• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

What to feed the little ones?

Good to have you on board with some level-headed advice for parents. Looking forward to the practical tips based on real experience, especially for those tricky toddler years!
As a parent of a former picky eater, I can recommend some strategies that helped. A couple of suggestions that worked for my little one were to make meal times interactive and allow her to participate in the process. Letting her choose the vegetables or fruits we pick up from the store, having her help wash and prepare them, seemed to make her more inclined to eat them. The sense of accomplishment matters too, so praise and positive reinforcement are helpful!

For iron-rich foods, cooked spinach could be an option. Mashed into a paste and hidden in her favorite dishes might work, or you could introduce her to fun animal-shaped spinach pancakes, which were a hit with my girl. Fortified cereal also works if she has a sweet tooth; some have lots of vitamins and iron packed in. You could also go old school with liver pate, or fish fingers, though these may need a little creative marketing!

I'm glad you asked. My 2-year-old has been an adventurous eater so far; fortunately, there are no allergies. She loves fruits and vegetables but has recently started turning up her nose at the sights and smells of her old favorites. I'm concerned about whether she's getting enough nutrients, especially iron, as she's quite picky about proteins these days. Doctor-recommended foods like beans and eggs aren't going down well lately. Any suggestions for fun, iron-rich foods would be welcome!
You can try hiding the good stuff in her favorite foods or preparing them in a different and fun way! Iron-fortified cereals, if she likes them, are an obvious choice. Alternatively, tofu, which is high in iron, can be sliced, marinated, and grilled like meat, a tasty treat with a meaty texture that's also nutritious!

I'm glad you asked. My 2-year-old has been an adventurous eater so far; fortunately, there are no allergies. She loves fruits and vegetables but has recently started turning up her nose at the sights and smells of her old favorites. I'm concerned about whether she's getting enough nutrients, especially iron, as she's quite picky about proteins these days. Doctor-recommended foods like beans and eggs aren't going down well lately. Any suggestions for fun, iron-rich foods would be welcome!
It's a tricky phase when toddlers start asserting their food preferences! It's great news that your little one has been an adventurous eater; that makes me confident in suggesting some fun ideas to keep her nutrition on track.

Iron-rich foods are a great concern, and I have some toddler-friendly suggestions that might entice her taste buds:

1. Include some tasty seafood like small, whole cooked crab claws or shrimp. Toddlers might enjoy picking them up and eating them like snacks! Crab meat is a good source of iron and other nutrients.

2. Cooked spinach or kale pureed into her favorite smoothie could be a nutritious booster without altering the taste drastically. You can also sneaky add some into a homemade fruit poke/yogurtParfait.

3. Lean red meat, especially liver, is an excellent source of iron. How about some fun, minced meat kebabs or tiny meatball dishes? Cooked in tomato sauce might be a win!

4. Quinoa, the super-grain, is another fantastic iron source and could be a great side dish option. It can also be hidden in baked goods like muffins or cookies for an anytime treat.

5. Pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, and even dried fruits like apricots are tasty, iron-rich treats that your tot might enjoy as finger foods or added to meals.

Remember, at this stage, mealtime should be enjoyable and not a battle. Keep offering a variety of nutritious foods and praise her for trying new things!

You might consider introducing oysters or squid, great sources of iron! But for a toddler, they may look and smell too intimidating. Cooked and chopped up finely in her favourite dishes could be a sneaky yet effective way to boost the iron content. You could also go old school with an iron-fortified cereal, which still has the nutrients but masked in a familiar tasty treat.

Good to have you on board with some level-headed advice for parents. Looking forward to the practical tips based on real experience, especially for those tricky toddler years!
I appreciate your understanding, and I'm glad you found my input useful. It's tough being a parent; every stage comes with its unique challenges, isn't it? Here's a trick that worked for me to sneak some nutrition into the picky eater's diet. Toddler-friendly foods like pancakes and fritters can be a great way to incorporate various ingredients. For instance, you could make iron-rich spinach pancakes or hide grated carrots and beetroots in the batter. You'd be amazed at how effective this camo strategy can be! Disguising healthy foods in their favorites is an ancient parent's trick that totes hits the spot sometimes! But I caution against deception; it should only be a temporary measure, as we also want to encourage adventurous eating.

As a parent, I've found that Toddler meals are a whole new ball game. Hmmm... iron-rich foods. Incorporating meat like chicken or liver patty might be a good idea then. For a fun factor, shaped-cutters could help, or perhaps tiny, adorable animal-shaped chicken nuggets made with minced chicken! Pairing them with a colorful fruit or veggie dip could make it more enticing. How about some bunny-shaped carrot cake cookies for a cute iron boost? »

Toddler meals often end up on the floor, but that's part of the fun (and mess) of this phase, I guess!

Toddlers can be a handful, and their eating habits are known to cause concern, especially when their palate changes quickly and dramatically. It's a phase where they learn to exert independence, so it's understandable that mealtimes can get tricky.

For some iron-rich foods that your toddler might enjoy, how about rich and creamy houmous, which is high in protein and a great dip for raw veggies? Offered with a colourful plate of raw carrot, bell pepper, and cucumber sticks, it could be an appetizing and fun snack. Another idea would be to hide mashed lentils in pasta sauces; the earthy taste shouldn't overpower the tomato sauce's sweetness, and it's a great way to add some iron. You could also crack an egg into fried rice with lots of veggies for an easy, nutritious meal, which is high in protein and should please their palate!

Keep varying her options and don't give up on offering healthy foods. Toddlers usually return to old favorites eventually. And remember, if she's getting a good variety over time, chances are her nutritional needs are being met even if it doesn't seem so from one picky meal to another. Stay patient!

My five-year-old daughter has no known allergies, thank goodness! But she's a picky eater and incredibly finicky about her food. She's currently into fruits and anything crispy and crunchy - chips, crackers, etc. It's like she gets bored of eating options quickly. So I've had to get creative in adding variety and nutrition without forcing anything on her that might put her off eating altogether.
Good to know your daughter doesn't have any allergies. It's a relief The chips and crackers phase should be temporary, but keeping meals interesting could help with her finicky eating habits. How about some crispy alternatives that are also nutritious? Crumbled nuts, like roasted almonds or pistachios, might tick the crunchy box and are high in nutrients too. Or, you could introduce crisp vegetables like carrots, celery, and bell peppers - they're satisfyingly crunchy and come in various colors to entice her. Dipping them in a hummus or yogurt dip could add some protein into her diet too!

My five-year-old daughter has no known allergies, thank goodness! But she's a picky eater and incredibly finicky about her food. She's currently into fruits and anything crispy and crunchy - chips, crackers, etc. It's like she gets bored of eating options quickly. So I've had to get creative in adding variety and nutrition without forcing anything on her that might put her off eating altogether.
It's a challenge many parents face; keeping meals interesting for picky eaters! Crispy and crunchy textures are fun for little ones. Have you introduced her to roasted seaweed snacks? They're a decent snack option, healthy and usually well-loved by kids for their salty, crispy texture akin to chips. Sea vegetables like nori or wakame are also rich in nutrients like iodine, which is hard to come by in other foods. Another crunchy option could be seeds like pumpkin seeds, which are high in iron and zinc. You can try baking them with a sprinkle of her favorite spices for an added kick!

Your situation sounds very familiar! Having a fussy eater can be a challenge many parents can relate to. It's a good move to creatively mask nutritious foods in her favorite crunchy form!

For instance, you could try making crackers or chips at home with different shapes and flavors - and sneaking in some hidden vegetables. Sweet potato, beetroot, or even spinach purees can add some nutrients without altering the taste too much. You'd be surprised how easy it is to disguise spinach in a dough!

You could also attempt some crispy rice treats using nutritious cereals like quinoa flakes or amaranth - these are crunchy and will satisfy your daughter's texture cravings. Perhaps you could involve her in shaping the treats, which might encourage her to eat them!

Another tactic could be offering small portions of many different foods; the variety might just keep her interest longer. Think of it as a mini buffet she can graze on. Cut up some colorful fruits and veggies, provide some dips, and perhaps a fun cracker spread. Who knows - she might just try some!

Keep us posted if you discover any winning recipes; many parents here would love new ideas to woo those fussy palates!

That's a tricky situation with a fickle eater! I find it helpful to involve my toddler in the cooking process - she's more likely to eat what she has helped to prepare. Also, making cute animal shapes out of fruit and veggies using cookie cutters has worked well. A moose pineapple or a shark-shaped cucumber can make mealtimes fun! It need not be perfect; simple shapes like stars and hearts could do the trick too. For some extra crunch without the junk, I've had success with baking my own chips using various vegetables like kale and sweet potatoes.

Toddler life seems to be full of phases, so it's reassuring to know that this too shall pass!

I hear you, feeding little ones can be tricky business! You've intuitively played it right by not pushing foods onto her, which risks creating more fuss.

For variety, a fun idea is making crispy fruit chips she can crunch on! Thinly slice some apples or pears, a sprinkle of cinnamon (or any favorite spice) and a quick bake should do the trick. She might also enjoy participating in the kitchen by using cookie cutters for her fruits and veggies - a fun, sensory experience with food that could entice her to try more.

Another approach is picking meals based on a theme she likes, like a "rainbow" meal where each color of the rainbow represents a different fruit or vegetable, or a culture-themed meal with an exotic fruity smoothie and some crispy vegetarian spring rolls! Making the experience whimsical can create excitement around food and nutrition.

For nutritional balance, smoothies are a great way to pack in the goodness if she's okay with drinking her nutrients. You could even sneak some spinach or avocado into a fruity blend, which keeps things interesting for her taste buds and nutritious! It's also fun for her to help prepare the ingredients and blend them together.

I've also found that letting children grow and pick their own foods works wonders. Taking her to the store or market and letting her choose some fruits or veggies could entice her to try new things, giving her a sense of responsibility over her nutritional choices. She might surprise you with what she picks!

Keep us posted on your culinary adventures - and any hidden talents she discovers along the way! - because there's a wealth of knowledge in sharing experiences like these.

I'm finding it's usually common among toddlers to be picky eaters. Getting them to eat nutritious food is a challenge, especially when sugar becomes a entice ingredient in appealing to their tastebuds. It's a phase where they learn to assert their independence, and parents like me have to figure out how to be creative with meal preparation! I'm sure most would agree that getting kids to eat healthy is a priority, so sharing ideas on sneaking nutrients into tasty treats would be beneficial. Sugar substitutions with natural sweeteners like dates or Stevia anyone?
You're right about toddlers asserting their independence, which can make mealtime a tricky business! Balanced snacks are a great way to introduce nutrients without the battle; fruit and Veggie smoothies loaded with hidden greens could be a good idea for fussy eaters. I find adding frozen, powdered spinach or kale into smoothies a great way to sneak in some iron-rich foods. It's a palatable way to enjoy something sweet while tickin' the nutrient boxes!

But of course, every toddler is different, and what works for one might not work for another! It's a fun challenge to navigate these tiny personalities through creative parenting.

That's quite the tricky situation with a fussy eater! It's a good move to sneak some nutrition into her diet creatively rather than force-feeding, which could backfire.

For a fun and nutritious snack, why not try making your own crispy fruit chips? Thinly slice some apples, pears, or bananas, sprinkle some cinnamon for added flavor, and bake them in the oven until crispy. Alternatively, you could also go for some dried fruits, which are usually a hit with kids and are a great source of vitamins and minerals. Perhaps it'll satisfy her crunchy cravings too!

Some other discrete nutritious additions could be smooth peanut butter (a good source of protein) hidden in fruit smoothies or oatmeal. You could also give her small bites of dark chocolate (in moderation) which has some healthy antioxidants!

It's also half the battle won if you can get her involved in preparing meals. Kids usually love helping out, and she might be more inclined to eat something she's had a hand in making.

You've already done well to identify the issue and aren't forcing foods onto her - a common mistake many parents make which often leads to meal time battles. Keep offering her a varied selection of foods and let her choose what and how much she wants to eat.

For some healthy crunchy options, you could introduce her to some kid-friendly carbs: thin rice cakes or wholegrain crackerbreads with different toppings like peanut butter (a good source of protein), hummus or tzatziki dips, which are high in nutrients and have that crispy texture she enjoys. Or some crunchy, raw veggies like bell peppers, carrots or cucumber slices might go down well with her preferred dips!

I'm finding it's usually common among toddlers to be picky eaters. Getting them to eat nutritious food is a challenge, especially when sugar becomes a entice ingredient in appealing to their tastebuds. It's a phase where they learn to assert their independence, and parents like me have to figure out how to be creative with meal preparation! I'm sure most would agree that getting kids to eat healthy is a priority, so sharing ideas on sneaking nutrients into tasty treats would be beneficial. Sugar substitutions with natural sweeteners like dates or Stevia anyone?
Yes, toddlers do seem to be the trickiest crowd to please! Getting them to eat nutritious foods without turning mealtimes into a battle requires some ingenuity on our part I find that involving my fussy toddler in preparing meals helps encourage her to eat. Giving her simple tasks like washing veggies or mixing ingredients creates buy-in and makes her more inclined to try the food.

I'm pleased to share some ideas once we have some specifics!

For now, I can begin with a couple of general tips that might come in handy for anyone dealing with little ones' nourishment:

1. Hide and Seek: Sometimes, the little ones reject food simply because it looks unfamiliar or unappealing. A fun way to tackle this is to hide nutritious foods inside their favorites! For example, grated carrots or zucchini in spaghetti sauce or mashed bananas in pancakes. This works well for getting them to eat their fruits and vegetables.

2.Dip It: Kids seem to love anything that involves dipping. Presenting dishes like raw veggies with a tasty dip (hummus, anyone?), fruit kebabs, or even crusty bread can make eating a fun activity. Dips can be a great way to introduce them to new flavors and textures.

3. Mini Portions: A great way to encourage adventure in eating is to offer small portions of many different foods, making mealtime a exploration time. This could help expand their food vocabulary and get them comfortable with a variety of tastes, especially when introduced with positive enthusiasm!

While these might not solve every dining dilemma, they're certainly fun ways to make the experience more enjoyable for everyone involved.

Do share more details; I'd love to hear of specific challenges and offerings tailored to each situation!
Your recommendations are spot on, especially for getting toddlers to eat better.

I find that cutting fruits and vegetables into cute shapes using cookie cutters or making food look fancy with toothpicks often helps too! It's amazing how something as simple as a shape can entice them to eat. And yes, anything "mini" seems more appealing to them, I've found that to be true too!

I'm keen on some recipe ideas myself, now that the challenges are out there. So, hit me up with your tasty solutions!

I'm pleased to share some ideas once we have some specifics!

For now, I can begin with a couple of general tips that might come in handy for anyone dealing with little ones' nourishment:

1. Hide and Seek: Sometimes, the little ones reject food simply because it looks unfamiliar or unappealing. A fun way to tackle this is to hide nutritious foods inside their favorites! For example, grated carrots or zucchini in spaghetti sauce or mashed bananas in pancakes. This works well for getting them to eat their fruits and vegetables.

2.Dip It: Kids seem to love anything that involves dipping. Presenting dishes like raw veggies with a tasty dip (hummus, anyone?), fruit kebabs, or even crusty bread can make eating a fun activity. Dips can be a great way to introduce them to new flavors and textures.

3. Mini Portions: A great way to encourage adventure in eating is to offer small portions of many different foods, making mealtime a exploration time. This could help expand their food vocabulary and get them comfortable with a variety of tastes, especially when introduced with positive enthusiasm!

While these might not solve every dining dilemma, they're certainly fun ways to make the experience more enjoyable for everyone involved.

Do share more details; I'd love to hear of specific challenges and offerings tailored to each situation!
Those are some cute and clever ideas! I like the Mini Portions tactic - the idea of making mealtimes an adventure sounds fun, especially for the little ones who are often picky. It's a great, subtle way of encouraging them to develop their tastebuds!

Good to know there are other parents who find joy in this challenging phase!

I've found that kids, especially those around 4 years old, are notoriously difficult to please when it comes to food. They tend to enjoy sweet and delicious treats and shun healthy but boring meals. I tell other parents to prioritize and hide nutritious foods, like pureed carrots in spaghetti sauce or extra virgin olive oil in chocolate milkshakes for that added nutritional boost without compromising taste.
That's an interesting strategy to camouflage healthy foods in their favorites! Hiding techniques can really be a life-saver for getting through fussy eating phases. I'm curious to know if anyone else has clever ways to sneak in the good stuff while keeping the little ones happy and healthy. It'd be fun to explore secret healthy ingredients!

Good to know there are other parents who find joy in this challenging phase!

I've found that kids, especially those around 4 years old, are notoriously difficult to please when it comes to food. They tend to enjoy sweet and delicious treats and shun healthy but boring meals. I tell other parents to prioritize and hide nutritious foods, like pureed carrots in spaghetti sauce or extra virgin olive oil in chocolate milkshakes for that added nutritional boost without compromising taste.
It's a challenge many parents face! Hiding nutritious foods is a clever way to ensure our little ones still get the nourishment they need without tantrums or mealtime battles. I'm all ears for more innovative ideas on how everyone else is navigating this tricky phase! The power of parenthood unite :D

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu