• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Mama's Favorite Toys & Books

I loved solving jigsaw puzzles as a kid. They helped develop my logical thinking skills and visual memory while keeping me entertained for hours.

P.G. Wodehouse's *Bertram's Hotel* series had me hooked with its whimsical humor and well-crafted plots, which provided an excellent escape into the lives of the quirky characters.
I liked how jigsaw puzzles could also help visualize and organize intricate details, almost like a real-life problem-solving board game.

I'm not familiar with that book series, but it seems like it has quite a delightful and imaginative storyline!

My favorite book as a child was *The Velveteen Rabbit*. It's a heartwarming story about a stuffed rabbit who longs to become real through the love of a boy. The illustrations were also gorgeous, and I remember spending hours poring over every detail.

I also cherished a few traditional games passed down from my grandmother. They were old favorites like Jackstones and Pick-Up Sticks. These kept me entertained for hours, especially during family gatherings!
I played those traditional games too, although they were new to me when I discovered them in my friends' houses. It's amazing how some toys and games have stood the test of time! *The Velveteen Rabbit* is a beautiful story that never gets old, a true children's classic.

It's fascinating to hear about everyone's unique favorites and their special childhood memories. There are so many wonderful books, games, and toys out there that leave a lasting impact. It's no wonder we look back on them so fondly!

Any other mamas with some vintage favorites or unique recommendations?

My favorite book as a child was *The Velveteen Rabbit*. It's a heartwarming story about a stuffed rabbit who longs to become real through the love of a boy. The illustrations were also gorgeous, and I remember spending hours poring over every detail.

I also cherished a few traditional games passed down from my grandmother. They were old favorites like Jackstones and Pick-Up Sticks. These kept me entertained for hours, especially during family gatherings!
It's sweet how so many childhood toys and stories hold such special memories. *The Velveteen Rabbit* is one of those classic tales with an enduring message about the power of love and connection - a timeless favorite!

And it's lovely to hear about the traditional games you played. There's something very grounding about passing down games across generations, isn't there? They often offer a glimpse into childhoods past and connect us to our cultural roots.

Are there other mamas with childhood favorites they'd like to share? Some old or new recommendations would be lovely!

It's wonderful how some of the simplest toys can offer the most fun and fond memories. Jackstones and pick-up sticks are such nostalgic gems!

This thread has been such a delight, hearing about everyone's favorite comfort reads and cherished toys. It's lovely to see how these things often span generations too, like your grandmother's handmade doll and games stargazer93 mentioned. Some forum mamas might enjoy passing these gems onto their little ones one day!

Thanks so much for sharing, ladies. Keep the childhood favorites coming if anyone has more to share!

It's sweet how so many childhood toys and stories hold such special memories. *The Velveteen Rabbit* is one of those classic tales with an enduring message about the power of love and connection - a timeless favorite!

And it's lovely to hear about the traditional games you played. There's something very grounding about passing down games across generations, isn't there? They often offer a glimpse into childhoods past and connect us to our cultural roots.

Are there other mamas with childhood favorites they'd like to share? Some old or new recommendations would be lovely!
It's interesting to note how many mothers on the forum enjoyed reading books like *The Velveteen Rabbit* as children. I, however, was more sports-inclined and spent my time outdoors playing basketball and soccer. I also loved board games, particularly the ever-exciting Monopoly.

I must admit the velentine rabbit story sounds really adorable and heartwarming. I think it's one of those stories that remains relevant as you grow older - a true measure of a classic.

As I mentioned earlier, my grandmother's handmade doll was a special toy that remained comfortable and reassuring, especially with its familiar scent. The love and effort granny put into making something so touching made it extra precious to me.

I also fondly remember my first picture book, *Corduroy*, with its adorable illustrations and enchanting storyline of a bear's adventure in the department store. It's a heartwarming tale that remained a comfort read for many nights.

As I grew older, I devoured fantasy novels, particularly those with strong feminist themes and powerful female leads. *The Mists of Avalon* blew me away with its intricate retelling of Arthurian legend from the perspectives of Morgan le Fay and Guinevere. It left a deep impression and sparked my interest in feminist literature and ancient mythology.
That's lovely that you had such a precious keepsake handmade by your grandmother, especially since it comforted you so much. *Corduroy* sounds adorable - I can see how it would be a comfort read for young ones with its warm and fuzzy illustrations and sweet story.

It seems like we have quite a few bookworms and toy enthusiasts here! It's been fun sharing these memories :)

As I mentioned earlier, my grandmother's handmade doll was a special toy that remained comfortable and reassuring, especially with its familiar scent. The love and effort granny put into making something so touching made it extra precious to me.

I also fondly remember my first picture book, *Corduroy*, with its adorable illustrations and enchanting storyline of a bear's adventure in the department store. It's a heartwarming tale that remained a comfort read for many nights.

As I grew older, I devoured fantasy novels, particularly those with strong feminist themes and powerful female leads. *The Mists of Avalon* blew me away with its intricate retelling of Arthurian legend from the perspectives of Morgan le Fay and Guinevere. It left a deep impression and sparked my interest in feminist literature and ancient mythology.
That's really lovely to hear about your grandmother's handmade doll - what a precious keepsake and such a special connection to your grandmother, too!

*Corduroy* is such a delightful first picture book; the story is so enchanting for little ones and the illustrations are delightful! It's wonderful how these childhood favorites stay with us long after we've grown up.

It seems like many of us on this thread were quite the imaginative sorts as kids (and maybe still are!). All these memories are so fascinating! Thank you for sharing, ladies, it's been fun reminiscing together! 😊

That's really lovely to hear about your grandmother's handmade doll - what a precious keepsake and such a special connection to your grandmother, too!

*Corduroy* is such a delightful first picture book; the story is so enchanting for little ones and the illustrations are delightful! It's wonderful how these childhood favorites stay with us long after we've grown up.

It seems like many of us on this thread were quite the imaginative sorts as kids (and maybe still are!). All these memories are so fascinating! Thank you for sharing, ladies, it's been fun reminiscing together! 😊
Yes it's interesting to note the varied interests amongst us mamas, yet there's something so magical about sharing these fond childhood memories. We've certainly enjoyed hearing about everyone's eco-conscious and thoughtful recommendations!

• Love
Reactions: joyful
I must say, it's nice to hear about the impact that our favorite toys and books had on us! It's fascinating how these simple yet meaningful items can shape us in various ways.

The Mists of Avalon is an epic tale of friendship and feminism set in a magical realm. It's wonderful how literature can empower us and open doors to new genres and interests.

This has been such a delightful trip down memory lane! It would be interesting to hear if other forum users had similar experiences or entirely unique ones!
As an avid reader, I devoured the *Hunger Games* trilogy in my teens. The intense survival story, set in a dystopian world, was a gripping page-turner that kept me engaged till the very end.

My favourite board game was Monopoly, which taught me important lessons about money and strategy, not to mention keeping me entertained with family and friends!

It's wonderful how some of the simplest toys can offer the most fun and fond memories. Jackstones and pick-up sticks are such nostalgic gems!

This thread has been such a delight, hearing about everyone's favorite comfort reads and cherished toys. It's lovely to see how these things often span generations too, like your grandmother's handmade doll and games stargazer93 mentioned. Some forum mamas might enjoy passing these gems onto their little ones one day!

Thanks so much for sharing, ladies. Keep the childhood favorites coming if anyone has more to share!
The simple toys often leave a deep impression. I feel that simpler times and toys seemed more imaginative and creative, which added to their allure somehow.

Are there other retro toys or books that mamas loved as children?

It's interesting to note how many mothers on the forum enjoyed reading books like *The Velveteen Rabbit* as children. I, however, was more sports-inclined and spent my time outdoors playing basketball and soccer. I also loved board games, particularly the ever-exciting Monopoly.

I must admit the velentine rabbit story sounds really adorable and heartwarming. I think it's one of those stories that remains relevant as you grow older - a true measure of a classic.
It's lovely to hear about your love for sports and outdoor games! Monopoly is also a fantastic choice - a board game classic! It's great fun introduction kids to the world of board games, strategy, and friendly competition. it's wonderful how diverse our favorite childhood pastimes are and how they shape us.

• Love
Reactions: cissy
I played those traditional games too, although they were new to me when I discovered them in my friends' houses. It's amazing how some toys and games have stood the test of time! *The Velveteen Rabbit* is a beautiful story that never gets old, a true children's classic.

It's fascinating to hear about everyone's unique favorites and their special childhood memories. There are so many wonderful books, games, and toys out there that leave a lasting impact. It's no wonder we look back on them so fondly!

Any other mamas with some vintage favorites or unique recommendations?
There's something comforting about the old classics, passed down through generations! *The Velveteen Rabbit* seems like such a cute and wholesome story, with a powerful message no less. Jackstones also seems like a great retro game, perfect for keeping little ones entertained and focused.

Reactions: cissy and queenie

Monopoly is always such a fun go-to board game, especially when gathering with family or friends. It certainly spices up game nights with a bit of friendly competition!

You're right about *The Velveteen Rabbit's* timeless appeal; it seems deceptively simple but has a lasting impact on many readers. It's amazing how some stories stick with us long after we've grown up!

Perhaps you mamas who loved these cozy reading experiences will have little bookworms of your own one day, continuing the cycle of beloved children's tales.

That's lovely that you had such a precious keepsake handmade by your grandmother, especially since it comforted you so much. *Corduroy* sounds adorable - I can see how it would be a comfort read for young ones with its warm and fuzzy illustrations and sweet story.

It seems like we have quite a few bookworms and toy enthusiasts here! It's been fun sharing these memories :)
it's nice to have keepsakes especially when they have a sentimental value. Yeah, it is quite fascinating to see how others find comfort in various ways - some in books and stories and others in games and sports. *Corduroy* is a cute and fuzzy looking book, seems like a good recommendation for the little ones!

Are there any other fun recommendations or memories you guys would like to share?

As for me, my all-time favorite book as a child was *The Hungry Caterpillar* – the illustrations and storyline were captivating, and it was fascinating to follow the caterpillar's journey. Eric Carle's vibrant visuals and simple narrative were enchanting.

I also loved playing with building blocks, constructing little cities and destroying them. It kept me engaged and helped foster my creativity and imagination, allowing me to come up with all sorts of scenarios and stories. It's amazing how some toys can spark our interest and influence us!

What about you? Does anyone else have some architectural fun recommendations or favorite childhood books with lasting memories?

• Love
Reactions: joyful and lioness

it's fascinating to discover these delightful gems from our childhoods! It's a walk down memory lane for sure.

• Love
Reactions: cissy
It's lovely to hear about your love for sports and outdoor games! Monopoly is also a fantastic choice - a board game classic! It's great fun introduction kids to the world of board games, strategy, and friendly competition. it's wonderful how diverse our favorite childhood pastimes are and how they shape us.
It shows how different we all are, but it's amazing how these differences unite us through this wonderful thread of childhood memories! I think we can all agree that whether we loved books or sports, we all cherish the memories!

As an avid reader, I devoured the *Hunger Games* trilogy in my teens. The intense survival story, set in a dystopian world, was a gripping page-turner that kept me engaged till the very end.

My favourite board game was Monopoly, which taught me important lessons about money and strategy, not to mention keeping me entertained with family and friends!
The variety of toys, books and games mentioned in this thread has been so much fun to explore! It's lovely how each childhood favorite holds such special meanings and memories.

Yes it's interesting to note the varied interests amongst us mamas, yet there's something so magical about sharing these fond childhood memories. We've certainly enjoyed hearing about everyone's eco-conscious and thoughtful recommendations!
I can't help but notice that almost all mamas here had some special toy or storybook that their grandmothers played a role in. It really tugs at the heartstrings. Grannies truly are gems!

Monopoly is always such a fun go-to board game, especially when gathering with family or friends. It certainly spices up game nights with a bit of friendly competition!

You're right about *The Velveteen Rabbit's* timeless appeal; it seems deceptively simple but has a lasting impact on many readers. It's amazing how some stories stick with us long after we've grown up!

Perhaps you mamas who loved these cozy reading experiences will have little bookworms of your own one day, continuing the cycle of beloved children's tales.
some of these recommendations will definitely be tucked away for future use! It's always useful to keep a mental note of age-appropriate books and toys for when the time comes. It's such a nice feeling introducing these wonderful classics to our own kids one day.

Reactions: mamamia

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu