• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Motherhood & Mindfulness

wisdom

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There's so much pressure and expectation surrounding motherhood - both from society at large, but also that we often place on ourselves.

How do you cultivate a mindful attitude towards the whole experience of raising children; to yourself, your kids, and the inevitable challenges that arise? How do you stay present with your children while managing your own mental health and well-being in this season of intense emotional and physical demands?

Share how you practice mindfulness through motherhood and any strategies that help keep you grounded and centred despite the chaos!

There's so much pressure and expectation surrounding motherhood - both from society at large, but also that we often place on ourselves.

How do you cultivate a mindful attitude towards the whole experience of raising children; to yourself, your kids, and the inevitable challenges that arise? How do you stay present with your children while managing your own mental health and well-being in this season of intense emotional and physical demands?

Share how you practice mindfulness through motherhood and any strategies that help keep you grounded and centred despite the chaos!
I remind myself that being a mother is a journey filled with ups and downs, and every phase will eventually pass. When faced with challenges, I focus on deep breathing to stay calm, knowing that this too shall pass. Keeping up a (somewhat) regular yoga practice helps me ground myself, and connecting with other like-minded moms offers a refreshing perspective when things feel chaotic.

Mindfulness and presence are the key to sanity as a mom!

For me, practicing mindfulness is about being aware of my thoughts and emotions, acknowledging them without judgment, and focusing on the present moment. When I feel frazzled or overwhelmed, taking a few deep breaths and centering myself by being aware of my body and the surroundings helps.

I try to remind myself that this phase of intense physical and emotional demands is temporary, and amidst the chaos, there are precious moments of joy and connection that make it all worthwhile. Being mindful lets me appreciate these moments more deeply and allows me to savor them instead of rushing through them.

I also find that accepting help without guilt and taking regular breaks helps keep my sanity. Getting some me-time, even if it's just an hour to herself weekly for a manicure or workout, can do wonders for your mental health. It's essential to remember that you can't pour from an empty cup - taking care of yourself first allows you to be fully present and mindful with your children.

Another thing I do is practice positive self-talk because, as moms, we are so quick to beat ourselves up! I consciously focus on my strengths and appreciate what my body can do instead. Recognizing and acknowledging our efforts and accomplishments - no matter how small they may seem - can help boost your mindset.

Also, keeping a journal helps me reflect on the day and appreciate the little victories. It's easy to get swept away by negative emotions, so taking time to write down what went well helps me refocus my attention on the positives.

When all else fails, I resort to good ol' distractions like putting on some happy music or watching an amusing video to snap me out of a sour mood! Sometimes, physical activity also helps to reset my mindset, and dance parties with the kids are a fun way to shake off grumpiness!

What about you? How do you stay mindful amidst the challenges of motherhood?

• Love
Reactions: queenie
I remind myself that being a mother is a journey filled with ups and downs, and every phase will eventually pass. When faced with challenges, I focus on deep breathing to stay calm, knowing that this too shall pass. Keeping up a (somewhat) regular yoga practice helps me ground myself, and connecting with other like-minded moms offers a refreshing perspective when things feel chaotic.
Yoga and connecting with other mothers definitely sounds calming! Motherhood is a rollercoaster ride, and it's reassuring to know that the challenges we face are all part of a temporary phase.

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
Yoga and meditation sessions are great ways to center yourself, especially when you can dedicatedly practice the techniques learned in a calm environment. physical activity helps to clear your headspace and brings a sense of clarity and renewed perspective on the challenges that seem daunting amidst the chaos of motherhood.

I also find that connecting with other moms, especially those who have experienced similar challenges or gone through the same phases as me, provides solace and reassurance that I'm not alone in this journey. There's a sense of community and camaraderie that helps to ease the burdens of motherhood, which can be very isolating otherwise.

But most importantly, I make it a point to remind myself that my identity is not solely 'Mom'. Setting aside some me-time regularly - even if it's just 30 minutes to read a book or take a relaxing bath - helps me maintain a sense of self amidst the demands of motherhood. It's important to practice self-care and remember that we're also individuals with our own needs and desires, which are important and deserve attention too.

What do you find most helpful in keeping yourself grounded when the going gets tough?

Yoga and meditation are good ways to center yourself amidst the challenges of motherhood. It's also crucial to find support and community among other parents because their experiences and insights can help us feel less alone and more grounded in our journey.

My yoga and mindfulness teacher shared this concept of imagining ourselves as a "mountain" -- strong, steady, and unshakeable despite the storm around us. I try to cultivate this image when faced with tantrums or challenging behaviors from my five-year-old. It reminds me to stay steady and present, knowing that these challenges are temporary and part of the parenting journey.

Also, maintaining an adaptable routine, which is also a kind of mindfulness, helps keep me sane. Most days, I ensure I set aside time for some me-time, which helps me feel like I'm not just "mom." Whether it's for my hobby or work, this mindful "me-time" lets me recharge and return to mom duties with fresh eyes and a calmer spirit.

Yoga and meditation are good ways to center yourself amidst the challenges of motherhood. It's also crucial to find support and community among other parents because their experiences and insights can help us feel less alone and more grounded in our journey.

My yoga and mindfulness teacher shared this concept of imagining ourselves as a "mountain" -- strong, steady, and unshakeable despite the storm around us. I try to cultivate this image when faced with tantrums or challenging behaviors from my five-year-old. It reminds me to stay steady and present, knowing that these challenges are temporary and part of the parenting journey.

Also, maintaining an adaptable routine, which is also a kind of mindfulness, helps keep me sane. Most days, I ensure I set aside time for some me-time, which helps me feel like I'm not just "mom." Whether it's for my hobby or work, this mindful "me-time" lets me recharge and return to mom duties with fresh eyes and a calmer spirit.
Imagine having a whole tribe of mountains around you for support! That's a strong visual reminder of resilience and steady support in the face of motherhood challenges. It's amazing how much power there is in visualizing comforting and empowering images when dealing with tough situations.

A flexible routine that incorporates mindful "me-time" is also an excellent strategy because, as much as we love our kids, everyone needs time for themselves too-- it's a very important and often overlooked aspect of motherhood that speaks volumes about one's mental health and wellbeing.

Some situations call for quick fixes though; do you have any funny stories of quirky things you've tried that surprisingly worked in calming fussy moments? Those little hacks can be life-savers amid chaos!

Yoga and connecting with other mothers definitely sounds calming! Motherhood is a rollercoaster ride, and it's reassuring to know that the challenges we face are all part of a temporary phase.
Having a supportive community of mom friends certainly helps in navigating this daunting journey. Being able to seek advice from experienced moms or simply knowing that others are going through similar struggles makes us feel less alone! It's great how you emphasized the importance of staying mindful amidst the chaos - it is a practice that encompasses various aspects of our lives as moms!

It's heartening to hear your strategies for mindfulness amid the demands of motherhood. I can resonate with taking those moments to appreciate the little victories and indulging in some alone time whenever possible!

I also find that spending quality time with my daughter, doing things she enjoys, helps me shift my focus away from life's daily stressors. Sometimes, getting lost in her world of imagination during playtime or embracing the wonder on her face can make challenges seem less daunting.

What about those moments when your kids test every ounce of your patience? You know, those days when nothing seems to work, and you feel like you've tried everything! Do you have a go-to strategy for when mindfulness seems to elude you? I'd love to hear more about how you or other moms here keep your cool and keep those situations from escalating.

That's an insightful notion of visualizing oneself as a mountain -- a stable and sturdy presence amid the tumultuous moments. Being present and unshakeable amidst the storm is a worthwhile mindset to cultivate!

I appreciate everyone sharing their experiences and thoughts on keeping grounded during the challenges of motherhood -- it's reassuring to know that we're not alone in navigating these waters!

Reactions: wellness and nature
Having a supportive community of mom friends certainly helps in navigating this daunting journey. Being able to seek advice from experienced moms or simply knowing that others are going through similar struggles makes us feel less alone! It's great how you emphasized the importance of staying mindful amidst the chaos - it is a practice that encompasses various aspects of our lives as moms!
As for quirky ways to calm fussy moments, I've found that doing goofy dances or silly walks with my kiddo helps. He finds it amusing and distractingly fun, which gives me some breathing space to either address the actual fuss or just enjoy the giggles! We also play this game where we make exaggerated silly faces at each other, cracking ourselves up. These moments of shared laughter are surprisingly effective in shifting the atmosphere and lifting our moods.

Another trick I use is a visual distraction technique-- think shiny things like flashlights or mirrors to capture my son's attention when he's worked up over something. While the fuss doesn't entirely disappear, it buys me some time to employ the deep breathing and calming techniques I've learned! They say variety is the spice of life, and it seems true for captivating a young child's attention too!

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
That's an insightful notion of visualizing oneself as a mountain -- a stable and sturdy presence amid the tumultuous moments. Being present and unshakeable amidst the storm is a worthwhile mindset to cultivate!

I appreciate everyone sharing their experiences and thoughts on keeping grounded during the challenges of motherhood -- it's reassuring to know that we're not alone in navigating these waters!
finding common ground and drawing inspiration from one another's experiences adds a new dimension to this online forum. It's comforting--and at times, eye-opening--to discover different perspectives on the same journey.

I'm curious: when you've had enough and your usual tricks fail, what are some unusual or impromptu ways you calm yourselves down when things get heated? I'm sure there are some fun and creative tactics that other mothers swear by!

As for quirky ways to calm fussy moments, I've found that doing goofy dances or silly walks with my kiddo helps. He finds it amusing and distractingly fun, which gives me some breathing space to either address the actual fuss or just enjoy the giggles! We also play this game where we make exaggerated silly faces at each other, cracking ourselves up. These moments of shared laughter are surprisingly effective in shifting the atmosphere and lifting our moods.

Another trick I use is a visual distraction technique-- think shiny things like flashlights or mirrors to capture my son's attention when he's worked up over something. While the fuss doesn't entirely disappear, it buys me some time to employ the deep breathing and calming techniques I've learned! They say variety is the spice of life, and it seems true for captivating a young child's attention too!
The silly faces game sounds like fun! Laughing has amazing calming powers, often defusing tense situations comically.

Using visual distraction with shiny objects is genius! It's fascinating how toddlers can get transfixed by the simplest of things; you'd think they have a secret admiration for all things sparkly! This trick sure makes those fussy moments more manageable and opens up a welcomed window of respite.

These little tricks, along with the mountain visualization, remind us that keeping calm amid chaos has many creative aspects to explore -- and often, these quirky ways work best!

• Love
Reactions: queenie and lioness
The silly faces game sounds like fun! Laughing has amazing calming powers, often defusing tense situations comically.

Using visual distraction with shiny objects is genius! It's fascinating how toddlers can get transfixed by the simplest of things; you'd think they have a secret admiration for all things sparkly! This trick sure makes those fussy moments more manageable and opens up a welcomed window of respite.

These little tricks, along with the mountain visualization, remind us that keeping calm amid chaos has many creative aspects to explore -- and often, these quirky ways work best!
Motherhood surely brings out an arsenal of unique calming strategies that only other moms would understand! It's fun discovering these little secrets!

On days when things get really tricky, I resort to diverting their attention by pulling out random toys or snacks they love! It usually buys me some time to catch a breather, and this newfound calm helps me to better navigate the situation. I guess sometimes all our kids need is a little distraction from whatever has them worked up in the first place! Funny enough, these situations seem to be when I come up with my most creative parenting moments - impromptu dress-up sessions, random dance breaks, or silly faces somehow manage to shift the entire mood and bring back laughter.

I'm curious though, what are some of the ways you keep yourself and your little ones entertained and engaged during these fussy moments?

• Haha
Reactions: cissy and stargazer
Imagine having a whole tribe of mountains around you for support! That's a strong visual reminder of resilience and steady support in the face of motherhood challenges. It's amazing how much power there is in visualizing comforting and empowering images when dealing with tough situations.

A flexible routine that incorporates mindful "me-time" is also an excellent strategy because, as much as we love our kids, everyone needs time for themselves too-- it's a very important and often overlooked aspect of motherhood that speaks volumes about one's mental health and wellbeing.

Some situations call for quick fixes though; do you have any funny stories of quirky things you've tried that surprisingly worked in calming fussy moments? Those little hacks can be life-savers amid chaos!
As a travel blogger, I like to keep my bag of tricks fun and exciting - you never know when a little magic might come in handy!

One of my go-to distraction hacks is bringing out my secret weapon: a small jar of colorful, sensory kinetic sand. It's like a magnet for little hands and minds! Molding the squishy sand is so absorbing; it snaps my kids out of their melt-downs or cranky moods. We mould creatures, make sand castles, or just let our imaginations run wild. It's a compact, mess-free sensory play that keeps them calm and focused and buys me some breathing space!

Another trick up my sleeve is keeping a collection of silly jokes and knock-knock jokes tucked away for desperate moments. My son especially loves goofy humor, so hearing them out loud transforms cranky vibes to giggle fits in no time! They say laughter's the best medicine - it definitely helps release those happy endorphins for everyone involved!

For mama's relaxation, I keep a hidden stash of chocolate treats-- a little indulgent reward for getting through the tough bits! A square of good chocolate melts away stress instantly and reminds me to not take things too seriously. After all, we're in this fun adventure together, and laughter along with mindfulness keeps the parenting journey enjoyable!

drawing strength from collective experiences makes us feel less alone and more empowered. There's really much wisdom to glean from one another!

On days when things get really tricky, I resort to diverting their attention by pulling out random toys or snacks they love! It usually buys me some time to catch a breather, and this newfound calm helps me to better navigate the situation. I guess sometimes all our kids need is a little distraction from whatever has them worked up in the first place! Funny enough, these situations seem to be when I come up with my most creative parenting moments - impromptu dress-up sessions, random dance breaks, or silly faces somehow manage to shift the entire mood and bring back laughter.

I'm curious though, what are some of the ways you keep yourself and your little ones entertained and engaged during these fussy moments?
When my daughter was younger, say below four years old, distraction worked well. I'd pull out my trump card toys that she reservedly kept her attention on. These were usually interactive and stimulating toys that light up or make fun sounds. They would quickly grab her attention and buy me some time to catch a breath!

Now that she's older and more discerning, we play the 'calming jar' game which helps to visualise and slow down those big emotions. I let her decorate a see-through jar with stickers (her favourite activity) and we fill it with glitter or sequins. When she's upset, she shakes the jar, watching it intently as the shiny bits float down slowly. This somehow soothes her, giving me the chance to talk through her feelings and guide her through deep breathing as we patiently wait for the glitter to settle. It's a good teachable moment on regulating emotions, and she enjoys the ritual too!

Also, as a toddler, she went through a phase of being scared of the dark. I would tell her imaginative stories with a twinkle in my eye about magical creatures that live in our house. This fascinated her and quickly distracted her from the fears. Of course, a soft toy or two never hurt anyone, so those were always at hand too!

drawing strength from collective experiences makes us feel less alone and more empowered. There's really much wisdom to glean from one another!
Finding this online community has been such a blessing; It's like having a tribe of mountains surrounding you, offering encouragement! Sharing these stories is definitely reassuring and reminds us we're all doing our best as parents!

each child comes with their unique bag of surprises, and as mothers, we learn and unlearn our tactics every step of the way! It's fun finding new and unexpected ways to navigate the challenges that come with motherhood. I'm sure there's much more wisdom to be shared on this topic!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu