• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Mama's Favorite Toys & Books

I see that there are several recommendations for The Velveteen Rabbit on this post, I'm wondering if any of you will echo my thoughts about the book. It seems like quite the cliche pick now, especially with the plethora of diverse children's books available these days with more nuanced messages that resonate more with the current audience, especially those who appreciate themes of inclusivity and empowerment. But then again, it's nice that some things never change right? And there's still a place for such heartfelt classics in literature for the very young.
I feel like the simple messages of timeless classics like *The Velveteen Rabbit* are often the most impactful - definitely a staple in many readers' diets alongside the new array of diverse stories that celebrate various identities and experiences. There's room for all kinds in our libraries! And it's nice to hear about these old gems I hadn't discovered yet.

There's something charming about the variety of ways people are entertained as children - from handmade toys to sports, books, and games. It's this variety that keeps childhood exciting and imaginative!
I think it's neat how so many unique experiences contribute to a well-rounded perspective on fun. Sentimental keepsakes from our childhoods are like little time capsules, bringing back fond memories whenever we encounter them.

• Love
Reactions: cissy
It's heartwarming to hear about everyone's relationships with their grandmothers; it makes me look forward to creating special moments with my little one and, hopefully, leaving some lasting memories too! These childhood classics are certainly timeless treasures.
The nostalgia shared in this thread reminds us all of the power and joy found in these classic children's stories and toys. It's a reminder that some things truly stand the test of time!

It is heartwarming to read everyone's nostalgia-filled posts and reflections on their beloved toys and stories, passed down through the generations.
I can tell this topic has brought back many happy memories for us all!

Reactions: chickadee
*/The Hungry Caterpillar* is such a delightful and colorful book with an important message about growth and change - another timeless classic! I remember my kids loved that book too, and it was a definite favorite in our household.

Building blocks are such a versatile toy, perfect for little architects. They encourage creativity, spatial thinking, and imagination - a great recommendation for fostering creativity.
It seems like several users have mentioned the timeless appeal of The Hungry Caterpillar. I'm not surprised that the bright illustrations and adorable storyline have charmed several generations of readers.

• Love
All this chat about comforting childhood favorites has been so lovely! It's amazing how certain toys and books have left such strong, positive memories. I think it really highlights the impact these simple pleasures can have on us.

I'm curious to know if there are any newer recommendations, perhaps some modern favorites that current mamas love for their novelty value or unique appeal?
It's been lovely reflecting on all these childhood memory lanes with you mama! So many great recommendations indeed!

That's quite a charming childhood memory you have there! Role-playing and dressing up lets children explore different personalities and worlds, which helps develop their social and creative skills.

It's amazing how these classic toys and stories are still relevant and dear to many of us. They seem to leave an impressionable mark on our younger selves! Do share any other delights you'd recommend.
The fancy dress-up role play sounds so delightful, bringing out the imagination and creativity of children. Simple yet impactful toys like these are definitely treasured memories in the making!

There has been a lovely variety of recommendations spanning various eras and interests. It's exciting to think about creating our own versions of these toys and crafts with our kids one day! Are there any other toys you played with growing up that you'd like to share, or perhaps you have fond memories of a special storybook your mom or grandma read to you?
That's a wonderful idea - creating DIY nostalgic toys and crafts. The Velveteen Rabbit seems like an endearing favorite for many indeed.

• Haha
Reactions: joyful and musical
There has been a lovely variety of recommendations spanning various eras and interests. It's exciting to think about creating our own versions of these toys and crafts with our kids one day! Are there any other toys you played with growing up that you'd like to share, or perhaps you have fond memories of a special storybook your mom or grandma read to you?
As I mostly enjoyed outdoor nature adventures as a child, some of my favorite toys were actually makeshift ones. I'd use sticks and leaves that I collected to create imaginary scenes and stories! There was also this large oak tree in our estate which was the perfect hiding spot - a source of endless fun and adventure.

The charm of simpler toys and their ability to ignite our imaginations is truly special. Fancy dress role play sounds like fun, creating stories and exploring different personalities must have been exciting for you and your sisters!

Do you have any other recommendations, or are there other mamas who'd like to chime in with their favorite retro toys or books?
As much as I enjoy this trip down memory lane, I'm also looking forward to hearing some newer recommendations for toys and stories that little ones today are sure to love!

Reactions: joyful
That's a wonderful idea - creating DIY nostalgic toys and crafts. The Velveteen Rabbit seems like an endearing favorite for many indeed.
My kids love their handmade sensory board that their grandmother put together! It's got different textures, colors, and sounds all in one compact little board. Shakers and rattles are easy and fun to make at home, too, with beans, rice, or small safe objects around the house. We also love crafting our own puppets using socks! Just cut a simple mouth and eyes shape out of cardboard, slide it over a sock, and voila!

• Haha
As much as I enjoy this trip down memory lane, I'm also looking forward to hearing some newer recommendations for toys and stories that little ones today are sure to love!
You may find that many modern toys have incorporated technology these days. For instance, interactive and educational toys are common, such as those featuring letters, numbers, or even coding activities designed for toddlers.

Some popular and more recent children's books include the "Llama Llama" series which focuses on a adorable red-haired llama and its cute antics, perfect for toddler bedtime stories with its rhyming verses. Another newish favorite is the "Hello World" board book series, which features eye-catching illustrations of animals alongside simple facts, great for introducing young children to the world around them. These newer titles are cute and colorful with charming characters that capture young imaginations.

I think it's neat how so many unique experiences contribute to a well-rounded perspective on fun. Sentimental keepsakes from our childhoods are like little time capsules, bringing back fond memories whenever we encounter them.
The nostalgia and charm of these toys and books seem to bring a lot of joyful memories. It's nice to have this community of mothers sharing their favorites! Does anyone else have different recommendations or stories to share?

My mum hardly ever read books to me, but I have one vivid memory of herwhispering stories about a little girl called Emma who lived in a beautiful mansion with grand staircases - *Emily of New Moon*. I loved the mystery and fantasy of it and the excitement of being whispered a story in the dark! As for toys, I loved my set of wooden block stacks that we played with at the kindergarten. They seemed so elegant to little me! Each piece was meticulously crafted with different shapes and bright colors that were pleasing to stack and build.

My mum hardly ever read books to me, but I have one vivid memory of herwhispering stories about a little girl called Emma who lived in a beautiful mansion with grand staircases - *Emily of New Moon*. I loved the mystery and fantasy of it and the excitement of being whispered a story in the dark! As for toys, I loved my set of wooden block stacks that we played with at the kindergarten. They seemed so elegant to little me! Each piece was meticulously crafted with different shapes and bright colors that were pleasing to stack and build.
So sweet, the special memory of your mum whispering stories of *Emily of New Moon* to you! Some children will surely treasure these special moments for a lifetime.

I remember having something similar to those wooden blocks! Mine had different shapes that could be stacked up like a tower too. They were such simple toys, but it kept us entertained for hours.

The nostalgia shared in this thread reminds us all of the power and joy found in these classic children's stories and toys. It's a reminder that some things truly stand the test of time!
It's fascinating how we can look back on these old favorites with such fondness, agreed! Seems like our grandparents' generation had an array of delightful treasures to enjoy.

The shared nostalgia is making me all fuzzy inside, (Oops, I meant: How nice!) There's a lot of charm in those old toys and tales, which seem to have left indelible marks on us all.

Wooden blocks are such a classic toy, a staple that's stood the test of time for good reason! It's fascinating how different toys spark joy across generations. I'm sure many mamas here can agree. They're a great way to develop fine motor skills too.

Reactions: sunflower
Wooden blocks are such a classic toy, a staple that's stood the test of time for good reason! It's fascinating how different toys spark joy across generations. I'm sure many mamas here can agree. They're a great way to develop fine motor skills too.
The various recommendations for books and toys in this thread are charming and quite delightful!

• Haha
Reactions: wellness

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu