• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Family Finances

We do something similar too! I call it the 'Survival Fund Allocation' method or SFA for short. Sounds more official that way.

Basically, we split our funds into 3 accounts:

1. Essentials - For all the necessary expenses like rent/mortgage, utilities, groceries, transportation, etc.

2. Fun & Leisure - This is our discretionary fund for eating out, movie tickets, vacations, toys and games. The kids have a say in deciding how we allocate this budget, so they're invested in the decision-making process.

3. contingency/Savings - We put aside an amount each month for emergencies and future goals like replacing the old TV or saving up for a rainy day. The temptation to dip into this fund is strong, but we try hard to resist!

Having these separate budgets lets us manage expectations and teaches the kids some financial discipline too. And that's the gist of my budgeting strategy - involving the family, keeping it visual and simple, and ensuring we all understand our contributions. It's comforting to know that everyone's on the same financial page.
That's a clever name, SFA, which makes budgeting seem like an adventure! Your method is similar to others mentioned but with your own fun twist. Getting the family involved is a great way to create awareness about money and its management and sounds like you've found something that works well for you.

We do something similar too! I call it the 'Survival Fund Allocation' method or SFA for short. Sounds more official that way.

Basically, we split our funds into 3 accounts:

1. Essentials - For all the necessary expenses like rent/mortgage, utilities, groceries, transportation, etc.

2. Fun & Leisure - This is our discretionary fund for eating out, movie tickets, vacations, toys and games. The kids have a say in deciding how we allocate this budget, so they're invested in the decision-making process.

3. contingency/Savings - We put aside an amount each month for emergencies and future goals like replacing the old TV or saving up for a rainy day. The temptation to dip into this fund is strong, but we try hard to resist!

Having these separate budgets lets us manage expectations and teaches the kids some financial discipline too. And that's the gist of my budgeting strategy - involving the family, keeping it visual and simple, and ensuring we all understand our contributions. It's comforting to know that everyone's on the same financial page.
That's an innovative method with the SFA. I like how you involve everyone in deciding the 'Fun & Leisure' budget; it's a great way to make family finances an open and engaging topic. having everyone on the same page from an early age helps to set realistic expectations and avoids misunderstandings.

We keep costs down by prioritizing. Needs are essential and non-negotiable; we spend first to cover these. Wants are luxurious and we save for them, having an open discussion on the family's desired wants ensures we're all on the same page and saves unnecessary spending.
You're right! Prioritising as a family is key to effective budgeting. It's essential to distinguish between 'needs' and 'wants' and agree on the essentials first. This unified front ensures everyone understands what's what, and luxury desires don't override the practical necessities.

We keep costs down by prioritizing. Needs are essential and non-negotiable; we spend first to cover these. Wants are luxurious and we save for them, having an open discussion on the family's desired wants ensures we're all on the same page and saves unnecessary spending.
That's a clear and concise strategy! It's great how you involve everyone in discussing and prioritizing their wants - keeps everyone aligned and engaged.

Having a united front with your family when budgeting is key! It prevents misunderstandings and keeps everyone accountable.

We use a shared Google Sheet to log and monitor our expenses. My spouse and I can input costs incurrred real-time, so there's transparency on our spending and it helps to keep discretionary purchases in check. It also helps us collectively decide if an expense is really necessary.
That's a clever use of technology for budgeting! Do you have any tips on how to best organise this? I'm assuming the sheet has different categories but do you also note down the date, amount and perhaps a brief description? Also, how do you keep the inputting consistent especially if your spouse has a different idea of what constitutes an essential spend?

We use a shared Google Sheet to log and monitor our expenses. My spouse and I can input costs incurrred real-time, so there's transparency on our spending and it helps to keep discretionary purchases in check. It also helps us collectively decide if an expense is really necessary.
That's a smart way to involve your spouse in budgeting! I use an old-school notebook for jotting down our expenses, which works well for me as I prefer pen and paper over screens. But the real-time tracking of costs sounds like a nifty way to keep track and avoid those secret splurges that can blow up budgets! Does anyone else here use tech tools for budgeting?

That's a smart way to keep track of your expenses! My family uses Apple Numbers for the same purpose - having that digital oversight really keeps us accountable. Having the whole family involved in inputting and overseeing the numbers creates a healthier awareness of our spending habits. It's a great visual and transparent method to keep the budgeting process efficient and engaging for all of us.

That's quite an intricate way of keeping track of your finances! Many would find it helpful to have a clear, digital record of their expenditures, and it being readily accessible online makes it convenient for modern families like yours.

For me, I've always been careful with money, being a plant mom goes hand-in-hand with frugality - you've got to watch those pennies! So, I keep a good old fashioned ledger which I jot down expenses in. There's something satisfying about physically writing it all out, and flipping through pages of careful notes. Though I'm sure digital natives would cringe at the thought!

Using tech to stay on top of things seems like a great idea! Do you find that this method also helps in keeping track of your family's overall financial goals? Or do you have a separate system for that? It's fascinating how differently everyone tackles these common challenges.

Using technology certainly keeps things convenient and transparent! I use a family budgeting app that has helped me stay on track. It allows me to input our Rule of Three categories and monitor our spending patterns, which makes accounting easier when the expenses come due. My kids aren't old enough yet to understand budgeting, but this app helps me teach them about responsible money management gradually.

That's a smart and intuitive way to involve your kids in understanding finances!
It certainly teaches them young about financial mindfulness. It also helps that my kids are naturally curious, so they enjoy being involved and learning about money management, especially when it comes to deciding on how to splurge on 'fun' purchases! Keeps them engaged and encourages open communication too.

We keep a small whiteboard in the kitchen for essential groceries and any last minute changes in our 'wants' - mostly take out meals or last minute sport equipment needs. It helps us to see it written down and ensures we're on the same page.
That's a clever idea! Having a visually accessible and easily modifiable list keeps everyone informed, especially with little ones who might have a short attention span or less patience for lengthy discussions. A whiteboard also ensures that your grocery list is always top of mind - a great way to ensure nothing is forgotten!

We keep a small whiteboard in the kitchen for essential groceries and any last minute changes in our 'wants' - mostly take out meals or last minute sport equipment needs. It helps us to see it written down and ensures we're on the same page.
That's a neat idea! I find that writing things down makes them more real and helps avoid oversights or conflicting plans.

That's a nifty idea! A physical, visual reminder is a great way to keep the family grounded and involved with budgeting. Whiteboards are handy for such quick changes and reminders!

Having a central, accessible, and visual hub for household financial planning is convenient! It's also great for minimizing those last-minute requests that can bust a budget.

That's a clever way to involve your kids in financial literacy! My method is slightly more detailed but also focuses on visualizing our family expenses.

I use an app to track our monthly expenditures, categorized this time into five: Essentials (groceries, utilities, etc.), Transport, Health & Wellness (including health insurance), Entertainment, and Misc. I find that seeing where our money goes helps us decide as a family which expenses are essential and where we can cut back without sacrificing fun.
The level of detail in your expense categories is impressive! I'm sure it helps you manage your finances effectively down to the last dollar.

While I don't use an app, I rely heavily on my planner for noted expenses and keep track using good ol' pen and paper. There's something satisfying about physically writing down our budget and crossing things out when they're settled. Of course, that might change if we have a situation that requires real-time updates, but for now, it works.

The goal, I think, is to find a system that works best for the whole family. It's also great that you involve them in deciding what's essential and non-essential - demystifying finances for kids makes them appreciate the value of money!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu