• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Stay Active Mums: Share Your Fitness Routines & Wellness Secrets

wisdom

Top-Notch
Reaction score
As a busy mum, staying active can be challenging but it's also so important for our health and well-being!

This thread is dedicated to all the stay-at-home mums out there who want to share their fitness routines, wellness secrets, and tips for keeping themselves in shape amidst the demands of motherhood.

I'll go first! I love taking my little one on walks in the stroller, especially now that the weather is getting nicer. It's a great way to get some fresh air and a moderate workout at the same time. When my husband is home, we take turns doing short sprints up and down our hills around the neighbourhood - it gets the heart rate up and is a fun challenge!

I also love doing yoga when my daughter takes her afternoon naps. I'll put on some calming music, light some aromatherapy candles, and do some gentle stretches or more intense poses depending on how my body is feeling that day. It's nice to have some "me time" while also being able to keep an ear out for her if she needs me.

What about you? What are your favourite ways to stay active as a mum? Share your routines, your go-to workouts, and any tips for staying motivated! Let's help each other stay healthy and happy. 💪💙

As a busy mum, staying active can be challenging but it's also so important for our health and well-being!

This thread is dedicated to all the stay-at-home mums out there who want to share their fitness routines, wellness secrets, and tips for keeping themselves in shape amidst the demands of motherhood.

I'll go first! I love taking my little one on walks in the stroller, especially now that the weather is getting nicer. It's a great way to get some fresh air and a moderate workout at the same time. When my husband is home, we take turns doing short sprints up and down our hills around the neighbourhood - it gets the heart rate up and is a fun challenge!

I also love doing yoga when my daughter takes her afternoon naps. I'll put on some calming music, light some aromatherapy candles, and do some gentle stretches or more intense poses depending on how my body is feeling that day. It's nice to have some "me time" while also being able to keep an ear out for her if she needs me.

What about you? What are your favourite ways to stay active as a mum? Share your routines, your go-to workouts, and any tips for staying motivated! Let's help each other stay healthy and happy. 💪💙
Wisdom says, "It's the little things that count" - an evening stroll with the family can be a great way to rack up some steps and bond at the same time! The husband and I try to make it a point to have a nightly walk after dinner, de-stresses us after a long day. win-win situation!

My toddler's favourite activity is running wild at the playground, which also gets me moving and heart rate up as I chase after him. Win-win for some outdoor exercise for both of us!
I also participate in an online fitness group specifically for mums; we share simple workouts that can be done with minimal equipment at home or in the park. It helps to have that added motivation and support from other mums to stay focused and committed.

Anything simple and manageable - with a busy mom schedule - is key!

Yoga's a great way to sneak in some exercise without leaving the house or compromising on time! I usually do some quick stretches before bedtime too, helps with the aches from chasing after my tot!

I've also been enjoying walking outdoors these days. It's a great bonding sesh with the little one, and I get some cardio done at the same time! Win-win! Fresh air does everyone some good, so we try to go for longer walks on weekends as a family. Hubby dear usually pushes the stroller while I walk alongside them, and it's a great chance for me to catch up with him too since our conversations these days are mostly child-centric 😅

Hi there, fellow fit mums!

I totally agree that finding time for fitness as a stay-at-home mum can be a challenge, so kudos to all of us for making the effort!

I have a couple of go-to routines which help keep me active and hopefully help contribute to my little one's healthy habits too.

One is to use my son's nap time for a quick, intense workout. I call it my 'nap time ninja' session - 20-minute HIIT workouts that I can do in the comfort of my living room while keeping an eye on the little guy. These include burpees, jumping jacks, mountain climbers - high-intensity moves that get the heart rate up fast and are over before the next episode of Cocomelon starts playing!

When the weather is nice, we also head to the park for some good old-fashioned fun. Playing tag and running around the playground is a great way to stay active and tire him out so that he takes a good nap afterwards! It's also a great opportunity to meet other mums and little ones too - and share tips like this thread!

And as an evening wind-down, I like to take a page from your book and do some yoga before dinner. It's a nice way to relax after a full day, and my son enjoys doing some of the poses with me - his favourite is the cobra pose!

Stay healthy everyone, and keep sharing the inspiration! 🧘🚀

Hi there! Stroller walks are a favorite of mine too, especially now that the little one is old enough to point out interesting sights, making our walks more interactive and fun.

With the weather getting better, I've also been enjoying short hikes with other mums and our kids on the weekends. It's a great way to change up the usual routine, get some exercise and let the kids explore nature. There's a nice scenic park near our place with plenty of trees and a wide open space for the kids to run wild, which is a real treat for the senses.

I've also discovered Zumba workouts on YouTube - an energetic, fun workout sesh with easy-to-follow videos that get the heart pumping, and the kids seem to love the dances too! I usually do this when my daughter is occupied with her crafts or drawing, as she enjoys joining in occasionally which makes it even more enjoyable.

For a quick energy boost during busy weekdays, I swear by 10-minute tabata workouts. They're intense and the time flies by quickly - sometimes I even manage to get some squats or lunges in while holding my tot!

What other mums do to stay motivated is a real wonder to me. Do share your secrets! :)

I'm a Clements mum too! Who knew there were so many hills in our neighbourhood? I like going on walks with my kids and doing yoga too - my me-time and stress relief while keeping fit. I also enjoy swimming as an intense full-body workout when I can fit it into my schedule. Just being in the water is so soothing.

Stroller walks are a great, underappreciated way to get some exercise and fresh air! I find that making the most of nap times for some alone 'me time' yoga or meditation helps me stay sane as a stay-at-home mum. Keeping things varied keeps it interesting-- sometimes I turn on some upbeat music and dance with my kids, which they love, or we go for family walks and play games like I Spy!

It's a challenge indeed (couldn't resist!) to find time and energy for exercise, but so worthwhile for our health and sanity!

I'm also a stay-at-home mum residing in the east of Singapore! Stroller walks are a great way to enjoy some fresh air and bond with our little ones. After my son grew out of his stroller, we began exploring the neighbourhood parks and playgrounds, chasing after him as he runs ahead. It's a fun way to keep up an active lifestyle and exhaust him so that he sleeps better at night too!

I've also recently discovered online workout videos - some apps and YouTube fitness channels have short, effective workout routines which I can follow at home while my son is occupied with his toys or sleeping. Being able to exercise indoors is a lifesaver during the rainy seasons or for days when we're cooped up at home.

What online resources do you swear by for your fitness fixes? It'd be great to discover new workouts to try!

Hi, my fitness routine is pretty straightforward, especially since I've got young kids who demand plenty of outdoor time. I usually take them to the park, which luckily is located within walking distance from my place. It's a good way to get some cardio in while keeping the little ones entertained.

At home, when the kids are busy with their toys or art projects, I sneak in some squats and stretches. I also have a skipping rope which I use when the TV is on, for some good old fashioned hopscotch! It's a nice break from the daily chores and makes me feel better about sitting down so much while doing admin work later.

With two young ones, me-time is rare, but when they're both asleep, I try to wind down with some meditation apps. They guide you through breathing exercises and visualisations that help calm frazzled minds - very useful for busy mums! I've also recently got into essential oils, which I use with my diffuser after a recommendation from a friend. The different scents can help uplift your mood or aid relaxation.

What other simple ways do mums keep active? It's great to get some ideas; being a mum is tough work!

Hi there! Your wellness routine sounds lovely, especially the stroller walks and yoga sessions. As a fellowAng Mo Kio mom, I can certainly relate to the challenges of keeping active while looking after little ones!

My three-year-old son has heaps of energy, so we go on lots of walks and runs in the neighborhood. Sometimes, it's a slow stroll to the nearby park, which gives me time to catch up with him about his day and interests (in between his continuous demands, of course). These days, he's been really into "races," so we do short sprint intervals up the footpaths - his excitement makes it fun and motivates me to keep going!

I also like to sneak in some exercises while playing with him. Squats and lunges seem to be a hit, as well as doing 'superhero training' which involves lots of running, jumping and flying around the living room. It's a great way to make fitness fun, and he loves the bonding time too.

Staying motivated can be tough, but I find having a workout buddy helps. I occasionally arrange workouts with fellow mums, like an outdoor HIIT session in the park or, if our helpers are free, we'll take turns watching each other's kids while the other does a quick workout. Having that company and support keeps me accountable and makes sure I show up!

It's great to see how others manage their wellness amidst the mom routine. Any other mums out there with tips on keeping fitness fun and accessible?

My kids are almost in primary school, so I'm slowly getting some me-time back. But when they were younger, I found that the simplest way to stay active is to incorporate playtime with exercise - running around the playground with my children, doing fun races or going on hikes as a family was an enjoyable way to stay fit and bond too! Also, catching up on some fitness shows on Netflix and working out to their workouts when the kids are asleep helped keep me motivated when I didn't have babysitters.

It's great hearing about your routines! Can't wait for more ideas to keep us mums inspired! 😁

Stroller walks are a great way to enjoy the outdoors with our little ones and get some exercise too! I find that having a stroll around the peaceful Botanical Gardens is a nice break from the routine and gets me some moderate exercise.

I've also recently discovered online workout videos - the short, targeted workouts are effective and can be done while the kids are occupied or napping. Targeted workouts hit the spot when you're time-cramped as a mum! I'm always motivated to stay active to keep up with my energetic toddler and maintain my gardening pace.

Taking strolls with the stroller is a great way to enjoy some fresh air and a subtle work out, especially with the scenic routes in Queenstown. You've reminded me of the good old days when my boys were younger!

I often squeeze in exercise by incorporating activities into our daily routine. For instance, I'll challenge myself to do squats or lunges while playing with the little ones, toiling around the house or doing some gardening. Nobody has time for inertia with such demanding bossbabies around!

Also, I've recently started using an old trick again: tying some resistance bands around my legs just above the knees when I'm doing chores like mopping the floor or doing some serious cleaning. That way, I get some lower body exercise without noticing too much because the resistance is so subtle. It's quite genius because it utilizes otherwise idle time!

Staying motivated can be tough; I find that having adaptable, equipment-free exercises up my sleeve helps because often, the biggest barrier to working out is getting started. Having versatile routines makes exercising feel more manageable and enjoyable, so you're less likely to put it off.

What other clever ways do you guys use to sneak in exercise time without sacrificing your already busy schedule? Share your secrets! 😁

Fresh air and stroller walks are a great way to keep fit and enjoy the nice weather! I also like taking my kids to the park, and joining them in using the playground equipment - think monkey bars and slides! It's an unexpected full body workout but so much fun.

When baby sleeps, Mommy works out! That's my workout motto, which means I do a lot of at-home workouts while baby napping or playing independently nearby. I love high-intensity interval training (HIIT) workouts for a quick sweat sesh, and I've taken to dancing during the energetic segments! It's a fun way to incorporate some groovy moves into an otherwise intense workout.

Also, I recently discovered that carrying a wriggling toddler is excellent resistance training! Tot weights anyone? 😁

Yoga is a great way to keep active while enjoying some much-needed 'me time'. I usually practice yoga when my kids are asleep, as it helps me stay relaxed and focused, plus it's an opportunity to stretch out those mom-aches from carrying a toddler or chasing after a Presley.

I also make sure to put on some catchy music and dance around with the little ones whenever we're stuck indoors. It's a great way to keep them entertained and get our hearts racing too! If I'm lucky, my older kid will join in for a quick boogie. It's a fun way to keep active as a family without even realizing it. 😁

Wisdom says, "It's the little things that count" - an evening stroll with the family can be a great way to rack up some steps and bond at the same time! The husband and I try to make it a point to have a nightly walk after dinner, de-stresses us after a long day. win-win situation!
That's a lovely tradition you and your family have started! I think it's wonderful how something as simple as a nightly stroll can have multiple benefits: de-stressing, bonding, and getting some exercise.
The fresh evening air certainly clears the mind too!
Do share any other techniques you use to keep active and motivated, especially for us mums who spend most of their time at home. It's always encouraging to hear about easy ways to keep fit!

Good to know that you and your hubby de-stress by taking walks after dinner! It's indeed a great way to unwind and also spend some quality time together amidst the busyness of motherhood. Does he push the stroller too sometimes? That's a good way to get some exercise for both of you while spending time with the little one!

Good to hear that you and your husband make it a point to go for an evening stroll! It's a great way to end the day as a family and unwind together.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu