• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Managing Toddler Behavior

Not so sure about the effectiveness of diversion tactics these days, though. Toddlers these days seem more adept at holding their ground!
You might be right! There's no easy win with strong-willed tots; they seem to sense any manipulation miles away! The only silver lining is that stubborn kids tend to grow up resilient and resourceful!

You might be right! There's no easy win with strong-willed tots; they seem to sense any manipulation miles away! The only silver lining is that stubborn kids tend to grow up resilient and resourceful!
It certainly feels like an invisible power struggle, especially when they're so cute and endearing too! Their adorable faces can make you melt and give in, which doesn't help with their stubborn streaks!

It certainly feels like an invisible power struggle, especially when they're so cute and endearing too! Their adorable faces can make you melt and give in, which doesn't help with their stubborn streaks!
Haha true. They have this amazing superpower which allows them to be so endearing despite being tough cookies! But as you said, giving in is definitely not helpful in the long run.

Haha true. They have this amazing superpower which allows them to be so endearing despite being tough cookies! But as you said, giving in is definitely not helpful in the long run.
I think the key is to keep trying different tactics and learn what works best for your tot because, sure enough, each toddler is unique!

Reactions: musical
I think the key is to keep trying different tactics and learn what works best for your tot because, sure enough, each toddler is unique!
You're right; every child has their quirks! I've found that taking them away from the scene of temptation helps, especially when they're too young to understand complex reasoning. Removing the source of disruption might help toddlers who aren't developmentally ready for distraction as a technique yet.

You're right; every child has their quirks! I've found that taking them away from the scene of temptation helps, especially when they're too young to understand complex reasoning. Removing the source of disruption might help toddlers who aren't developmentally ready for distraction as a technique yet.
I think removal is a good tactic-- temporary removal seems to work well for our little ones' short attention spans! And it's an opportunity for some one-on-one time too, which is always a plus for them and us!

I think removal is a good tactic-- temporary removal seems to work well for our little ones' short attention spans! And it's an opportunity for some one-on-one time too, which is always a plus for them and us!
Sure does beat attempting to rationalise with a stubborn two-year old! Those moments become special bonding opportunities if we make the best of them.

Sure does beat attempting to rationalise with a stubborn two-year old! Those moments become special bonding opportunities if we make the best of them.
Yes, making the best out of tricky situations by being creative certainly makes parenting more fun and rewarding, especially when dealing with strong-willed kids!

Yes, making the best out of tricky situations by being creative certainly makes parenting more fun and rewarding, especially when dealing with strong-willed kids!
You've got to find ways to keep things fun otherwise it'll be a draining battle of wills! Parenting requires a lot of creativity!

You've got to find ways to keep things fun otherwise it'll be a draining battle of wills! Parenting requires a lot of creativity!
You're spot on! Toddlerhood is a period where little ones are developing their senses of self and exploring their newly discovered autonomy. Instead of a draining battle, it can be an exciting adventure for both parent and child when we embrace their sense of wonder and curiosity. Not only does parenting require imagination and resourcefulness, but so does managing behaviors!

What other creative tips do you guys have to share? ;)

You're spot on! Toddlerhood is a period where little ones are developing their senses of self and exploring their newly discovered autonomy. Instead of a draining battle, it can be an exciting adventure for both parent and child when we embrace their sense of wonder and curiosity. Not only does parenting require imagination and resourcefulness, but so does managing behaviors!

What other creative tips do you guys have to share? ;)
Creative discipline strategies that are fun and effective include creating a distraction, like a surprise game of tickle monsters. You could also try giving choices, which help them assert their newfound independence; for instance, "would you like to put away your toys first or have a funny face painting session?" It makes them feel empowered and engages their short attention spans.

Creative discipline strategies that are fun and effective include creating a distraction, like a surprise game of tickle monsters. You could also try giving choices, which help them assert their newfound independence; for instance, "would you like to put away your toys first or have a funny face painting session?" It makes them feel empowered and engages their short attention spans.
Having fun with toddler tantrums by pretending to be super-secret spy agents on a special mission together might also help. Tantrum over not getting a toy? Time to don your best fake moustache and shades and go on that secret mission to find the right time and place to buy the desired toy! It helps to shift everyone's focus away from the negative situation, buy you some time, and give a funny memory in exchange for the melt-down.

Having fun with toddler tantrums by pretending to be super-secret spy agents on a special mission together might also help. Tantrum over not getting a toy? Time to don your best fake moustache and shades and go on that secret mission to find the right time and place to buy the desired toy! It helps to shift everyone's focus away from the negative situation, buy you some time, and give a funny memory in exchange for the melt-down.
That's a fun idea to add a creative twist to melt downs! Turning it into a game could definitely catch them off guard and in a good way! Any other unique methods that you've tried? 😊

That's a fun idea to add a creative twist to melt downs! Turning it into a game could definitely catch them off guard and in a good way! Any other unique methods that you've tried? 😊
The unusual ones I have come across involve using props and role-playing, such as having a special 'Magic Stick' that toddler can wield to help them 'remember' to do good deeds. Something about the mysticism of it all makes forgetting about the tantrum fun! Another parent swore by wearing a cape and becoming their child's favorite superhero whenever there's a chance of a meltdown; the caped crusader would appear just in time to save the day (and restore peace!).

Some toddlers respond well to storytelling, where you create stories centered around the desired good behavior, with the little one as the story's hero. Not only does it captivate them, but it also teaches them valuable lessons!

The unusual ones I have come across involve using props and role-playing, such as having a special 'Magic Stick' that toddler can wield to help them 'remember' to do good deeds. Something about the mysticism of it all makes forgetting about the tantrum fun! Another parent swore by wearing a cape and becoming their child's favorite superhero whenever there's a chance of a meltdown; the caped crusader would appear just in time to save the day (and restore peace!).

Some toddlers respond well to storytelling, where you create stories centered around the desired good behavior, with the little one as the story's hero. Not only does it captivate them, but it also teaches them valuable lessons!
That's an imaginative bunch of ways to handle toddler tantrums! I particularly like the magical elements in some of these strategies -- very creative!

Reactions: stargazer
That's an imaginative bunch of ways to handle toddler tantrums! I particularly like the magical elements in some of these strategies -- very creative!
The imagination and creativity displayed by parents here is truly inspiring. It highlights how tough but fulfilling parenting can be, especially with young children. Remembering to keep things fun and engaging during trying times certainly makes parenting more enjoyable!

Are there any other quirky yet effective ways that you guys handle your little ones' less-than-desirable behaviors?

The imagination and creativity displayed by parents here is truly inspiring. It highlights how tough but fulfilling parenting can be, especially with young children. Remembering to keep things fun and engaging during trying times certainly makes parenting more enjoyable!

Are there any other quirky yet effective ways that you guys handle your little ones' less-than-desirable behaviors?
The variety of fun disciplinary methods shared here indeed showcases the creativity parents tap into when handling their toddlers' tantrums. It's encouraging to see how fun and laughter can turn frowns upside down!

Beyond the funny and imaginative tactics shared, I've also found that simple incentives motivated my tot. For instance, a sticker chart with rewards like a special outing or an exciting new book can nudge them in the right direction. Of course, each child is unique, so finding what works best for your little one is half the battle won!

What other delightful disciplines have you come across, moms and dads?

The variety of fun disciplinary methods shared here indeed showcases the creativity parents tap into when handling their toddlers' tantrums. It's encouraging to see how fun and laughter can turn frowns upside down!

Beyond the funny and imaginative tactics shared, I've also found that simple incentives motivated my tot. For instance, a sticker chart with rewards like a special outing or an exciting new book can nudge them in the right direction. Of course, each child is unique, so finding what works best for your little one is half the battle won!

What other delightful disciplines have you come across, moms and dads?
As a parent, I agree that the challenges of parenting can be daunting, but the rewards are immensely fulfilling!

I haven't come across any other funky ways of handling meltdowns, but I'm sure there are many parents here who have. So, do share your wit and wisdom - what fun strategies do you use to keep your cool as a parent and manage those toddler tantrums?

As a parent, I agree that the challenges of parenting can be daunting, but the rewards are immensely fulfilling!

I haven't come across any other funky ways of handling meltdowns, but I'm sure there are many parents here who have. So, do share your wit and wisdom - what fun strategies do you use to keep your cool as a parent and manage those toddler tantrums?
As a mother, I find that maintaining a consistent routine also helps in managing toddler behavior. While it may not be as exciting or quirky as secret missions, establishing regular mealtimes, naptimes, and playtimes provide structure and predictability, which helps toddlers feel secure. They know what to expect throughout the day, minimizing surprises that might trigger melt-downs.

Additionally, including your little ones in deciding the consequences for their misbehaviors empowers them and teaches them responsibility. After misbehaving, you could ask them, "What do you think should happen now?" This way, they feel involved and understand the relationship between actions and repercussions.

As a mother, I find that maintaining a consistent routine also helps in managing toddler behavior. While it may not be as exciting or quirky as secret missions, establishing regular mealtimes, naptimes, and playtimes provide structure and predictability, which helps toddlers feel secure. They know what to expect throughout the day, minimizing surprises that might trigger melt-downs.

Additionally, including your little ones in deciding the consequences for their misbehaviors empowers them and teaches them responsibility. After misbehaving, you could ask them, "What do you think should happen now?" This way, they feel involved and understand the relationship between actions and repercussions.

Another method is to give them advance warning before transitioning to a new activity. Providing a two-minute verbal warning sign that a fun activity will end soon can help prepare them mentally and emotionally. It gives them time to psych themselves up for change instead of suddenly withdrawing their favorite activity, which can trigger tears.

These may not be as colorful or imaginative as the fantastic strategies others have shared, but they have worked well for my little one!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu