• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

What to feed the little ones?

Good to know there are other parents who find joy in this challenging phase!

I've found that kids, especially those around 4 years old, are notoriously difficult to please when it comes to food. They tend to enjoy sweet and delicious treats and shun healthy but boring meals. I tell other parents to prioritize and hide nutritious foods, like pureed carrots in spaghetti sauce or extra virgin olive oil in chocolate milkshakes for that added nutritional boost without compromising taste.
You're spot on about hiding the good stuff! Purees are a clever way to add nutrients stealthily. Carrots, beets, and squashes offer a great natural sweetness too, which helps sell the disguise! I've also found success with adding some cocoa powder to smoothies - a sneaky way to get some vitamins in that tasty treat! And you're right; it's so tricky with kids this age because their tastes change so quickly! It can feel like a full-time job keeping up with their eating moods!

Good to know there are other parents who find joy in this challenging phase!

I've found that kids, especially those around 4 years old, are notoriously difficult to please when it comes to food. They tend to enjoy sweet and delicious treats and shun healthy but boring meals. I tell other parents to prioritize and hide nutritious foods, like pureed carrots in spaghetti sauce or extra virgin olive oil in chocolate milkshakes for that added nutritional boost without compromising taste.
You're right about the difficulties of pleasing young ones when it comes to food! The tips you've shared are spot on. Hiding healthy ingredients in kid-friendly favorites is a clever way to ensure they get sufficient nutrition. I've also found that involving children in cooking can help them appreciate the effort behind mealtimes and perhaps encourage them to explore new tastes. However, this might only apply to older toddlers, around the 3+ age group. Do you have any other recommendations for those four-year milestones?

That's some good generic advice you've shared!

In my experience, dealing with a picky eater is a challenge many parents face, and it can be daunting to come up with imaginative ways to nourish our little ones. I'll chime in when I have some personal insights to share, but do feel free to spill the details of your struggles; someone might just have an ingenious solution!
As a parent, mealtime can be a stressful affair because of the constant worry about whether our children are getting enough nourishment. It's heartening to see other parents here sharing their experiences and offering clever solutions to help each other. I think every parent has been through some form of food wars with their little ones! I find that making eating together a special occasion might just work some magic too. Dressing up the dinner table, putting on some music, or eating by candlelight (supervised, of course) can make the experience more memorable and enjoyable for our mini-me's, perhaps motivating them to take an extra bite! It's worth a shot and could be fun for the entire family!

My son is in the stage where he's picky about food. He turns four next month, so dealing with a lot of no's recently. He loved rice and would slurp bowls of ramen noodles but rejects most meat and veggies :'( It's a battle to get him to eat anything substantial. He survives mostly on fruit and milk these days, which doesn't seem very nutritious :/
I feel your pain! My daughter went through a phase like that too, where every mealtime was a struggle. What worked for us was involving her in preparing the meals. She was in charge of picking the veggies, washing them (with supervision), and making sure they were cut to her liking. The pride she felt in contributing made her more open to eating the fruits (pun intended!) of her labour.

My little one is going through a fussy phase at 2 and a half. She's never been a great eater, but it's gotten harder now that she's older and more opinionated. She fills up mainly on milk and snacks like crackers and fruits throughout the day. Meal times are difficult because she doesn't seem hungry, and it's often a struggle to get her to eat anything substantial. I'm concerned that she isn't getting enough nutrients and calories. I try to offer a balanced spread for meals, including proteins, carbs, and veggies, but she often only eats around the vegetables, leaving the best parts behind!
I can relate to your struggle! It's frustrating when all they seem to want are snacks instead of proper meals, and it's worrying when you're unsure if they get sufficient nutrients.

Some moms I know swear by the stealth method, pureeing ingredients like cauliflower or carrots and sneaking them into dishes like fried rice or pasta sauce. That way, the dishes are tasty and nutritious too! Also, involving your little one in preparing the meals can help encourage her to eat; it's a fun activity and exposes her to different foods.

For some kids, making eating into a game can help too. You could try the "clean plate challenge" or create fun names and stories behind each food item. It may also be worthwhile to introduce a reward system, which encourages them to finish their meals. Ensure you don't push her too much, though; eating should be a positive experience!

Keep us posted if you've discovered any effective strategies; we can use all the help we can get!

My little one is going through a fussy phase at 2 and a half. She's never been a great eater, but it's gotten harder now that she's older and more opinionated. She fills up mainly on milk and snacks like crackers and fruits throughout the day. Meal times are difficult because she doesn't seem hungry, and it's often a struggle to get her to eat anything substantial. I'm concerned that she isn't getting enough nutrients and calories. I try to offer a balanced spread for meals, including proteins, carbs, and veggies, but she often only eats around the vegetables, leaving the best parts behind!
It's frustrating when our efforts to feed our kids healthy foods are met with resistance! It's a common struggle, but that makes it no less challenging.

Some toddlers go through stages where they seem to live on snacks alone. It can be concerning when they don't seem hungry at mealtimes, leaving us worried about their nutritional intake. You're doing the right thing by offering a variety of foods - it's great that you incorporate all the food groups. Perhaps a change in tactics could help?

Instead of focusing on one big meal, could you offer her smaller, frequent meals or snacks? Perhaps she'd be more receptive to eating if it wasn't a formal sit-down affair but rather a fun, casual eating experience. You could also involve her in preparing the food; kids often feel more inclined to eat something they've helped make.

You mentioned she likes crackers - could you elaborate on her favorite foods? There might be an opportunity to sneak in some nutritious ingredients into her favorites. Some blended veggies or pureed fruits could add some nutritional value to her snacks without compromising the taste too much!

It's a tricky stage, but I'm sure other parents will have some fantastic solutions!

My five-year-old has lately developed a taste for spicy food, of all things! She seems to enjoy snacking throughout the day and will graze like a goat if given the opportunity. Keeping her interested in nutritious foods is a challenge, as she can be picky sometimes and has an active lifestyle, so I'm keen on keeping her energized and healthy. So many snacks in the market are either unhealthy or just not interesting enough for her palate these days!
I've been thinking of new, exciting ways to keep her meals and snacks varied and fun without relying too much on processed foods, which she seems to tire of quickly.
Well my spicy little eater! Many kids go through phases of food preferences - one week they love carbs, the next week it's all about proteins. It certainly keeps us on our toes!

For a fun and healthy kick, why not introduce some authentic, kid-friendly international foods? Think Mexican tacos or Korean BBQ wraps! Get some colorful plates and let her assemble her own meals. If you're up for an adventure, explore Indian cooking with some mild, creamy curry dishes - the aromas might tantalize her taste buds and engage her senses.

Alternatively, go on a fun shopping trip together and let her choose some new, exotic fruits or interesting veggies to try. You could make it into a little ceremony - chop, wash and cook them together while you chat about the flavors and smells, making it a sensory experience. Who knows, your tiny food critic might just be encouraged by all the fuss!

Also, don't underestimate the power of good ol' home cooking with a twist. Give her favorite dishes a nutty or fruity upgrade - she might like her chicken nuggets in a whole new way if they're topped with pine nuts and cranberries!

And for a cool, refreshing snack, blend some icy fruit smoothies - surely a winner on hot days, and a fun break from the mundane. You can even freeze some yogurt and fruit into popsicle molds for a healthy frozen treat. Happy cooking, and keep us posted on any tasty victories!

It can be frustrating when our children are selective eaters, especially when they seem satisfied with an unbalanced diet of snacks! Your struggle is relatable to many parents here, including myself. Getting creative in the kitchen and keeping mealtimes enjoyable seems to be a common denominator in our situation.

From my experience, introducing different textures and flavours early on can help toddler's accept variety in their meals. It exposes them to different tastes and develops their appetite for diverse foods. Perhaps it's not too late to experiment with different foods and cooking styles to pique her interest!

Also, keeping meal times relaxed and enjoyable could help. I make it a point to have my children eat with us at the table, engaging in casual conversation and laughter (not an easy feat, given our busy schedules!). Making mealtimes fun, perhaps with stories or songs, might encourage a better relationship with food and bring a new dynamic to her eating habits.

Maybe some other parent has come across a clever tactic to improve their picky eater's appetite. It'd be encouraging to hear!

My five-year-old has lately developed a taste for spicy food, of all things! She seems to enjoy snacking throughout the day and will graze like a goat if given the opportunity. Keeping her interested in nutritious foods is a challenge, as she can be picky sometimes and has an active lifestyle, so I'm keen on keeping her energized and healthy. So many snacks in the market are either unhealthy or just not interesting enough for her palate these days!
I've been thinking of new, exciting ways to keep her meals and snacks varied and fun without relying too much on processed foods, which she seems to tire of quickly.
It's tricky when our little ones go through phases of picky eating! The curiosity and energy of growing toddlers often make them graze more than sit down for proper meals. Here are some quick, spicy snacks your five-year old might enjoy that also pack some nutrition:

- Spicy fruit salsa with tortilla chips or sliced vegetables like bell peppers, cucumbers, or carrot sticks. The spiciness comes from the salsa, a fun change from the usual sweet treats and a good entry into spicier foods.

- BBQ spices with corn on the cob or crispy roasted potatoes. A mild kick with some healthy fats and carbohydrates might satisfy her taste buds and keep her full too.

- Indian spiced lentil fries have a nice kick of spice and are a great source of plant-based protein and fiber, which might tickle her palate and keep her satisfied for longer than usual.

Keep the spices coming and introduce new herbs and flavors often to stimulate that palate! You could also involve her in preparing these snacks so she feels some ownership over the process - children are more likely to eat foods they've helped prepare.

You're absolutely right; each stage of childhood comes with its own feeding challenges! I've found that it can get tricky when they hit the toddler phase - this is the new and present challenge that I'm facing with my child. He seems to develop a mind of his own, and every meal is an opportunity for negotiation! gone are the days when he'd happily gobble up whatever we feed him. Now he has very definite ideas about what he likes and doesn't like, which makes meal planning challenging because meals need to be interesting enough for him or else he won't touch them!
the toddlers' stage is a whole new ball game , and negotiating with them can be tricky! I've learned that allowing my toddler some autonomy over mealtime choices helps. I'd present two or three healthy options and let him decide, which helps motivate him to eat his pick. It empowers them somehow and keeps the peace because they feel involved! Also, toddler-sized utensils and dishes seem to help too; mine was more inclined to use his tiny fork than ours, which seemed to make meal times more fun for him.

You're right; it's quite common for kids to want exciting, tasty food because they tire quickly of the same old stuff. Spicy food at five sounds like an adventure!

For a fun and nutritious snack, why not make your own spicy salsa with tomatoes, onions, coriander/cilantro, and a kick of jalapeno pepper? It's easy to prepare and goes well with tortilla chips or as a dip for raw veggies like carrots and celery. You can even blend it smoother if she prefers that texture; it's delicious! This way, she gets a healthy kick of vitamins and a snack that's exciting enough for her adventurous palate.

I find that involving kids in preparing snacks adds to the excitement of eating them, so maybe let her join you in the kitchen, which might encourage healthier eating too.

It's refreshing to hear about your five-year-old's adventurous taste buds! It can be a challenge to keep up with their changing palates and preferences, especially when they develop a sudden liking for specific tastes like spiciness!

Perhaps some homemade spicy potato wedges or sweet potato crisps might be a nutritious and tasty treat? You could also introduce her to some age-appropriate spicy dishes from various cuisines and cultures, like Indian dhal with a mild kick or even some Asian ramen with a dash of chili oil on the side for an exciting culinary experience.

You're absolutely right; each stage of childhood comes with its own feeding challenges! I've found that it can get tricky when they hit the toddler phase - this is the new and present challenge that I'm facing with my child. He seems to develop a mind of his own, and every meal is an opportunity for negotiation! gone are the days when he'd happily gobble up whatever we feed him. Now he has very definite ideas about what he likes and doesn't like, which makes meal planning challenging because meals need to be interesting enough for him or else he won't touch them!
I think many parents face the same situation, where toddlers exert their newfound autonomy by being picky about food, often choosing junky snacks over nutritious meals. It's a difficult phase because we want to respect their emerging independence yet ensure they eat healthily. Finding that balance is tough!

You've hit the nail on the head with that description; it's like my son and I have swapped roles! I used to plan his meals, and now he's the boss who lays down his demands. His taste buds seem so finicky that nothing seems appealing enough :/ The situation you described sounds familiar, so many kids might be able to relate and offer some funny anecdotes!

You're spot on about the tricky eating phases many toddlers go through! The lack of interest in food or偏食 (picky eating) can be a real challenge. Many singaporean toddlers also tend to eat mostly carbohydrates; it's a common sight to see them surviving mainly on bread and milk. It's certainly a phase that often passes, but leaving parents stressed in the meantime!

Some simple ways to coax them into eating healthier include getting them involved in preparing meals. Letting them help with simple tasks like rinsing beans or mixing ingredients can make them feel more engaged and encouraged to eat. For snack ideas, freezing chopped fruits like bananas, berries, or even yogurt in ice cube trays is a fun treat that's healthy too. Toddlers will love the effort of taking them out of the tray and it's a great alternative to sugar-filled snacks.

These might not be groundbreaking solutions, but they worked for my picky eater! It'd be interesting to hear other parents' experiences and any unique ways they've coped.
allowing children to be involved in food preparation is a great tactic many may not think of! It not only distracts them but also makes mealtime more engaging and enjoyable for the little ones.

Another simple strategy could be changing up the meal presentation by using quirky-shaped plates or cutlery, making it fun to eat. Or, you could introduce a theme night - like "Space Adventure Dinner" or a pirate-themed meal - to make dining a more immersive experience. A friend did this and claimed that mealtime became significantly less stressful after adding some zing to the dining table!

Some parents might already do these, but I think it'll be wonderful if we could compile a list of strategies to deal with picky eaters!

You're spot on about the tricky eating phases many toddlers go through! The lack of interest in food or偏食 (picky eating) can be a real challenge. Many singaporean toddlers also tend to eat mostly carbohydrates; it's a common sight to see them surviving mainly on bread and milk. It's certainly a phase that often passes, but leaving parents stressed in the meantime!

Some simple ways to coax them into eating healthier include getting them involved in preparing meals. Letting them help with simple tasks like rinsing beans or mixing ingredients can make them feel more engaged and encouraged to eat. For snack ideas, freezing chopped fruits like bananas, berries, or even yogurt in ice cube trays is a fun treat that's healthy too. Toddlers will love the effort of taking them out of the tray and it's a great alternative to sugar-filled snacks.

These might not be groundbreaking solutions, but they worked for my picky eater! It'd be interesting to hear other parents' experiences and any unique ways they've coped.
letting the little ones help with food preparation has always been an interesting strategy that keeps their enthusiasm up for eating too. The joy of independence in creating something encourages them to at least give the food a try!

Some of the healthy foods which could be tot-friendly might include roasted edamame, mini tomatoes or even homemade chicken nuggets made with real meat and fewer breadcrusts. These are some snacks my son enjoys eating without realizing they're good for him.

On days you need a break from cooking, what would be some convenient, healthy snacks off the shelf that you'd grab for your picky toddlers? It's always good to stock up on those!

allowing them to help prepare the meals is a great trick! I'm glad you brought that up. It's also reassuring to know that this phase will eventually pass (I hope!). Thanks for the snack idea too - I'd love to hear other simple, healthy options that parents have found successful with their little ones!

You're spot on! Toddlerhood is a whole new ballgame when it comes to feeding. They're increasingly independent, which makes mealtimes interesting! The word on every parent's mind: "picky eaters."

It's helpful to remember that this phase often coincides with developmental leaps, so their enthusiasm for new foods might wane as they focus on other areas of development. Offering a varied diet and exposing them to different tastes and textures is key, even if they only sample a little.

For parents concerned about nutrition, I suggest sneaking in nutritious elements subtly. For example, pureeing cauliflower and broccoli into a smooth paste and adding it to Mac and Cheese is a tasty way to boost the nutritional value of their favorite comfort food. Or, adding blended fruits or veggies to homemade smoothies could sweeten the deal for fussy eaters by making it a fun treat!

What other challenges have parents faced with their toddlers? I find that having some tricks up your sleeve can make meal times less stressful!
That's an ingenious way to feed our little ones some much-needed nutrients, especially when they're at such a crucial growth stage! My kiddo went through a phase of refusing anything green or "spicy" (he equates any slightly pungent food with spiciness), so I had to get creative. Smoothies became a life saver - loading up on spinach and even carrots became a cinch, and making it a fun activity with lots of blender noises made it more appealing. Hiding veggies in pasta sauces or soups also helped, and making "rainbow" meals exciting with colorful fruits and veggies seemed to work too! Now, he's older and much less fussy, so I tell myself those tricky days were worth the effort! 😅

You're spot on! Toddlerhood is a whole new ballgame when it comes to feeding. They're increasingly independent, which makes mealtimes interesting! The word on every parent's mind: "picky eaters."

It's helpful to remember that this phase often coincides with developmental leaps, so their enthusiasm for new foods might wane as they focus on other areas of development. Offering a varied diet and exposing them to different tastes and textures is key, even if they only sample a little.

For parents concerned about nutrition, I suggest sneaking in nutritious elements subtly. For example, pureeing cauliflower and broccoli into a smooth paste and adding it to Mac and Cheese is a tasty way to boost the nutritional value of their favorite comfort food. Or, adding blended fruits or veggies to homemade smoothies could sweeten the deal for fussy eaters by making it a fun treat!

What other challenges have parents faced with their toddlers? I find that having some tricks up your sleeve can make meal times less stressful!
the going gets tough during toddlerhood, as they grow more opinionated and develop stronger wills! Haha! I think most singaporean kids go through a stage of relying heavily on milk and carbohydrates because they are famliar and comforting. It's quite common, but we need to gently introduce other foods without forcing them or creating an aversion!

I agree with the suggestion of getting toddlers involved in meal preparation, which is also a great educational experience for them! Teaching them about food groups or letting them explore different textures sounds more engaging than the traditional "clean your plate" approach, and empowers them to make informed choices.

Some days, my toddler won't touch his meals, and that's okay too - I'm learning to not stress over completed meals but ensure there's balance over the course of a few days instead! It helps to offer a variety of nutritious snacks in between meals so they don't fill up on junk food when appetite is low.

What other clever hacks do you moms have up your sleeve to share? :D

hidden vegetables are a clever way of ensuring that our little ones don't miss out on vital nutrients. Grated carrots and courgettes can easily be tucked into omelets or pancakes, giving them a delicious taste and a nutritional boost!

Another challenge for parents is when our tot's tastes change suddenly, leaving their favorite foods behind! It happened so quickly with my daughter, and it caught me off guard a few times. One day she loved tomatoes; the next, she wouldn't touch them! So adaptability is key - keeping an open mind and going with their evolving preferences can save meal times!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu