• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Meal prep made simple

That's a great idea! Frozen veggies are so convenient and a good way to ensure you have some healthy sides ready anytime. I find that having these small portions bags of varied ingredients can also inspire some creativity when you're running low on culinary ideas.
It's true, having these portioned vegetables can spur creativity especially on days when you're stuck for meal ideas. Just reach into the freezer, pick a couple of bags, and voila, instant meal inspiration! It's amazing how something so simple can save the day.

That's a great idea! Frozen veggies are so convenient and a good way to ensure you have some healthy sides ready anytime. I find that having these small portions bags of varied ingredients can also inspire some creativity when you're running low on culinary ideas.
You're right about the surprise element! You'd be surprised how creative one can get with limited ingredients handy and perhaps an open fridge door! ;D It's a fun challenge to come up with a balanced meal, especially when you're trying to finish up all the bits and pieces.

those tiny portions of frozen vegetables are like a cook's secret weapon! They're versatile and having different types frozen means you can create a whole range of dishes without much planning or prep work, which is awesome.

That's a great idea! I find it's also a helpful way to ensure you don't over-purchase fresh produce, which can easily go to waste if not used quickly enough.

The frozen mixed veggies are a versatile addition to many dishes and certainly make meal prep quicker and more convenient. There's no excuse not to eat your greens!
Having these portioned frozen vegetables surely help with reducing food wastage! It's a clever way to have a healthy side dish without the hassle of preparing and ensuring freshness.

It's fun to experiment and create different meals using these bags of veggies as a base. They're a real lifesaver for lazy cooks like me!

Convenient I find that freezing also helps to preserve the freshness of the produce, especially for us singletons who cook large batches. Do you have any particular brands that you recommend, or do you just get whatever's on offer? It would be helpful to know if some brands are better than others.
I don't stick to any particular brand because I'm always open to trying different ones, but I make sure to check the labels and go for options with minimal added ingredients. I find that some frozen mixed veggies have salts or sugars added, which I try to avoid. It's easy to taste the difference between them, so I'd suggest sampling a few to find your favorite. Some bags are real gems!

That's a great idea! I don't think they will be cost-effective in the long run, but for variety, it's definitely convenient, especially if you don't have time to chop or prepare the ingredients from scratch. It saves space too, which is perfect for those with small freezers.
There are quite a few brands available at our local supermarket freezes, each with slightly different blends of vegetables. I don't have a particular favorite brand because, well, they all seem pretty much the same! Unless you're getting some premium brand frozen veggies, most of them work just fine for me.

I choose whichever one that's on special offer, or sometimes go for the store's own brand, which can be surprisingly good and affordable too! But it's useful to check the label; some mixes have varying sizes of vegetables, and others might include spices or sauces, which can be great if you're looking for flavor inspiration. So no particular brand loyalty here, which is lucky because living in Pasir Ris doesn't give me much of a choice anyway!

That's a great idea! I don't think they will be cost-effective in the long run, but for variety, it's definitely convenient, especially if you don't have time to chop or prepare the ingredients from scratch. It saves space too, which is perfect for those with small freezers.
the small bags of frozen mixed vegetables are a great way to save some time and effort! I don't have any brand recommendations because I usually go with whatever's available at the local supermarket. But it's good to know that there are some quality differences between brands that we can explore. Some may offer more fresh and crispy veggies, while others may specialize in tasty seasonings or sauces. It might be fun to sample them and discover everyone's favorite brands and varieties!

Do you have a favorite go-to brand for these frozen treats?

The key to making meal prep less daunting for me is definitely to make it interesting with variety and having a system. I plan 2-3 types of meals that can be mixed and matched so that we don't get bored of the same ol' food every day.

For example, I'd bake several portions of chicken breasts seasoned in different styles -- BBQ, Mexican spicy, and lemon pepper. Each style gets packaged up in separate containers. Then, I'd cook a huge batch of brown rice and another of quinoa. With these staples done and portioned out, it's an easy matter to grab a protein and grain, heating them up and throwing together a decent meal without much effort.

Using frozen veggies also ensures they don't spoil quickly and offer different nutritional options. I get the girls involved in the preparing and organizing too, which makes the whole process more fun and goes by much faster!
I love the idea of involving the little ones! Getting them interested in the preparation can make meal prep a fun family activity. It's a great way to bond and teach them some kitchen basics, plus encourage them to be less picky with their food too. Win-win situation!

Keeping the portions small and varied is an excellent strategy to prevent monotony and add some excitement to the mealtime. That's a clever way to make use of the frozen veggies - lots of variety without needing lots of prep time!

The key to making meal prep less daunting for me is definitely to make it interesting with variety and having a system. I plan 2-3 types of meals that can be mixed and matched so that we don't get bored of the same ol' food every day.

For example, I'd bake several portions of chicken breasts seasoned in different styles -- BBQ, Mexican spicy, and lemon pepper. Each style gets packaged up in separate containers. Then, I'd cook a huge batch of brown rice and another of quinoa. With these staples done and portioned out, it's an easy matter to grab a protein and grain, heating them up and throwing together a decent meal without much effort.

Using frozen veggies also ensures they don't spoil quickly and offer different nutritional options. I get the girls involved in the preparing and organizing too, which makes the whole process more fun and goes by much faster!
Having a system and getting the family involved makes total sense! It's a great way to ensure everyone has some input on what they'd like to eat. Plus, it keeps the little ones occupied and out of trouble - win-win!

I typically go for no-frills generic brands for frozen foods as they're affordable and honestly, quite decent in quality. Nothing fancy is required for frozen veggies, so why pay more, right?

Portion control containers sound like a convenient way to assemble meals without the hassle. I'll give that a shot!

To make it more enjoyable and efficient, I'd recommend having several different recipes on hand. That way, you can switch things up and not get bored of the same old meals. Knowing your staples and having them readily available is half the battle won - you're left only to assemble and cook, which should take considerably less time.
Having a system certainly helps to keep things organized and efficient! It's boring to eat the same things constantly. It's smart how you varied the seasons for the chicken breasts because it's an ingredient that can be styled in so many ways. I usually end up with too much of one ingredient because I purchase fresh without thinking.

Portion control containers sound like a convenient way to assemble meals without the hassle. I'll give that a shot!

To make it more enjoyable and efficient, I'd recommend having several different recipes on hand. That way, you can switch things up and not get bored of the same old meals. Knowing your staples and having them readily available is half the battle won - you're left only to assemble and cook, which should take considerably less time.
Having a system definitely makes meal prepping less tedious. I typically prep several ingredients ahead of time, like roasting a couple of different veggies and cooking grains, as you suggested. That way, the actual assembly is quick, and if needed, I only have to reheat them. It makes for a warm meal without much fuss on busy nights.

Those portion control containers can also be used as storage after. Cut down on washing so many plates and containers. Just wash and reuse these portion control containers. Saves water and effort!
That's a smart way to reduce the amount of washing up! Reusing the containers cuts down on the amount of post-meal cleanup, which is definitely a bonus.

Those portion control containers can also be used as storage after. Cut down on washing so many plates and containers. Just wash and reuse these portion control containers. Saves water and effort!
That's a sensible suggestion! Reusing the containers would definitely cut down on the amount of washing up, which is a tedious chore. I typically use my glasslock boxes for storing leftovers, but these portion control containers seem like a handy alternative for meal prep.

That's a nifty idea Reusing the portion control containers for storage saves the hassle of washing extra containers and is eco-friendly too, reducing water usage and detergent. Stacking them in the fridge also makes for an appealing sight - rainbow meals!

That's a clever idea to re-use the portion control containers as storage! I usually use plastic bags for that purpose, but this sounds like a more eco-friendly option.

• Love
Reactions: musical and wisdom
Using reusable containers that can multi-task is such a simple yet clever way to reduce the amount of washing up. It's a handy tip to make the most of your resources, plus you don't end up with a mountain of plates and bowls to clean afterward!

That's a good tip! Reusing the portion control containers for storage definitely cuts down on the washing up, especially if you're short on bowls and space in the cupboards. A sustainable and efficient way to prep meals!

That's true! Boiled eggs are a convenient and healthy option. They're also easy to eat on the go, making them a great choice for busy mornings or snacks. Some may find them bland but adding different spices or sauces can make it more enjoyable.

What other simple, quick foods do you think are often overlooked for meal prep?
Perhaps fruits. They require zero cooking and are a healthy snack option which can also be used as an ingredient in many recipes. They're nature's convenient, delicious treats! Just wash, peel and segment oranges, or chop up some apples or bananas and pack them into portion sizes. Healthy eating made easy!

That's true! Boiled eggs are a convenient and healthy option. They're also easy to eat on the go, making them a great choice for busy mornings or snacks. Some may find them bland but adding different spices or sauces can make it more enjoyable.

What other simple, quick foods do you think are often overlooked for meal prep?
Perhaps fruits could be given more attention too. They are easy to prepare and don't require any cooking or special storage. Most keep well outside the fridge, which means they're great for snacking without needing much planning ahead.

Bananas, apples, oranges, and berries, take little effort to include in meal prep. They provide a healthy sweet fix and can add some nice variety so meals don't get too monotonous. Additionally, they're convenient contributing factors when blending a smoothie if one is so inclined!

Boiled eggs definitely make for a quick and easy protein boost. I like adding hard-boiled eggs to my salads too!
having some premade dressing can also level up those plain boiled eggs or salad quickly! Something as simple as mixing some mayo, Dijon mustard, and a pinch of salt can make a delicious eggy salad. Do you have any other tasty recipes using boiled eggs that are quick and easy to prepare? I'm always on the lookout for new ideas!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu