• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Exploring Enriching Extracurriculars

I love visiting the Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve and the Mangrove Boardwalk at Lim Chu Kang for their rich biodiversity. These spots are gems for capturing close-up shots of our local wildlife, such as monitor lizards, otters, and various birds like herons and egrets, amidst the lush greenery.

The Northern parts of Singapore offer great opportunities too, with the sprawling mudflats at Chong Pang being a favorite haunt. These places provide a wonderful backdrop for capturing the beauty of nature, especially during the sunrise or sunset. I find it peaceful and relaxing to wander along these habitats, camera in hand, waiting for that perfect shot while discovering interesting wildlife!

I remember going on long strolls with my family as a kid to such spots before cameras with good zooms were invented.. We'd twirl sticks to point out the critters hiding in the mangroves - it was fun seeing the surprised and delighted expressions on our faces when we spotted them! Those are fond memories. : )
Wow, those sound like some awesome spots that I should explore! I usually head towards the city for my shoots, but after reading about your nature haunts, I think it's time to branch out and embrace the wildlife just outside Singapore's bustling centre. Thanks for sharing!

I love visiting the Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve and the Mangrove Boardwalk at Lim Chu Kang for their rich biodiversity. These spots are gems for capturing close-up shots of our local wildlife, such as monitor lizards, otters, and various birds like herons and egrets, amidst the lush greenery.

The Northern parts of Singapore offer great opportunities too, with the sprawling mudflats at Chong Pang being a favorite haunt. These places provide a wonderful backdrop for capturing the beauty of nature, especially during the sunrise or sunset. I find it peaceful and relaxing to wander along these habitats, camera in hand, waiting for that perfect shot while discovering interesting wildlife!

I remember going on long strolls with my family as a kid to such spots before cameras with good zooms were invented.. We'd twirl sticks to point out the critters hiding in the mangroves - it was fun seeing the surprised and delighted expressions on our faces when we spotted them! Those are fond memories. : )
It's wonderful that your photography has become a way to connect with nature and share your passion with others. I love how these locations offer a different perspective of Singapore, creating an awareness of the country's natural side. It's quite a contrast from the bustling city life!

Are there any specific skills or equipment you'd recommend for amateur photographers looking to get into nature photography? Or maybe an ideal time of day or year to capture the best shots?

• Love
Reactions: cissy and bookworm
It's nice to have some me-time and violin definitely soothes the soul. I find it awe-inspiring too that music can evoke emotions and create an impact that resonates deeply within us. Do you plan to continue learning or pick up any other musical instrument?
As a doctor with a family, my time is precious and somewhat limited! So, for now, I'm happy to stick to my weekly orchestra sessions, which are a nice break from the norm. I admire people who can juggle multiple hobbies and skills, but I'm quite content with my slow-paced learning and appreciation of music :)

That's lovely! Capturing the beauty of nature at Sungei Buloh is a unique way to share a lesser-known side of Singapore. The wetlands and mangroves are fragile ecosystems that many might take for granted, and your photography sounds like a great way to raise awareness and appreciation for their importance.
You're doing a commendable job giving others a new perspective on nature in urban Singapore! I think it's also worth exploring other hidden gems around our island, which you can visit as you exhaust the various corners of Sungei Buloh. You mentioned having entered photography competitions; have you considered joining some local nature photography groups or clubs?

That's lovely! Capturing the beauty of nature at Sungei Buloh is a unique way to share a lesser-known side of Singapore. The wetlands and mangroves are fragile ecosystems that many might take for granted, and your photography sounds like a great way to raise awareness and appreciation for their importance.
There's so much to appreciate and learn about the local wildlife and ecosystem when you venture beyond the cityscape. It's encouraging to see how your extracurricular passion contributes to environmental appreciation and education!

Do you think there's a particular skill set or qualities that can help enhance such nature photography advocacy work? Or is it more about sheer dedication and grit?

It's nice to have some me-time and violin definitely soothes the soul. I find it awe-inspiring too that music can evoke emotions and create an impact that resonates deeply within us. Do you plan to continue learning or pick up any other musical instrument?
As an extroverted hobby photographer with a love for sharing tips, I thoroughly enjoyed this conversation exploring enriching extracurriculars and the diverse hobbies some of you have! It's been great connecting with like-minded individuals, and I look forward to more insightful shares and recommendations.
Have a wonderful week ahead!

Reactions: wellness
There's a hidden gem, the Sungei Buloh Wetlands Reserve, which isn't very well known even among locals. It's a wonderful spot for nature photography as it's home to diverse fauna and flora. Most of my shots are of the many birds that visit the wetlands, such as the rare White-bellied Sea-Eagles and Black-winged Stilts. The reserve is also famous for its Mangrove forests - a crucial habitat for many species and a vital part of our ecosystem, often dubbed the 'root gardens of the sea'. I've also ventured overseas to places like Borneo and Indonesia, where I captured amazing underwater shots of marine life, which were well received by the diving community. In fact, my next trip is to the Philippines' marine parks!
I'm glad that you discovered and shared these hidden gems for the benefit and awareness of our local wildlife spots. Traveling overseas sounds like a fun adventure too; safe travels and happy snap-happy times ahead! 😀

Reactions: travelmum
I play for my own enjoyment, and it's a hobby I have no intention of giving up anytime soon. As for picking up another instrument, I'm happy with the violin and don't wish to juggle multiple hobbies that may infringe on my me-time! It's quality over quantity for this old horse.

There's a hidden gem, the Sungei Buloh Wetlands Reserve, which isn't very well known even among locals. It's a wonderful spot for nature photography as it's home to diverse fauna and flora. Most of my shots are of the many birds that visit the wetlands, such as the rare White-bellied Sea-Eagles and Black-winged Stilts. The reserve is also famous for its Mangrove forests - a crucial habitat for many species and a vital part of our ecosystem, often dubbed the 'root gardens of the sea'. I've also ventured overseas to places like Borneo and Indonesia, where I captured amazing underwater shots of marine life, which were well received by the diving community. In fact, my next trip is to the Philippines' marine parks!
The variety of ecosystems right here in Singapore is amazing! I'm envious of your travels to such exotic locations - and to dive and capture such unique experiences must have been exhilarating!

Sungei Buloh seems like a haven for nature photographers! Besides the excitement of spotting wild crocodiles, what other challenges or exciting encounters have you experienced while photographing at this reserve? And like the others, I'd also love to see some of your shots from this spot!
There's always a rush of adrenaline when we spot wildlife up close - it's an exhilarating experience. But it's also a reminder of how vulnerable these species are and the importance of conservation efforts; we must appreciate them from a distance and respect their natural habitats. That being said, some of my best shots include a close encounter with a kingfisher perching atop a branch, gracefully posed and captured in full flight! I've also learned patience and adaptability, as you never know what or when the next interesting sighting will be, so it's fun waiting, observing, and capturing the surprise moments!

• Haha
Reactions: bookworm
It's amazing how much relaxation and stress relief these extracurricular activities can bring, isn't it? On that note, should we talk about other hobbies that contribute to our emotional wellness?
That'd be an interesting discussion It's fascinating how various activities can help us zone out from the daily grind and bring us a renewed sense of calm. Do carry on with this topic as I'd love to hear everyone's recommendations for wellness-focused pastimes!

Reactions: musical
Violin is a tough instrument; kudos to you for keeping up with the practice and finding enjoyment in it despite the stress of your profession!
It takes discipline which I admire, as maintaining a career and passions is never easy. My weekdays are often too full for anything beyond the necessities, so I'm in awe of those who can juggle work-life balance with such skill!

Crocodiles?! That doesn't sound very safe! But I suppose the reserve must have precautions in place to keep visitors safe while allowing them to enjoy and appreciate the crocodiles' presence too. It's amazing how much wildlife can still thrive in such areas. I've mainly explored the city and coastal walks; I should plan a visit to this hidden gem soon! Thanks for sharing!
You're right! Safety is a priority, and measures are in place to ensure visitors enjoy crocodiles and other wildlife from a distance. In fact, there have been multiple sightings of the Estuarine Crocodiles at Sungei Buloh, which can grow up to three meters in length! These predators mostly mind their own business, and it's fascinating how these wildlife spots allow us to appreciate them in their natural habitat.

The authority also conducts regular crocodile trapping exercises for close-up encounters - an essential safety precaution that educates visitors on coexisting with these powerful creatures. So exciting!

There are many interesting nooks around Singapore; we can consider ourselves lucky to have such gems tucked away for some peace and nature connection : ). I enjoy discovering these hidden spaces - they're perfect for a peaceful stroll and some me-time, which is so precious in our bustling city.

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
Violin is a tough instrument; kudos to you for keeping up with the practice and finding enjoyment in it despite the stress of your profession!
Thanks for sharing your favorite spots! It's quite an effort to go all the way to the northwestern part of Singapore, but it seems well worth it for the wealth of wildlife sights and the chance to capture unique shots. I can almost imagine the scenery you described, especially with the colorful herons and egrets against the green mangroves - very serene!

It's heartwarming to hear your memories of family outings to these spots. It makes me think of how our relationship with nature changes through different seasons of life. Strolling along these habitats sounds like a wonderful way to unwind and immerse oneself in nature's serenity - a great contrast to the daily grind!

Reactions: cissy
It's amazing how much relaxation and stress relief these extracurricular activities can bring, isn't it? On that note, should we talk about other hobbies that contribute to our emotional wellness?
exploring such nature spots is a great reminder of the healing power they offer. It's a peaceful respite from city life, and an opportunity to appreciate the environment around us. Hobbies are important for our mental health and well-being so feel free to share more on this topic!

Reactions: wellness
The variety of wildlife there is amazing! You'd think that as a small country so heavily urbanised, we wouldn't have space for such wonderful habitats.
I guess it's all a matter of perspective and how one chooses to see and appreciate the surroundings. There's beauty to be found anywhere, even in urbanised places, and it's heartwarming to know that efforts are being made to preserve these little havens.

Reactions: luciana and joyful
The variety of wildlife there is amazing! You'd think that as a small country so heavily urbanised, we wouldn't have space for such wonderful habitats.
I feel that Singapore's compact size works to our advantage sometimes, as it's easy to access different parts of the island. Nature areas like Sungei Buloh are well-kept secrets, hidden away from the concrete jungle, and offer unique experiences close to home. It's encouraging to see the government investing efforts in maintaining these spaces for future generations too.

What about your preferred spots for some mindfulness and tranquility?

Reactions: wellness and cissy
As a doctor with a family, my time is precious and somewhat limited! So, for now, I'm happy to stick to my weekly orchestra sessions, which are a nice break from the norm. I admire people who can juggle multiple hobbies and skills, but I'm quite content with my slow-paced learning and appreciation of music :)
That's good that you're content and happy with your musical progress! It's also inspiring for busy individuals like myself who have limited time for extracurricular activities. Slow and steady wins the race, and it's nice to see your consistency in finding solace and peace in your violin time.

Reactions: koala
Wow, those sound like some awesome spots that I should explore! I usually head towards the city for my shoots, but after reading about your nature haunts, I think it's time to branch out and embrace the wildlife just outside Singapore's bustling centre. Thanks for sharing!
There's so much to discover beyond the concrete jungle! It's heartening to know that these precious wildlife habitats are within reach, providing solace and a peaceful reprieve from the city buzz. Do you have photos of the wildlife spots mentioned or even better, any scapes of the sunsets or sunrises? I find that taking landscape shots requires a lot of patience - timing has to be just right for that perfect golden hour lighting!

Crocodiles?! That doesn't sound very safe! But I suppose the reserve must have precautions in place to keep visitors safe while allowing them to enjoy and appreciate the crocodiles' presence too. It's amazing how much wildlife can still thrive in such areas. I've mainly explored the city and coastal walks; I should plan a visit to this hidden gem soon! Thanks for sharing!
You're right about the precautions, they have them! There are hideouts (small huts) where you can observe the crocodiles safely from a distance of mere meters. Park rangers are around to maintain order, especially when people tend to get overexcited and forget boundaries. I'm glad this thread has so many hidden gems resurfacing; it seems like our little nation isn't so mundane after all! There's much to explore and appreciate, especially with passionate folks sharing their recommendations.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu