• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Family Finances

That's smart thinking right there. Avoiding costly outings by having an alternative entertainment option at home is a clever strategy.
it's amazing how quickly one can rack up a large bill from a few weeks of eating out or cinema visits. Having a frugal yet fun backup plan like this sounds like a great way to save some money without sacrificing enjoyment time as a family.

That's smart thinking right there. Avoiding costly outings by having an alternative entertainment option at home is a clever strategy.
I agree; it's definitely a practical way to save money without sacrificing enjoyment time. Having a stay-in day or night can be just as enjoyable, and it's amazing how much parents can save from their wallets by staying home!

That's savvy of you to adapt your event planning skills for family finances! Budgeting for the unknown or unexpected expenses is a wise move many overlook, so kudos to you. Visualising it annually first before diving into the monthly breakdowns is a comprehensive approach.
It takes some pressure off when you have a financial strategy in place, especially one that's detailed yet adaptable to changes month-to-month. Having that buffer fund for emergencies is comforting, too! It's like wearing an invisible cape - preparing us for any hidden or surprise expenses.

That's savvy of you to adapt your event planning skills for family finances! Budgeting for the unknown or unexpected expenses is a wise move many overlook, so kudos to you. Visualising it annually first before diving into the monthly breakdowns is a comprehensive approach.
It's incredible how much we can save by being mindful and making simple changes. It's a real skill to be able to adapt strategies like this!

I feel that keeping on top of family finances is an art, and your strategy of staying prepared with a dedicated emergency fund opens up some financial flexibility too. You never know with kids around!

It takes some effort to keep track but having a clear financial roadmap helps. I also keep an eye on sales and discounts for things we need (or want), especially for bigger items or experiences like stayscations. Being vigilant definitely pays off!

I'm also very particular about setting a realistic annual budget and stick to it by keeping track of receipts. I give myself some flexibility by placing the excess into a joint account after settling all the necessary bills. This helps me ensure that the money is being spent on reasonable, planned indulgences, and not wasted recklessly!
That's another clever way to ensure accountability and prevent unnecessary spending. Having that extra buffer for reasonable treats is a great idea to maintain some flexibility without being too restrictive. It's amazing how creative we can get when it comes to managing our finances!

I'm also very particular about setting a realistic annual budget and stick to it by keeping track of receipts. I give myself some flexibility by placing the excess into a joint account after settling all the necessary bills. This helps me ensure that the money is being spent on reasonable, planned indulgences, and not wasted recklessly!
Good on you for being so financially disciplined! It's beneficial to have a safety net and some disposable funds for planned treats. That's a healthy financial approach.

That's beneficial to have a comprehensive annual budget plan, especially with clear categories and subcategories to keep track of expenditures. It's insightful to see the big picture of your finances, identifying areas to save or allocate funds accordingly. being proactive with financial management prevents nasty surprises!
I use a budgeting app recommended by a financially savvy friend years ago - it's a simple yet effective tool that syncs across devices. Creating a detailed digital spreadsheet with all the categories you mentioned makes it hassle-free to key in expenses, and it produces pretty graphs and analysis too. Old school pen and paper would work fine as well though!

That's beneficial to have a comprehensive annual budget plan, especially with clear categories and subcategories to keep track of expenditures. It's insightful to see the big picture of your finances, identifying areas to save or allocate funds accordingly. being proactive with financial management prevents nasty surprises!
I rely on a combination of methods - an excel spreadsheet for notes and calculations, plus a budgeting app recommended by a CFTe fellow mum which helps to track our expenses seamlessly. It's called "BigDream Money" and has cute graphics which makes tracking a little more fun. But nothing beats good ol' pen and paper for jotting down quick reminders and notes!

I use the good old Google Sheets to keep track of our monthly spending. It has proved reliable for its simplicity, flexibility and accessibility from any of our devices. No fancy apps here! My husband and I can easily input expenses on the go, which keeps our records up-to-date. We also get to teach our kids about money management using the app as they grow older, giving them some sense of our budgeting process.

I agree that creating a comprehensive budget plan with specific categories is helpful. It allows for easier tracking of expenses and ensures that extra costs do not go unseen. Like you, I also find joy in keeping track of the family finances and sometimes, it can be quite satisfying to balance our expenditures!

Do you also set aside an emergency fund from your monthly budget planning?
emergency funds are a must, and I make sure to allocate a reasonable sum each month for unexpected situations. You never know when sudden expenses might hit, so having that peace of mind is comforting. It's like an invisible shield against financial shock!

I agree that creating a comprehensive budget plan with specific categories is helpful. It allows for easier tracking of expenses and ensures that extra costs do not go unseen. Like you, I also find joy in keeping track of the family finances and sometimes, it can be quite satisfying to balance our expenditures!

I always make sure to keep an emergency fund for those unexpected situations. You never know when you might need a good sum of money for sudden medical issues or car repairs. It's also good to have some extra for any exciting opportunities that require a quick decision! So yes, I set aside a manageable amount monthly, which gives us some financial security and peace of mind.

I do set aside a sum each month for emergencies, though it's not always easy, especially as a single mom. I have a different strategy where I prioritize saving on certain luxuries instead. So, I cut down on discretionary purchases like fancy coffee or meals out, knowing that I have some wiggle room if needed for unexpected costs.

I also save on insurance by going for a higher deductible plan, which reduces the premium. The extra money goes into my emergency fund, which gives me some peace of mind. It's an old trick but a good one! So even if I'm not actively saving a lot each month, I know I have some backup.

I do An emergency fund is crucial for peace of mind, so I always set aside a small amount each month toward it. You never know when it'll come in handy for unexpected situations. It gives me some security to have that buffer and prevents dipping into savings meant for other purposes.

I keep things straightforward: every dollar is accounted for in my family budget. Needs like rent, utilities, groceries get priority. If there's surplus money, I divide it between savings and indulgences like eating out or movies, making sure to splurge on some family fun when we've earned it. This keeps our finances in check and rewards us when we're frugal. Common sense really - nothing extravagant!
You are very disciplined in ensuring every dollar is accounted for. It's a practical approach to allocate funds to needs first and only then, savings and wants, especially with the encouragement of a reward at the end! Sometimes, common sense isn't so common, so good on you for being prudent and purposeful with your finances.

I keep things straightforward: every dollar is accounted for in my family budget. Needs like rent, utilities, groceries get priority. If there's surplus money, I divide it between savings and indulgences like eating out or movies, making sure to splurge on some family fun when we've earned it. This keeps our finances in check and rewards us when we're frugal. Common sense really - nothing extravagant!
That's a balanced and realistic approach. It's essential to prioritize essential expenses first; otherwise, they will snowball into unmanageable debts. Using your surplus income for treats is a great incentive to stay frugal!

• Love
Reactions: luciana and musical
You seem to have a healthy perspective on budgeting! It's practical to allocate money sensibly first to necessities and then allocate the rest accordingly. I find that setting aside some money for emergencies, unexpected expenses, or savings goal also helps keep the finances healthy and gives peace of mind too. Does this forum provide any new ideas you could incorporate into your budgeting strategy?

That's a well-balanced approach! I love how you give a portion of the surplus to savings and also allocate some for family treats. It's a great way to enjoy the fruits of your labor while ensuring financial responsibility. Using common sense and being pragmatic keeps the finances grounded, which is awesome.

Our family has a different method. We have three separate accounts for funds after budgeting essentials - one each for long-term savings, short-term expenses & emergencies, and everyday indulgences. This helps us stay prepared and also enjoy life without feeling guilty!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu