• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

'Safe Space To Vent'

it's a terrible reflection on the owners and speaks volumes about their character (or lack thereof). They oughta be ashamed! At least you're enjoying some quiet time now.
I'm glad I have this sanctuary to retreat to-- my home, away from such eye-roll moments. It's like a mini-vacay from all the rudeness! We really should appreciate these simple joys in life - peace and quiet amidst the chaos.

Yes it's frustrating having to manage the consequences of his actions, especially since we've generally managed co-parenting well so far. I'm annoyed that I have to now deal with correcting his attitude towards personal hygiene, when we could have just had a unified front! It feels like all the progress we made seems pointless if he's going to sabotage it at every turn. And of course, there's only so much I can say to my toddler without appearing like the 'bad guy', which is so exhausting on top of an already demanding full-time job.
Totally get what you mean! It can be really frustrating when one parent goes against the grain - it undoes all your efforts and leaves you feeling defeated, especially when you're already spread thin managing a young family. Hope your co-parent is seeing reason soon so you guys can get back on the same page!

Yes it's frustrating having to manage the consequences of his actions, especially since we've generally managed co-parenting well so far. I'm annoyed that I have to now deal with correcting his attitude towards personal hygiene, when we could have just had a unified front! It feels like all the progress we made seems pointless if he's going to sabotage it at every turn. And of course, there's only so much I can say to my toddler without appearing like the 'bad guy', which is so exhausting on top of an already demanding full-time job.
I hear ya! It's so frustrating when one parent undermines the other's efforts, especially when it comes to teaching valuable life skills and manners. It's a real shame that you're having to navigate this hurdle alone, too. totes feel your exasperation mama! Here's hoping co-parenting harmony returns soon and that your ex's hygiene standards improve - for your tot's sake!

I feel you--it's so tricky when your efforts to co-parent collaboratively are met with such contrasting parenting styles. It's understandable how frustrating and draining this situation is, especially when you're already managing a young kid and a job. Toddlerhood is already a testing phase, and conflicts with your co-parent can really amp up the difficulties you're dealing with x1000! It does sound like this 'new attitude' is quite pervasive and has the potential to derail the positive dynamics you've established so far - hopefully there's some room for discussion on his end to meet you halfway?

It's frustrating when one parent undermines the other's efforts, especially regarding matters of discipline and values. Toddlers are adept at playing their parents against each other, so a difference in parenting styles can lead to confusion and inconsistency, which is never easy to manage.

It's understandable that you feel annoyed and exhausted– co-parenting requires a lot of grace and patience! Unfortunately, it's often the little inconsistencies that can wear us down the most.

Have you discussed this issue with your ex? It might be beneficial to remind him of the impact his actions have on your parenting dynamic and how it undermines the values you're trying to instil. If he's willing to listen, it could help your cause greatly! At the very least, it gets the issue out in the open and establishes a united front going forward.

It is frustrating! My ex is a great guy but we just couldn't make our marriage work due to our difference in values - he wanted the typical high-powered corporate lifestyle while I yearned for a simpler life. He's definitely a hands-on dad and loves our son very much, so I know it's not malicious in any way. But his idea of quality time involves exposing our toddler to all sorts of expensive extracurricular classes which is so not my style - I prefer spending time at the park or reading him stories. This latest incident involving Disney+ being on continuously for over two hours was especially irritating because it gave me a major headache trying to get our son down for his nap afterwards!

I've tried speaking to him about it but he gets defensive, saying that our son loves the screen time and it's important for his exposure to different experiences. I've explained my concerns about our child's sleep and also our finances (we're pretty comfortable but I still think the subscription is excessive), but he doesn't seem to agree with any of them!
You're doing your best and it sounds so annoying dealing with the aftermath. It must be hard too, having to approach this delicate co-parenting situation alone. Hopefully your ex will come around soon and see things from your perspective, for your son's wellbeing and also yours!

It is frustrating! My ex is a great guy but we just couldn't make our marriage work due to our difference in values - he wanted the typical high-powered corporate lifestyle while I yearned for a simpler life. He's definitely a hands-on dad and loves our son very much, so I know it's not malicious in any way. But his idea of quality time involves exposing our toddler to all sorts of expensive extracurricular classes which is so not my style - I prefer spending time at the park or reading him stories. This latest incident involving Disney+ being on continuously for over two hours was especially irritating because it gave me a major headache trying to get our son down for his nap afterwards!

I've tried speaking to him about it but he gets defensive, saying that our son loves the screen time and it's important for his exposure to different experiences. I've explained my concerns about our child's sleep and also our finances (we're pretty comfortable but I still think the subscription is excessive), but he doesn't seem to agree with any of them!
Your situation sounds really tricky, especially with your ex-husband having such differing views on parenting. It's understandable how his actions can undermine your efforts in shaping your son's habits and values, despite your thoughtful considerations for the child's well-being and your finances.

It's challenging when the other party is unresponsive to peaceful discussions, and unfortunately, there's only so much you can do without becoming the 'bad cop' in this scenario. You've certainly expressed your concerns articulately and reasonably! Co-parenting is tough when you have opposing viewpoints; hopefully, your ex will eventually see things from your perspective, especially for the sake of your son's long term well-being.

In the meantime, it might be useful to have some backup strategies to maintain your little one's sleep routines, as this seems to be the most immediate concern. Have you thought about some other rewards or special time that could replace the screen time and help sell the idea of less screen exposure? It may not fully solve the issue, but it could offer some variety for your son and give you some leverage with explaining the new routine! I'm thinking along the lines of a fun outdoor activity or a special story time - anything that your little one really enjoys and could become a new weekend ritual. That way, it might feel less like a punishment and more of an exciting alternative.

It's a difficult one because you don't want to withhold experiences from your child, but there has to be some give and take; hopefully, your ex sees that balance too and starts meeting you halfway, especially with the sleep issue which is so critical for your tot's development.

I feel ya. It's tricky when parents have such different styles, and unfortunately, it seems your ex has quite a different view of parenting from you. It's great that you've tried discussing it calmly, but it seems he hasn't budged on the issue, which must be frustrating beyond belief.

The good thing is that you've recognized this difference early on, so you can take steps to ensure it doesn't negatively impact your son too much - setting boundaries now will help manage your expectations of each other as co-parents, even if it's tricky! You're doing a great job trying to keep a healthy perspective for your tot's sake.

My ex is an irresponsible jerk who always puts his desires ahead of our son's wellbeing. He never listens and doesn't deserve the respect that comes with being Jason's parent! I'm seething with rage thinking about how he's going behind my back and undermining me because I know it'll only get worse from here. How do I stop this from spiralling further without looking like a bad guy?!! I don't want to be the strict, unreasonable mom while he gets to be the cool dad. Ugh, this sucks!
I feel your pain and your anger! It's a terrible feeling when one parent doesn't uphold the same standards, especially regarding something as important as your child's wellbeing. You're right to be concerned - it's a slippery slope! Keeping calm and collected while co-parenting is tricky, but remaining reasonable and having records of attempts at communication might be helpful should things escalate. Keep insisting on what's best for your child, and maybe suggest an open conversation with your ex about your shared parenting goals? It could help to agree upon some common boundaries.

I'm boiling with frustration, if I'm honest! I feel so powerless because my ex has always been the 'fun' parent, even before our divorce, and now it's like all hell's breaking loose! He has no respect for boundaries and is taking advantage of our son's rebellion phase, which could really damage him in the long run. I'm scared that this might turn into a bigger issue where Jason might start making decisions that he'll regret later on in life - I mean, tattoos are permanent! - and it seems like his dad doesn't care about the potential consequences at all. It's so selfish! Even if he isn't directly breaking any rules or laws, I feel like my ex is being a terrible influence and doing a disservice to our son.

This situation sucks even more because we have joint custody; it's not like I can put my foot down and take Jason away from this toxicity. I'm afraid this might blow up into a full-blown custody battle, which is the last thing I want - the poor kid has already been through enough with his parents splitting up. It just feels so helpless, you know? And the fact that there's little I can do except hope my son sees sense soon breaks my heart. Thanks for listening!
You've definitely got a tricky situation on your hands; it's tough when one parent seems to undermine the other's efforts, especially regarding values and discipline. It must be difficult seeing your ex-husband's contrasting parenting style and the influence it has on your son. Understanding your concerns as a dedicated mother is absolutely relatable!

The scenario is a delicate one, and I hear your fears about the potential fallout from this situation. It's a real bummer when differences in parenting philosophies complicate things further. It might be beneficial to approach your ex civilly - addressing your concerns and listening to his perspective could shed light on a possible compromise or solution, especially if you're anxious about the prospect of an intense custody battle.

I appreciate your reluctance to drag your son into a stressful situation, hoping instead that he'll see the light soon. It's a heartbreaking position to be in, so I'm sending lots of empathy and virtual support your way!

It's frustrating because his father should be on the same team, but he's being selfish and thoughtless - there's really no other way to put it. I'm the mom, and I say no to certain things for a reason. It's not like I'm some uptight freak who just enjoys disallowing fun stuff; piercings and tattoos are permanent or have potential health risks, and they should be taken seriously! They're not toys nor fashion accessories one can simply return if one tires of them or realizes they're not ready for the commitment.

I'd understood from the get-go that co-parenting would be a challenge because of our differing views on several issues, but I had hoped for more respect, especially when it comes to our son's well-being and his future. This is something I feel strongly about, and I've always been very clear about my stand. Now, I fear Jason will think it's okay to do whatever his dad says, even if Mom says otherwise because Dad thinks he knows best. It undermines my authority and sends the wrong message to our son!

So yes, I'm livid at the situation, and frustrated that I can't seem to get through to them, especially when his father doesn't live with us and doesn't see the day-to-day realities. Argh! This was definitely not how I wanted my Monday mornings to go!
That's a tricky spot to be in. It certainly isn't fun having to be the one enforcing rules and discipline while your ex gets to play the good cop. There's no easy solution, is there? Your son will definitely pick up on the differing messages being sent, so hopefully, it won't cause any long-term harm as you said - that's the last thing any parent wants!

It's frustrating because his father should be on the same team, but he's being selfish and thoughtless - there's really no other way to put it. I'm the mom, and I say no to certain things for a reason. It's not like I'm some uptight freak who just enjoys disallowing fun stuff; piercings and tattoos are permanent or have potential health risks, and they should be taken seriously! They're not toys nor fashion accessories one can simply return if one tires of them or realizes they're not ready for the commitment.

I'd understood from the get-go that co-parenting would be a challenge because of our differing views on several issues, but I had hoped for more respect, especially when it comes to our son's well-being and his future. This is something I feel strongly about, and I've always been very clear about my stand. Now, I fear Jason will think it's okay to do whatever his dad says, even if Mom says otherwise because Dad thinks he knows best. It undermines my authority and sends the wrong message to our son!

So yes, I'm livid at the situation, and frustrated that I can't seem to get through to them, especially when his father doesn't live with us and doesn't see the day-to-day realities. Argh! This was definitely not how I wanted my Monday mornings to go!
I feel ya. It's really annoying when one parent tries to be a kid's buddy instead of doing the hard but important job of disciplining and guiding them. It's a bummer when your coparenting efforts aren't in sync, and certainly adds extra unnecessary challenges. Hope your ex comes around and sees reason soon!

That's nice to hear that you and your ex are still on good terms despite your differences. Not many people can say the same! Immature parents can be a real headache, especially when their actions can significantly affect their children. Sympathy is much appreciated; thank you! It feels good to have a space to vent anonymously - you never know who might relate and offer some solid advice!
it's helpful to have an online forum to share our troubles and receive kind words of encouragement! I find that even if another user can't directly relate, the simple act of sharing often makes us feel lighter. Sympathy is a wonderful feeling and goes a long way in making the world seem warmer too.

It's really annoying cause now my son is turning into a rebellious teen who thinks he knows it all, thanks to his dad and granny - who spoiled him rotten growing up. They never listened to a word I said and now this is the outcome! I'm so upset thinking about how much they've influenced him; it feels like all my efforts have gone down the drain. I'm at my wit's end trying not to lose my cool with his recent attitude problem.
That's tough. No one wants to deal with rebellious teens, especially when it's due to the influence of other family members! It must be challenging to navigate this tricky situation.

That's nice to hear that you and your ex are still on good terms despite your differences. Not many people can say the same! Immature parents can be a real headache, especially when their actions can significantly affect their children. Sympathy is much appreciated; thank you! It feels good to have a space to vent anonymously - you never know who might relate and offer some solid advice!
Yes, I'm relieved that we're still amicable too - many of my friends have horror stories about their exes, so I consider myself lucky in that regard! It's comforting to know that others understand and have maybe been through something similar.

It's great to have this safe space online to share our struggles. I find it reassuring too, in a way - we're not alone in going through these trying situations! There are many like us out there. So nice to connect with you and hopefully others who might chime in too 😊

It's really annoying cause now my son is turning into a rebellious teen who thinks he knows it all, thanks to his dad and granny - who spoiled him rotten growing up. They never listened to a word I said and now this is the outcome! I'm so upset thinking about how much they've influenced him; it feels like all my efforts have gone down the drain. I'm at my wit's end trying not to lose my cool with his recent attitude problem.
That's really tough. It's frustrating when others close to your child can undermine you, creating a united front sounds easier said than done! It might help to share some tips on how you maintain a healthy dynamic with your co-parent despite the distance and differences in parenting styles.

It must be exasperating to deal with a rebellious teenager, especially when it's attributed to the influence of others close to your son. It's understandable how frustrating it can get, having your hard work undoing itself! As parents, we want the best for our kids and sometimes feel powerless when outside influences creep in. Take solace in knowing you've done your best; it's reassuring that you've stayed true to what you believe is right for him. It's a tough phase, but it'll pass!

That's great that you could get it off your chest! You're most welcome. It is liberating to speak your mind without restraint sometimes, especially when others understand your feelings so well!
it feels good to share anonymously - no judgment or preconceived notions based on my past experiences! I do feel a weight lifted off my shoulders; thanks again for the listening ears (or in this case, reading eyes)! Have a splendid day ahead, and here's hoping our teenagers keep us on our toes but not drive us over the edge!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu