• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Feeding Tribulations

Exclusive pumping is a huge commitment and a challenge, so kudos to you, Samantha, for keeping at it despite the difficulties! It's great that you found solutions and adaptations that worked for you.

I agree that seeking support and sharing stories with other parents helps; we certainly aren't alone in our struggles, and it's reassuring to know other parents have been through similar trials. I'm curious to know what your go-to lactation cookie recipe was, and how you tailored it to your dietary preferences! Always on the lookout for new recipes!
I added extra flaxseed and oats to the dough for a double whammy of galactagogues. Also, I'm lactose intolerant, so I substituted dairy milk with soy or almond milk and used vegan margarine instead. The cookies turned out chewy and delicious, and the chocolate chips gave them an indulgent touch that made pumping seem like less of a chore. Can't give up the pump, but might as well make it enjoyable!

Understanding that you're not alone in your struggles is reassuring. It's encouraging to hear how you found solutions that worked for you. I second the importance of seeking support from others - we moms got to stick together! There's so much power in shared experiences.
It's a great comfort to know that we are not alone and other parents have weathered similar storms. Parents often share insights that make all the difference. It's heartening to see fellow moms supporting one another; keeping traditions alive by sharing tried-and-tested parenting tips!

Understanding that you're not alone in your struggles is reassuring. It's encouraging to hear how you found solutions that worked for you. I second the importance of seeking support from others - we moms got to stick together! There's so much power in shared experiences.
it's a blessing when we can learn from one another and discover what works best for our little ones collectively! Support goes a long way, especially for new mothers facing various challenges. Shared experiences help us realize that we're not isolated in our problems, and often, solutions are right around the corner.

it's a great comfort to know that others have gone through similar trials and triumphs related to breastfeeding or feeding their young ones. We all have different stories, struggles, and insights - sharing them can really help someone else in a similar situation! It's a joy to connect over these experiences. Have you discovered any other creative solutions or clever tips like the lactation cookies that worked for you? Those struggling may find your ingenuity useful!

It's reassuring when we realize we are not alone and other mums have been through similar struggles. Parenting can be quite isolating sometimes, so it's nice to connect and bond over these shared experiences.

Hearing about your struggles with feeding issues and how you overcame them is encouraging. It's reassuring to know that resilience pays off and there's light at the end of the tunnel.
It's a crazy journey with many obstacles, but we moms are resilient! glad my experience can offer some encouragement. Here's to hoping all our little ones grow up strong and healthy!

Hearing about your struggles with feeding issues and how you overcame them is encouraging. It's reassuring to know that resilience pays off and there's light at the end of the tunnel.
It's a comforting thought to know that difficulties can be overcome, and there's hope for a better situation. Parents overcoming struggles gives hope to those currently going through difficult phases!

That's great to know what worked for you - the lactation cookies and your dietary adjustments. It's good to have a supportive group of moms for shared learning; this journey is a challenging one!
having a network of experienced parents to learn from is a real blessing. You never know what helpful tips you might uncover!

That's great to know what worked for you - the lactation cookies and your dietary adjustments. It's good to have a supportive group of moms for shared learning; this journey is a challenging one!
Yeah, I'm glad I found some tricks that made the whole breastfeeding experience better. Having a solid support group really makes a world of difference too. It's an overwhelming journey but we're not alone!

It sure is a challenging journey, and having a village - or in this case, a mom tribe - to rely on helps immensely. I'm glad we can offer each other insights!

Hearing other moms' experiences really does help and give us strength! Thanks for sharing @Samantha and @JaneDoe . I exclusively pumped for my firstborn too, so I feel you ladies! It's a tedious task, and the sleep deprivation that comes with it is a whole different challenge.

My tip would be to find ways to make pumping more efficient and hands-free because having your hands freed up makes a world of difference! I used a pumping bustier and pumped while doing other things like reading or catching up on my favourite shows. Also, using a nipple shield helped me to improve latch initially, before my baby got the hang of it.

And for those struggling with low milk supply, I found that power pumping sessions helped to boost and maintain my supply. It's a pain, but it works! Basically, you pump at longer intervals, around 10-12 minutes with breaks in between, to mimic a cluster feed.

Remember, every baby is different, so don't lose hope if something isn't working. Experiment, seek advice from lactation consultants, and remember there's nothing wrong with formula feeding if that's the route you take! All we want is a happy, fed bubba in the end :)
Yes, each baby really does come with their own unique set of challenges - so true! Hands-free pumping is a game-changer; I agree that it liberates you to get other things done. And thanks for sharing your tip on power pumping - it's encouraging to hear about methods to increase milk supply naturally. There's so much to learn and every bit helps!

Yes it's helpful to learn from one another and share our experiences as we go through this demanding yet rewarding motherhood journey! Happy to hear that you've found some solutions that worked for you!

Hearing other moms' experiences really does help and give us strength! Thanks for sharing @Samantha and @JaneDoe . I exclusively pumped for my firstborn too, so I feel you ladies! It's a tedious task, and the sleep deprivation that comes with it is a whole different challenge.

My tip would be to find ways to make pumping more efficient and hands-free because having your hands freed up makes a world of difference! I used a pumping bustier and pumped while doing other things like reading or catching up on my favourite shows. Also, using a nipple shield helped me to improve latch initially, before my baby got the hang of it.

And for those struggling with low milk supply, I found that power pumping sessions helped to boost and maintain my supply. It's a pain, but it works! Basically, you pump at longer intervals, around 10-12 minutes with breaks in between, to mimic a cluster feed.

Remember, every baby is different, so don't lose hope if something isn't working. Experiment, seek advice from lactation consultants, and remember there's nothing wrong with formula feeding if that's the route you take! All we want is a happy, fed bubba in the end :)
Finding hands-free pumping solutions and having efficient pumping tips are lifesavers! It's great how you found techniques that worked for you, and I agree that every baby is different. Seeking professional help from lactation consultants is a good move too. And yes, a happy and fed baby is the goal!

Finding hands-free pumping solutions definitely makes a difference. I didn't know about power pumping then; that sounds like intense but useful advice which I'll keep in mind. Different techniques work for different babies - it's encouraging to hear what worked for you!

It's comforting to find kindred spirits who've gone through similar struggles. I appreciate your tips on making pumping more efficient; hands-free pumping sounds like a game-changer. Power pumping sounds like an intense but necessary strategy for boosting supply - good to know it worked for you! You're spot on about every baby being different, and there's no one-size-fits-all solution.

Reactions: bookworm
Meeting other moms and hearing their stories really does help; it's encouraging to know that we aren't alone in our feeding challenges. I'm glad you found a solution that worked for you and your little one!

I also had issues with latching in the beginning, and it was frustrating not knowing why breastfeeding wasn't working as my baby seemed to have a good latch. It turned out she had a tongue-tie, which explained all the pain and ineffective feeding. Getting it snipped was a quick fix, and within days, breastfeeding became much easier.

It's amazing how many little things can affect our nursing journeys! I wonder if any parents have had to deal with dairy issues. My husband is lactose intolerant, so I always wondered if our daughter would have the same issue, but fortunately, she seems OK with my dairy intake.
My husband and older brother are also lactose intolerant, but thankfully it seems like our children can tolerate dairy products! It's definitely a relief when you realise that some issues have quick fixes; it gives us hope in the midst of all the challenges!

That's helpful to know about the pumping bustier - sounds like a real time-saver! I also hear you on the sleep deprivation - it's exhausting keeping up with a strict pumping schedule around the clock. Power pumping sounds like intense work, but I'm glad it gave you the results you needed. Different strokes for different folks - important to remember that what works for others may not work for us. Thanks for the thoughtful advice!

I agree that finding ways to make pumping more convenient makes a huge difference! Using hands-free devices and efficient pumping techniques allows us to juggle other responsibilities, which is especially crucial for multigeting mamas. I haven't heard of a bustier before - that sounds like a useful contraption! And yes, consulting lactation experts is a great idea too; their expertise can offer tailored advice when we're feeling lost.

Meeting other moms and hearing their stories really does help; it's encouraging to know that we aren't alone in our feeding challenges. I'm glad you found a solution that worked for you and your little one!

I also had issues with latching in the beginning, and it was frustrating not knowing why breastfeeding wasn't working as my baby seemed to have a good latch. It turned out she had a tongue-tie, which explained all the pain and ineffective feeding. Getting it snipped was a quick fix, and within days, breastfeeding became much easier.

It's amazing how many little things can affect our nursing journeys! I wonder if any parents have had to deal with dairy issues. My husband is lactose intolerant, so I always wondered if our daughter would have the same issue, but fortunately, she seems OK with my dairy intake.
Tongue-tie, huh? That explains a lot! It's lucky you got it figured out and sorted quickly.

My firstborn had some issues with acid reflux, which made it difficult to nurse. We saw a couple of doctors and changed our feeding approach a few times, finally finding the right formula to feed him. It's trial and error with these little ones!

Dairy issues are pretty common among infants, I hear. My cousin's baby would cry and cry after nursing, turns out mom had to cut dairy from her diet completely. Took them a while to realize that was the culprit. Luckily, these days there are so many alternative milk products available for coffee and cooking!

My little one had a mild case of dairy intolerance. It was such a relief when we figured it out because her colic-like symptoms cleared right up after cutting dairy from my diet. It's hard to tell with breastfed babies sometimes where the issue is, you know? So many variables!

I'd love to hear about more specific strategies that helped others with their breastfeeding journeys too. For me, using a nursing pillow made a world of difference - it took some pressure off and helped baby latch better. And of course, lots and lots of skin-to-skin! I found that having a nice routine helped as well; the white noise of the rocker or vacuum cleaner somehow soothed my little one and created a familiar environment.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu