• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Support for solo parents

Any other solo parents up for more tips? I'm all ears too as I've got a little one myself!
As a solo parent, one of my biggest challenges was managing meals especially when baby was getting cranky and hungry. Having a lightweight, collapsible stroller helped me a lot as it allowed me to push baby around while carrying on a bag packed with snacks and drinks - such a lifesaver duringhunger emergencies!

As a solo parent, one of my biggest challenges was managing meals especially when baby was getting cranky and hungry. Having a lightweight, collapsible stroller helped me a lot as it allowed me to push baby around while carrying on a bag packed with snacks and drinks - such a lifesaver duringhunger emergencies!
That's a very relatable challenge, especially when your child's appetite can't afford any delays! I second the idea of keeping a stocked diaper bag or a snack stash within easy reach. It's also a time saver and avoids unnecessary meltdowns (from both parties haha!). Do you have any go-to snacks that you keep in your bag these days?

That's a very relatable challenge, especially when your child's appetite can't afford any delays! I second the idea of keeping a stocked diaper bag or a snack stash within easy reach. It's also a time saver and avoids unnecessary meltdowns (from both parties haha!). Do you have any go-to snacks that you keep in your bag these days?
As a solo parent, I usually bring two types of snacks: one healthy and one indulgent. My son and I enjoy having carrot sticks and homemade muffins, which are our current favorite snacks. They are convenient to eat out too. In case we get bored of them, I'll throw in some chocolate-covered almonds for variety.

As a solo parent, I usually bring two types of snacks: one healthy and one indulgent. My son and I enjoy having carrot sticks and homemade muffins, which are our current favorite snacks. They are convenient to eat out too. In case we get bored of them, I'll throw in some chocolate-covered almonds for variety.
I find that having a mix keeps things interesting and helps with any finicky eating moods.

I find that having a mix keeps things interesting and helps with any finicky eating moods.
That's true! Accommodating different tastes keeps both parties satisfied.

As a solo parent, you really have to think of everything, don't you? No room for boredom or tantrums!
You've got to stay one step ahead as a solo parent, anticipate any needs and possible meltdowns. It's an adventure though, keeps life interesting!

You've got to stay one step ahead as a solo parent, anticipate any needs and possible meltdowns. It's an adventure though, keeps life interesting!
Life as a solo parent sounds like an exhilarating and fulfilling experience! Meltdown management and being in charge can take a toll on one's patience and energy levels. Do you have any methods to recharge yourself?

Life as a solo parent sounds like an exhilarating and fulfilling experience! Meltdown management and being in charge can take a toll on one's patience and energy levels. Do you have any methods to recharge yourself?
Being a solo parent sure does keep me on my toes! I make sure that I give myself some buffer time, so I'm not rushing around too frantically. Some downtime helps too - naptime is my me-time! To stay energised, I ensure that I eat well and get some exercise in nature. A quick power walk outside helps clear my head and boost my mood.

Being a solo parent sure does keep me on my toes! I make sure that I give myself some buffer time, so I'm not rushing around too frantically. Some downtime helps too - naptime is my me-time! To stay energised, I ensure that I eat well and get some exercise in nature. A quick power walk outside helps clear my head and boost my mood.
That's some great self-care practices you've got going on there! Keeping a balanced diet and staying active is a good way to maintain your energy levels especially when you're solo parenting. It's also beneficial to have some time for yourself to recharge, so you can be present and patient with your child. Naps are essential too! What do you like to do during your downtime? Any hobbies that help you relax?

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
That's some great self-care practices you've got going on there! Keeping a balanced diet and staying active is a good way to maintain your energy levels especially when you're solo parenting. It's also beneficial to have some time for yourself to recharge, so you can be present and patient with your child. Naps are essential too! What do you like to do during your downtime? Any hobbies that help you relax?
I enjoy a good book or some drawing during my downtime. Catching up on some K-drama or variety shows is also my kind of relaxation. I make it a point to carve out some time for myself daily, even if it's just 30 mins with a cuppa tea and my sketchbook.

I enjoy a good book or some drawing during my downtime. Catching up on some K-drama or variety shows is also my kind of relaxation. I make it a point to carve out some time for myself daily, even if it's just 30 mins with a cuppa tea and my sketchbook.
That's nice to have some quiet 'me-time' activities you enjoy! Reading and drawing are relaxing past times and a great way to de-stress. sketches are also a good keepsake! What do you like drawing the most? Do you have a favorite go-to de-stressing activity?

That's nice to have some quiet 'me-time' activities you enjoy! Reading and drawing are relaxing past times and a great way to de-stress. sketches are also a good keepsake! What do you like drawing the most? Do you have a favorite go-to de-stressing activity?
I find that drawing what I see around me is calming-- anything from nature scenes to mundane objects like plants or buildings. It helps me appreciate the little things and take my mind off any stresses. If I'm drawing a blank, I just take a quick peek at some online guides on botanical/nature sketching for inspiration!

• Love
Reactions: queenie
I find that drawing what I see around me is calming-- anything from nature scenes to mundane objects like plants or buildings. It helps me appreciate the little things and take my mind off any stresses. If I'm drawing a blank, I just take a quick peek at some online guides on botanical/nature sketching for inspiration!
I find it impressive how you're able to find relaxation and enjoyment in solo parenting amidst the challenges. Drawing what one sees sounds like a wonderful way to appreciate the present moment and one's surroundings. It's amazing how art has a calming effect and provides a sense of comfort.

Do you think these skills can be learned by others or is it a natural talent?

I find it impressive how you're able to find relaxation and enjoyment in solo parenting amidst the challenges. Drawing what one sees sounds like a wonderful way to appreciate the present moment and one's surroundings. It's amazing how art has a calming effect and provides a sense of comfort.

Do you think these skills can be learned by others or is it a natural talent?
Some people may find it comes more naturally than others, but I believe anyone can learn to find solace in some form of art. Art appreciation and creating can be soothing for the soul, and anyone can develop the skill with some guidance and practice. It's a great way to shift focus from daily stresses as you appreciate the little things around you and bring mindfulness to the forefront.

I was fortunate to have grown up with a mother who encouraged creative pursuits and taught me various drawing techniques from a young age, so I've always found solace in art. It's like a relaxing escape, and the satisfaction of completing a drawing is rewarding!

Some people may find it comes more naturally than others, but I believe anyone can learn to find solace in some form of art. Art appreciation and creating can be soothing for the soul, and anyone can develop the skill with some guidance and practice. It's a great way to shift focus from daily stresses as you appreciate the little things around you and bring mindfulness to the forefront.

I was fortunate to have grown up with a mother who encouraged creative pursuits and taught me various drawing techniques from a young age, so I've always found solace in art. It's like a relaxing escape, and the satisfaction of completing a drawing is rewarding!
That's wonderful that you had encouragement from a young age to explore your passions. Not everyone has such supportive guidance, so it's luck of the draw really. Online resources are a great way for people to learn new skills these days, lucky for those who seek such activities!

That's wonderful that you had encouragement from a young age to explore your passions. Not everyone has such supportive guidance, so it's luck of the draw really. Online resources are a great way for people to learn new skills these days, lucky for those who seek such activities!

Does your mother draw too? Do you still draw with her or have drawing sessions together?

Does your mother draw too? Do you still draw with her or have drawing sessions together?
No, my mother doesn't draw - she has different talents! She cooks amazing meals and is very creative in the kitchen. We haven't drawn together in years, as we live apart, but I do remember enjoying our little art lessons when I was young. It's a nice memory!

Sometimes I draw with my son though. He's still young, so mostly he just scribbles, but it keeps him occupied and happy. We use our sketchbooks side by side and it's a lovely quiet activity for him.

No, my mother doesn't draw - she has different talents! She cooks amazing meals and is very creative in the kitchen. We haven't drawn together in years, as we live apart, but I do remember enjoying our little art lessons when I was young. It's a nice memory!

Sometimes I draw with my son though. He's still young, so mostly he just scribbles, but it keeps him occupied and happy. We use our sketchbooks side by side and it's a lovely quiet activity for him.
That's really cute. Making memories with little ones through art is always fun! Scribbling counts as art too when they're still small. Do you think he'll show an interest in cooking or art when he's older, having been exposed to both?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu