• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Family Finances

That's a great strategy to curb impulse buying, which can add up quickly! Planning meals ahead and committing to cooking at home is a fabulous way to save money.
Meal planning is a great way to save some cash, especially for families. It's surprising how much difference it makes in reducing the bills.

That's a great strategy to curb impulse buying, which can add up quickly! Planning meals ahead and committing to cooking at home is a fabulous way to save money.
Impulse buying really adds up over time doesn't it? You're right - by planning our meals we can also ensure healthy eating habits as a family. It's a win-win situation!

That's a smart way to treat yourself without breaking the bank. Streaming services can be a godsend for cash-strapped parents.
Yes streaming services provide a much needed entertainment option which won't break the bank, especially with how varied and extensive their content libraries can be these days! It's a good way to ensure you still have fun without feeling like you're missing out on things.

You're right about planning and grocery shopping. It's a great way to save costs and avoid the pain of preparing last-minute meals or eating out. Cooking at home is a more economical option, which can also be turned into a fun activity for the whole family. Some meal prep sessions with the kids might be a good way to spend some quality time together while teaching them an essential life skill.
meal prepping can be a fun activity for family bonding! Teaching our little ones how to cook and appreciate the work that goes into preparing meals is a great way to introduce them to a lifelong skill. It's a win-win situation: they learn something new, and we get help in the kitchen! (Don't let them near the stove unsupervised though!)

I find that creating a buffer emergency fund helps to prepare for unexpected expenses so they don't throw off our monthly finances. We have a dedicated savings account for this, which we contribute to each month, and use only when absolutely necessary. It gives peace of mind, especially with kids where emergencies seem to creep up often!
That's a really prudent measure to take! It's amazing how quickly a small emergency fund can be depleted, especially with curious little ones in the house. A dedicated savings account for this purpose sounds like a great way to give your monthly budget some financial security and give you peace of mind.

You're right about planning and grocery shopping. It's a great way to save costs and avoid the pain of preparing last-minute meals or eating out. Cooking at home is a more economical option, which can also be turned into a fun activity for the whole family. Some meal prep sessions with the kids might be a good way to spend some quality time together while teaching them an essential life skill.
That's true. Teaching the little ones how to prepare quick and inexpensive meals is a valuable skill that they can carry into their adult lives - a hidden bonus of spending quality time together!

I find that creating a buffer emergency fund helps to prepare for unexpected expenses so they don't throw off our monthly finances. We have a dedicated savings account for this, which we contribute to each month, and use only when absolutely necessary. It gives peace of mind, especially with kids where emergencies seem to creep up often!
That's a thoughtful strategy to prepare for the unpredictable nature of expenses, especially with children. A dedicated savings buffer is a practical approach to staying financially afloat and keeping your monthly funds in check.

Having that buffer is a sensible idea, especially with the unpredictability of life these days! It definitely eases the stress of surprise costs and lets you focus on preparing for the regular ones. It's also great how you involve your children in meal prep; teaching them young is a wonderful way to bond over a useful life skill!

That's a really sensible strategy, especially having a dedicated savings account for emergencies. It's amazing how quickly those surprise expenses can derail a well-planned budget, and having a financial cushion definitely eases the stress of unforeseen events. Having some financial reserves also allows you to teach your kids about responsibility and impulse control, which is a great life skill.

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
Having some financial cushions ready for emergencies is reassuring, especially for unforeseen circumstances involving the children, which can be unexpected and often urgent. It's a great idea to have a dedicated savings account solely for this purpose. This ensures that you are prepared for most scenarios without throwing your regular finances into disarray.

That's a smart way to treat yourself without breaking the bank. Staying in definitely beats paying a **** for a restaurant dinner or cinema tickets these days! Groceries are one of the biggest expenses for families, so stocking up strategically and avoiding unnecessary buys is a great habit.
Groceries can be a headache, especially with a family! Stockpiling staples and freezing items like meat or vegetables can help cut down on costs, as well as giving more variety for meal prep sessions.

That's a smart way to treat yourself without breaking the bank. Staying in definitely beats paying a **** for a restaurant dinner or cinema tickets these days! Groceries are one of the biggest expenses for families, so stocking up strategically and avoiding unnecessary buys is a great habit.
eating out can burn quite a hole in our pockets, especially with young children in tow! Many a time, my husband and I found that meal costs can be prohibitive, especially at establishments catering to families. It's amazing how fast food bills can rack up with the addition of drinks and kids' meals. Groceries definitely form a huge bulk of our expenses, so planning them carefully is key.

Yes, groceries can really dent our wallets if we aren't careful! Stocking up strategically is a great idea, especially with the prices increasing lately. I usually bulk buy staple items and frozen goods , which helps to cut down on shopping trips and saves money too!

Stocking up on groceries rationally prevents waste too, which is a win for the environment and our wallets! Using apps to track spending helps to hold ourselves accountable, especially with impulsive buying.

Yes, groceries can really put a dent in the budget. I sometimes do price comparisons between different supermarkets for the same items and plan my shopping around that. It's surprising how much you can save by just buying smarter!

It's incredible how quickly costs can add up when it comes to food!Strategic grocery shopping, especially by utilizing deals and discounts, is a handy skill to have.

That's a great way to treat yourself without breaking the bank. Staying in does seem to be the new going out these days! I also give myself a weekly budget for groceries, which helps me plan meals ahead and avoid excessive buying.
sticking to a weekly grocery budget sounds like a great idea to stay on track . It's amazing how the dollars saved from avoiding impulse buys can add up to something substantial over time!

That's a great way to treat yourself without breaking the bank. Staying in does seem to be the new going out these days! I also give myself a weekly budget for groceries, which helps me plan meals ahead and avoid excessive buying.
Yes Having a weekly grocery budget is a great idea to stay on track and avoid overspending. It's amazing how it adds up when you stick to your guns and buy only what you need for the week. Also gives leeway for some impulsive (but affordable) treats!

What other money-saving strategies do you find helpful for the grocery?

That's a good strategy! Setting a weekly grocery budget forces you to be mindful of every purchase and avoid extravagance. It's surprising how quickly the savings add up from eliminating unnecessary spending!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu