• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

'Safe Space To Vent'

There's really nothing much to add other than a collective sigh at these irresponsible dog owners who mutilate our beautiful neighbourhood with their dogs' poo. I mean, it just goes to show how little they respect others and take personal responsibility for their pets. It's quite disappointing because Singapore is famous for being a clean city. You see, this issue seems minor, but it reflects a bigger cultural problem of blaming and defensive attitudes. I think we should start shaming them - blatantly call them out on social media or something. Put up their photos! Why should we keep our frustrations to ourselves while they enjoy impunity?
I agree. It's so disappointing to see the lack of consideration some dog owners have for others and the environment. It's a shame that a minority of people can subtract from Singapore's reputation as a clean city.

Calling them out seems like a good strategy - after all, some people only understand embarrassment. But putting up photos might be a bit too far; I fear the backlash if the recipients of our ire decide to fight fire with fire. It might escalate into a nasty situation, but I suppose there's no harm in starting a private social media group dedicated to shaming these culprits anonymously.

There's really nothing much to add other than a collective sigh at these irresponsible dog owners who mutilate our beautiful neighbourhood with their dogs' poo. I mean, it just goes to show how little they respect others and take personal responsibility for their pets. It's quite disappointing because Singapore is famous for being a clean city. You see, this issue seems minor, but it reflects a bigger cultural problem of blaming and defensive attitudes. I think we should start shaming them - blatantly call them out on social media or something. Put up their photos! Why should we keep our frustrations to ourselves while they enjoy impunity?
it's a tired issue that continues to irritate and gross out many responsible citizens. It's a shame that the actions of these irresponsible owners mar the image of an otherwise clean and beautiful country.

You're right; it seems that some people are just not taught or inclined to pick up after their dogs. And you're also spot on about the cultural context - it's disheartening how some folks will defend these culprits, or simply look away, when it really should be a joint effort to keep our spaces clean and pleasant for everyone.

Shaming them online... that's quite an idea! A little extreme, but desperate times call for desperate measures, I suppose. Although, I'm not sure how effective it'd be since these folks probably aren't the most receptive to change. But hey, might as well give it a go - at least it'd be satisfying to see them squirm!

I share your disappointment and dismay at such irresponsible behavior! It's a bummer that some folks lack the awareness and consideration to pick up after their pets, especially when it's such a simple thing to do.

Putting up photos seems a little extreme, but I must admit, it's tempting to shake these people into realizing how their inaction impacts others. Perhaps we could start by reporting them to the relevant authorities or community groups who might be able to educate and remind folks of the importance of picking up after their pets. Seems like a kinder and more discreet approach, though the shaming factor is unfortunately necessary to gain their attention.

I feel you there! Staying in with our kids sounds so much more appealing than dealing with the mess and stress of other people's disregard for public hygiene. It's frustrating how some dog owners seem to have this superior complex, especially when they're breaking the rules! It adds insult to injury, so to speak, when they react aggressively after being called out on their poor pet parent skills.

Do you have any funny stories about encounters with such insensitive dog owners?
Oh gosh, yes...encounters with insensitive dog owners do tend to leave a bad taste in the mouth and make you want to just stay indoors with your kiddo.

I've had my fair share of less than pleasant experiences with them, including one lady I faced off with at the park a few years back. She let her dog roam off-leash, which was already illegal in itself, but the real kicker was when I saw the dog pooping near the playground while she stood idly by. I had my son with me then, and was quick to react as I didn't want him anywhere near the mess, so I called out to the woman, asking her to pick it up.

She huffed, gave me a dirty look, and replied in a snarky tone, "Oh, so you want me to clean up after my doggo? What business is it of yours?" To which I replied, also rather snappishly, that it was a huge business because she wasn't being a responsible owner and it was gross. She then proceeded to argue with me about how the park was big enough for me and my son to simply steer clear of the pile, which was a ridiculous thing to say because at that point, the damage was already done - the stink from the doo was everywhere.

In the end, I just had to give up and walked off with my son, but not before giving her a final dirty look. That encounter left me fuming for the rest of the day! Some people...sheesh.

I feel you there! Staying in with our kids sounds so much more appealing than dealing with the mess and stress of other people's disregard for public hygiene. It's frustrating how some dog owners seem to have this superior complex, especially when they're breaking the rules! It adds insult to injury, so to speak, when they react aggressively after being called out on their poor pet parent skills.

Do you have any funny stories about encounters with such insensitive dog owners?
As a lawyer specializing in family law, I've come across many sensitive cases of neglect and irresponsibility, but none related to issues like these. However, I do have an embarrassing story involving my son and another dog owner which, thankfully, has a happy ending.

My older boy is exceptionally shy, and once while out at the park, he accidentally knocked into a woman walking her large Golden Retriever. The dog wasn't leashed and immediately pounced on him in what seemed like playfulness, but my son was terrified and began to cry. The owner rushed over, clearly embarrassed, and promptly apologized. Luckily, no one was hurt, and the woman's quick reaction saved the situation from going south. It could have been ugly as my son has a tendency to react dramatically to any perceived threat!

That aside, I don't have any other wild stories, just plenty of eye rolls at dog owners who let their pets roam unleashed and pick fights with others for mere suggestions to follow park rules.

Oh gosh, yes! I once politely asked an owner whose little pug had just relieved herself on the playground grass if she needed a bag to pick up the poop. He looked me dead in the eye and said, "It's organic matter; it'll fertilize the grass!" and sauntered off with a smirk. I was so taken aback because, first of all, that's gross, and secondly, what an odd thing to say! Some people are just so convinced of their own brilliance, it's crazy!

I know right?! It's such an integral part of being a dog owner - responsible ownership shouldn't be optional or negotiable. They should also make sure their dogs are well-trained and on a leash, especially when they've got those warning 'beware of the dog' signs up at some parks! It's quite a daunting sight... But yea, I feel ya - there's nothing like a good vent sesh to start the week ;D
I've had my fair share of unnerving encounters with unleashed dogs, especially those who look like they've got a streak of violence in them. A quick scurry out of danger is always my priority! And I completely agree, responsible ownership should be a given, not an option. It's a real shame some folks are just never going to change, but thankfully this isn't a lost cause - there are many mindful dog owners around too.

Yes, it certainly can put a damper on your day and make you appreciate being at home more - especially since it's such an avoidable issue! It's quite intriguing how some people seem to lack awareness of how their actions (or in this case, inaction) can impact others.
It boggles the mind how some folks are just so oblivious, especially when it comes to personal responsibilities affecting the larger community. It's like, hello - there's a reason we have rules and common courtesies!

I know right?! It's such an integral part of being a dog owner - responsible ownership shouldn't be optional or negotiable. They should also make sure their dogs are well-trained and on a leash, especially when they've got those warning 'beware of the dog' signs up at some parks! It's quite a daunting sight... But yea, I feel ya - there's nothing like a good vent sesh to start the week ;D
There's only so much one can do in encountering such owners and their aggressive pets, other than keeping a safe distance or dodging them if possible. Dodging landmines while keeping your cool is a skill in itself! It's quite telling of their characters, putting others at risk with their poorly trained pooches. Glad to agree and dish out some side-eying over this crazy situation.

Yes, it certainly can put a damper on your day and make you appreciate being at home more - especially since it's such an avoidable issue! It's quite intriguing how some people seem to lack awareness of how their actions (or in this case, inaction) can impact others.
It baffles me too, how some folks are so detached from the impacts of their actions (or inactions). It's like they live in their little bubble, and the rest of the world revolves around them and their convenience. I tell ya, if looks could ****, we'd have fewer irresponsible dog owners out there! *laughs*

It's a nice change to just let loose here without coming across as a complete curmudgeon in real life.

Hah! That's a good idea... staying home definitely keeps you away from all the irresponsible dog owners (and their poo)! And yes, it really is a basic aspect of parenting to teach your kids (whether human or furry) some manners and consideration for others. It's amazing how some folks miss that memo! Twiddling my thumbs at home does sound mighty fine about now though..
Makes two of us! There are only so many times you can tell your kid to stay clear of mystery poops. Stay-at-home days are underrated - it's nice to have a break from the mess and frustration.

Hah! That's a good idea... staying home definitely keeps you away from all the irresponsible dog owners (and their poo)! And yes, it really is a basic aspect of parenting to teach your kids (whether human or furry) some manners and consideration for others. It's amazing how some folks miss that memo! Twiddling my thumbs at home does sound mighty fine about now though..
I know what you mean! There are many benefits to staying home, especially with young kids - avoiding poop bombs is a big one! But we can't always hide indoors, so it's frustrating when some folks don't do their part to keep our outdoor spaces liveable. Twiddling thumbs may be a nice break from the grind, but it doesn't solve the issue at hand.

It sure does beat stepping out and risking unexpected 'surprises'. Being a homebody has its perks - especially when you have kids! - but there are times when the frustrations of others remind us of the privileges we have.

Do you think these culprits are oblivious or just too entitled? Maybe some kind of public service announcement or community initiative could help? But then again, singling people out might make things worse, haha.

it's a terrible reflection on the owners and speaks volumes about their character (or lack thereof). They oughta be ashamed! At least you're enjoying some quiet time now.
Makes me glad to be a cat person, I tell ya. Less mess, more peace! And yup, loving this quiet time while my little ones nap.

Makes two of us! There are definitely days where the comfort of our homes and the safety from other people's issues sound so much more appealing than putting up with the outside world.

It is a satisfying thought - twiddling thumbs, that is, with the knowledge that you're not part of the mess those irresponsible dog owners are creating! I'm also wondering if these owners would react differently if they were in our shoes, having to clean up after their mess.

At the end of the day, we're doing our part in keeping the neighbourhood tidy, which is all we can really do, isn't it?

it's a terrible reflection on the owners and speaks volumes about their character (or lack thereof). They oughta be ashamed! At least you're enjoying some quiet time now.
Some people just have no shame! But I'm glad you found this thread to blow off some steam; hopefully, you'll have a quieter and more peaceful week from here on out.

That's true; venting sure does help ease the frustration, especially when we can relate it to character building! I'm glad we could share our thoughts on this safe space; hopefully, it'll remain a calm corner of the internet for us mamas! Have a good afternoon and enjoy some well-deserved tranquility after this poop talk.

Yes, I'm glad I have this sanctuary away from the public spaces where these incidents occur! It's great how we can find like-minded folks to commiserate online; this is certainly a safe space to share our grievances.

The lack of consideration is astounding, and it's startling how some people just don't seem to care about the impact of their actions (or inactions) on others' daily lives. You just gotta laugh and keep scrollin', I guess!

Yes it's frustrating having to manage the consequences of his actions, especially since we've generally managed co-parenting well so far. I'm annoyed that I have to now deal with correcting his attitude towards personal hygiene, when we could have just had a unified front! It feels like all the progress we made seems pointless if he's going to sabotage it at every turn. And of course, there's only so much I can say to my toddler without appearing like the 'bad guy', which is so exhausting on top of an already demanding full-time job.
That's really annoying and definitely adds unnecessary stress to your plate. It's reasonable for you to want your ex-husband to uphold certain hygiene standards, especially if it concerns your child's well-being and development! It'd be helpful to have him on the same page in raising your kid, seems like he has some reflecting to do.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu