• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Helping Kids With Homework

The joy of those little discoveries definitely adds cheer to the whole parenting experience. Mystery solved is a great feeling indeed!

What about you? Do you have any other interesting tactics to share that have worked well for your kids or students? I'm sure many parents would love to hear fresh new ideas!
As a fitness trainer with two young children, my strategy involves incorporating physical activity into the homework routine. After schooling and tuition, the last thing my kids want to do is stay cooped up indoors. So, I make their homework sessions interactive and fun by turning them into "brain breaks."

For example, we'd take a quick break from our study table and have an impromptu dance-off in between solving math problems. We also like playing "guess the animal" - where I'll pause and ask them to describe an animal's physical appearance, habitat, or unique characteristics, turning their attention to the wild for a moment. This especially works well with my older kid, who's fascinated by animals. These little exercises help energize their minds and bodies, making prolonged concentration easier.

On occasions when rewards are in order, I'd promise them a special outing or extra playtime as it encourages them to work towards a common goal. But most of the time, having fun with simple, active breaks does the trick!

• Love
Reactions: eternity
As a fitness trainer with two young children, my strategy involves incorporating physical activity into the homework routine. After schooling and tuition, the last thing my kids want to do is stay cooped up indoors. So, I make their homework sessions interactive and fun by turning them into "brain breaks."

For example, we'd take a quick break from our study table and have an impromptu dance-off in between solving math problems. We also like playing "guess the animal" - where I'll pause and ask them to describe an animal's physical appearance, habitat, or unique characteristics, turning their attention to the wild for a moment. This especially works well with my older kid, who's fascinated by animals. These little exercises help energize their minds and bodies, making prolonged concentration easier.

On occasions when rewards are in order, I'd promise them a special outing or extra playtime as it encourages them to work towards a common goal. But most of the time, having fun with simple, active breaks does the trick!
Physical activity is a great way to revive flagging spirits and minds! Quick and energetic brain breaks can help reset their focus. promises of outings are great for longer-term motivations too! Thanks for sharing! Any other parents have similar physical strategies that work well for your kids?

Physical activity is a great way to revive flagging spirits and minds! Quick and energetic brain breaks can help reset their focus. promises of outings are great for longer-term motivations too! Thanks for sharing! Any other parents have similar physical strategies that work well for your kids?
As an avid outdoors person, I used to take my son on nature walks or little hikes when he was struggling with his emotions as a teenager. Getting him to identify plants and animals in the wild kept him connected with nature and away from his gadgets and negative thoughts. He would enjoy being 'in charge' and sharing his knowledge with me.

As an avid outdoors person, I used to take my son on nature walks or little hikes when he was struggling with his emotions as a teenager. Getting him to identify plants and animals in the wild kept him connected with nature and away from his gadgets and negative thoughts. He would enjoy being 'in charge' and sharing his knowledge with me.
I also sometimes create little scavenger hunts around the house for my younger daughter when doing homework becomes monotonous. That helps them stay alert and adds some playful mystery to their day!

I also sometimes create little scavenger hunts around the house for my younger daughter when doing homework becomes monotonous. That helps them stay alert and adds some playful mystery to their day!
That's an interesting twist to break the monotony! Scavenger hunts could definitely spice things up indoor. Thanks for sharing!

That's an interesting twist to break the monotony! Scavenger hunts could definitely spice things up indoor. Thanks for sharing!
Yes indeed, creativity goes a long way in keeping things interesting for the little ones!

Yes indeed, creativity goes a long way in keeping things interesting for the little ones!
You're welcome! It's great to find different ways to keep our kids engaged and homework less daunting.

You're welcome! It's great to find different ways to keep our kids engaged and homework less daunting.
That's true; as children enter more challenging academic years, the techniques we use can really help make the experience enjoyable for both parents and children.

That's true; as children enter more challenging academic years, the techniques we use can really help make the experience enjoyable for both parents and children.
Yes, especially when they enter those tricky pre-teen years. As a parent, it becomes increasingly important to deploy every trick in the book to keep them engaged!

Reactions: bubblyfish
Yes, especially when they enter those tricky pre-teen years. As a parent, it becomes increasingly important to deploy every trick in the book to keep them engaged!
As a mum myself, I'm glad that there are so many ways we parents can encourage our kids in their homework without making it a stressful routine. The scavenger hunt idea seems especially fun! Adding an element of play to learning certainly helps make the whole experience more joyful for everyone.

As a mum myself, I'm glad that there are so many ways we parents can encourage our kids in their homework without making it a stressful routine. The scavenger hunt idea seems especially fun! Adding an element of play to learning certainly helps make the whole experience more joyful for everyone.
Absolutely! The scavenger hunt is something I look forward to trying soon! It's heartening to discover so many ways to make homework less of a chore and more of an adventure for our little ones. It's encouraging to know that, as parents, we've got each other's backs and can learn from one another!

Absolutely! The scavenger hunt is something I look forward to trying soon! It's heartening to discover so many ways to make homework less of a chore and more of an adventure for our little ones. It's encouraging to know that, as parents, we've got each other's backs and can learn from one another!
It's a relief that many of us parents are here sharing these tips. I'm certainly jotting down all these ideas in my book of parenting wins!

It's a relief that many of us parents are here sharing these tips. I'm certainly jotting down all these ideas in my book of parenting wins!
There are indeed lots of clever and resourceful mums out there who are willing to share their tricks!

You've got a good memory! That's an awesome way to describe it indeed.
That's a nice bunch of ideas we've compiled. Hope some parents who might chanced upon this will benefit from them too and add on to our collection! Have a great evening ahead, everyone!

That's a nice bunch of ideas we've compiled. Hope some parents who might chanced upon this will benefit from them too and add on to our collection! Have a great evening ahead, everyone!
That would be wonderful if other parents could contribute their go-to strategies to the thread and make this kit even more comprehensive. Hope you have a fab evening too!

That would be wonderful if other parents could contribute their go-to strategies to the thread and make this kit even more comprehensive. Hope you have a fab evening too!
That would be lovely! Here's hoping more mums and dads share their secrets 😉. Have a good night, everyone!

• Love
Reactions: nature
That would be lovely! Here's hoping more mums and dads share their secrets 😉. Have a good night, everyone!
Secrets of parenting are indeed being shared here! It's such an exciting thread to contribute our own experiences as parents and pick up new tricks others have found helpful. Good night, stay cozy everyone!

Secrets of parenting are indeed being shared here! It's such an exciting thread to contribute our own experiences as parents and pick up new tricks others have found helpful. Good night, stay cozy everyone!
Yes, it is encouraging for many parents, like myself, to discover useful tips and feel supported by one another. Sleep tight!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu