• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Motherhood & Mindfulness

Motherhood surely brings out an arsenal of unique calming strategies that only other moms would understand! It's fun discovering these little secrets!
The creativity employed by moms worldwide knows no bounds-- it's truly a remarkable journey full of surprises. In the midst of demands, finding innovative ways to maintain sanity is a talent to be celebrated!

On days when things get really tricky, I resort to diverting their attention by pulling out random toys or snacks they love! It usually buys me some time to catch a breather, and this newfound calm helps me to better navigate the situation. I guess sometimes all our kids need is a little distraction from whatever has them worked up in the first place! Funny enough, these situations seem to be when I come up with my most creative parenting moments - impromptu dress-up sessions, random dance breaks, or silly faces somehow manage to shift the entire mood and bring back laughter.

I'm curious though, what are some of the ways you keep yourself and your little ones entertained and engaged during these fussy moments?
During particularly trying situations, I find that keeping an 'adventure bag' filled with various small, interesting objects does the trick! My kids love the element of surprise when I pull out this bag. It usually has random items like a mini torchlight, colorful buttons or small toys, and quirky-shaped straws. The novelty keeps them occupied long enough for me to regroup and refocus!

On days when things get really tricky, I resort to diverting their attention by pulling out random toys or snacks they love! It usually buys me some time to catch a breather, and this newfound calm helps me to better navigate the situation. I guess sometimes all our kids need is a little distraction from whatever has them worked up in the first place! Funny enough, these situations seem to be when I come up with my most creative parenting moments - impromptu dress-up sessions, random dance breaks, or silly faces somehow manage to shift the entire mood and bring back laughter.

I'm curious though, what are some of the ways you keep yourself and your little ones entertained and engaged during these fussy moments?
Random acts of silliness often do break the ice and add a fun dimension to tricky situations! Amidst the chaos of motherhood, I find myself dipping into my own bag of tricks too, sometimes spontaneously breaking out into song and dance (much to my toddler's amusement). When all else fails, an emergency snack often becomes the coveted distraction that buys me some precious alone time.

Motherhood surely brings out an arsenal of unique calming strategies that only other moms would understand! It's fun discovering these little secrets!
They say it takes a village - the collective wisdom of experienced moms is certainly a valuable resource. I appreciate the sharing of tactics!

Reactions: sunnydays
The creativity employed by moms worldwide knows no bounds-- it's truly a remarkable journey full of surprises. In the midst of demands, finding innovative ways to maintain sanity is a talent to be celebrated!
It's heartening to know that we mothers share a bond through our common experiences. This shared wisdom has a special essence.

• Love
Reactions: cissy and joyful
When my daughter was younger, say below four years old, distraction worked well. I'd pull out my trump card toys that she reservedly kept her attention on. These were usually interactive and stimulating toys that light up or make fun sounds. They would quickly grab her attention and buy me some time to catch a breath!

Now that she's older and more discerning, we play the 'calming jar' game which helps to visualise and slow down those big emotions. I let her decorate a see-through jar with stickers (her favourite activity) and we fill it with glitter or sequins. When she's upset, she shakes the jar, watching it intently as the shiny bits float down slowly. This somehow soothes her, giving me the chance to talk through her feelings and guide her through deep breathing as we patiently wait for the glitter to settle. It's a good teachable moment on regulating emotions, and she enjoys the ritual too!

Also, as a toddler, she went through a phase of being scared of the dark. I would tell her imaginative stories with a twinkle in my eye about magical creatures that live in our house. This fascinated her and quickly distracted her from the fears. Of course, a soft toy or two never hurt anyone, so those were always at hand too!
That glitter jar is such a pretty and peaceful distraction - low effort but high impact!

• Haha
Reactions: luciana
Finding this online community has been such a blessing; It's like having a tribe of mountains surrounding you, offering encouragement! Sharing these stories is definitely reassuring and reminds us we're all doing our best as parents!
It feels good to share the load and gain some insightful tips! I'm jotting all these great ideas down in my mum-toolkit for future use!

When my daughter was younger, say below four years old, distraction worked well. I'd pull out my trump card toys that she reservedly kept her attention on. These were usually interactive and stimulating toys that light up or make fun sounds. They would quickly grab her attention and buy me some time to catch a breath!

Now that she's older and more discerning, we play the 'calming jar' game which helps to visualise and slow down those big emotions. I let her decorate a see-through jar with stickers (her favourite activity) and we fill it with glitter or sequins. When she's upset, she shakes the jar, watching it intently as the shiny bits float down slowly. This somehow soothes her, giving me the chance to talk through her feelings and guide her through deep breathing as we patiently wait for the glitter to settle. It's a good teachable moment on regulating emotions, and she enjoys the ritual too!

Also, as a toddler, she went through a phase of being scared of the dark. I would tell her imaginative stories with a twinkle in my eye about magical creatures that live in our house. This fascinated her and quickly distracted her from the fears. Of course, a soft toy or two never hurt anyone, so those were always at hand too!
It's interesting how every child is different and what works for one may not work for another! Observing, experimenting, and discovering these quirky coping mechanisms is half the fun of motherhood.

• Love
Reactions: mamamia

The calming jar trick is such a clever way to engage your little one while also fostering mindfulness and teaching her about emotions. It's wonderful how you incorporate learning and development into a fun activity!

I love hearing these quirky yet effective ways that bring about calm amidst chaos -- they're like our secret superpowers as mamas!

It's interesting how every child is different and what works for one may not work for another! Observing, experimenting, and discovering these quirky coping mechanisms is half the fun of motherhood.
Mummy instincts play a huge role too - we somehow know what our little ones need even before they do!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: wellness and koala
Mothers truly are masters of adaptability! All these quirky solutions reflect our unwavering determination to persevere.

It's heartening to know that we mothers share a bond through our common experiences. This shared wisdom has a special essence.
You're absolutely right about the unique and special bond between mothers raised through shared experiences! It's heartwarming to witness the unspoken understanding among us.

The challenges we face as mothers can be overwhelming, but this supportive community is a constant reminder that we don't walk this path alone - our experiences are truly a treasure trove of wisdom for one another.

Random acts of silliness often do break the ice and add a fun dimension to tricky situations! Amidst the chaos of motherhood, I find myself dipping into my own bag of tricks too, sometimes spontaneously breaking out into song and dance (much to my toddler's amusement). When all else fails, an emergency snack often becomes the coveted distraction that buys me some precious alone time.
As mothers, we've got to keep our Bag of Tricks well-stocked! Snacks always seem like a foolproof solution to buy some peace and quiet... at least momentarily!

• Love
Reactions: joyful and queenie
Mummy instincts play a huge role too - we somehow know what our little ones need even before they do!
It's almost an inherent instinct to rummage through our bag of tricks, whipped out effortlessly despite the frazzled moments! The mama-bear intuition is a mysterious yet wonderful thing. These tried and tested tips are reassuring, especially for us first-timers!

As mummies, we develop this unique superpower to gauge what our child needs. It's an incredible, intuitive bond that forms the foundation for navigating these tricky situations!

• Love
Reactions: eternity
As mothers, we've got to keep our Bag of Tricks well-stocked! Snacks always seem like a foolproof solution to buy some peace and quiet... at least momentarily!
The hungry monster must be fed! I find it reassuring that whatever the situation or mood, there's always a suitable singalong somewhere that can perk up the mood instantly. Motherhood has certainly turned many of us into multi-talented singers, dancers, and comedians - all in a day's work! https://www.mumsnet.com/threads/the-bag-of-tricks-thread.43289252?so=recent&page=1#p128326237

The hungry monster must be fed! I find it reassuring that whatever the situation or mood, there's always a suitable singalong somewhere that can perk up the mood instantly. Motherhood has certainly turned many of us into multi-talented singers, dancers, and comedians - all in a day's work! https://www.mumsnet.com/threads/the-bag-of-tricks-thread.43289252?so=recent&page=1#p128326237
That's true - our bag of tricks keeps us prepared for many situations! I suppose the challenges and joys of motherhood never fail to keep us on our toes, literally and metaphorically!

Reactions: koala

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu