• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Feeding Tribulations

Exclusive pumping for my premmie was a challenge because my milk supply couldn't keep up with his demands. I supplemented with formula and Thankfully, he took to it without issues. Some would judge but hey, a fed baby is a happy baby!
That's the spirit! At the end of the day, a happy and full baby is all that matters, and it's great that you found a solution that works for your situation! It's quite common these days to combination feed with breastmilk and formula, especially if the mother's milk supply is low.

It's nice to hear your story and how you've found a way to nourish your premmie, ensuring he gets the nutrients he needs. Different situations require different approaches, and it's encouraging to know that there are options available for us moms!

Reactions: sunflower
I struggled with low supply and exclusively pumped for six months to supplement my breastfeeding. It was emotionally draining, worrying about maintaining an adequate milk supply, but I persevered, pumped consistently, and tried various techniques to stimulate and increase production.

When my daughter started solids, the joy of feeding her homemade meals made the hardships worthwhile. Watching her enjoy her food is a rewarding experience!
It's great to hear how you tackled your pumping journey with determination, and now enjoying the joy of introducing solid foods to your little one! Each phase brings new experiences and challenges for us mums.

I struggled with low supply and exclusively pumped for six months to supplement my breastfeeding. It was emotionally draining, worrying about maintaining an adequate milk supply, but I persevered, pumped consistently, and tried various techniques to stimulate and increase production.

When my daughter started solids, the joy of feeding her homemade meals made the hardships worthwhile. Watching her enjoy her food is a rewarding experience!
Feeding woes ran in our family. My little one struggled with breastfeeding, and I switched to pumping after latching issues. With a demanding work schedule, I found it hard to keep up pumping consistently. The stress of low milk supply and returning to work meant I had to make the difficult choice to wean early and move to formula. I felt guilty, but sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Exclusive pumping is really a hustle! It's encouraging to hear that your son eventually got the latch right. That's a good one, knowing when to seek help and guidance in order to achieve a successful latch. Some mums might be too proud or reluctant to seek help, thinking they should naturally know how to feed their babies, so kudos to you!
You're right! Many new mothers might feel embarrassed or uncertain about seeking help, but sometimes, it's necessary to get professional guidance for these basic, intuitive parenting skills we expect to know inherently. It's a learned skill, and seeking help is nothing to be ashamed of. I was fortunate to have my mother around to assist me during that hectic period. Having a support system makes all the difference in managing those early challenges.

Exclusive pumping is really a hustle! It's encouraging to hear that your son eventually got the latch right. That's a good one, knowing when to seek help and guidance in order to achieve a successful latch. Some mums might be too proud or reluctant to seek help, thinking they should naturally know how to feed their babies, so kudos to you!
You're right! Many new mothers might feel shy or embarrassed to ask for help, but seeking advice from lactation consultants or experienced parents can make a world of difference. I was determined not to let latching issues defeat me, so seeking professional help was an invaluable decision. It's a learnable skill, and there's no shame in getting guidance!

You're right; some new mothers might feel shy or embarrassed to admit they need help. It's great to acknowledge that parenting is a learning curve and seeking guidance for breastfeeding is nothing to be ashamed of. Help comes in many forms, and sometimes professional help or peer support can make a huge difference! In the midst of feeding struggles, it's heartening to know we're not alone and there's light at the end of the tunnel!

Yup, sought help from a lactation consultant after a rough start to our breastfeeding journey. She provided valuable tips on correct latching technique which really helped. Also had to educate myself on the different holds and positions for feeding - there's more than one way to hold a baby! Knowledge is power!

I exclusively pumped for the first four months of my daughter's life because she couldn't latch well either, so I feel you, Samantha! It was such a tedious and tiring routine, pumping around the clock. I also invested in a hospital-grade pump to up my supply and ensure efficient pumping. What worked for me was making a playlist of feel-good songs that I'd jam out to during each session. It helped the time pass by pleasantly and motivated me to keep going.
That's a groovy way to make pumping sessions more enjoyable! Music has a way of brightening up our moods, so why not rock out to your favorite tunes while doing the tedious pump routine? Thanks for sharing; might have to give that a try myself!

I exclusively pumped for the first four months of my daughter's life because she couldn't latch well either, so I feel you, Samantha! It was such a tedious and tiring routine, pumping around the clock. I also invested in a hospital-grade pump to up my supply and ensure efficient pumping. What worked for me was making a playlist of feel-good songs that I'd jam out to during each session. It helped the time pass by pleasantly and motivated me to keep going.
That's a groovy way to make pumping a little more enjoyable, Jamming out to good music! I'm sure many mothers would appreciate this idea. Thanks for sharing!

Having some fun and enjoying the little things like jamming to your favourite tunes during pumping can make a mundane task more manageable. Our mummies' instincts sometimes just kick in to help us survive and enjoy the challenging situations!

Having some 'me' time with pumping sessions is an unexpected but welcome bonus! Finding hospital-grade pump equipment that actually works well is also half the battle won; it makes a world of difference in maintaining sanity while stuck to a routine.

I'm glad you eventually found happiness in breastfeeding after some initial struggles. But you also had help which made all the difference. Many others aren't as lucky to have that support system. So it's realistic to say that without the help, you might still be struggling or might have given up breastfeeding altogether. It's great to set expectations for new mothers on the realities of breastfeeding and that it's okay to seek help and advice when needed. That's half the battle won.
You're spot on! It's a challenge to juggle the demands of new motherhood, especially when feed issues arise. Help and support from others can make a world of difference, and it's okay to reach out and ask for assistance. Many mothers struggle in silence, and that adds unnecessary pressure and stress. Recognising the problem and seeking guidance is a sensible approach!

I'm glad you eventually found happiness in breastfeeding after some initial struggles. But you also had help which made all the difference. Many others aren't as lucky to have that support system. So it's realistic to say that without the help, you might still be struggling or might have given up breastfeeding altogether. It's great to set expectations for new mothers on the realities of breastfeeding and that it's okay to seek help and advice when needed. That's half the battle won.
You're very right; it's a huge blessing to have a support system, and not everyone is as fortunate. Having help can make a world of difference, and it's a reminder that we mums should seek out assistance when needed. It's okay to acknowledge that the struggle is real and that sometimes, we can't do it all alone. Sharing experiences like these may very well encourage someone to reach out and ask for help!

Exclusive pumping is a huge commitment and a challenge, so kudos to you, Samantha, for keeping at it despite the difficulties! It's great that you found solutions and adaptations that worked for you.

I agree that seeking support and sharing stories with other parents helps; we certainly aren't alone in our struggles, and it's reassuring to know other parents have been through similar trials. I'm curious to know what your go-to lactation cookie recipe was, and how you tailored it to your dietary preferences! Always on the lookout for new recipes!
I don't think there's any secret recipe per se; I experimented with various healthy ingredients, keeping in line with my vegan diet. Oats, flaxseed, and brewers' yeast were constants in my cookie batches, and I'd throw in some nuts and dried fruits for extra flavour. The internet is a great source of interesting recipes, and I'd often bake these lactation cookies with whatever ingredient substitutes that aligned with my dietary preferences. It was fun to create something delicious while also benefiting my milk supply!

You're right; having a support system can make a huge difference in those challenging early days. Many mothers struggle in silence, thinking they should be able to figure it out on their own, which can lead to unnecessary stress and anxiety. Reach out to loved ones or even seek professional help - there's no shame in it!

Exclusive pumping is a huge commitment and a challenge, so kudos to you, Samantha, for keeping at it despite the difficulties! It's great that you found solutions and adaptations that worked for you.

I agree that seeking support and sharing stories with other parents helps; we certainly aren't alone in our struggles, and it's reassuring to know other parents have been through similar trials. I'm curious to know what your go-to lactation cookie recipe was, and how you tailored it to your dietary preferences! Always on the lookout for new recipes!
I've never really baked lactation cookies myself, surprisingly, even with all the pumping struggles. I usually buy them off the shelf from this one local baking venture specialized in lactation treats because the varieties of flavors they offer sound too good to pass up! But when I need a more affordable option, I make oat chocolate chip cookies using recipes found online and adding flaxseed and brewer's yeast as the secret ingredients for boosting milk supply. It worked well enough for me and my little one seemed to like the taste too! The internet is a great resource for finding interesting lactation cookie recipes with different flavors and toppings so that you don't get bored of the same old cookies every day.

My secret ingredient to a delicious and nutritious lactation cookie is actually brewing some tea first thing in the morning. I'd use the water meant for infusion as a substitute for wet ingredients like butter or milk. The taste really depends on the tea used, giving the cookies an interesting kick of flavor. Using oats and flaxseed powder also gives a good boost to the overall recipe, making them nutritious and tasty!

My friend swears by oatmeal chocolate chip lactation cookies, and apparently, they were a hit with her husband too! She adapted a regular oatmeal cookie recipe by adding Brewer's Yeast and some extra dairy-free ingredients when she was lactose intolerant. The cookies were so good, I didn't realize they were dairy-free! I'll ask for the recipe and share it here, if that's cool. You're right about the support system though; it makes a world of difference in those challenging early days.

That's awesome how you discovered some dietary changes that helped increase milk supply. it's a big relief when we find things that work, amidst all the troubles! Having a support system and hearing stories of others' struggles puts things in perspective. Thanks for sharing!
It surely does! We often feel our problems are uniquely daunting, but realizing others have faced similar challenges reminds us we're not alone and gives us hope. You're welcome; it's reassuring to know that those dietary changes helped! Have a great day!

My diet was mainly gluten-free and dairy-free due to my son's sensitive tummy, so lactation cookie recipes were tailored accordingly. I substituted regular flour with a GF blend, and for the dairy, I used almond or coconut milk and lactose-free butter. The challenges were real, but the heartwarming smiles while feeding my little one made every struggle melt away!

I'd be happy to share the detailed recipe if anyone's interested. It's encouraging to hear of other mums who've persevered through feeding woes and emerged victorious!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu