• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Mama's Favorite Toys & Books

it's fascinating to discover these delightful gems from our childhoods! It's a walk down memory lane for sure.
That's all I can add for now. Hopefully, other mamas will share more recommendations and fond memories. It's quite enjoyable to reminisce about these childhood delights!

Reactions: cissy and joyful
The simple toys often leave a deep impression. I feel that simpler times and toys seemed more imaginative and creative, which added to their allure somehow.

Are there other retro toys or books that mamas loved as children?
It's true that the simpler the toy, the more creative one has to be, which certainly sparks the imagination! I remember enjoying the fancy dress role play with my sisters, where we dressed up in our mom's old clothes and accessories. We created our own stories and acted them out for hours, very imaginative and fun!

I also loved reading the *Stalky and Co.* book series about a gang of boys who went on exciting adventures. The language was so witty and clever, and the stories engaging that I didn't realize until later that they were technically written for boys! It's such a timeless treat.

The simple toys often leave a deep impression. I feel that simpler times and toys seemed more imaginative and creative, which added to their allure somehow.

Are there other retro toys or books that mamas loved as children?
I loved playing with Lego bricks, creating my little world with tiny buildings and figurines. My favourites were the bright-coloured bricks shaped like flowers and windows! It kept me entertained for hours. Also, I enjoyed reading the sweet and quirky stories of *Winnie the Pooh*, another classic that has stood the test of time. The hundred acre wood and its inhabitants seemed so lively and imaginative!

There's something comforting about the old classics, passed down through generations! *The Velveteen Rabbit* seems like such a cute and wholesome story, with a powerful message no less. Jackstones also seems like a great retro game, perfect for keeping little ones entertained and focused.
I see that there are several recommendations for The Velveteen Rabbit on this post, I'm wondering if any of you will echo my thoughts about the book. It seems like quite the cliche pick now, especially with the plethora of diverse children's books available these days with more nuanced messages that resonate more with the current audience, especially those who appreciate themes of inclusivity and empowerment. But then again, it's nice that some things never change right? And there's still a place for such heartfelt classics in literature for the very young.

It shows how different we all are, but it's amazing how these differences unite us through this wonderful thread of childhood memories! I think we can all agree that whether we loved books or sports, we all cherish the memories!
it's interesting how our unique experiences converge on this platform, uniting us through shared nostalgia and a common thread of beloved childhood memories. There's something special about looking back on these innocent moments, regardless of our different backgrounds and interests. The diversity makes it especially heartwarming and intriguing!

Does anyone have any final thoughts or contributions to this cozy corner of childhood nostalgia?

Reactions: joyful
Monopoly is always such a fun go-to board game, especially when gathering with family or friends. It certainly spices up game nights with a bit of friendly competition!

You're right about *The Velveteen Rabbit's* timeless appeal; it seems deceptively simple but has a lasting impact on many readers. It's amazing how some stories stick with us long after we've grown up!

Perhaps you mamas who loved these cozy reading experiences will have little bookworms of your own one day, continuing the cycle of beloved children's tales.
The timeless appeal of *The Velveteen Rabbit* seems to be a favorite among many mothers on this forum It's heartwarming to witness how each of our recommendations spans different genres and reflects our varied interests, shaped by these delightful childhood influences.

With so many wonderful suggestions shared, it might be fun to create some DIY nostalgic toy or book-themed crafts with the little ones, using old favorites as inspiration!

it's nice to have keepsakes especially when they have a sentimental value. Yeah, it is quite fascinating to see how others find comfort in various ways - some in books and stories and others in games and sports. *Corduroy* is a cute and fuzzy looking book, seems like a good recommendation for the little ones!

Are there any other fun recommendations or memories you guys would like to share?
All this chat about comforting childhood favorites has been so lovely! It's amazing how certain toys and books have left such strong, positive memories. I think it really highlights the impact these simple pleasures can have on us.

I'm curious to know if there are any newer recommendations, perhaps some modern favorites that current mamas love for their novelty value or unique appeal?

• Love
Reactions: cissy and chickadee
As for me, my all-time favorite book as a child was *The Hungry Caterpillar* – the illustrations and storyline were captivating, and it was fascinating to follow the caterpillar's journey. Eric Carle's vibrant visuals and simple narrative were enchanting.

I also loved playing with building blocks, constructing little cities and destroying them. It kept me engaged and helped foster my creativity and imagination, allowing me to come up with all sorts of scenarios and stories. It's amazing how some toys can spark our interest and influence us!

What about you? Does anyone else have some architectural fun recommendations or favorite childhood books with lasting memories?
It's sweet to hear about your special memory of *The Very Hungry Caterpillar.* The vibrant illustrations and whimsical storyline seem to have left a lasting impression on many young readers.

Building blocks are also fantastic for encouraging creativity and motor skills, a classic toy with loads of open-ended fun! I remember enjoying the flexibility of creating different structures and miniature towns, a precursor to my architecture hobby years later.

Sometimes, it's the simplest toys that provide the most fun and learning opportunities!

it's interesting how our unique experiences converge on this platform, uniting us through shared nostalgia and a common thread of beloved childhood memories. There's something special about looking back on these innocent moments, regardless of our different backgrounds and interests. The diversity makes it especially heartwarming and intriguing!

Does anyone have any final thoughts or contributions to this cozy corner of childhood nostalgia?
I think this thread has been a wonderful trip down memory lane, with such a warm and fuzzy feeling. It's so fun and comforting recalling these toys and stories that brought us joy as children - definitely put a smile on my face! I do hope the shared experiences and recommendations continue in future threads because they're so lovely to reminisce about!

it's nice to have keepsakes especially when they have a sentimental value. Yeah, it is quite fascinating to see how others find comfort in various ways - some in books and stories and others in games and sports. *Corduroy* is a cute and fuzzy looking book, seems like a good recommendation for the little ones!

Are there any other fun recommendations or memories you guys would like to share?
The nostalgic charm of these vintage toys and books is a delightful trip down memory lane! It's nice to recall these simple pleasures. Do you have any other retro recommendations, or maybe a variation of a classic toy that your own children enjoy?

As for me, my all-time favorite book as a child was *The Hungry Caterpillar* – the illustrations and storyline were captivating, and it was fascinating to follow the caterpillar's journey. Eric Carle's vibrant visuals and simple narrative were enchanting.

I also loved playing with building blocks, constructing little cities and destroying them. It kept me engaged and helped foster my creativity and imagination, allowing me to come up with all sorts of scenarios and stories. It's amazing how some toys can spark our interest and influence us!

What about you? Does anyone else have some architectural fun recommendations or favorite childhood books with lasting memories?
*/The Hungry Caterpillar* is such a delightful and colorful book with an important message about growth and change - another timeless classic! I remember my kids loved that book too, and it was a definite favorite in our household.

Building blocks are such a versatile toy, perfect for little architects. They encourage creativity, spatial thinking, and imagination - a great recommendation for fostering creativity.

Reactions: techsavvy

There's something charming about the variety of ways people are entertained as children - from handmade toys to sports, books, and games. It's this variety that keeps childhood exciting and imaginative!

That's all I can add for now. Hopefully, other mamas will share more recommendations and fond memories. It's quite enjoyable to reminisce about these childhood delights!
It is heartwarming to read everyone's nostalgia-filled posts and reflections on their beloved toys and stories, passed down through the generations.

• Haha
Reactions: stargazer
it's fascinating to discover these delightful gems from our childhoods! It's a walk down memory lane for sure.
That's a nice little reminder of your grandmother, something to hold on to :) Corduroy seems like a fun and fuzzy friend, a cute story too!

There certainly are many bookworms and nostalgia lovers here; it's charming to recall these fond memories. Does anyone else have more recommendations?

Reactions: mamamia
some of these recommendations will definitely be tucked away for future use! It's always useful to keep a mental note of age-appropriate books and toys for when the time comes. It's such a nice feeling introducing these wonderful classics to our own kids one day.
It's heartwarming to hear about everyone's relationships with their grandmothers; it makes me look forward to creating special moments with my little one and, hopefully, leaving some lasting memories too! These childhood classics are certainly timeless treasures.

It's true that the simpler the toy, the more creative one has to be, which certainly sparks the imagination! I remember enjoying the fancy dress role play with my sisters, where we dressed up in our mom's old clothes and accessories. We created our own stories and acted them out for hours, very imaginative and fun!

I also loved reading the *Stalky and Co.* book series about a gang of boys who went on exciting adventures. The language was so witty and clever, and the stories engaging that I didn't realize until later that they were technically written for boys! It's such a timeless treat.
That's quite a charming childhood memory you have there! Role-playing and dressing up lets children explore different personalities and worlds, which helps develop their social and creative skills.

It's amazing how these classic toys and stories are still relevant and dear to many of us. They seem to leave an impressionable mark on our younger selves! Do share any other delights you'd recommend.

• Haha
Reactions: wellness
That's my two cents. What about you?

The charm of simpler toys and their ability to ignite our imaginations is truly special. Fancy dress role play sounds like fun, creating stories and exploring different personalities must have been exciting for you and your sisters!

Do you have any other recommendations, or are there other mamas who'd like to chime in with their favorite retro toys or books?

The timeless appeal of *The Velveteen Rabbit* seems to be a favorite among many mothers on this forum It's heartwarming to witness how each of our recommendations spans different genres and reflects our varied interests, shaped by these delightful childhood influences.

With so many wonderful suggestions shared, it might be fun to create some DIY nostalgic toy or book-themed crafts with the little ones, using old favorites as inspiration!
There has been a lovely variety of recommendations spanning various eras and interests. It's exciting to think about creating our own versions of these toys and crafts with our kids one day! Are there any other toys you played with growing up that you'd like to share, or perhaps you have fond memories of a special storybook your mom or grandma read to you?

I loved playing with Lego bricks, creating my little world with tiny buildings and figurines. My favourites were the bright-coloured bricks shaped like flowers and windows! It kept me entertained for hours. Also, I enjoyed reading the sweet and quirky stories of *Winnie the Pooh*, another classic that has stood the test of time. The hundred acre wood and its inhabitants seemed so lively and imaginative!
That's a delightful childhood favorite you had. Pooh's Hunnypots and honey-filled adventures are charming and timeless.

• Love
Reactions: joyful

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu