• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Meal prep made simple

Boiled eggs definitely make for a quick and easy protein boost. I like adding hard-boiled eggs to my salads too!
The simplicity of boiled eggs makes them versatile and suitable for so many dishes - salads, sandwiches or even as a quick and healthy snack option. They're also relatively mess-free which is always a bonus!

Maybe it's their versatility that makes them an overlooked staple - you can pretty much use them in any meal and in any cuisine! It wouldn't hurt to keep a few cooked eggs on hand.

You're right about keeping things simple! Boiled eggs are a convenient and versatile option for sure. I sometimes add different spices and sauces to mix things up too, like a little sriracha for some kick.

Do you meal preppers out there also set aside time for some batch baking? I find it helpful to have some staple cookies or muffins ready to go alongside my prepared meals.
I'm not much of a baker, but I do occasionally make some healthyish banana bread or zucchini muffins which are yummy and nutritious. They're usually gobbled up quickly as an easy snack option so they definitely fit the bill! Anything that can be made ahead and frozen is a win in my books.

You're right about keeping things simple! Boiled eggs are a convenient and versatile option for sure. I sometimes add different spices and sauces to mix things up too, like a little sriracha for some kick.

Do you meal preppers out there also set aside time for some batch baking? I find it helpful to have some staple cookies or muffins ready to go alongside my prepared meals.
it's smart to stock some baked goods! But for health-conscious folk like me, I opt for loaves of freshly baked whole grain banana bread or zucchini bread - delicious and nutritious treats, perfect with a cuppa. They're also a great hit with the kids!

Baking in bulk helps me to meal prep too - portioning out homemade snacks ensures I'm not catching empty calories from shop-bought ones. It's also an opportunity to sneak some extra vegetables into the diet. Grated zucchini goes brilliantly hidden in chocolate chip cookies, and no one would guess there's spinach pureed into the banana bread!

Yes! Batch baking is a great idea and a good way to ensure a variety of foods. It's also a fun activity for kids with the right supervision - mine enjoy shaping the cookies and decorating them with eco-friendly, natural dyes. Having some sweet treats around also means that I don't feel left out while everyone else indulges in something tasty.

Batch baking is a great idea! It's a good way to ensure a constant supply of homemade treats without having to whip up something from scratch every time.

I usually stick to simpler bakes like banana bread or oatmeal raisin cookies, which can be portioned out and frozen. That way, I can take out a couple each day for my son's snacks or even breakfast on the go. They're also easy to defrost and heat up when needed, and a nice change from the usual store-bought biscuits.

What are some of your go-to baked treats?

Having a basic spice kit or two can also elevate your meal prep game! Some go-to spices like curry powder, paprika, and herbs de Provence can transform your meals from blah to wow without much effort. A pinch of these magical seasonings can turn a simple dish into something special.
having the right spices and knowing how to use them can really amp up your cooking game. It's amazing how something so small and inexpensive can make such a huge difference in taste! But I'd suggest going easy on the herbs de Provence - a little goes a long way!

What other secret weapons do you ladies have lurking in your pantry?

Having a basic spice kit or two can also elevate your meal prep game! Some go-to spices like curry powder, paprika, and herbs de Provence can transform your meals from blah to wow without much effort. A pinch of these magical seasonings can turn a simple dish into something special.
That's an excellent point! Having a collection of spices and condiments can really upskill our cooking. They're like instant flavour bombs. I usually go for garlic, ginger, and onions as a base and add according to smell...I mean, intuition :) Curry powder, which gives that distinctive fragrant flavor is also a favorite.

Do you have any other simple but impactful tricks up your sleeve?

That's an excellent point! I rely heavily on spices and dried herbs myself, as they add so much flavor to dishes without adding any calories or fat. They're especially useful when cooking simple meals, adding a sophisticated taste with minimal effort.

Some of my favorites are paprika and turmeric for adding warmth and depth of flavor. Chili flakes and garlic granules are great too, though I often use fresh garlic. Herbs like thyme and oregano, which can be grown at home, add such a wonderful fragrant touch too!

What are some spice staples that you keep in your pantry, and do you have any special recommendations?

Good point! I like having boiled eggs as a quick and healthy snack too. They're convenient and mess-free for my little one's school lunches. Sometimes I even sneak in some sliced hard-boiled eggs when preparing bento meals--they're just so versatile and easy to prepare in advance.
That's the spirit! Bento meals are a great way to add variety to meal prep too, with its cute and colorful compartments. They make meal times fun and inviting - you can never go wrong with some on-the-go bento snacks!

Good point! I like having boiled eggs as a quick and healthy snack too. They're convenient and mess-free for my little one's school lunches. Sometimes I even sneak in some sliced hard-boiled eggs when preparing bento meals--they're just so versatile and easy to prepare in advance.
That's an excellent idea to include boiled eggs! They're a healthy, protein-packed option that doesn't take up too much space in a packed lunch.
Adding some spices or sauces can make them more interesting too -- maybe even some mayonnaise or a simple egg salad.

Any other simple, parent-approved meal prep ideas for busy moms and dads out there?

Yeah, it's amazing how something as simple as batch cooking can make such a difference. I also give myself an easier time by using frozen or canned goods like mixed beans or corn, which are convenient and don't require additional prep work. Saves a lot of time and effort!

What other simple yet effective hacks do you guys use? Share your thoughts please!
Frozen vegetables are my ultimate meal prep hack--they're super convenient and help to ensure that I get a healthy serving of veggies with every meal. No worrying about spoilage too!

Yeah, it's amazing how something as simple as batch cooking can make such a difference. I also give myself an easier time by using frozen or canned goods like mixed beans or corn, which are convenient and don't require additional prep work. Saves a lot of time and effort!

What other simple yet effective hacks do you guys use? Share your thoughts please!
The convenience of frozen and canned goods cannot be understated! They're real timesavers and space fillers too--no need to worry about ingredients going bad if you can't consume them in time.

I also like using slow cookers for meal prep sometimes--just prep the ingredients, pop them into the cooker, and let it simmer to create something wonderful. It's hands-free cooking at its best! You come back after a while to a delicious, hearty meal, and it's especially useful when preparing larger quantities. Slow cookers are an often overlooked gem for easy cooking.

Stock up on tupperware! Get different sized containers to portion out meals ahead of time, so they are ready to be heated up when needed. It makes it easier to grab a healthy dinner or lunch, instead of buying takeouts or premade meals from the supermarket. Leftovers also don't go to waste.
storing leftovers in containers ensures nothing goes to waste! I recommend labeling them with dates and contents especially if you're freezer is filled with various soups, stews, or curries. It's a good habit to rotate and consume frozen meals every once in a while, so they don't stay in the freezer for too long.

Stock up on tupperware! Get different sized containers to portion out meals ahead of time, so they are ready to be heated up when needed. It makes it easier to grab a healthy dinner or lunch, instead of buying takeouts or premade meals from the supermarket. Leftovers also don't go to waste.
That's a good one! I've been using various-sized containers too, though I find that sometimes it helps to label them, especially when you're freezing meals. Dates, names (yes, my meals have names!), or even a simple "Heat/Eat" would help a lot, so you don't end up confusion and wasting good food! It's also motivating to see your prepared meals neatly stacked in the fridge or freezer, like a mini restaurant 😄 What other hacks do you meal preppers use to stay organized?

You're right; it's the little things that can make a big difference! Freezer bags are a real space saver, and they ensure your frozen goods don't end up freezer burned too.
Having a variety of bags and containers of different sizes really helps with storing meals and ingredients. It's exciting to see how meal prep can be so simplified!

You're right; it's often the simplest solutions that we overlook! Freezer bags are quite the space-savers, perfect for storing small portions. Glad to have shared this tip with you and hope it helps!
it's these simple hacks that make meal prepping less of a chore. Have you tried using reusable silicone storage bags? They're environmentally friendly, and you can use them over and over again which saves money in the long run!

You're right; it's often the simplest solutions that we overlook! Freezer bags are quite the space-savers, perfect for storing small portions. Glad to have shared this tip with you and hope it helps!
Meal prepping doesn't have to be intricate or fancy; simple hacks can make a big difference in saving time and effort. What's your take on using ready-made frozen foods? I'm thinking of things like steamed vegetables, chilled shrimp, or even those blended fruit packs--convenient or nah?

It's these simple yet impactful hacks that make the meal prep process more enjoyable and efficient.

Yes those simple hacks can make a big difference in saving space! You'd be surprised at how much time and hassle it saves you too, especially when you're rushing to get food on the table.
It's true; it's often the small and simple solutions that are the most effective. They say necessity is the mother of all inventions, so sometimes it just takes a bit of creativity born from necessity!

Yeah, it's a godsend for me! especially because I live alone and cook only for myself. I'm sure you'll find plenty of uses for those bags too - they're real meal prep game-changers!
You've convinced me! Looks like it's time for a trip to the grocery store. ;-)

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu