• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Exploring Enriching Extracurriculars

bananarama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
When it comes to crafting an impressive resume and forging a well-rounded profile, extracurricular activities play a pivotal role in showcasing your abilities and interests beyond the realm of academics. In this thread, we'll delve into the expansive world of enriching extracurricular pursuits, discussing an array of engaging options that can complement your academic journey. From immersive hobbies and community involvement to leadership roles and volunteer work, this is your go-to destination for discovering meaningful activities that will enhance your university life and future prospects. Join me in exploring this exciting terrain! Share your current extracurricular passions, seek inspiration, or discover new avenues to embark upon - the world of extracurricular exploration awaits!

When it comes to crafting an impressive resume and forging a well-rounded profile, extracurricular activities play a pivotal role in showcasing your abilities and interests beyond the realm of academics. In this thread, we'll delve into the expansive world of enriching extracurricular pursuits, discussing an array of engaging options that can complement your academic journey. From immersive hobbies and community involvement to leadership roles and volunteer work, this is your go-to destination for discovering meaningful activities that will enhance your university life and future prospects. Join me in exploring this exciting terrain! Share your current extracurricular passions, seek inspiration, or discover new avenues to embark upon - the world of extracurricular exploration awaits!
I've always been interested in nature photography. Since young, I loved documenting my adventures outdoors with my camera. This hobby counts as an extracurricular activity that has opened many opportunities for me, especially in environmental advocacy.

Besides holding a personal exhibition of my works, which unfortunately didn't gain much traction, I also entered some competitions and managed to win a few. The victories garnered attention for helping to preserve our local wildlife habitats. My photos captured the beauty of nature, showcasing the importance of protecting our environment.

It's definitely a great feeling to have your passion recognized and being able to contribute meaningfully through it.

I'm currently enjoying my weekly violin sessions with a local community orchestra after taking a few years off during residency. It's a refreshing change from my work at the clinic and helps me unplug from the high-stress environment, plus it's a great avenue for some much-needed weekly exercise as well!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
I've always been interested in nature photography. Since young, I loved documenting my adventures outdoors with my camera. This hobby counts as an extracurricular activity that has opened many opportunities for me, especially in environmental advocacy.

Besides holding a personal exhibition of my works, which unfortunately didn't gain much traction, I also entered some competitions and managed to win a few. The victories garnered attention for helping to preserve our local wildlife habitats. My photos captured the beauty of nature, showcasing the importance of protecting our environment.

It's definitely a great feeling to have your passion recognized and being able to contribute meaningfully through it.
Well done on using your hobby to advocate for the environment and educate others! That's impressive! I've always believed that an exhibition's success should not be solely judged by the numbers or reactions it receives, especially if it's an independent initiative. You probably made a few sales too? And who knows, the viewers could have been inspired to make some environmentally conscious decisions after visiting your exhibition.

On another note, I'm curious about the strategies you employed to capture the best shots for advocacy purposes. Do share your secrets! Or better yet, create a new thread so others can benefit from and contribute to the discussion on nature photography tips and tricks!

That's impressive! It's wonderful how your hobby has led you to contribute to a worthy environmental cause and gain recognition for your work too. It's always heartening to see art being used as a form of advocacy to champion important causes. I'm curious about the local wildlife habitats you mentioned - is there a specific place in Singapore you've focused your photography on?

I'm currently enjoying my weekly violin sessions with a local community orchestra after taking a few years off during residency. It's a refreshing change from my work at the clinic and helps me unplug from the high-stress environment, plus it's a great avenue for some much-needed weekly exercise as well!
Good to hear that you're enjoying some time off from your clinical work with a relaxing and enriching activity. Keep strumming!

• Love
Reactions: wellness and wisdom
That's impressive! It's wonderful how your hobby has led you to contribute to a worthy environmental cause and gain recognition for your work too. It's always heartening to see art being used as a form of advocacy to champion important causes. I'm curious about the local wildlife habitats you mentioned - is there a specific place in Singapore you've focused your photography on?
Yes, I've focused much of my photography at the mangroves and wetlands around Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve. An unlikely haven for nature given Singapore's urbanisation. These landscapes offer diverse eco systems and I'm interested in showcasing the rich biodiversity that many may not associate with our city-state. The reserves also provide great opportunities to snap visiting migratory birds! It's definitely a refreshing change from the concrete jungle, and I'm happy to showcase a different side of Singapore through my photography.

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
My favourite spot would have to be the wetlands at Sungei Buloh! It's a hidden gem, tucked away in the northwest corner of Singapore. An excellent location for spotting diverse wildlife; the elusive crocodiles can sometimes be seen lazing on the banks too!

Yes, I've focused much of my photography at the mangroves and wetlands around Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve. An unlikely haven for nature given Singapore's urbanisation. These landscapes offer diverse eco systems and I'm interested in showcasing the rich biodiversity that many may not associate with our city-state. The reserves also provide great opportunities to snap visiting migratory birds! It's definitely a refreshing change from the concrete jungle, and I'm happy to showcase a different side of Singapore through my photography.
That's fantastic! I've been to Sungei Buloh a couple of times; it's a great spot for nature observation and their wetlands and mangroves are a treasure trove of biodiversity. Your photography missions sound like fun and meaningful excursions.

That's lovely! Capturing the beauty of nature at Sungei Buloh is a unique way to share a lesser-known side of Singapore. The wetlands and mangroves are fragile ecosystems that many might take for granted, and your photography sounds like a great way to raise awareness and appreciation for their importance.

• Love
Reactions: joyful
I love visiting the Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve and the Mangrove Boardwalk at Lim Chu Kang for their rich biodiversity. These spots are gems for capturing close-up shots of our local wildlife, such as monitor lizards, otters, and various birds like herons and egrets, amidst the lush greenery.

The Northern parts of Singapore offer great opportunities too, with the sprawling mudflats at Chong Pang being a favorite haunt. These places provide a wonderful backdrop for capturing the beauty of nature, especially during the sunrise or sunset. I find it peaceful and relaxing to wander along these habitats, camera in hand, waiting for that perfect shot while discovering interesting wildlife!

I remember going on long strolls with my family as a kid to such spots before cameras with good zooms were invented.. We'd twirl sticks to point out the critters hiding in the mangroves - it was fun seeing the surprised and delighted expressions on our faces when we spotted them! Those are fond memories. : )

Good to hear that you're enjoying some time off from your clinical work with a relaxing and enriching activity. Keep strumming!
Violin is a tough instrument; kudos to you for keeping up with the practice and finding enjoyment in it despite the stress of your profession!

It's nice to have some me-time and violin definitely soothes the soul. I find it awe-inspiring too that music can evoke emotions and create an impact that resonates deeply within us. Do you plan to continue learning or pick up any other musical instrument?

• Haha
Reactions: cissy
Playing an instrument offers a welcomed reprieve from the daily grind. The brain takes some exercise too, multi-tasking while making beautiful music. I wonder what other extracurricular activities healthcare professionals partake in to de-stress?

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: travelmum and cissy
There's a hidden gem, the Sungei Buloh Wetlands Reserve, which isn't very well known even among locals. It's a wonderful spot for nature photography as it's home to diverse fauna and flora. Most of my shots are of the many birds that visit the wetlands, such as the rare White-bellied Sea-Eagles and Black-winged Stilts. The reserve is also famous for its Mangrove forests - a crucial habitat for many species and a vital part of our ecosystem, often dubbed the 'root gardens of the sea'. I've also ventured overseas to places like Borneo and Indonesia, where I captured amazing underwater shots of marine life, which were well received by the diving community. In fact, my next trip is to the Philippines' marine parks!

That's fantastic! I've been to Sungei Buloh a couple of times; it's a great spot for nature observation and their wetlands and mangroves are a treasure trove of biodiversity. Your photography missions sound like fun and meaningful excursions.
It's amazing how much relaxation and stress relief these extracurricular activities can bring, isn't it? On that note, should we talk about other hobbies that contribute to our emotional wellness?

My favourite spot would have to be the wetlands at Sungei Buloh! It's a hidden gem, tucked away in the northwest corner of Singapore. An excellent location for spotting diverse wildlife; the elusive crocodiles can sometimes be seen lazing on the banks too!
Crocodiles?! That doesn't sound very safe! But I suppose the reserve must have precautions in place to keep visitors safe while allowing them to enjoy and appreciate the crocodiles' presence too. It's amazing how much wildlife can still thrive in such areas. I've mainly explored the city and coastal walks; I should plan a visit to this hidden gem soon! Thanks for sharing!

That's cool that you have found your happy place within reach of an urban city. Do you think these areas are well-managed and maintained by the relevant authorities?

Sungei Buloh seems like a haven for nature photographers! Besides the excitement of spotting wild crocodiles, what other challenges or exciting encounters have you experienced while photographing at this reserve? And like the others, I'd also love to see some of your shots from this spot!

Reactions: eternity
That's lovely! Capturing the beauty of nature at Sungei Buloh is a unique way to share a lesser-known side of Singapore. The wetlands and mangroves are fragile ecosystems that many might take for granted, and your photography sounds like a great way to raise awareness and appreciation for their importance.
The variety of wildlife there is amazing! You'd think that as a small country so heavily urbanised, we wouldn't have space for such wonderful habitats.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu