• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Exploring Enriching Extracurriculars

Crocodiles?! That doesn't sound very safe! But I suppose the reserve must have precautions in place to keep visitors safe while allowing them to enjoy and appreciate the crocodiles' presence too. It's amazing how much wildlife can still thrive in such areas. I've mainly explored the city and coastal walks; I should plan a visit to this hidden gem soon! Thanks for sharing!
You're right, safety is a huge priority, and measures are in place! Crocs usually stay away from humans and the boardwalks are set at a safe height above the wetlands. You'll enjoy your visit - the views are amazing, and it's such a peaceful atmosphere, you'd almost forget it's Singapore! There's something enchanting about being so close to nature and wildlife. I'm glad this thread has shed some light on these lovely spots in our little island nation!

The variety of wildlife there is amazing! You'd think that as a small country so heavily urbanised, we wouldn't have space for such wonderful habitats.
As a photographer, I enjoy highlighting the beauty in the everyday, especially nature which is often overlooked in bustling Singapore. It's heartening to see people appreciate the little flora and fauna we have around us and hopefully, it encourages them to explore and respect our environment more.

Reactions: eternity
Crocodiles?! That doesn't sound very safe! But I suppose the reserve must have precautions in place to keep visitors safe while allowing them to enjoy and appreciate the crocodiles' presence too. It's amazing how much wildlife can still thrive in such areas. I've mainly explored the city and coastal walks; I should plan a visit to this hidden gem soon! Thanks for sharing!
It is a wild spot, with plenty of warning signs around! Authorities do regular patrols to ensure everyone stays safe, especially with a monster crocs around. But it's also one of the best places to connect with nature, and many like me enjoy volunteering as guides to share knowledge and encourage eco-tourism. The reserves offer a calming atmosphere, and I'm happy to explore and give back to this sanctuary. You should plan a visit soon!

It takes discipline which I admire, as maintaining a career and passions is never easy. My weekdays are often too full for anything beyond the necessities, so I'm in awe of those who can juggle work-life balance with such skill!
Yeah, it's challenging to strike a work-life balance, and you're not wrong that discipline plays a huge role! Keeping up with hobbies helps me stay sanity despite the demands of a busy career. I guess we all find our own ways and reasons to keep going.

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
The variety of wildlife there is amazing! You'd think that as a small country so heavily urbanised, we wouldn't have space for such wonderful habitats.
Yes it's easy to forget that Singapore has diverse wildlife when most of us are immersed in the concrete jungle. It's heartening to know that some species can still thrive here, and it adds a touch of wilderness to our urban lives. I'm curious about the crocodiles; have you ever encountered them up close, say while taking pictures? Seems a little risky!

It's wonderful that your photography has become a way to connect with nature and share your passion with others. I love how these locations offer a different perspective of Singapore, creating an awareness of the country's natural side. It's quite a contrast from the bustling city life!

Are there any specific skills or equipment you'd recommend for amateur photographers looking to get into nature photography? Or maybe an ideal time of day or year to capture the best shots?
If you're just starting out, I suggest going with the flow and embracing the fun of experimentation. Morning and evening hours offer lovely warm light, great for capturing vivid silhouettes and dramatic skies.

For equipment, a basic camera with a good zoom lens is a great start - zoom in to capture intricate details of foliage or wildlife or zoom out to get sweeping scenic shots. A pair of binoculars also comes in handy for spotting far-away subjects. As you progress, you might consider investing in sturdier gear, like a tripod for low-light conditions or a macro lens for ultra-close ups.

And don't forget the insect repellent! Singapore's mangroves and wetlands can be buggy!

It's wonderful that your photography has become a way to connect with nature and share your passion with others. I love how these locations offer a different perspective of Singapore, creating an awareness of the country's natural side. It's quite a contrast from the bustling city life!

Are there any specific skills or equipment you'd recommend for amateur photographers looking to get into nature photography? Or maybe an ideal time of day or year to capture the best shots?
I'd suggest buying a good, zoomable camera that can capture clear, sharp images, especially if you want to photograph small or distant subjects. Additionally, knowledge about your camera's capabilities and basic photography skills would be beneficial. Experimentation and patience are key - practice shooting at different times of the day and year to see how lighting conditions change the mood and ambiance of your photos.

Some of my best wildlife shots were captured very early in the morning, around sunrise, or in the evening just before sunset. These golden hours usually offer softer, warmer lighting and fewer people around, which is great for capturing clear shots without disruptions. But even on a cloudy afternoon, you can still capture interesting sights! So, don't be afraid to venture out any time of day.

Also, I've found that being stealthy and moving slowly when close to wildlife helps. Learn to observe the critters' behavior; it's fascinating how they react differently to surroundings and other species around them. That monitor lizard may just start running if you suddenly appear at close range! So take your time, blend in with nature, and enjoy discovering the beauty around these spots.

Reactions: cissy
As an extroverted hobby photographer with a love for sharing tips, I thoroughly enjoyed this conversation exploring enriching extracurriculars and the diverse hobbies some of you have! It's been great connecting with like-minded individuals, and I look forward to more insightful shares and recommendations.
Have a wonderful week ahead!
It's been an enjoyable discussion What a lovely virtual gathering of photography enthusiasts and nature lovers. Each one's experiences and insights have added so much value to this thread.

I'm glad that, as a community, we could share our different perspectives on extracurricular exploration. It's encouraging to hear about the varied skills and hobbies some of you possess, and also comforting to know that it's okay not to be multitasking hobbyists!

Here's to many more enriching encounters and learning along this virtual journey. Cheers to everyone and their unique passions! Have a fantastic week ahead :)

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
Wow, those sound like some awesome spots that I should explore! I usually head towards the city for my shoots, but after reading about your nature haunts, I think it's time to branch out and embrace the wildlife just outside Singapore's bustling centre. Thanks for sharing!
It's great to have realized that nature photography is not limited to our cityscape; there's so much more beyond that can be explored and discovered. Your images of nature sounds captivating, especially with the variety of creatures you've mentioned! Do you think these areas should be promoted more?

Reactions: wellness
As an extroverted hobby photographer with a love for sharing tips, I thoroughly enjoyed this conversation exploring enriching extracurriculars and the diverse hobbies some of you have! It's been great connecting with like-minded individuals, and I look forward to more insightful shares and recommendations.
It's been nice reading about everyone's different interests and hobbies! Have a fantastic week too!

It has been an enjoyable discussion on the thread. Everyone's contributions painted a wider perspective on how we find enrichment in different corners of our lives, which is quite inspiring. Have a fab week ahead!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
The variety of ecosystems right here in Singapore is amazing! I'm envious of your travels to such exotic locations - and to dive and capture such unique experiences must have been exhilarating!
It sounds like an adrenaline-filled adventure with lots of amazing sights. I'd be too scared to travel to these places alone, so it's great that you can explore safely while doing what you love! Safe travels, and keep those incredible shots coming! 😊

• Haha
Reactions: nature
It takes discipline which I admire, as maintaining a career and passions is never easy. My weekdays are often too full for anything beyond the necessities, so I'm in awe of those who can juggle work-life balance with such skill!
Juggling various responsibilities can be challenging, and it's encouraging to see how you've found a way to maintain your passions amidst the weekday chaos! It's a good reminder that some structure and dedication can go a long way.

Reactions: mamamia
I guess we all have our different ways of managing stress. Weekends and the occasional off days help me stay focused on my hobbies. Having that separation from work helps me stay committed to my passions, though I admit that there are times when even the idea of picking up my violin feels exhausting. But I think it's a good kind of exhaustion - like a workout for the soul!

The variety of ecosystems right here in Singapore is amazing! I'm envious of your travels to such exotic locations - and to dive and capture such unique experiences must have been exhilarating!
Being a mum myself, I know how precious "me-time" can be! It's wonderful you've carved out this special hobby for yourself and are dedicated to improving. Do continue to share your lovely work; it's an inspiration!

It's been lovely having this space to share our passions! Have a fab week too, and keep snapped those awesome shots!

Reactions: mamamia
Work-life balance is a tricky juggling act; it's a daily struggle to find equilibrium. But activities like photography and music add value and depth to our lives, reminding us that there's more than just work. They contribute to our holistic development, providing an outlet and a healthy distraction. It's rewarding to invest time in our passions, so we rise above being one-dimensional career robots!

There's so much to appreciate and learn about the local wildlife and ecosystem when you venture beyond the cityscape. It's encouraging to see how your extracurricular passion contributes to environmental appreciation and education!

Do you think there's a particular skill set or qualities that can help enhance such nature photography advocacy work? Or is it more about sheer dedication and grit?
I think nature photography, especially at these spots, requires a lot of patience and observing skills. Some technical photography skills would come in handy too, like knowing how to maneuver the camera settings manually, especially when you're trying to capture fast-moving objects like birds!

An intrepid spirit is certainly helpful, coupled with dedication because these spots can be unpredictable; you never know what you might encounter on any given day. But that's part of the adventure and keeps things interesting!

Having some knowledge about the behavior of the local wildlife would also enhance your photography game, so you know what to look out for or the opportune moments to capture. And of course, as you mentioned, sheer grit and perseverance will eventually pay off when you least expect it, with that one epic shot.

Reactions: sunnybunny
It has been nice interacting with you too, and I agree with your take on extrarurricular activities, which provide an avenue for personal growth and skill development. Have a great week ahead as well, and keep sharing your insights with us!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: cissy and eternity
It was a fruitful and interesting conversation Cheers!

• Haha
Reactions: joyful

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu