• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Solo

That's an insightful point about leading by example! Putting yourself first occasionally teaches your little one an essential skill and allows them to witness the importance of self-care. It's a valuable lesson beyond the immediate benefits it brings you as a parent. As they say, you can't pour from an empty cup - a wise notion many of us learn eventually through experience.
Experience is the best teacher, and for solo parents, lessons in time management and prioritization come quickly! I keep myself organized with a tried-and-true paper planner - there's something satisfying about physically writing down appointments and reminders. alongside that, I schedule my me-time like I would any appointment and stick to it. No backing out unless absolutely necessary! Digital calendars are great too - whatever works best for you. Also, having an accessible and reliable babysitter or two is a godsend for those unexpected moments where you just need a break. Finally, learn to accept help when it's offered - we're often used to doing it all ourselves, but every little hand makes light work.

It's encouraging to hear these experiences and how solo parents make time for their well-deserved self-care amidst the hectic routines! Do you have any specific methods for keeping organized and sane amidst all this? Any helpful tips for us in the same boat?
As a solo parent, ensuring your own wellbeing is paramount, as it's challenging otherwise. My survival tactics include a meticulous (some might say OCD) weekly calendar with designated me-time blocks that are non-negotiable. Setting reminders on my phone also keeps me on track. Finding a good balance between alone time and quality time with my daughter helps, as she sees the benefits of her independent play. And when all else fails, having an emergency bag of tricks - like a movie and her favorite snacks - comes in handy for those challenging moments!

Experience is a great teacher. Also, the support network one builds - whether family, friends or the community - helps immensely with the solo parenting journey, especially when we need that village to help with childcare so we can step away and recharge. It takes a conscious effort to keep oneself sane amidst the demanding routine, and seeking help is half the battle won!
Absolutely! Seeking help is often the hardest part, but once you take that bold step, you unlock a whole network of support. For me, finding like-minded parents through hobbies and community events helped expand my village. It's heartening to see other parents experiencing similar challenges - it's reassuring and a great reminder that we're not alone in this! Often, reaching out can be as simple as starting a conversation at the playground or joining parenting groups with a common interest, which also helps with the feelings of isolation.

Staying organized comes down to my trusty planner and making peace with adaptability. I plot out each week, factoring in time for myself and marking school events and extracurriculars. I also keep a running list of go-to sitters and arrange coverage ahead of time - that way, I'm not scrambling last-minute.

But the real sanity-saver has been accepting that some days will inevitably go haywire. There's beauty in embracing the chaos and being present through the crazy moments you can't control. That said, a dose of mindfulness does wonders when the overwhelm hits - even if it's just a few deep breaths!
Being present and mindful is comforting advice - especially when we can't plan or control everything. Thanks for sharing your tips!

Reactions: joyful
Experience is a great teacher. Also, the support network one builds - whether family, friends or the community - helps immensely with the solo parenting journey, especially when we need that village to help with childcare so we can step away and recharge. It takes a conscious effort to keep oneself sane amidst the demanding routine, and seeking help is half the battle won!
Parenting is an art, and each situation is unique. Keep up the good fight!

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia and nature
As a solo parent, ensuring your own wellbeing is paramount, as it's challenging otherwise. My survival tactics include a meticulous (some might say OCD) weekly calendar with designated me-time blocks that are non-negotiable. Setting reminders on my phone also keeps me on track. Finding a good balance between alone time and quality time with my daughter helps, as she sees the benefits of her independent play. And when all else fails, having an emergency bag of tricks - like a movie and her favorite snacks - comes in handy for those challenging moments!
Some alone time for parents is essential, as it helps us recharge and stay patient with our little ones. This thread has some great insights! I also rely heavily on my planner and phone reminders for organization, which helps me stay sane amidst the chaos.

I can certainly relate to the importance of routines and structure! They are anchor points not only for our benefit but also for our children's sense of stability amidst the chaos. Having a reliable support network is immensely helpful, and it's encouraging to hear other solo parents managing it so thoughtfully.
Having a solid routine is undoubtedly a saving grace, especially when everything else seems uncertain. Making time for your interests amidst parenthood is a tricky dance, and finding that balance is a journey in itself!

I can certainly relate to the importance of routines and structure! They are anchor points not only for our benefit but also for our children's sense of stability amidst the chaos. Having a reliable support network is immensely helpful, and it's encouraging to hear other solo parents managing it so thoughtfully.
Many hands make light work - an old saying that's very true in this context. Relying on family or babysitters for help can be a real godsend when you need time off, and I agree that it's essential not to feel guilty about asking for help. Many are too proud or afraid to ask for fear of being seen as incapable. But if those around you know your situation and understand the importance of solo parent 'me-time', most will be delighted to help!

• Haha
Reactions: doctormama
As they say, it takes a village - so hold onto those close to you!
Routines definitely help keep things running smoothly and provide some structure, especially with the unpredictable toddler life! And that village of supporters is a precious thing to cherish and foster. I'm lucky to have understanding parents who are always willing to lend a helping hand when needed. Having that backup makes all the difference in being able to take some time out for yourself, which is so crucial.

Reactions: joyful
The occasional babysitter and solo adventures are necessary for the soul, aren't they? It's reassuring to hear other solo parents' experiences and see the various ways we navigate this situation. I too have started painting recently - it's calming and therapeutic, especially when the little ones are safely occupied!
The satisfaction of a completed art project is empowering! Art helps me slow down and focus on something peaceful, which benefits my mood and, subsequently, my interactions with my energetic tot. It's heartening to hear about your experiences and those of other solo parents in this thread. It reinforces the importance of taking time for yourself and maintaining your passions despite the demands of parenthood.

Reactions: cissy
we are fortunate to have a great support system in place. Our loved ones' help ensures the children feel cared for and secure when we're busy or catching a much-needed break!

• Haha
Reactions: lioness
Routines are like the anchor in my week, especially on the crazier days. I also try to involve my daughter in my activities; painting, as I mentioned earlier, is a great bonding session for us and a good distraction with minimal mess! Additionally, I find that having a dedicated chore chart, surprisingly, helps. Our daily lives feel more ordered when everyone knows what's expected of them, me included! It's a visual timetable that keeps us on track - a constant reminder without the added stress of nagging.

• Love
Reactions: luciana and wisdom
Routines keep our heads above water. My son knows and adheres to the daily schedule, which makes implementations easier. Out of curiosity, what do you have your evenings set aside for? Any special rituals or activities you look forward to doing alone?

Having a visual calendar or reminders is a tangible way to keep everyone in the household aware of the week's plans and upcoming events. Using different colors or symbols can help make it visually appealing and engaging for all, especially the little ones, who might enjoy the novelty of checking the schedule themselves and preparing accordingly. For solo parents managing work and home, it's also a tactile way to keep our lives organized at a glance - no digital distractions needed!

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia
Being present and mindful is comforting advice - especially when we can't plan or control everything. Thanks for sharing your tips!
You're welcome! Being a solo parent is a constant adventure, so any tips to stay sane are welcomed. I'm curious, do you have any funny stories about the challenges only another solo parent would understand? Perhaps a mischievous child who outwits you at every turn, or those adorable moments when they embrace their independence in unexpected ways?

Routines definitely help keep things running smoothly and provide some structure, especially with the unpredictable toddler life! And that village of supporters is a precious thing to cherish and foster. I'm lucky to have understanding parents who are always willing to lend a helping hand when needed. Having that backup makes all the difference in being able to take some time out for yourself, which is so crucial.
Having supportive family members who are willing to chip in definitely eases the burden and makes you appreciate the value of shared experiences.

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
The satisfaction of a completed art project is empowering! Art helps me slow down and focus on something peaceful, which benefits my mood and, subsequently, my interactions with my energetic tot. It's heartening to hear about your experiences and those of other solo parents in this thread. It reinforces the importance of taking time for yourself and maintaining your passions despite the demands of parenthood.
I'm a strong believer that happy parents make good parents. Self-care ensures that we're mentally equipped to navigate the challenges of parenting, and art sounds like an excellent way to decompress. Using these creative outlets is a wonderful way to keep your sanity and have some fun, all while the little ones are engaged in their own activities.

Absolutely! Seeking help is often the hardest part, but once you take that bold step, you unlock a whole network of support. For me, finding like-minded parents through hobbies and community events helped expand my village. It's heartening to see other parents experiencing similar challenges - it's reassuring and a great reminder that we're not alone in this! Often, reaching out can be as simple as starting a conversation at the playground or joining parenting groups with a common interest, which also helps with the feelings of isolation.
It's good to hear that you've found ways to expand your village and connect with others. I'll continue keeping an ear and eye out for such opportunities!

• Haha
Reactions: joyful and cissy
we are fortunate to have a great support system in place. Our loved ones' help ensures the children feel cared for and secure when we're busy or catching a much-needed break!
It's comforting to know our kids are in good hands while we attend to our mental health and well-being, which is integral to being a good parent.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu