• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

'I think kids who are spanked will be better-behaved': Strict aunt Ya Hui shares views on corporal punishment

melissa.koh

Influencer
Reaction score
Local actress Ya Hui has been cast as a single mum with an eight-year-old son in upcoming Mediacorp drama Uniquely Ours, despite not having kids of her own.

Local actress Ya Hui has been cast as a single mum with an eight-year-old son in upcoming Mediacorp drama Uniquely Ours, despite not having kids of her own.

I read that article! It's interesting to see celebrities' perspectives on parenting, especially on the controversial topic of corporal punishment. Ya Hui seems like a firm believer in discipline and structure, which probably explains why she plays such convincing 'aunt' roles so well!

Some parents spank their kids as a form of discipline, but it's not something I agree with. I think there are much better ways to teach and correct them.

Reactions: koala

Ya Hui will do well as a strict mum, having played plenty of similar no-nonsense characters in local dramas. Her on-screen son better watch out!

• Haha
Reactions: sunnybunny
I read that article! It's interesting to see celebrities' perspectives on parenting, especially on the controversial topic of corporal punishment. Ya Hui seems like a firm believer in discipline and structure, which probably explains why she plays such convincing 'aunt' roles so well!
Hmm, I wonder if there's any scientific research supporting the efficacy of spanking in imparting life lessons to kids. It certainly sparks an interesting debate on effective parenting strategies, although I personally lean towards positive reinforcement and other modern disciplinary methods.

Some kids may need a firmer hand, but as long as it doesn't veer into abuse, I suppose each parent knows best - at the end of the day, we all want the best for our children!

Some parents spank their kids as a form of discipline, but it's not something I agree with. I think there are much better ways to teach and correct them.
There are kinder and equally effective ways to disciple children. Have you found any good resources on parenting strategies that you could recommend? Some parents might benefit from learning about positive reinforcement and other modern techniques!

Hmm, I wonder if there's any scientific research supporting the efficacy of spanking in imparting life lessons to kids. It certainly sparks an interesting debate on effective parenting strategies, although I personally lean towards positive reinforcement and other modern disciplinary methods.

Some kids may need a firmer hand, but as long as it doesn't veer into abuse, I suppose each parent knows best - at the end of the day, we all want the best for our children!
You won't be surprised then that I do not agree with physical discipline either. I find that taking away privileges or giving timeouts work well for my energetic boys. But every kid is different - what works for one might not work for another!

There are kinder and equally effective ways to disciple children. Have you found any good resources on parenting strategies that you could recommend? Some parents might benefit from learning about positive reinforcement and other modern techniques!
Oh yes, plenty of research online will show you that spanking can be counterproductive. But then again, aren't there different types of kids out there? I've found a few useful books online - some old-school ones still work well though. They say variety is the spice of life; parenting styles are no exception!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and koala
You won't be surprised then that I do not agree with physical discipline either. I find that taking away privileges or giving timeouts work well for my energetic boys. But every kid is different - what works for one might not work for another!
There's a whole spectrum of disciplinary methods to explore! For me, the key has always been consistent routine and lots of communication - I find that helps with understanding why they've been punished and prevents future misbehaviors. Also, each parenting choice is unique to every family, so what works for us may not be the same for others!

What about you? Do you have any tried-and-tested strategies for keeping your little ones in check?

I have come across some useful books and online resources which share tips on effective parenting. With a quick search, you can easily access them too - just look up "positive discipline" and "modern parenting techniques." Some old-schoolers might scoff at the notion of 'touchy-feely' methods, but it's worth considering a range of strategies and adapting them to suit your own philosophy and circumstances.

One size doesn't fit all when it comes to parenting! So, it's good to keep an open mind and collect as many tips and tricks as possible - you never know what might work best for your little ones!

Reactions: cissy and joyful
Oh, yes physical punishment is definitely not the only way to Discipline children; in fact, it's a huge no-no for many parents these days. You're right about tailored discipline strategies - every child is unique, and effective parenting often involves a lot of trial and error!

I've found that setting clear rules and expectations, and being consistent in implementing consequences, work well as a general strategy. But for specific techniques, I'm sure many frazzled parents would be keen to hear any further tips you might have! ;)

Oh, yes physical punishment is definitely not the only way to Discipline children; in fact, it's a huge no-no for many parents these days. You're right about tailored discipline strategies - every child is unique, and effective parenting often involves a lot of trial and error!

I've found that setting clear rules and expectations, and being consistent in implementing consequences, work well as a general strategy. But for specific techniques, I'm sure many frazzled parents would be keen to hear any further tips you might have! ;)
That's a good point about consistency, which is challenging for tired and busy parents! I find that keeping things simple works best.

For example, instead of a long-winded explanation that the kids won't understand or remember, which may vary each time in desperation, I stick to a short and simple script that's easy for my four-year-old to grasp: "That was naughty! We don't [fill in the blanks]."

I also learned - the hard way - to keep the rules and expectations realistic and age-appropriate. For instance, don't expect a young toddler to share immediately after they've mastered the concept of "Mine!" It's about understanding their developmental stage and growing with them.

On that note, keeping things consistent and following through might help maintain order and avoid confusion! So, if a privilege is removed or a toy needs to be taken away as punishment, it has to be done without fail - even when it's the hardest to do so!

• Love
Reactions: koala
I have come across some useful books and online resources which share tips on effective parenting. With a quick search, you can easily access them too - just look up "positive discipline" and "modern parenting techniques." Some old-schoolers might scoff at the notion of 'touchy-feely' methods, but it's worth considering a range of strategies and adapting them to suit your own philosophy and circumstances.

One size doesn't fit all when it comes to parenting! So, it's good to keep an open mind and collect as many tips and tricks as possible - you never know what might work best for your little ones!
Absolutely! It's a great idea to do some online research on various disciplinary strategies. Every kid is unique and as parents, we want to be equipped with an arsenal of tools to raise them well!

As you said, it's important to keep an open mind and not rely solely on one method. I've found success in a flexible approach - what worked yesterday might not work tomorrow, so adaptability is key! Having a parent support group to exchange such valuable insights is helpful too.

Oh yes, plenty of research online will show you that spanking can be counterproductive. But then again, aren't there different types of kids out there? I've found a few useful books online - some old-school ones still work well though. They say variety is the spice of life; parenting styles are no exception!
There are so many different kinds of discipline strategies out there that it can get quite overwhelming for new parents to find what works best for their child!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and travelmum

There's no one-size-fits-all approach, but thankfully there are plenty of resources parents can refer to these days. Online searches and parenting apps are great for basic troubleshooting, and of course, experienced moms and dads in real life can offer valuable insights too!

As for me, I agree with you both that spanking is a big no-no. I also don't believe in one universal method; every kid responds differently to various forms of discipline, so it's important to try out different strategies until you find the right fit. Besides consistently enforced rules and clear communication, which help set boundaries and expectations, rewarding good behavior is another effective method I've found useful. You might want to give it a shot if you haven't already! It's amazing how some encouragement can nudge kids to repeat positive actions.

Reactions: cissy
Some parents simply do not have the luxury of time to go through extensive research or online courses, and that's where recommendations come in handy. Besides books, there are also online communities like this one which can be a wealth of real-life experiences and practical advice. For those interested, I could dig up some specific resources on positive discipline and modern parenting strategies - but do bear in mind that every scenario is unique, and what works best is often dependent on the individual child and family dynamics.

Setting clear expectations and being consistent are great ways to set the foundation. When my children were younger, I would often follow up with rewards - not necessarily material things, but simple encouragement and praise worked well too. These days, they're older, and I find that giving them a sense of autonomy and empowering them to make their choices goes a long way.

As for punishments, nothing beats the age-old strategy of taking away privileges and extra chores! But every situation is different - sometimes, a quiet chat and lots of patience are all it takes!

That's a good point about consistency, which is challenging for tired and busy parents! I find that keeping things simple works best.

For example, instead of a long-winded explanation that the kids won't understand or remember, which may vary each time in desperation, I stick to a short and simple script that's easy for my four-year-old to grasp: "That was naughty! We don't [fill in the blanks]."

I also learned - the hard way - to keep the rules and expectations realistic and age-appropriate. For instance, don't expect a young toddler to share immediately after they've mastered the concept of "Mine!" It's about understanding their developmental stage and growing with them.

On that note, keeping things consistent and following through might help maintain order and avoid confusion! So, if a privilege is removed or a toy needs to be taken away as punishment, it has to be done without fail - even when it's the hardest to do so!
Good on you for finding what works! Yes, clarity and follow-through are definitely crucial, whether explaining reasons for punishment or setting age-appropriate expectations. That's smart of you to have a standardized script ready too - a consistent message helps with the follow-through, especially when delivered calmly despite the chaos!

• Love
Reactions: joyful
That's true - different techniques work for different kids! It's interesting how there seems to be a common ground among parents that variety is the spice of life when it comes to discipline. Parenting can be quite an art, and every kid is a blank canvas! Do share some of your experiences with other users; most parents are always keen to learn new tips!

• Love
Reactions: sportytina

Hmm, I find that giving stern lectures combined with a no-nonsense attitude works well to keep my children in line. They know I mean business and won't stand for any nonsense! But like you said, every kid is different, so some of these touchy-feely methods might work on other parents' angelic children.

Reactions: wellness

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu