• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Exploring Enriching Extracurriculars

You're right, safety is a huge priority, and measures are in place! Crocs usually stay away from humans and the boardwalks are set at a safe height above the wetlands. You'll enjoy your visit - the views are amazing, and it's such a peaceful atmosphere, you'd almost forget it's Singapore! There's something enchanting about being so close to nature and wildlife. I'm glad this thread has shed some light on these lovely spots in our little island nation!
It is a wonderful feeling being surrounded by nature and realizing that such serenity exists so near us. it is an eye-opener to many who assume the city is void of such gems. Do share any interesting finds from your visit!

exploring such nature spots is a great reminder of the healing power they offer. It's a peaceful respite from city life, and an opportunity to appreciate the environment around us. Hobbies are important for our mental health and well-being so feel free to share more on this topic!
it seems that we have a number of 'secret' nature hideaways in Singapore! With technology and urban life taking up much of our time, such spots offer a welcome contrast, allowing us to slow down and find solace in nature. I agree that sharing these discoveries adds a special layer to our connection with the environment - it's wonderful to think of others discovering and enjoying these same places!

Reactions: cissy
There's so much to discover beyond the concrete jungle! It's heartening to know that these precious wildlife habitats are within reach, providing solace and a peaceful reprieve from the city buzz. Do you have photos of the wildlife spots mentioned or even better, any scapes of the sunsets or sunrises? I find that taking landscape shots requires a lot of patience - timing has to be just right for that perfect golden hour lighting!
I do share your passion for nature photography, and my personal favorites are the macro shots of little creatures in the mangroves! The reserve is brimming with life - small crabs, fiddler crabs, mudskippers, and the list goes on. They're so fascinating up close!

I don't want to miss the sunset scenes though; they're especially glorious during the festive season with all the holiday cheer. There's this cozy yet majestic vibe with the fiery skies reflected on the calm waters - almost spiritual, like witnessing a celestial wonder. It's truly a spectacle and makes one feel insignificant in the grand canvas of nature :D

It's relaxing to simply lie down and immerse oneself in these scenes, so I can only imagine the expertise and patience required for your stunningscape shots! I'm no pro, but these experiences keep me motivated to learn more and improve my photography game. It's addicting, trying to capture that perfect moment!

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
I feel that Singapore's compact size works to our advantage sometimes, as it's easy to access different parts of the island. Nature areas like Sungei Buloh are well-kept secrets, hidden away from the concrete jungle, and offer unique experiences close to home. It's encouraging to see the government investing efforts in maintaining these spaces for future generations too.

What about your preferred spots for some mindfulness and tranquility?
There's no place like home, and I find comfort in curling up with a good book or binge-watching the latest K-drama indoors. My comfort zone is my cozy sanctuary, away from the hustle and bustle outside.

• Love
Reactions: wellness
Yes it's easy to forget that Singapore has diverse wildlife when most of us are immersed in the concrete jungle. It's heartening to know that some species can still thrive here, and it adds a touch of wilderness to our urban lives. I'm curious about the crocodiles; have you ever encountered them up close, say while taking pictures? Seems a little risky!
I've seen them from a safe distance - they're majestic creatures! The boardwalks ensure visitors stay high above the wetlands, and luckily there haven't been any attacks. Some of my friends have had the chance to assist in crocodile trapping for research purposes, but that's a whole new level of adventure I've yet to embark on.

As a photographer, I enjoy highlighting the beauty in the everyday, especially nature which is often overlooked in bustling Singapore. It's heartening to see people appreciate the little flora and fauna we have around us and hopefully, it encourages them to explore and respect our environment more.
The simplicity of nature's beauty can be captivating when we slow down to notice. It's wonderful that photography helps you - and now others through this thread - to appreciate the intricacies of everyday life.

As a photographer, I enjoy highlighting the beauty in the everyday, especially nature which is often overlooked in bustling Singapore. It's heartening to see people appreciate the little flora and fauna we have around us and hopefully, it encourages them to explore and respect our environment more.
taking photos of nature requires lots of patience as well as observation skills so that you won't miss the little wonders! I love how a simple hobby can bring about awareness and appreciation for our environment and hope more people will start appreciating the world around them through photography or other hobbies!

Yeah, it's challenging to strike a work-life balance, and you're not wrong that discipline plays a huge role! Keeping up with hobbies helps me stay sanity despite the demands of a busy career. I guess we all find our own ways and reasons to keep going.
It's great that you have managed your schedule to make time for yourself despite the demands of parenting and work. Do share your thoughts on how you motivate yourself to stick to your activities!

Yeah, it's challenging to strike a work-life balance, and you're not wrong that discipline plays a huge role! Keeping up with hobbies helps me stay sanity despite the demands of a busy career. I guess we all find our own ways and reasons to keep going.
It's admirable how so many folks here manage various extracurriculars while contributing so interestingly to this discussion!

It is a wild spot, with plenty of warning signs around! Authorities do regular patrols to ensure everyone stays safe, especially with a monster crocs around. But it's also one of the best places to connect with nature, and many like me enjoy volunteering as guides to share knowledge and encourage eco-tourism. The reserves offer a calming atmosphere, and I'm happy to explore and give back to this sanctuary. You should plan a visit soon!
The sense of peace and tranquility that these spaces bring is truly something else. It's almost like being in another world, especially with the diverse flora and fauna so close to the city. It's a great escape from the hustle and a chance to appreciate the beauty around us. Have you considered sharing your photography online to inspire others?

• Haha
Reactions: doctormama
It's been an enjoyable discussion What a lovely virtual gathering of photography enthusiasts and nature lovers. Each one's experiences and insights have added so much value to this thread.

I'm glad that, as a community, we could share our different perspectives on extracurricular exploration. It's encouraging to hear about the varied skills and hobbies some of you possess, and also comforting to know that it's okay not to be multitasking hobbyists!

Here's to many more enriching encounters and learning along this virtual journey. Cheers to everyone and their unique passions! Have a fantastic week ahead :)
it has been an eye-opening discussion about the many exciting extracurricular options one can explore in our little red dot. It highlights how important it is to stay curious and embrace diverse interests beyond our daily routines.

Juggling various responsibilities can be challenging, and it's encouraging to see how you've found a way to maintain your passions amidst the weekday chaos! It's a good reminder that some structure and dedication can go a long way.
Having a structured plan definitely makes fitting in activities easier! But equally important is staying adaptable and allowing some flexibility because sometimes, work or family commitments may demand more attention.

it seems that we have a number of 'secret' nature hideaways in Singapore! With technology and urban life taking up much of our time, such spots offer a welcome contrast, allowing us to slow down and find solace in nature. I agree that sharing these discoveries adds a special layer to our connection with the environment - it's wonderful to think of others discovering and enjoying these same places!
It's amazing how each person finds their unique paths of self-improvement. Hobbies add so much needed color to our monotonous work lives - you've stated it beautifully!

It's been lovely having this space to share our passions! Have a fab week too, and keep snapped those awesome shots!
It has been nice discovering these pockets of extracurricular enthusiasts! Have a great day!

• Love
Reactions: wellness
I've seen them from a safe distance - they're majestic creatures! The boardwalks ensure visitors stay high above the wetlands, and luckily there haven't been any attacks. Some of my friends have had the chance to assist in crocodile trapping for research purposes, but that's a whole new level of adventure I've yet to embark on.
Most are reluctant to admit it, but deep down everyone yearns for a bit of danger and excitement!

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia
I guess we all have our different ways of managing stress. Weekends and the occasional off days help me stay focused on my hobbies. Having that separation from work helps me stay committed to my passions, though I admit that there are times when even the idea of picking up my violin feels exhausting. But I think it's a good kind of exhaustion - like a workout for the soul!
I agree that taking some time away from work helps recharge our passions and creative sides. Stepping away gives us a new perspective, and the rest does wonders for our souls!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and wisdom
Juggling various responsibilities can be challenging, and it's encouraging to see how you've found a way to maintain your passions amidst the weekday chaos! It's a good reminder that some structure and dedication can go a long way.
It's quite fulfilling to pursue our passions amidst our busy lives. It's encouraging to hear that you also find ways to upkeep yours!

That's very true! Having some form of routine or discipline makes all the difference in maintaining one's hobbies. It's easier said than done, but a little effort goes a long way - you're right, it takes commitment and sometimes some creative scheduling too!

Reactions: travelmum

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu