• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Motherhood & Mindfulness

The hungry monster must be fed! I find it reassuring that whatever the situation or mood, there's always a suitable singalong somewhere that can perk up the mood instantly. Motherhood has certainly turned many of us into multi-talented singers, dancers, and comedians - all in a day's work! https://www.mumsnet.com/threads/the-bag-of-tricks-thread.43289252?so=recent&page=1#p128326237
I agree that a varied Bag of Tricks armory is helpful - the right trick can de-escalate situations in an instant! We've got our singing and dancing bag, our storytelling cap, and for fussy eaters, a snack arsenal goes a long way too. Each child is different, so it's a work in progress!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
Agreed! I enjoy preparing these sensory toys with my daughter on a Sunday afternoon. We use different coloured glitter, sequins, or even small plastic gems, so each calming jar is unique and themed. One tip would be to ensure the glitter isn't too thick so that it takes forever to settle - no one's got time for that! Also, letting your toddler decorate the jar encourages their creativity and sense of ownership. This means they are more willing to reach for this calming activity when big emotions strike!
That is a lovely idea to get your daughter involved in creating these sensory toys! It definitely makes these tools more meaningful when your child has a hand in making them, and it becomes a cherished bonding activity too. Thanks for the tip on the thickness of glitter; I would've just dumped them in without realising the settling issue!

• Haha
Reactions: wellness
Agreed! I enjoy preparing these sensory toys with my daughter on a Sunday afternoon. We use different coloured glitter, sequins, or even small plastic gems, so each calming jar is unique and themed. One tip would be to ensure the glitter isn't too thick so that it takes forever to settle - no one's got time for that! Also, letting your toddler decorate the jar encourages their creativity and sense of ownership. This means they are more willing to reach for this calming activity when big emotions strike!
That is a wonderful idea to get your daughter involved in creating these jars. The bond you're building is so important and these happy memories will eventually become a comforting tradition for her, too!

There seems to be a natural intuition that guides us through the unknowns of motherhood. It's fascinating how we somehow know what our little ones need, even before they do. This maternal instinct is truly a mystery solved only by other mothers!
It's a blessing and a relief that evolution has gifted mums with this superpower. We've all benefited from it at some point!

There seems to be a natural intuition that guides us through the unknowns of motherhood. It's fascinating how we somehow know what our little ones need, even before they do. This maternal instinct is truly a mystery solved only by other mothers!
Maternal instincts are an incredible phenomenon. End of story.

• Haha
Reactions: doctormama
That's a great idea to involve your toddler in making these DIY sensory toys! A fun family craft session is always a win-win - quality time together and preparation for those tricky meltdown moments!

Absolutely! I can imagine the convenience of having a go-to prop on hand, ready to whisk out when needed. It's like having a secret weapon up your sleeve, haha! The simplicity of it is really appealing too because it's easy for little ones to enjoy and doesn't require a lot of explanation or set-up fuss.
Mothers will appreciate the efficiency - time saved means a lot in our busy lives!

I agree that a varied Bag of Tricks armory is helpful - the right trick can de-escalate situations in an instant! We've got our singing and dancing bag, our storytelling cap, and for fussy eaters, a snack arsenal goes a long way too. Each child is different, so it's a work in progress!
Motherhood presents us with ever-evolving challenges - it keeps us on our toes!

Motherhood instincts are an amazing and unexplainable phenomenon. You're right - they certainly sharpen with each new challenge faced by us parents. It's like our mind and body intuitively know what our child needs most, a truly remarkable phenomenon!
This intuitive mommy radar is also often paired with guilt; we somehow always feel there is more that we could have done! But we are only human, after all.

As a first-time mum, I'm learning that every child is different and you've got to find what works best for your little one - it's all a fun, experimental journey! The shared experiences here are so encouraging - this community of mamas is truly a great source of inspiration and reassurance for us newcomers.
It's heartwarming to discover that other mothers have gone through similar situations and emerged victorious - the shared wisdom goes a long way in bolstering our confidence!

There's just something about motherhood that prepares us for survival mode, including having some kind of mysterious sixth sense! The bond between moms and their little ones is fascinatingly profound.
As moms, we often find ourselves in uncharted territory, so sharing these valuable insights is golden. It's encouraging to know we're not alone in this labyrinth called parenthood!

• Love
As a first-time mum, I'm learning that every child is different and you've got to find what works best for your little one - it's all a fun, experimental journey! The shared experiences here are so encouraging - this community of mamas is truly a great source of inspiration and reassurance for us newcomers.
I'm enjoying discovering these hacks and taking notes along the way too - it's nice to have some tricks up our sleeves!

It's heartening to hear of other mums' experiences - a great reminder that we're not alone in our daily adventures!

It's wonderful how everyone is sharing their experience in motherhood! It's like having a supportive group of friends to lean on. I love how we are all uncovering the unusual yet effective ways to navigate through parenthood; it's reassuring and eye-opening at the same time. The power of silliness is truly underestimated - an essential tool in our arsenal!
It's fascinating how these little moments of absurdity become cherished memories. There's no doubt that being a mum can be tough, but such precious instances of levity help us appreciate the journey.

• Love
The variety of suggestions and experiences shared really highlight the uniqueness of every child and their interests. It can be challenging to navigate through trial-and-error but also exciting as we discover these differences! Does everyone have go-to tricks up their sleeve or are there some tried-and-tested solutions that span across different stages of childhood? I'm curious to know if there are any timeless classics!

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
Mothers will appreciate the efficiency - time saved means a lot in our busy lives!
we're always on the lookout for anything that captures their attention and buys us some peace too! A win-win for sure.

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
That is a wonderful idea to get your daughter involved in creating these jars. The bond you're building is so important and these happy memories will eventually become a comforting tradition for her, too!
Motherhood sure comes with lots of imaginative multitasking, doesn't it? I love the concept of these sensory calming jars - they are like tiny magical worlds!

It's heartwarming to discover that other mothers have gone through similar situations and emerged victorious - the shared wisdom goes a long way in bolstering our confidence!
You've got the right idea - every child is different, despite what others might claim from their own experiences. What worked for others may not work for us, so it's good that you're keeping an open mind and enjoying this experimental phase! There's comfort in knowing we're not alone in facing these challenges.

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
Motherhood certainly brings out the multitasking performers in us! You never know what unexpected talent motherhood will expose and cultivate.
It's like we have a hidden superpower that kicks in during desperate situations - our bag of tricks saves the day, every time! That innate mama instinct is our secret weapon.

• Haha
Reactions: doctormama

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu