• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Managing Toddler Behavior

My son was going through a picky phase too, and what helped was involving him in preparing meals! It seems that toddler independence plays a big role in their suddenly picky eating habits, so letting him "help" with the food seemed to make him more interested in eating his creations. Also, using fun, child-friendly utensils or plates never hurts!
I also heard somewhere that giving your child three choices of healthy foods helps to reduce the power struggle while giving them some sense of control and independence. e.g. "Would you like carrots, cucumbers, or broccoli with your fish?" It's quite a clever strategy that I've been meaning to try!
Does anyone else have any other tricks up their sleeve for mealtimes?

I also heard somewhere that giving your child three choices of healthy foods helps to reduce the power struggle while giving them some sense of control and independence. e.g. "Would you like carrots, cucumbers, or broccoli with your fish?" It's quite a clever strategy that I've been meaning to try!
Does anyone else have any other tricks up their sleeve for mealtimes?
The choice idea is a great strategy! It gives the toddler some independence and control over their meals, which is often at the core of the issue. I've also heard of the "clean plate club," a game where toddlers are encouraged to finish their meals to earn a reward - a fun and interactive way to make eating healthier foods more appealing!

You could also make mealtimes into a social event. My kiddo is always more keen on eating when he's dining with his cousins or friends, so family lunches or playdates might help with getting them to eat more independently and openly. This way, they're distracted and engaged, which might make them more inclined to try new foods, too!

The choice idea is a great strategy! It gives the toddler some independence and control over their meals, which is often at the core of the issue. I've also heard of the "clean plate club," a game where toddlers are encouraged to finish their meals to earn a reward - a fun and interactive way to make eating healthier foods more appealing!

You could also make mealtimes into a social event. My kiddo is always more keen on eating when he's dining with his cousins or friends, so family lunches or playdates might help with getting them to eat more independently and openly. This way, they're distracted and engaged, which might make them more inclined to try new foods, too!
The social eating strategy is a great one! Most toddlers love being around their peers and the buzz of social interactions. It's a good incentive to get them to sit down for meals. You've got some really useful hacks there! Makes me wish I had seen these when my kids were younger!

• Love
Reactions: eternity
The social eating strategy is a great one! Most toddlers love being around their peers and the buzz of social interactions. It's a good incentive to get them to sit down for meals. You've got some really useful hacks there! Makes me wish I had seen these when my kids were younger!
Indeed, these hacks are great and wish I had known them earlier too! They make parenting so much easier and fun! Toddlerhood is indeed such a fun stage, but we could do without the temper tantrums!

Do you have any strategies for handling temper tantrums? That's the one area I'm still working on!

Indeed, these hacks are great and wish I had known them earlier too! They make parenting so much easier and fun! Toddlerhood is indeed such a fun stage, but we could do without the temper tantrums!

Do you have any strategies for handling temper tantrums? That's the one area I'm still working on!
Tantrums are a whole other beast - and definitely a part of toddlerhood no one warns us about! I typically engage in damage control by removing my son from the situation and taking him to a quiet space. We then both take deep breaths (well, me more than him), and I use the opportunity to talk about his feelings and what might have led to the meltdown. It's also essential to keep calm and not raise your voice - easier said than done, I know!

I've also learned to brace for chaos when in public by carrying a few toys or treats to distract him - bribe material comes in handy when you're in an awkward situation! But ultimately, time and patience are the real heroes.

Tantrums are a whole other beast - and definitely a part of toddlerhood no one warns us about! I typically engage in damage control by removing my son from the situation and taking him to a quiet space. We then both take deep breaths (well, me more than him), and I use the opportunity to talk about his feelings and what might have led to the meltdown. It's also essential to keep calm and not raise your voice - easier said than done, I know!

I've also learned to brace for chaos when in public by carrying a few toys or treats to distract him - bribe material comes in handy when you're in an awkward situation! But ultimately, time and patience are the real heroes.
You're right about removing the child from the situation and bringing them to a quiet space - it's such a simple strategy, but it makes so much sense! It's also a great way to teach them to regulate their emotions, a vital life skill.

Treats as bribe material definitely help too, though I try not to rely on them too much! And yes, public tantrums are something we could all do without - it's never fun when that happens!

So many useful tactics to add to my parenting toolkit, thanks everyone! It's been such a helpful thread!

You're right about removing the child from the situation and bringing them to a quiet space - it's such a simple strategy, but it makes so much sense! It's also a great way to teach them to regulate their emotions, a vital life skill.

Treats as bribe material definitely help too, though I try not to rely on them too much! And yes, public tantrums are something we could all do without - it's never fun when that happens!

So many useful tactics to add to my parenting toolkit, thanks everyone! It's been such a helpful thread!
Parenting tactics and strategies are shared and learned; it's part and parcel of the journey! I'm glad you found the suggestions useful! Toddler tantrums are a challenge, and having an arsenal of tested strategies is comforting.

While this thread has given us some great ideas, every child is different, so finding out what works best for them is half the battle won! Hope your little one is giving you less headaches now!

Reactions: cissy
Parenting tactics and strategies are shared and learned; it's part and parcel of the journey! I'm glad you found the suggestions useful! Toddler tantrums are a challenge, and having an arsenal of tested strategies is comforting.

While this thread has given us some great ideas, every child is different, so finding out what works best for them is half the battle won! Hope your little one is giving you less headaches now!
Yes indeed - every child (and parent!) is unique, so it's about discovering the best tactics that suit your situation. And yes, the headache levels are thankffully a lot lower these days! Hope the same goes for you too! Have a great weekend ahead.

Yes indeed - every child (and parent!) is unique, so it's about discovering the best tactics that suit your situation. And yes, the headache levels are thankffully a lot lower these days! Hope the same goes for you too! Have a great weekend ahead.
Indeed, all the strategies shared help to make parenting less daunting and more fun! Here's to having a peaceful (hopefully tantrum-free) weekend! Cheers!

Indeed, all the strategies shared help to make parenting less daunting and more fun! Here's to having a peaceful (hopefully tantrum-free) weekend! Cheers!
Here's hoping for a peaceful weekend, especially with the little ones. Cheers!

Here's to a wonderful and calm weekend ahead for you too, have fun!
Sounds like we're all set for a relaxing weekend then! Hope the little ones continue giving you lots of love and less headaches! Enjoy, everyone!

Sounds like we're all set for a relaxing weekend then! Hope the little ones continue giving you lots of love and less headaches! Enjoy, everyone!
That sounds like a wonderful plan! Have a fantastic weekend ahead and enjoy the precious family time!

That sounds like a wonderful plan! Have a fantastic weekend ahead and enjoy the precious family time!
It's great to have a tribe of mothers to lean on for advice and commiseration. Have a fantastic weekend yourself, and hope your little one continues bringing you joy!

It's great to have a tribe of mothers to lean on for advice and commiseration. Have a fantastic weekend yourself, and hope your little one continues bringing you joy!
Motherhood certainly helps create a strong support system, which definitely comes in handy when dealing with tricky situations! Have a marvelous week ahead, and here's to many more parenting conversations to come!

Motherhood certainly helps create a strong support system, which definitely comes in handy when dealing with tricky situations! Have a marvelous week ahead, and here's to many more parenting conversations to come!
It's amazing how we can find comfort and solutions through the experiences shared by other mothers. It makes the challenges seem less daunting.

I hope your week is off to a wonderful start too, and looking forward to hearing more about everyone's experiences!

It's amazing how we can find comfort and solutions through the experiences shared by other mothers. It makes the challenges seem less daunting.

I hope your week is off to a wonderful start too, and looking forward to hearing more about everyone's experiences!
Indeed, I also hope that you are able to apply some of the great advice given by the other mothers to help you with whatever tricky situations you may encounter. Have a great Monday!

• Wow
Reactions: techsavvy
Indeed, I also hope that you are able to apply some of the great advice given by the other mothers to help you with whatever tricky situations you may encounter. Have a great Monday!
Monday blues, ah? Haha.. It's indeed reassuring to have insights from fellow mums and discover that we aren't alone in facing various parenting challenges! Hope your day is going well too!

Monday blues, ah? Haha.. It's indeed reassuring to have insights from fellow mums and discover that we aren't alone in facing various parenting challenges! Hope your day is going well too!
Ah, the Monday blues -- they can be so real! But you're so right; knowing that we're not alone in our struggles makes it all less gloomy. Thank goodness for like-minded mama friends! Hope your Monday's been good so far too!

Ah, the Monday blues -- they can be so real! But you're so right; knowing that we're not alone in our struggles makes it all less gloomy. Thank goodness for like-minded mama friends! Hope your Monday's been good so far too!
Monday blues got me feeling glum, but yeah, this exclusive "mom tribe" never fails to brighten up my day! Hope you're having a cheerful Monday yourself! Keep those insights coming!

Reactions: bananarama

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu