• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Stay Active Mums: Share Your Fitness Routines & Wellness Secrets

Wisdom says, "It's the little things that count" - an evening stroll with the family can be a great way to rack up some steps and bond at the same time! The husband and I try to make it a point to have a nightly walk after dinner, de-stresses us after a long day. win-win situation!
Nightly walks after dinner sound like a lovely way to unwind as a family and catch up with each other! It's a great habit you've started; the fresh air and physical activity must be refreshing after being cooped up indoors.

Do you have any particular goals or challenges in mind for your wellness journey, or does it vary depending on your energy levels and schedule?

My toddler's favourite activity is running wild at the playground, which also gets me moving and heart rate up as I chase after him. Win-win for some outdoor exercise for both of us!
I also participate in an online fitness group specifically for mums; we share simple workouts that can be done with minimal equipment at home or in the park. It helps to have that added motivation and support from other mums to stay focused and committed.

Anything simple and manageable - with a busy mom schedule - is key!
That's an excellent idea to join an online fitness group! Support groups really help in keeping motivated, especially when everyone is going through similar experiences. Simple and manageable is definitely the key for busy mums like us!

Yoga's a great way to sneak in some exercise without leaving the house or compromising on time! I usually do some quick stretches before bedtime too, helps with the aches from chasing after my tot!

I've also been enjoying walking outdoors these days. It's a great bonding sesh with the little one, and I get some cardio done at the same time! Win-win! Fresh air does everyone some good, so we try to go for longer walks on weekends as a family. Hubby dear usually pushes the stroller while I walk alongside them, and it's a great chance for me to catch up with him too since our conversations these days are mostly child-centric 😅
Doing a variety of activities like you do keeps things interesting indeed! You must be quite the superstar mum, keeping up with all these exercises!

For mums who are worried they might not be doing enough, what would be your encouragement to them?

Yoga's a great way to sneak in some exercise without leaving the house or compromising on time! I usually do some quick stretches before bedtime too, helps with the aches from chasing after my tot!

I've also been enjoying walking outdoors these days. It's a great bonding sesh with the little one, and I get some cardio done at the same time! Win-win! Fresh air does everyone some good, so we try to go for longer walks on weekends as a family. Hubby dear usually pushes the stroller while I walk alongside them, and it's a great chance for me to catch up with him too since our conversations these days are mostly child-centric 😅
Hiking is a fun activity the whole family can enjoy and a great excuse to get out of the house! We take turns carrying our little one in a carrier when he gets tired, which can also add some muscle training to our hikes.

Hi there, fellow fit mums!

I totally agree that finding time for fitness as a stay-at-home mum can be a challenge, so kudos to all of us for making the effort!

I have a couple of go-to routines which help keep me active and hopefully help contribute to my little one's healthy habits too.

One is to use my son's nap time for a quick, intense workout. I call it my 'nap time ninja' session - 20-minute HIIT workouts that I can do in the comfort of my living room while keeping an eye on the little guy. These include burpees, jumping jacks, mountain climbers - high-intensity moves that get the heart rate up fast and are over before the next episode of Cocomelon starts playing!

When the weather is nice, we also head to the park for some good old-fashioned fun. Playing tag and running around the playground is a great way to stay active and tire him out so that he takes a good nap afterwards! It's also a great opportunity to meet other mums and little ones too - and share tips like this thread!

And as an evening wind-down, I like to take a page from your book and do some yoga before dinner. It's a nice way to relax after a full day, and my son enjoys doing some of the poses with me - his favourite is the cobra pose!

Stay healthy everyone, and keep sharing the inspiration! 🧘🚀
Haha 'nap time ninja' sessions! Love it! I should try HIIT workouts to mix things up sometimes, though I'm not sure if I can keep up with the intensity being a slow-and-steady kinda person 😂 Cobra pose is a crowd favourite, my tot also loves it and always wants to join in our yoga sessions.

My toddler's favourite activity is running wild at the playground, which also gets me moving and heart rate up as I chase after him. Win-win for some outdoor exercise for both of us!
I also participate in an online fitness group specifically for mums; we share simple workouts that can be done with minimal equipment at home or in the park. It helps to have that added motivation and support from other mums to stay focused and committed.

Anything simple and manageable - with a busy mom schedule - is key!
Having an online fitness group to stay accountable to sound great! It is indeed encouraging to have like-minded friends for motivation. Online fitness groups sound like a great way to stay motivated and share useful tips! Simple and manageable workouts are the way to go for this busy mum right here too!

It is great to have some alone time with your husband, especially with both of you focused on parenting. Being able to chat without little ears around is indeed precious! Weekends are also a great opportunity for some family bonding and getting some outdoor time.

What are some of your favorite things to do as a family during these walks?

I'm a Clementi mum too! Who knew there were so many hills in our neighbourhood? I like going on walks with my kids and doing yoga too - my me-time and stress relief while keeping fit. I also enjoy swimming as an intense full-body workout when I can fit it into my schedule. Just being in the water is so soothing.
Yes, the numerous hills around our neighbourhood sure do come in handy for some spontaneous exercise! Swimming is a great exercise to tone up; I should make time for it too, thanks for the reminder!

I totally agree that finding time for fitness as a stay-at-home mum can be a challenge, so kudos to all of us for making the effort!

I have a couple of go-to routines which help keep me active and hopefully help contribute to my little one's healthy habits too.

One is to use my son's nap time for a quick, intense workout. I call it my 'nap time ninja' session - 20-minute HIIT workouts that I can do in the comfort of my living room while keeping an eye on the little guy. These include burpees, jumping jacks, mountain climbers - high-intensity moves that get the heart rate up fast and are over before the next episode of Cocomelon starts playing!

When the weather is nice, we also head to the park for some good old-fashioned fun. Playing tag and running around the playground is a great way to stay active and tire him out so that he takes a good nap afterwards! It's also a great opportunity to meet other mums and little ones too - and share tips like this thread!

And as an evening wind-down, I like to take a page from your book and do some yoga before dinner. It's a nice way to relax after a full day, and my son enjoys doing some of the poses with me - his favourite is the cobra pose!

Wow, 'nap time ninja' sessions sound like an intense and fun way to get some exercise in! I'll have to try that! Park runs and yoga stretches sounds like great ideas too. It's so nice to have our little ones joining in our wellness routines! :)

Hi there! Stroller walks are a favorite of mine too, especially now that the little one is old enough to point out interesting sights, making our walks more interactive and fun.

With the weather getting better, I've also been enjoying short hikes with other mums and our kids on the weekends. It's a great way to change up the usual routine, get some exercise and let the kids explore nature. There's a nice scenic park near our place with plenty of trees and a wide open space for the kids to run wild, which is a real treat for the senses.

I've also discovered Zumba workouts on YouTube - an energetic, fun workout sesh with easy-to-follow videos that get the heart pumping, and the kids seem to love the dances too! I usually do this when my daughter is occupied with her crafts or drawing, as she enjoys joining in occasionally which makes it even more enjoyable.

For a quick energy boost during busy weekdays, I swear by 10-minute tabata workouts. They're intense and the time flies by quickly - sometimes I even manage to get some squats or lunges in while holding my tot!

What other mums do to stay motivated is a real wonder to me. Do share your secrets! :)
I don't know about having secrets, but I can tell you this - having a group of friends who are also interested in staying active certainly helps. There's some peer pressure that keeps you going, especially when you know someone is waiting for you outside the house, ready to go for a walk or hit the park! Also, finding activities that your children enjoy doing with you makes things more fun and creates great memories - win-win situation!

Wow, nap time ninja sessions sounds like an intense yet efficient workout! Love how you incorporate playtime and exercise for both yourself and your son too. It's great to hear that there are different ways and creative strategies to stay active as a mum!

Wow, you guys are quite the super mums! High five!! 😎

I love the idea of using aromatherapy candles and calming music to set the mood for yoga. I'm gonna give it a go later!

For now, my simple contribution to this thread is making sure to include lots of movement throughout our days. Taking the longer route when pushing the stroller, doing squats while playing on the floor with toys, and lunges while holding onto the couch - these are some sneaky exercises I do without my kids knowing! Haha!

Also, dance parties at home are a great way to get some exercise too-- the whole family joins in and jams out to some catchy kid-friendly tunes. My older kid loves it, and it's a fun way to stay engaged and active together.

Keep the ideas coming, ladies! 💪🏼

Hi there! Stroller walks are a favorite of mine too, especially now that the little one is old enough to point out interesting sights, making our walks more interactive and fun.

With the weather getting better, I've also been enjoying short hikes with other mums and our kids on the weekends. It's a great way to change up the usual routine, get some exercise and let the kids explore nature. There's a nice scenic park near our place with plenty of trees and a wide open space for the kids to run wild, which is a real treat for the senses.

I've also discovered Zumba workouts on YouTube - an energetic, fun workout sesh with easy-to-follow videos that get the heart pumping, and the kids seem to love the dances too! I usually do this when my daughter is occupied with her crafts or drawing, as she enjoys joining in occasionally which makes it even more enjoyable.

For a quick energy boost during busy weekdays, I swear by 10-minute tabata workouts. They're intense and the time flies by quickly - sometimes I even manage to get some squats or lunges in while holding my tot!

What other mums do to stay motivated is a real wonder to me. Do share your secrets! :)
Wow, you guys have so many energy-boosting ways to stay active despite the demands of motherhood! I am impressed by all the creative ways you've found to exercise without compromising on time with your little ones and staying committed to your well-being.

As a librarian and not a super experienced mum, I'd recommend some children's fitness books that might be useful for our repertoire - some new ideas for exercise routines, incorporating fitness into our daily schedules, and motivating ourselves amid the joys of motherhood!

I came across this really cute book called Go, Go, Go! It's Filled with Fun Things to Do by Tammy Sauer, with simple ideas for kids' exercises and games like Hop Like a Frog or Twist Like a pretzel- healthy habits disguised as fun activities! Another one is Super Movement Skills for Super Kids by Sarah Powell, which has some cool sports-related exercises focused on developing balance, coordination and strength, aiming to keep the little ones entertained while staying fit.

For us mums, a title like 5-Minute Mom's Workout by Cara Rosenbloom might be a helpful reminder of the quick, effective workouts we can do any time. And for some overall inspiration, there's The Healthy Mama Handbook by Meghan Markle (!) which covers wellness, nutrition and fitness during pregnancy and beyond - might be a good guide for us to borrow ideas from, with a holistic view on maintaining our health amidst the mum life.

These could be some fun additions to our mom bag of tricks, along with all your amazing real-life tips! It's great to stay connected this way and gather all these awesome suggestions. High fives, fit mamas! 🐸👊🌳

I'm a Clementi mum too! Who knew there were so many hills in our neighbourhood? I like going on walks with my kids and doing yoga too - my me-time and stress relief while keeping fit. I also enjoy swimming as an intense full-body workout when I can fit it into my schedule. Just being in the water is so soothing.
Yes, the stroller walks really come in handy for us mums! It's a good thing our neighborhood has quite a lot of greenery and scenic views because it certainly makes these strolls enjoyable. And I agree that yoga is a great form of 'me time' - I often use an app with guided sessions and just follow along. It's relaxing yet still challenging, especially when you're focused on holding certain poses.

Swimming is wonderful too - it's so soothing and a nice break from land workouts. I find that being around water has such a calming effect. Plus, it's a great activity the whole family can enjoy together! You're right about it being an intense workout; I feel every muscle group gets some good exercise.

Have you guys also tried any fitness apps or online routines? With so many free resources out there it's hard to pick, but it's great to have so many options at our fingertips when we've got a busy schedule. Keeping up the motivation is half the battle, so it's helpful to keep things interesting and mix things up sometimes!

Wow, you guys are super inspiring with all these creative ways to keep fit despite the demands of motherhood! I thought I'd jump in and contribute some ideas that might help others too.

As someone who's passionate about music and motherhood, I find that singing and dancing with my little one is a fun way to stay active. We put on some catchy tunes and groove together - it's a great mood booster and encourages her speech and motor skills too, win-win!

We also created our own "mummy-toddler fitness challenge" involving fun exercises like bear crawls, lunges and super-hero poses which we take turns doing. I let her lead sometimes and join in with her imaginative play - she loves teaching me the routine when she's in the mood.

And when all else fails and we're both in need of some fresh air, we head down to the park for some traditional chalk and bubble fun. This gets us moving and usually ends in giggles - a great natural pick-me-up!

Keep those ideas coming, you guys rock! 😃

Yeah, who knew that our neighbourhood has so many fitness possibilities! The variety of activities we can do here is quite surprising. Swimming is a great workout option; I should give it a go at the public pool sometime - it's been too long!

As a busy mum, I find that having a variety of different workout options helps to keep things interesting and motivating. You ladies are doing a great job keeping those creative juices flowing with all these fantastic ideas for staying active!

I've been meaning to try hiking but haven't gotten around to it yet - weekends are usually the best time to plan something like that. Hope the good weather holds up!

Having workouts cater to different needs--whether a quick energy boost or a peaceful mind-body connection--certainly helps to keep that motivation going. And isn't it heartwarming to see our little ones enjoying themselves while we work out, in their own ways?

Here's to hoping we continue to stay inspired and keep up the healthy habits!🌳🚀

I keep motivated by remind myself of two things: My health & future family vacations haha!

As mundane as it sounds, remembering the importance of fitness for overall health and especially immune system keeps me committed to my routine. I also think ahead to our next beach vacation - that extra nudge encourages me to stay on track with my fitness goals so I can confidently rock a swimsuit. That said, my main motivation would still be setting a good example for my kiddo - I want to show him the importance of exercise so it becomes part of his everyday life too!

Great topic by the way - love how we're all sharing ideas here! Keep those fit vibes going :)

Yes, the numerous hills around our neighbourhood are quite a challenge! Swimming is a great addition to your routine and a good break from land activities. Are there any specific exercises you do in the pool?

I'm also a stay-at-home mum residing in the east of Singapore! Stroller walks are a great way to enjoy some fresh air and bond with our little ones. After my son grew out of his stroller, we began exploring the neighbourhood parks and playgrounds, chasing after him as he runs ahead. It's a fun way to keep up an active lifestyle and exhaust him so that he sleeps better at night too!

I've also recently discovered online workout videos - some apps and YouTube fitness channels have short, effective workout routines which I can follow at home while my son is occupied with his toys or sleeping. Being able to exercise indoors is a lifesaver during the rainy seasons or for days when we're cooped up at home.

What online resources do you swear by for your fitness fixes? It'd be great to discover new workouts to try!
There are some good workout videos on Instagram and TikTok - short, catchy, and addictive! I've come across some fun dance workouts that make me feel like I'm back in Zumba class. It's a nice way to discover new moves and stay motivated seeing others online keeping fit too. #stayactivemums

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu