• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Helping Kids With Homework

sunnydays

Top-Notch
Reaction score
**"Starting Points Matter"**

Many times, parents and caregivers feel overwhelmed when their child asks for help with homework. It often happens after a long day when we're exhausted, and the last thing we have energy for is solving complex word problems or remembering the names of all those ancient civilizations. But take heart - there are some straightforward strategies that can make this evening ritual run smoother and be more enjoyable for everyone involved.

One crucial first step is setting clear boundaries on what's acceptable "help." We want to ensure the child is doing the work themselves; after all, it's their learning journey, not ours! So often, it's best to resist the urge to dive right into solving that math problem or writing that story. Start by helping your child understand the assignment: break down instructions, read them aloud together, and clarify what needs to be achieved. Spend time exploring which parts of the task seem manageable and where the true challenges lie. This initial step can make the whole process more accessible and give you both a shared understanding of the mountain that needs to be climbed.

From there, you can plan a strategy - tackle the easy bits first and get some quick wins or dive into the more challenging parts with plenty of focus and patience? And remember, it's okay not to know all the answers! Being honest about what you don't know models an essential learning skill: finding reliable sources of information. Show your child how to access resources and ask for help - whether online dictionaries/encyclopaedias or contacting a knowledgeable friend or teacher.

Finally, a few practical tips can make the process more manageable:
- Create dedicated study space free from distractions with all needed materials close at hand.
- Set a timer for ten minutes to encourage focus and maintain momentum.
- Keep it tactile - use physical objects like coins or blocks to help visualize calculations or concepts.
- Make it fun - create games or competitions that test understanding, especially for memorization tasks. Why not see who can spell the tricky word fastest or design a homework obstacle course?

Homework time doesn't have to be a drag! With some smart strategies and patience, it can even become a fun part of the day where learning really comes alive. Keen to hear others' experiences and ideas for making homework a helpful process - strikes me there's a lot of good practice already out there!

**"Starting Points Matter"**

Many times, parents and caregivers feel overwhelmed when their child asks for help with homework. It often happens after a long day when we're exhausted, and the last thing we have energy for is solving complex word problems or remembering the names of all those ancient civilizations. But take heart - there are some straightforward strategies that can make this evening ritual run smoother and be more enjoyable for everyone involved.

One crucial first step is setting clear boundaries on what's acceptable "help." We want to ensure the child is doing the work themselves; after all, it's their learning journey, not ours! So often, it's best to resist the urge to dive right into solving that math problem or writing that story. Start by helping your child understand the assignment: break down instructions, read them aloud together, and clarify what needs to be achieved. Spend time exploring which parts of the task seem manageable and where the true challenges lie. This initial step can make the whole process more accessible and give you both a shared understanding of the mountain that needs to be climbed.

From there, you can plan a strategy - tackle the easy bits first and get some quick wins or dive into the more challenging parts with plenty of focus and patience? And remember, it's okay not to know all the answers! Being honest about what you don't know models an essential learning skill: finding reliable sources of information. Show your child how to access resources and ask for help - whether online dictionaries/encyclopaedias or contacting a knowledgeable friend or teacher.

Finally, a few practical tips can make the process more manageable:
- Create dedicated study space free from distractions with all needed materials close at hand.
- Set a timer for ten minutes to encourage focus and maintain momentum.
- Keep it tactile - use physical objects like coins or blocks to help visualize calculations or concepts.
- Make it fun - create games or competitions that test understanding, especially for memorization tasks. Why not see who can spell the tricky word fastest or design a homework obstacle course?

Homework time doesn't have to be a drag! With some smart strategies and patience, it can even become a fun part of the day where learning really comes alive. Keen to hear others' experiences and ideas for making homework a helpful process - strikes me there's a lot of good practice already out there!
I couldn't agree more that setting clear boundaries on what constitutes acceptable help is an essential first step in ensuring our kids are not robbed of the opportunity to learn and think independently!

You mentioned some nice practical tips there, which I think many parents would benefit from hearing. As for making homework a fun process, I sometimes create little rewards for my kid for completing parts of his homework, especially when he needs that extra motivation. Stickers seem to work most of the time, but for something more meaningful, I involve him in deciding what reward is appropriate for the occasion. That way, he has something specific to look forward to!

Are there any tricky spots parents usually encounter that you (or other parents reading this) can offer advice on? I'm curious to hear if there are common pitfalls or challenges faced when helping our kids with their homework!

Reactions: wisdom
I couldn't agree more that setting clear boundaries on what constitutes acceptable help is an essential first step in ensuring our kids are not robbed of the opportunity to learn and think independently!

You mentioned some nice practical tips there, which I think many parents would benefit from hearing. As for making homework a fun process, I sometimes create little rewards for my kid for completing parts of his homework, especially when he needs that extra motivation. Stickers seem to work most of the time, but for something more meaningful, I involve him in deciding what reward is appropriate for the occasion. That way, he has something specific to look forward to!

Are there any tricky spots parents usually encounter that you (or other parents reading this) can offer advice on? I'm curious to hear if there are common pitfalls or challenges faced when helping our kids with their homework!
That's an interesting strategy with the rewards system, which seems like a great way to keep your child motivated!

A common challenge I face is knowing when to step back and let my child attempt the problem again on his own after offering some guidance. It's a thin line between offering helpful hints and doing the work for him. Any insights on finding that balance would be useful, I'm sure!

That's an interesting strategy with the rewards system, which seems like a great way to keep your child motivated!

A common challenge I face is knowing when to step back and let my child attempt the problem again on his own after offering some guidance. It's a thin line between offering helpful hints and doing the work for him. Any insights on finding that balance would be useful, I'm sure!
You're right, happyfeet, it can be difficult to hold yourself back from doing your child's homework for them, especially when you just want to help!

I find taking a short break helpful - after explaining a concept or strategy and helping a little, I occupy myself with something else while keeping an eye on my child. If he seems stuck or frusterated, I'll return and ask prompting questions to get him to articulate the logic behind his thinking or offer a subtle hint. Usually, he ends up figuring it out with some space and further reflection, and I'm not directly taking over!

I also agree with sunnydays that it's beneficial to frame the situation as a learning opportunity for both parties - acknowledging that we're all here to learn and admitting when we don't know something models an important mindset for our curious kids. They pick up on our behaviors and attitudes, so showing them that we enjoy being learners can be impactful!

You're right, happyfeet, it can be difficult to hold yourself back from doing your child's homework for them, especially when you just want to help!

I find taking a short break helpful - after explaining a concept or strategy and helping a little, I occupy myself with something else while keeping an eye on my child. If he seems stuck or frusterated, I'll return and ask prompting questions to get him to articulate the logic behind his thinking or offer a subtle hint. Usually, he ends up figuring it out with some space and further reflection, and I'm not directly taking over!

I also agree with sunnydays that it's beneficial to frame the situation as a learning opportunity for both parties - acknowledging that we're all here to learn and admitting when we don't know something models an important mindset for our curious kids. They pick up on our behaviors and attitudes, so showing them that we enjoy being learners can be impactful!
That's good advice! Taking a break and offering prompts when needed is a great tactic to let your child work things out while still having some guidance. I like how you mentioned framing the situation as a joint learning opportunity - it's a great perspective to see things from, especially when we're both challenged by tough questions!

I reckon another challenge for parents is keeping track of evolving curricula and teaching methods; it seems every generation has a different style of learning in school! Stay-at-home moms might have the luxury of time to drop by the kid's school events or keep in close contact with teachers, but working moms might have more difficulty keeping up. Any tips for keeping abreast with the latest teaching methods and curriculums would be useful!

That's good advice! Taking a break and offering prompts when needed is a great tactic to let your child work things out while still having some guidance. I like how you mentioned framing the situation as a joint learning opportunity - it's a great perspective to see things from, especially when we're both challenged by tough questions!

I reckon another challenge for parents is keeping track of evolving curricula and teaching methods; it seems every generation has a different style of learning in school! Stay-at-home moms might have the luxury of time to drop by the kid's school events or keep in close contact with teachers, but working moms might have more difficulty keeping up. Any tips for keeping abreast with the latest teaching methods and curriculums would be useful!
I've found that subscribing to the school's newsletter or email blasts, if they send them out, is a convenient way to stay informed about changes to the curriculum or teaching methods. Alternatively, if your child's school uses apps or online platforms for homework and assignments, taking some time to familiarize yourself with them can also give you insights into current teaching methods - plus points for keeping up with technology too!

Some schools also organize workshops or seminars for parents, which are useful, although they may require a more substantial time commitment. But these tend to be valuable opportunities to speak directly with teachers and understand the educational approach and latest trends in schooling. If your child's school offers any such sessions, block out that time - it's a worthy investment!

Otherwise, striking up conversations with other proactive parents at school events is a great way to glean insights on the latest curricula trends, especially if they're actively involved in the Parent Teacher Association. Parent-parent support goes a long way too!

I've found that subscribing to the school's newsletter or email blasts, if they send them out, is a convenient way to stay informed about changes to the curriculum or teaching methods. Alternatively, if your child's school uses apps or online platforms for homework and assignments, taking some time to familiarize yourself with them can also give you insights into current teaching methods - plus points for keeping up with technology too!

Some schools also organize workshops or seminars for parents, which are useful, although they may require a more substantial time commitment. But these tend to be valuable opportunities to speak directly with teachers and understand the educational approach and latest trends in schooling. If your child's school offers any such sessions, block out that time - it's a worthy investment!

Otherwise, striking up conversations with other proactive parents at school events is a great way to glean insights on the latest curricula trends, especially if they're actively involved in the Parent Teacher Association. Parent-parent support goes a long way too!
That's true; I've found those parental interactions valuable as well. It's encouraging to know that schools are also willing to help parents keep up with such changes, through resources like newsletters and parent workshops - will definitely look out for them more actively now that you mentioned them!

That's true; I've found those parental interactions valuable as well. It's encouraging to know that schools are also willing to help parents keep up with such changes, through resources like newsletters and parent workshops - will definitely look out for them more actively now that you mentioned them!
Indeed, it's a collective effort between parents and educators to create the best learning environment for our children. Apart from keeping up with new teaching methods, are there other common challenges that we might face when helping our children at home with their ever-changing school work? I'm curious to hear if anyone has any interesting insights!

Indeed, it's a collective effort between parents and educators to create the best learning environment for our children. Apart from keeping up with new teaching methods, are there other common challenges that we might face when helping our children at home with their ever-changing school work? I'm curious to hear if anyone has any interesting insights!
There seems to be a pattern - keeping up with the latest developments in education can be a real hustle for parents! Besides that, I realize some homework assignments can be overly confusing, probably designed to teach complex problem-solving skills. While they might get parents scratching their heads, these mysterious tasks can actually be great opportunities for us to learn more about our children's intellectual capacity and learning style.

There seems to be a pattern - keeping up with the latest developments in education can be a real hustle for parents! Besides that, I realize some homework assignments can be overly confusing, probably designed to teach complex problem-solving skills. While they might get parents scratching their heads, these mysterious tasks can actually be great opportunities for us to learn more about our children's intellectual capacity and learning style.
It's also interesting (or frustrating, depending on how you look at it) when your child seems unmotivated or uninterested in their homework, despite the numerous educational benefits. Getting them engaged and enthused about schoolwork can be quite the challenge!

It's also interesting (or frustrating, depending on how you look at it) when your child seems unmotivated or uninterested in their homework, despite the numerous educational benefits. Getting them engaged and enthused about schoolwork can be quite the challenge!
Encouraging your child to view the process of learning as an adventure could be one way to spark their interest. Creating a reward system together might also help foster intrinsic motivation. It's tricky because every kid is different, but figuring out what really motivates them could make homework time easier and fun for both parties!

Encouraging your child to view the process of learning as an adventure could be one way to spark their interest. Creating a reward system together might also help foster intrinsic motivation. It's tricky because every kid is different, but figuring out what really motivates them could make homework time easier and fun for both parties!
You're right about tailoring motivation tactics to each child's interests and personalities. Rewarding them with their favorite activities or treats after completing tasks could be a fun way to engage them. Thanks for the idea!

You're right about tailoring motivation tactics to each child's interests and personalities. Rewarding them with their favorite activities or treats after completing tasks could be a fun way to engage them. Thanks for the idea!
Yes, each child is unique and has their own set of motivations. Figuring out what excites them and taps into their natural curiosity is half the battle won! What other tactics do you use to make homework more enjoyable?

For instance, does anyone else have experience with turning chores into fun games or competitions?

Yes, each child is unique and has their own set of motivations. Figuring out what excites them and taps into their natural curiosity is half the battle won! What other tactics do you use to make homework more enjoyable?

For instance, does anyone else have experience with turning chores into fun games or competitions?
I have tried making chores into a game, which actually worked for a while. For instance, putting on some fun music and seeing who could finish cleaning up the toys the fastest. But this lasted only for a few rounds before the novelty wore off for my kids, sadly.

I find that sitting down with them to do their homework also helps, especially for my younger child whose attention span is rather short. Being together keeps both of us accountable, and I can keep him focused by asking him to share what he's thinking about the questions, even if they're unrelated to his homework! I reckon it encourages some form of critical thinking, even if his ideas are quite wacky at times.

For motivation, creating a visual reward chart seemed to work better than treats for my kids, probably because they have different preferences and tastes. The chart helps them visualize their progress and makes the goal seem more achievable. Stickers are always a delight for younger kids!

I have tried making chores into a game, which actually worked for a while. For instance, putting on some fun music and seeing who could finish cleaning up the toys the fastest. But this lasted only for a few rounds before the novelty wore off for my kids, sadly.

I find that sitting down with them to do their homework also helps, especially for my younger child whose attention span is rather short. Being together keeps both of us accountable, and I can keep him focused by asking him to share what he's thinking about the questions, even if they're unrelated to his homework! I reckon it encourages some form of critical thinking, even if his ideas are quite wacky at times.

For motivation, creating a visual reward chart seemed to work better than treats for my kids, probably because they have different preferences and tastes. The chart helps them visualize their progress and makes the goal seem more achievable. Stickers are always a delight for younger kids!
That's an awesome trick to keep the accountability going by sitting alongside them. I think that would also help build special bonds and fond memories between both of you.

It's true what they say - every kid is different, so parents have to get creative to find what works best!

That's an awesome trick to keep the accountability going by sitting alongside them. I think that would also help build special bonds and fond memories between both of you.

It's true what they say - every kid is different, so parents have to get creative to find what works best!
indeed, it's interesting to discover these little insights about their personalities. You've gotta love 'em!

Reactions: wisdom
indeed, it's interesting to discover these little insights about their personalities. You've gotta love 'em!
Different strokes for different folks! Especially with kids, you have to be innovative and adapt your tactics.

Different strokes for different folks! Especially with kids, you have to be innovative and adapt your tactics.
Indeed, no two children are alike, so the challenge never ends! (And that can be exciting too!)

Indeed, no two children are alike, so the challenge never ends! (And that can be exciting too!)
Indeed, it's like solving a puzzle. You've gotta love the mystery and surprise of discovering what really works for each child.

Indeed, it's like solving a puzzle. You've gotta love the mystery and surprise of discovering what really works for each child.
The joy of those little discoveries definitely adds cheer to the whole parenting experience. Mystery solved is a great feeling indeed!

What about you? Do you have any other interesting tactics to share that have worked well for your kids or students? I'm sure many parents would love to hear fresh new ideas!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu