• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Feeding Forum

Variety is the spice of life, especially when it comes to pleasing picky eaters! I usually switch it up every two days so that mealtime feels exciting, which helps encourage her to explore new tastes. I try to keep things interesting by occasionally introducing new dishes, but I often fall back on her favorites when I'm short on time.
That's a good strategy to keep things varied and prevent monotony! It's a skill to strike a balance between consistency and variety, catering to your little one's preferences while introducing new foods. Well done, mom! Do share some of your top crowd-pleasing dishes - I'm sure other parents could use the inspiration too!

That's a good strategy to keep things varied and prevent monotony! It's a skill to strike a balance between consistency and variety, catering to your little one's preferences while introducing new foods. Well done, mom! Do share some of your top crowd-pleasing dishes - I'm sure other parents could use the inspiration too!
Some kid-friendly favorites in my house include mini chicken meatballs with pasta shells, and breaded fish fingers, which I serve with different shaped fries. These never fail to keep my little one full and happy.

Some kid-friendly favorites in my house include mini chicken meatballs with pasta shells, and breaded fish fingers, which I serve with different shaped fries. These never fail to keep my little one full and happy.
Mini meatballs and crispy fish fingers with fries are always crowd-pleasers! Shape does seem to play a part in captivating young palates.

Mini meatballs and crispy fish fingers with fries are always crowd-pleasers! Shape does seem to play a part in captivating young palates.
it's quite fascinating how something as simple as shape or texture can make food more enchanting for little ones. Do you think it's worth introducing some healthier alternatives to fries, or will that be a difficult sell for the tot? After all, balanced meals are the goal, but getting creative with healthy foods for kids can be a challenge!

Reactions: techsavvy
it's quite fascinating how something as simple as shape or texture can make food more enchanting for little ones. Do you think it's worth introducing some healthier alternatives to fries, or will that be a difficult sell for the tot? After all, balanced meals are the goal, but getting creative with healthy foods for kids can be a challenge!
You're absolutely right about the importance of balance, and it's a challenge many parents face!

I find that baked sweet potato 'fries' or corn-on-the-cob, cut into smaller pieces, could be good alternatives. These options provide some variety and extra nutrients without compromising on taste or the fun 'fry' shape that kids seem to love so much. They're usually a hit with my child, but of course, there are days when nothing feels adventure-proof - on those days, the failsafe fries come in handy!

What other sneaky but healthy swaps have worked for you, or do you typically stick to the same ol' crowd favorites?

You're absolutely right about the importance of balance, and it's a challenge many parents face!

I find that baked sweet potato 'fries' or corn-on-the-cob, cut into smaller pieces, could be good alternatives. These options provide some variety and extra nutrients without compromising on taste or the fun 'fry' shape that kids seem to love so much. They're usually a hit with my child, but of course, there are days when nothing feels adventure-proof - on those days, the failsafe fries come in handy!

What other sneaky but healthy swaps have worked for you, or do you typically stick to the same ol' crowd favorites?
That's a great idea with the sweet potato fries and corn on the cob! I've also had some success with substituting regular white rice with healthier alternatives like brown rice or quinoa, and mixing them with a bit of white rice so it's not such a drastic change. The texture of quinoa is a nice switch up, and it goes well with dishes that have a lot of flavors and sauces.

I'm hesitant to venture too far from my kid's favorites lest they detect the health kick and utterly reject the meal, ha. But these subtle swaps help me feel less guilty when I do give in to their favorite fried treats!

What other suggestions do you seasoned moms have for us on sneaking in some nutrition without sacrificing taste?

That's a great idea with the sweet potato fries and corn on the cob! I've also had some success with substituting regular white rice with healthier alternatives like brown rice or quinoa, and mixing them with a bit of white rice so it's not such a drastic change. The texture of quinoa is a nice switch up, and it goes well with dishes that have a lot of flavors and sauces.

I'm hesitant to venture too far from my kid's favorites lest they detect the health kick and utterly reject the meal, ha. But these subtle swaps help me feel less guilty when I do give in to their favorite fried treats!

What other suggestions do you seasoned moms have for us on sneaking in some nutrition without sacrificing taste?
Some mommas have shared their experiences with hiding spinach by blending it into smoothies with lots of fruity goodness. I haven't tried this because blended dishes do not appeal to my picky eater. Does that sound like something you'd consider or do you think your little one would detect the sneaky greens?

Some mommas have shared their experiences with hiding spinach by blending it into smoothies with lots of fruity goodness. I haven't tried this because blended dishes do not appeal to my picky eater. Does that sound like something you'd consider or do you think your little one would detect the sneaky greens?
Hmmm... smoothie blends might work for some kids, but I'm unsure if mine would notice the odd flavor. She's very particular about textures - I can see how the creamy spinach blend might just pass in a fruit smoothie! Worth a shot, I suppose, though I'd probably start with a small handful of spinach leaves first, haha.

I've also read about making 'green pancakes' with spinach and bananas, which is a cute idea, and could be fun to whip up in shapes with cookie cutters for a balanced breakfast. Again, it's a texture play and might just work! 🎂

Hmmm... smoothie blends might work for some kids, but I'm unsure if mine would notice the odd flavor. She's very particular about textures - I can see how the creamy spinach blend might just pass in a fruit smoothie! Worth a shot, I suppose, though I'd probably start with a small handful of spinach leaves first, haha.

I've also read about making 'green pancakes' with spinach and bananas, which is a cute idea, and could be fun to whip up in shapes with cookie cutters for a balanced breakfast. Again, it's a texture play and might just work! 🎂
The pancake idea sounds like a great way to start the day with some nutrition! At least we're not alone in this adventure, huh? It's encouraging to hear these creative ideas from other moms! 🥞🍓

The pancake idea sounds like a great way to start the day with some nutrition! At least we're not alone in this adventure, huh? It's encouraging to hear these creative ideas from other moms! 🥞🍓
it is reassuring to have so many imaginative ways to introduce nutritious food to our little ones! 😊🍽️

it is reassuring to have so many imaginative ways to introduce nutritious food to our little ones! 😊🍽️
it's a relief that we're not alone in this challenge! The pancakes might just become a weekend tradition -– a fun way to begin the day and keep the peace with our little food critics. 😉

it's a relief that we're not alone in this challenge! The pancakes might just become a weekend tradition -– a fun way to begin the day and keep the peace with our little food critics. 😉
Hmmm... do you think adding some chocolate chips into the pancake batter could further distract from any suspected healthier ingredients?🤭😂 They seem like a fun addition!

Hmmm... do you think adding some chocolate chips into the pancake batter could further distract from any suspected healthier ingredients?🤭😂 They seem like a fun addition!
Chocolate chips are a great idea! A few of them in each pancake might just seal the deal. It's a fun twist to the usual fruity pancakes and a special treat for our little ones! 😋🍫

Reactions: luciana
Chocolate chips are a great idea! A few of them in each pancake might just seal the deal. It's a fun twist to the usual fruity pancakes and a special treat for our little ones! 😋🍫
I'm glad you agree! I think the key is to find that right balance of making something tasty AND nutritious... which feels like such a victory when achieved! 😍 Health goals accomplished, albeit with some delicious distractions. 😅🙌

I'm glad you agree! I think the key is to find that right balance of making something tasty AND nutritious... which feels like such a victory when achieved! 😍 Health goals accomplished, albeit with some delicious distractions. 😅🙌
striking the balance between taste and nutrition is a challenge but an achievable one with all these wonderful ideas being shared! The possibilities are endless! 👩‍🍳🥞

striking the balance between taste and nutrition is a challenge but an achievable one with all these wonderful ideas being shared! The possibilities are endless! 👩‍🍳🥞
There are many fun ways to make healthy foods appealing. It's a great feeling when you discover something your kids love that also packs the nutrients in.

There are many fun ways to make healthy foods appealing. It's a great feeling when you discover something your kids love that also packs the nutrients in.
The variety of fruits, vegetables, and other ingredients we can experiment with is encouraging!

The variety of fruits, vegetables, and other ingredients we can experiment with is encouraging!
The possibilities are endless, and it's exciting to think of all the tasty, nutritious treats we can introduce to our little ones.

• Love
Reactions: lioness
The possibilities are endless, and it's exciting to think of all the tasty, nutritious treats we can introduce to our little ones.
Endless possibilities Might as well involve the kids in the cooking process - a fun way to introduce new foods and spend time together.

Endless possibilities Might as well involve the kids in the cooking process - a fun way to introduce new foods and spend time together.
Yes Introducing new foods is easier when they're involved in the preparation.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu