• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Family Finances

As a single mom, budgeting is tight, so I've had to learn creative ways to keep costs low while still having fun. One strategy is subscribing to a cheap streaming service for some quality family time instead of spending on expensive cinema tickets. At $9.90 a month, the latest cartoons and movies are accessible. I also plan ahead and stock up on groceries, which saves impulse buying, and cooking at home is way cheaper than eating out!
That's a great way to treat yourself without breaking the bank. Staying in does seem to be the new going out these days! I also give myself a weekly budget for groceries, which helps me plan meals ahead and avoid excessive buying.

As a single mom, budgeting is tight, so I've had to learn creative ways to keep costs low while still having fun. One strategy is subscribing to a cheap streaming service for some quality family time instead of spending on expensive cinema tickets. At $9.90 a month, the latest cartoons and movies are accessible. I also plan ahead and stock up on groceries, which saves impulse buying, and cooking at home is way cheaper than eating out!
That's smart thinking right there. Avoiding costly outings by having an alternative entertainment option at home is a clever strategy.

As an event planner, I'm used to keeping track of budgets, so I use a similar strategy for my family finances. I create an annual budget plan which divides our expenses into categories like housing, transportation, entertainment, utilities, etc., with subcategories for each.

Each month I review and assess our spending, which helps me to identify any unexpected increases or decreases in costs, and adjust the next month's budget accordingly. This also helps me to plan ahead for any large or unexpected expenses.

For example, last year we spent quite a bit extra on medical bills, so I made sure to budget more for healthcare this year. Creating this detailed budget plan ensures we can maintain a healthy financial situation and still enjoy the occasional indulgence. It's satisfying to know exactly where our money is going!
That's savvy of you to adapt your event planning skills for family finances! Budgeting for the unknown or unexpected expenses is a wise move many overlook, so kudos to you. Visualising it annually first before diving into the monthly breakdowns is a comprehensive approach.

As an event planner, I'm used to keeping track of budgets, so I use a similar strategy for my family finances. I create an annual budget plan which divides our expenses into categories like housing, transportation, entertainment, utilities, etc., with subcategories for each.

Each month I review and assess our spending, which helps me to identify any unexpected increases or decreases in costs, and adjust the next month's budget accordingly. This also helps me to plan ahead for any large or unexpected expenses.

For example, last year we spent quite a bit extra on medical bills, so I made sure to budget more for healthcare this year. Creating this detailed budget plan ensures we can maintain a healthy financial situation and still enjoy the occasional indulgence. It's satisfying to know exactly where our money is going!
I'm also very particular about setting a realistic annual budget and stick to it by keeping track of receipts. I give myself some flexibility by placing the excess into a joint account after settling all the necessary bills. This helps me ensure that the money is being spent on reasonable, planned indulgences, and not wasted recklessly!

That's a meticulous approach, definitely useful for proactive planning! Reviewing and adjusting each month sounds like a committed effort, but it seems to keep your finances in check effectively. It's wise to prepare for unexpected costs this way.

Do you use any apps or particular software for this monthly budgeting exercise, or is it an old-school spreadsheet or journal?

That's beneficial to have a comprehensive annual budget plan, especially with clear categories and subcategories to keep track of expenditures. It's insightful to see the big picture of your finances, identifying areas to save or allocate funds accordingly. being proactive with financial management prevents nasty surprises!

I agree that creating a comprehensive budget plan with specific categories is helpful. It allows for easier tracking of expenses and ensures that extra costs do not go unseen. Like you, I also find joy in keeping track of the family finances and sometimes, it can be quite satisfying to balance our expenditures!

Do you also set aside an emergency fund from your monthly budget planning?

Reactions: cissy

I keep things straightforward: every dollar is accounted for in my family budget. Needs like rent, utilities, groceries get priority. If there's surplus money, I divide it between savings and indulgences like eating out or movies, making sure to splurge on some family fun when we've earned it. This keeps our finances in check and rewards us when we're frugal. Common sense really - nothing extravagant!

That's tedious but impressive work! Monthly assessments and yearly budget plans sound very organized and mindful, especially with the categorization. It's akin to running a mini-business within the household, which I'm sure many parents can relate to.

I typically avoid impulse buying by sticking to my shopping list and not straying, which is harder than it sounds with tempted kids in tow! Online grocery shopping has also become a lifesaver; it prevents unnecessary spending and is a real time saver too.

My ex was bad with money so I did the household budgeting. I kept him on a short leash - literally a monthly allowance that he could spend on anything he wanted including eating out, drinks with his friends etc. That way I knew the bills and necessary expenses were covered. It's survival of the fittest; you gotta do what works for your family without being too harsh.
That sounds like a smart way to keep on top of household finances, especially with an unpredictable spouse! Mine tends to be a little impulsive, so I might have to employ a similar strategy. It's quite astonishing how these little tricks can help keep the peace at home.

My ex was bad with money so I did the household budgeting. I kept him on a short leash - literally a monthly allowance that he could spend on anything he wanted including eating out, drinks with his friends etc. That way I knew the bills and necessary expenses were covered. It's survival of the fittest; you gotta do what works for your family without being too harsh.
That's quite an interesting strategy to keep things afloat despite your ex's different financial priorities. Providing an allowance ensures the necessary expenses are met. What you've shared reminds me that there's more than one way to approach budgeting, and sometimes unconventional strategies can be effective! It's a matter of finding what works best for your family dynamics.

Reactions: bubblyfish
I'm not a single parent, but we also allocate our family expenses using the 'Rule of Three' pots. It's a simple and effective system to manage our finances and ensure we don't blow our budget on unnecessary expenses.
That's great to hear! It's commendable how budgeting tools adapt to different family situations and demographics. What would you say are some challenges, if any, that you've experienced in using this method, and how did you overcome them?

I'm not a single parent, but we also allocate our family expenses using the 'Rule of Three' pots. It's a simple and effective system to manage our finances and ensure we don't blow our budget on unnecessary expenses.
That's great to hear! It's commendable how you're able to effectively manage your finances without compromising on fun. What would you say is the most challenging part of budgeting as a family, especially with the Rule of Three? Keeping everyone on the same page can be tough, I'm sure!

It's great to hear that the 'Rule of Three' works for other families too! Does your family have any fun, frugal ways of making the most of your necessary expenses category, without compromising on enjoyment?

That's great to hear! It's commendable how budgeting tools help keep track of finances, especially in today's expensive times. Does your family have any other financial strategies up your sleeve?

The Rule of Three seems like a creative yet effective way to keep the finances in order! It's impressive how these small strategies can help us navigate essential family expenses while keeping some funds for fun activities.

Are there any other budgeting secrets you've uncovered over the years that have helped you stay afloat and sane? It's encouraging to know these clever workarounds that help us enjoy life without breaking the bank!

That's great to hear! It's encouraging to know that different systems work for different families. budgeting can be a challenging task, so it's helpful to share strategies!

That's great to hear! It's amazing how different strategies work for different families. What works for us is having a clear allocation system and sticking to it. Keeps the financial peace at home.

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
We do something similar too! I call it the 'Survival Fund Allocation' method or SFA for short. Sounds more official that way.

Basically, we split our funds into 3 accounts:

1. Essentials - For all the necessary expenses like rent/mortgage, utilities, groceries, transportation, etc.

2. Fun & Leisure - This is our discretionary fund for eating out, movie tickets, vacations, toys and games. The kids have a say in deciding how we allocate this budget, so they're invested in the decision-making process.

3. contingency/Savings - We put aside an amount each month for emergencies and future goals like replacing the old TV or saving up for a rainy day. The temptation to dip into this fund is strong, but we try hard to resist!

Having these separate budgets lets us manage expectations and teaches the kids some financial discipline too. And that's the gist of my budgeting strategy - involving the family, keeping it visual and simple, and ensuring we all understand our contributions. It's comforting to know that everyone's on the same financial page.
Involving your family in decision-making is a great way to keep everyone on the same page. Your 'Survival Fund Allocation' method is a creative and effective way to visually allocate your finances!

We do something similar too! I call it the 'Survival Fund Allocation' method or SFA for short. Sounds more official that way.

Basically, we split our funds into 3 accounts:

1. Essentials - For all the necessary expenses like rent/mortgage, utilities, groceries, transportation, etc.

2. Fun & Leisure - This is our discretionary fund for eating out, movie tickets, vacations, toys and games. The kids have a say in deciding how we allocate this budget, so they're invested in the decision-making process.

3. contingency/Savings - We put aside an amount each month for emergencies and future goals like replacing the old TV or saving up for a rainy day. The temptation to dip into this fund is strong, but we try hard to resist!

Having these separate budgets lets us manage expectations and teaches the kids some financial discipline too. And that's the gist of my budgeting strategy - involving the family, keeping it visual and simple, and ensuring we all understand our contributions. It's comforting to know that everyone's on the same financial page.
Involving the whole family in deciding how to allocate funds can be impactful in teaching financial discipline and responsibility. Do you find that your kids are more considered shoppers, now that they have a say in the 'Fun & Leisure' budgeting?

Also, how do you determine the amount allocated to each pot annually or monthly? Does it change with changing needs or remain static throughout the year?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu