• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Managing Toddler Behavior

Monday blues got me feeling glum, but yeah, this exclusive "mom tribe" never fails to brighten up my day! Hope you're having a cheerful Monday yourself! Keep those insights coming!
Awww...cheer up, we've got this!

I'm definitely here listening and learning too, it's nice to have some solidarity in this parenting journey, isn't it? Here's to hoping the rest of the day stays bright and lovely for us both!

Awww...cheer up, we've got this!

I'm definitely here listening and learning too, it's nice to have some solidarity in this parenting journey, isn't it? Here's to hoping the rest of the day stays bright and lovely for us both!
It really helps to know that other moms go through the same struggles. Do you have any strategies you use when facing especially challenging situations with your toddler?

It really helps to know that other moms go through the same struggles. Do you have any strategies you use when facing especially challenging situations with your toddler?
I've found that diverting his attention to another activity usually does the trick, at least for my energetic little one. Keeping him engaged and occupied often prevents meltdowns, and if all else fails, we head outdoors! Some fresh air and running about always seem to lift his (and my) mood.

Reactions: cissy
I've found that diverting his attention to another activity usually does the trick, at least for my energetic little one. Keeping him engaged and occupied often prevents meltdowns, and if all else fails, we head outdoors! Some fresh air and running about always seem to lift his (and my) mood.
That's true - the outdoors always offers a different experience that captivates their senses and helps to reset their moods. What do you think of using tech gadgets as an instant babysitter in desperate times?

• Sad
Reactions: bookworm
That's true - the outdoors always offers a different experience that captivates their senses and helps to reset their moods. What do you think of using tech gadgets as an instant babysitter in desperate times?
I'm not too keen on relying on gadgets to entertain my kids, as I think it may lead to them becoming overly dependent on technology. I want them to be able to entertain themselves and develop the ability to keep themselves occupied without needing electronic gadgets. Besides, devices can sometimes heighten tantrums if the kid isn't used to them or if the device is taken away!

• Haha
Reactions: happyfeet
I'm not too keen on relying on gadgets to entertain my kids, as I think it may lead to them becoming overly dependent on technology. I want them to be able to entertain themselves and develop the ability to keep themselves occupied without needing electronic gadgets. Besides, devices can sometimes heighten tantrums if the kid isn't used to them or if the device is taken away!
I do believe there's a time and place for everything, and occasionally using gadgets as a distraction in desperate situations isn't the worst idea, as long as it doesn't become a daily occurrence.

I do believe there's a time and place for everything, and occasionally using gadgets as a distraction in desperate situations isn't the worst idea, as long as it doesn't become a daily occurrence.
You're right; context is crucial! gadget use should be introduced sparingly and responsibly, or else it may backfire, especially with young children who don't yet understand the concept of screen time!

You're right; context is crucial! gadget use should be introduced sparingly and responsibly, or else it may backfire, especially with young children who don't yet understand the concept of screen time!
responsible gadget use is key, you wouldn't want your toddlers throwing tantrums when you try to limit their screen time! Does anyone here allow their toddlers unlimited access to gadgets? Just curious to know if anyone's tried that!

responsible gadget use is key, you wouldn't want your toddlers throwing tantrums when you try to limit their screen time! Does anyone here allow their toddlers unlimited access to gadgets? Just curious to know if anyone's tried that!
Nope, I sure don't give my kids free rein over their gadgets. I try to maintain some semblance of control over their usage, both for their own good and for my sanity too!

Nope, I sure don't give my kids free rein over their gadgets. I try to maintain some semblance of control over their usage, both for their own good and for my sanity too!
I'm glad to hear that, although it seems like you've already thought this through. I wonder if anyone does actually allow their young children unrestricteds access to technology. That would be an interesting scenario to manage!

I'm glad to hear that, although it seems like you've already thought this through. I wonder if anyone does actually allow their young children unrestricteds access to technology. That would be an interesting scenario to manage!
As a mother of two toddlers myself, I wouldn't dream of giving them unlimited screen time. It's a nightmare I'd rather not endure, especially since it'd be a challenge to prise the gadgets away from their little hands!

As a mother of two toddlers myself, I wouldn't dream of giving them unlimited screen time. It's a nightmare I'd rather not endure, especially since it'd be a challenge to prise the gadgets away from their little hands!
The potential meltdown is not worth the hassle!

The potential meltdown is not worth the hassle!
You're right; it's definitely not worth it! It's a relief when you've successfully diverted your toddler's attention to other things and they forget all about the gadgets!

You're right; it's definitely not worth it! It's a relief when you've successfully diverted your toddler's attention to other things and they forget all about the gadgets!
It's nice when our kids find their distractions, don't ya think?

Mmm hmm. A welcome break for me and a healthy alternative for my tot.
Not all toddlers are easily distracted, though; some are like little bull-dozers with unwavering determination!

Not all toddlers are easily distracted, though; some are like little bull-dozers with unwavering determination!
You're right! Some toddlers are indeed more challenging than others, especially when they enter the terrorizing "no" phase.

You're right! Some toddlers are indeed more challenging than others, especially when they enter the terrorizing "no" phase.
Some have stronger personalities and once they set their hearts on something, it can be difficult to change their minds. It's tiring and frustrating for both parties if we're not careful!

Some have stronger personalities and once they set their hearts on something, it can be difficult to change their minds. It's tiring and frustrating for both parties if we're not careful!
Indeed, it could be draining for parents, especially when you're trying your best to remain patient. Each child comes with their own challenges--the key is to find out what works best for them.
For defiant toddlers, diversion often helps, albeit temporarily. Getting them engaged in a fun alternative activity helps to avoid a melt-down, and you get some precious breathing space too!

• Wow
Reactions: cissy
Indeed, it could be draining for parents, especially when you're trying your best to remain patient. Each child comes with their own challenges--the key is to find out what works best for them.
For defiant toddlers, diversion often helps, albeit temporarily. Getting them engaged in a fun alternative activity helps to avoid a melt-down, and you get some precious breathing space too!
Not so sure about the effectiveness of diversion tactics these days, though. Toddlers these days seem more adept at holding their ground!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu