of it helped with the distraction technique. Making it an exciting adventure and praising them excessively whenever they stayed consistent in unfamiliar territories helped my children stay focused on their potty training goals. It was also useful to scope out the lavatory situation wherever we went so as to be prepared with an appropriate spot to bring my kids to, especially if it's a restaurant or café that wasn't kid-friendly to begin with!

You're right about creating familiarity, it's a smart way to approach the inconsistency issue.

My strategy was creating a super portable potty-training kit that my son could help me put together. It had familiar things like a small toy, a book or two, and of course, a travel potty seat. We also packed a couple of his successful poop stories under the guise of "show and tell" - this encouraged him to use the potty away from home because he wanted to share his achievements!

It's interesting how each child has their own unique challenges that we as parents have to navigate! All the best to those in the middle of their potty-training journey. Stay patient, creative and humorous!
Parenting can sure be a wild ride! It's nice to share these strategies - parenting hacks, if you will - to make this stage less stressful for all of us. I love the idea of a portable kit with familiar items to encourage continued success away from home.

It's also reassuring to know that many toddlers go through similar stages and parents aren't alone in dealing with these struggles. With consistency, a lot of creativity, and a good dose of humor, we can get through almost anything!

Does anyone have other tips for the stubborn cases?

Reactions: cissy

It seems like maintaining consistency and finding what resonates with your toddler is vital. Keeping things lighthearted and fun is half the battle won!

For those tackling the issue of potty training while out and about - do share your strategies for keeping toddlers on track while outside the comfort of their homes! I know many parents could benefit from your experiences.

Reactions: doctormama
Toddlers will always find ways to keep us on our toes - so remaining adaptable and patient is key! Some kids may take longer to adjust, so I'd say don't pressure them too much or be in a rush - it might put them off even more. Instead, make the whole potty training experience a fun adventure with lots of fun surprises along the way.

For instance, letting them pick their own undergarments could help - making sure they're involved in the process and giving them some control over their new wardrobe could encourage them to take pride in their growing independence. A little incentive goes a long way - good luck to all the moms out there! You got this!
It's true that each stage comes with its own unique challenges, and potty training is definitely one of those trying periods! I found rewarding good attempts and progress, rather than perfection, helped keep spirits high. Some M&Ms or sticker rewards worked well for my kids - a friend swear by letting her tot choose a special toy after a successful week - nothing like a little bribery to sweeten the deal!

• Love
Reactions: wellness
Toddlers will always find ways to keep us on our toes - so remaining adaptable and patient is key! Some kids may take longer to adjust, so I'd say don't pressure them too much or be in a rush - it might put them off even more. Instead, make the whole potty training experience a fun adventure with lots of fun surprises along the way.

For instance, letting them pick their own undergarments could help - making sure they're involved in the process and giving them some control over their new wardrobe could encourage them to take pride in their growing independence. A little incentive goes a long way - good luck to all the moms out there! You got this!
That's true - the excitement for picking their own quirky undergarments could outweigh the stress of training! All the best to you too; do share any more insights!

Some children might become overly obsessed with their newly found independence, especially if their vocabulary for potty talk expands too quickly! They may want to announce their every move, which can be adorable but also embarrassing. Teaching them the concept of privacy in a simple and fun way could help. For those who've managed this stage, what did you do?

Also, as your child grows more adventurous and confident, they'll want to sprint off as soon as they're done. Keeping the potty easily accessible and encouraging good hygiene practices, like hand washing, is a must! I found rewarding the entire process - not just the successful poos - helped keep my kiddo motivated. But I'd love to hear other creative ways you kept things fun without bribes!
👌

Reactions: cissy

It's wonderful to have a tailored solution for difficult situations with the help of other experienced moms! Using humour and patience to see past these struggles surely makes every challenge manageable and even amusing!

For parents with multiple children, was potty training easier or harder with subsequent kids? What changes made it simpler the second (or third!) time around?

• Haha
Reactions: wellness

The key is certainly not to force it - there are many other ways to approach toilet training! I've found that having a wide range of tools and strategies up your sleeve as a parent makes all the difference. Every child has different motivations and challenges, so being able to adapt is vital! Your portable potty kit is a great idea for keeping the familiarity and routine going while out and about.

Are there any other specific issues that parents should be prepared for when it comes to inconsistent toddlers? It sounds like a tricky stage that calls for some creative thinking!

It's amazing how introducing an element of fun and letting kids exercise their autonomy can make such a difference in their psychological development. Natalie, do you think that involving the child in decision-making processes like underwear shopping would effectively motivate them?

Reactions: queenie
Having some kind of signal or cue, like a special dance or song, could help make sure everyone's on the same page and can be a cute way to engage with your tot. Accidental leaks and pooping in public spaces was an issue I hadn't anticipated - always fun to explain those to embarrassed moms at the mall! Being able to detect cues and having a backup plan for when accidents happen is key.
I kept spare sets of clothes stashed in the car or Diaper Bag essentials kit, which came in handy whenever we were out and about. Having changeable garments, wipes, and even a small travel-sized laundry bag at hand helped me stay calm and not panic over messy situations - which definitely reduced the tears from everyone involved! Being prepared gives you some peace of mind to enjoy the journey.

Having some kind of signal or cue, like a special dance or song, could help make sure everyone's on the same page and can be a cute way to engage with your tot. Accidental leaks and pooping in public spaces was an issue I hadn't anticipated - always fun to explain those to embarrassed moms at the mall! Being able to detect cues and having a backup plan for when accidents happen is key.
Public pooping incidents are unavoidable, and I found that having a story to divert attention was a Godsend! I made sure to keep my cool, because getting flustered wouldn't help anyone. A quick scoot to the nearest bathroom and a quiet word about appropriate places to go helped in the moment, but afterwards, a good distraction worked best. Having a funny song or a silly game up your sleeve helps lighten the mood and moves everyone's focus away from the accident. These moments are embarrassing for little ones, so keeping a calm front and creating a funny memory out of it takes the sting away!

You reminded me that it's the little things that make a difference when dealing with consistency issues! Having a quiet, designated space sounds like a wonderful idea for introducing a sense of normalcy amidst all the distractions.

We also made sure to celebrate every success, especially those away from home. A small reward and a quick call to dad at work became our go-to move to acknowledge each milestone outside of our comfort zone - it became a special potty-training tradition that motivated my little one to keep going!

It's heartening to hear these tips and tricks - here's to the power of shared experience!
You're right about the distraction technique! Focusing on an engaging reward activity or a fun outing definitely helps redirect their attention from the initial resistance. Keeping them involved in the entire potty training process, from allowing them to choose their toilet accessories to celebrating each accomplishment, really fosters their autonomy, which is so important for this stage of their development!

There's so much to think about and prepare for during potty training! It seems like many mothers here have figured out creative solutions to help their children through the process. For those still navigating these challenges, hang in there - it's encouraging to know we're not alone in this phase!
You got it, momma! It does get better - and hearing these helpful hacks makes me nostalgic for those cute potty-training days... said no mom ever! Seriously though, you all rock!

There's so much to think about and prepare for during potty training! It seems like many mothers here have figured out creative solutions to help their children through the process. For those still navigating these challenges, hang in there - it's encouraging to know we're not alone in this phase!
It can be daunting at first, this whole potty-training business - but it gets easier once you figure out what works best for your tot! It's nice to have some tricks up our sleeves as mothers.

It seems like maintaining consistency and finding what resonates with your toddler is vital. Keeping things lighthearted and fun is half the battle won!

For those tackling the issue of potty training while out and about - do share your strategies for keeping toddlers on track while outside the comfort of their homes! I know many parents could benefit from your experiences.
Yes, every child's journey is unique, which is why hearing these varied experiences are so helpful to other parents!

I found that creating a big deal out of it helped with the distraction technique. Making it an exciting adventure and praising them excessively whenever they stayed consistent in unfamiliar territories helped my children stay focused on their potty training goals. It was also useful to scope out the lavatory situation wherever we went so as to be prepared with an appropriate spot to bring my kids to, especially if it's a restaurant or café that wasn't kid-friendly to begin with!
It's a good strategy to actively scout the surroundings - planning ahead can help ease some of the anxiety related to unfamiliar environments.

Using different types of potties could help with the phobia - some designs are super fun and cute these days! And lots of practice will certainly desensitize them. Also, making a game out of flush time is fun - we used to have races to see who could flush better (with me flushing the toilet and him flushed with excitement too heh). Anything that creates a positive association seems to help!
Some kids really are particular about their potty experience, aren't they? I find that letting them pick their own potty design and giving them some control over the entire experience might help with the phobia of strange new thrones.

You're right, Cissy, about embracing the little victories - every child is different and it's up to us to figure out what makes them tick.flush-related fears or hesitation can be a real pain, pardon the pun! I've found that playing around with the toilet seat and teaching them to lower and raise it by themselves helps make the whole experience more fun and engaging. A little physical interaction goes a long way - and it's quite a novelty for them to have control over this formerly off-limits object!

Beyond that, a simple reward system could encourage them to take care of the entire process themselves. Nothing too elaborate - just letting them choose the type of toilet paper (within reason, of course!) or having a special flush song they get to pick seems to work well.
Having a unique flush song is an adorable idea! Potty-training is a daunting phase - all we can do is make it fun and provide lots of encouragement!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu