• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

What to feed the little ones?

You're spot on! Toddlerhood is a whole new ballgame when it comes to feeding. They're increasingly independent, which makes mealtimes interesting! The word on every parent's mind: "picky eaters."

It's helpful to remember that this phase often coincides with developmental leaps, so their enthusiasm for new foods might wane as they focus on other areas of development. Offering a varied diet and exposing them to different tastes and textures is key, even if they only sample a little.

For parents concerned about nutrition, I suggest sneaking in nutritious elements subtly. For example, pureeing cauliflower and broccoli into a smooth paste and adding it to Mac and Cheese is a tasty way to boost the nutritional value of their favorite comfort food. Or, adding blended fruits or veggies to homemade smoothies could sweeten the deal for fussy eaters by making it a fun treat!

What other challenges have parents faced with their toddlers? I find that having some tricks up your sleeve can make meal times less stressful!
Some toddlers experience feedings strikes and outright refuse any new food. As parents, we've had to learn to be creative when introducing or offering alternatives. My go-to trick is to make it fun by using cute animals or characters as a theme! For example, creating hamster cheeks with cherry tomatoes halved widthwise and using cucumber slices as the eyes and mouth, or making little octopus hotdogs - eight tentacles and two rounds for the eyes with a drizzle of mustard - anything to spark their interest and imagination.

It'd be fun to hear about more creative ways other parents encourage their toddlers to eat!

You're spot on! Toddlerhood is a whole new ballgame when it comes to feeding. They're increasingly independent, which makes mealtimes interesting! The word on every parent's mind: "picky eaters."

It's helpful to remember that this phase often coincides with developmental leaps, so their enthusiasm for new foods might wane as they focus on other areas of development. Offering a varied diet and exposing them to different tastes and textures is key, even if they only sample a little.

For parents concerned about nutrition, I suggest sneaking in nutritious elements subtly. For example, pureeing cauliflower and broccoli into a smooth paste and adding it to Mac and Cheese is a tasty way to boost the nutritional value of their favorite comfort food. Or, adding blended fruits or veggies to homemade smoothies could sweeten the deal for fussy eaters by making it a fun treat!

What other challenges have parents faced with their toddlers? I find that having some tricks up your sleeve can make meal times less stressful!
I totally understand where you are coming from! My toddler, who used to eat anything and everything, has recently turned into a picky eater, leaving me stressed about his dietary intake. He seems to sense my worries and refuses to eat anything beyond his newly developed favorite foods.

I've noticed that keeping meal times relaxed helps encourage him to explore different tastes. Creating an enjoyable dining experience with fun meals - like letting him eat with his fingers when we're outdoors - somehow makes him more receptive to trying new foods! It's a relief when he occasionally surprises me by finishing an entire serving of something new, showing that the phase does pass!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu