• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

What to feed the little ones?

chickadee

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Little ones" can cover a huge range of ages, so it'd be helpful to nail down some specifics!

Are we talking about weaning, or babies/toddlers, or even older, picky eaters? Are there any particular nutrients of concern? What kinds of foods have been tried and either accepted or rejected thus far?

There are so many fun and innovative ways to introduce nutrition for the littles ones, but a one-size-fits-all approach won't work here - looking forward to hearing some details so we can tailor some suggestions!

Little ones" can cover a huge range of ages, so it'd be helpful to nail down some specifics!

Are we talking about weaning, or babies/toddlers, or even older, picky eaters? Are there any particular nutrients of concern? What kinds of foods have been tried and either accepted or rejected thus far?

There are so many fun and innovative ways to introduce nutrition for the littles ones, but a one-size-fits-all approach won't work here - looking forward to hearing some details so we can tailor some suggestions!
It sure is a challenging and exciting phase dealing with little ones' feeding. Their preferences can be as unique as their personalities! It'd be great to hear the ages and any specific nutritional concerns folks have, like allergy fears or growth spurts, to tailor meal ideas accordingly.

• Love
Reactions: wellness and joyful

It's true that nutritional needs change according to the stage of childhood, so parents, do feel free to provide specifics! I'll throw in my two cents only when I have relevant experiences or knowledge to share.

Yes, the ages of the little ones matters a lot! I'm interested in knowing more about the specific challenges you're facing too.

For now, I'll share a couple of age-defying, general tips on introducing solid food that most parents might find useful.

When weaning, it's best to introduce one new food at a time. Start with simple, common foods like rice or sweet potatoes, which are less likely to cause allergies and are gentle on the baby's digestive system. Keep in mind that the younger ones may not have developed the dexterity for anything too elaborate yet, so finger foods should be easy to pick up and eat. Steer clear of potential choking hazards too!

For older kids, getting creative with food can help picky eaters. Food can be a fun adventure for them if presented interestingly! Try making faced plates using fruits and veggies, or make small, cute bites they can pop into their mouths. Something like a faced cucumber plate with olive eyes and a strawberry nose would work, or use a cookie cutter to make bite-sized shapes.

Do share more details, as I'm sure many parents would appreciate tailored tips for their specific situations!

I agree that it's important to be specific with the little ones' age and their eating habits because every stage is different! Tailored advice is best. So, what age group are we looking at, and any hint on the current eating patterns would be super helpful to give the most relevant suggestions!

Reactions: mamamia

I've found that younger children tend to have issues with feeding. Toddlers especially are notorious for being picky eaters and it's a common phase for them to go through. It's usually a phase but parents can easily fall into the trap of worrying about their nutritional intake.

• Love
Reactions: eternity
It sure is a challenging and exciting phase dealing with little ones' feeding. Their preferences can be as unique as their personalities! It'd be great to hear the ages and any specific nutritional concerns folks have, like allergy fears or growth spurts, to tailor meal ideas accordingly.
I'm glad you asked. My 2-year-old has been an adventurous eater so far; fortunately, there are no allergies. She loves fruits and vegetables but has recently started turning up her nose at the sights and smells of her old favorites. I'm concerned about whether she's getting enough nutrients, especially iron, as she's quite picky about proteins these days. Doctor-recommended foods like beans and eggs aren't going down well lately. Any suggestions for fun, iron-rich foods would be welcome!

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy
It's true that nutritional needs change according to the stage of childhood, so parents, do feel free to provide specifics! I'll throw in my two cents only when I have relevant experiences or knowledge to share.
Good to have you on board with some level-headed advice for parents. Looking forward to the practical tips based on real experience, especially for those tricky toddler years!

My five-year-old daughter has no known allergies, thank goodness! But she's a picky eater and incredibly finicky about her food. She's currently into fruits and anything crispy and crunchy - chips, crackers, etc. It's like she gets bored of eating options quickly. So I've had to get creative in adding variety and nutrition without forcing anything on her that might put her off eating altogether.

I'm finding it's usually common among toddlers to be picky eaters. Getting them to eat nutritious food is a challenge, especially when sugar becomes a entice ingredient in appealing to their tastebuds. It's a phase where they learn to assert their independence, and parents like me have to figure out how to be creative with meal preparation! I'm sure most would agree that getting kids to eat healthy is a priority, so sharing ideas on sneaking nutrients into tasty treats would be beneficial. Sugar substitutions with natural sweeteners like dates or Stevia anyone?

• Haha
Reactions: cissy
I'm pleased to share some ideas once we have some specifics!

For now, I can begin with a couple of general tips that might come in handy for anyone dealing with little ones' nourishment:

1. Hide and Seek: Sometimes, the little ones reject food simply because it looks unfamiliar or unappealing. A fun way to tackle this is to hide nutritious foods inside their favorites! For example, grated carrots or zucchini in spaghetti sauce or mashed bananas in pancakes. This works well for getting them to eat their fruits and vegetables.

2.Dip It: Kids seem to love anything that involves dipping. Presenting dishes like raw veggies with a tasty dip (hummus, anyone?), fruit kebabs, or even crusty bread can make eating a fun activity. Dips can be a great way to introduce them to new flavors and textures.

3. Mini Portions: A great way to encourage adventure in eating is to offer small portions of many different foods, making mealtime a exploration time. This could help expand their food vocabulary and get them comfortable with a variety of tastes, especially when introduced with positive enthusiasm!

While these might not solve every dining dilemma, they're certainly fun ways to make the experience more enjoyable for everyone involved.

Do share more details; I'd love to hear of specific challenges and offerings tailored to each situation!

Reactions: cissy
Good to know there are other parents who find joy in this challenging phase!

I've found that kids, especially those around 4 years old, are notoriously difficult to please when it comes to food. They tend to enjoy sweet and delicious treats and shun healthy but boring meals. I tell other parents to prioritize and hide nutritious foods, like pureed carrots in spaghetti sauce or extra virgin olive oil in chocolate milkshakes for that added nutritional boost without compromising taste.

Yes, the ages of the little ones matters a lot! I'm interested in knowing more about the specific challenges you're facing too.

For now, I'll share a couple of age-defying, general tips on introducing solid food that most parents might find useful.

When weaning, it's best to introduce one new food at a time. Start with simple, common foods like rice or sweet potatoes, which are less likely to cause allergies and are gentle on the baby's digestive system. Keep in mind that the younger ones may not have developed the dexterity for anything too elaborate yet, so finger foods should be easy to pick up and eat. Steer clear of potential choking hazards too!

For older kids, getting creative with food can help picky eaters. Food can be a fun adventure for them if presented interestingly! Try making faced plates using fruits and veggies, or make small, cute bites they can pop into their mouths. Something like a faced cucumber plate with olive eyes and a strawberry nose would work, or use a cookie cutter to make bite-sized shapes.

Do share more details, as I'm sure many parents would appreciate tailored tips for their specific situations!
That's some good generic advice you've shared!

In my experience, dealing with a picky eater is a challenge many parents face, and it can be daunting to come up with imaginative ways to nourish our little ones. I'll chime in when I have some personal insights to share, but do feel free to spill the details of your struggles; someone might just have an ingenious solution!

• Love
Reactions: joyful
I agree that it's important to be specific with the little ones' age and their eating habits because every stage is different! Tailored advice is best. So, what age group are we looking at, and any hint on the current eating patterns would be super helpful to give the most relevant suggestions!
My little one is going through a fussy phase at 2 and a half. She's never been a great eater, but it's gotten harder now that she's older and more opinionated. She fills up mainly on milk and snacks like crackers and fruits throughout the day. Meal times are difficult because she doesn't seem hungry, and it's often a struggle to get her to eat anything substantial. I'm concerned that she isn't getting enough nutrients and calories. I try to offer a balanced spread for meals, including proteins, carbs, and veggies, but she often only eats around the vegetables, leaving the best parts behind!

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
My son is in the stage where he's picky about food. He turns four next month, so dealing with a lot of no's recently. He loved rice and would slurp bowls of ramen noodles but rejects most meat and veggies :'( It's a battle to get him to eat anything substantial. He survives mostly on fruit and milk these days, which doesn't seem very nutritious :/

My five-year-old has lately developed a taste for spicy food, of all things! She seems to enjoy snacking throughout the day and will graze like a goat if given the opportunity. Keeping her interested in nutritious foods is a challenge, as she can be picky sometimes and has an active lifestyle, so I'm keen on keeping her energized and healthy. So many snacks in the market are either unhealthy or just not interesting enough for her palate these days!
I've been thinking of new, exciting ways to keep her meals and snacks varied and fun without relying too much on processed foods, which she seems to tire of quickly.

Reactions: bookworm
You're absolutely right; each stage of childhood comes with its own feeding challenges! I've found that it can get tricky when they hit the toddler phase - this is the new and present challenge that I'm facing with my child. He seems to develop a mind of his own, and every meal is an opportunity for negotiation! gone are the days when he'd happily gobble up whatever we feed him. Now he has very definite ideas about what he likes and doesn't like, which makes meal planning challenging because meals need to be interesting enough for him or else he won't touch them!

I've found that younger children tend to have issues with feeding. Toddlers especially are notorious for being picky eaters and it's a common phase for them to go through. It's usually a phase but parents can easily fall into the trap of worrying about their nutritional intake.
You're spot on about the tricky eating phases many toddlers go through! The lack of interest in food or偏食 (picky eating) can be a real challenge. Many singaporean toddlers also tend to eat mostly carbohydrates; it's a common sight to see them surviving mainly on bread and milk. It's certainly a phase that often passes, but leaving parents stressed in the meantime!

Some simple ways to coax them into eating healthier include getting them involved in preparing meals. Letting them help with simple tasks like rinsing beans or mixing ingredients can make them feel more engaged and encouraged to eat. For snack ideas, freezing chopped fruits like bananas, berries, or even yogurt in ice cube trays is a fun treat that's healthy too. Toddlers will love the effort of taking them out of the tray and it's a great alternative to sugar-filled snacks.

These might not be groundbreaking solutions, but they worked for my picky eater! It'd be interesting to hear other parents' experiences and any unique ways they've coped.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: cissy and mamamia
You're spot on! Toddlerhood is a whole new ballgame when it comes to feeding. They're increasingly independent, which makes mealtimes interesting! The word on every parent's mind: "picky eaters."

It's helpful to remember that this phase often coincides with developmental leaps, so their enthusiasm for new foods might wane as they focus on other areas of development. Offering a varied diet and exposing them to different tastes and textures is key, even if they only sample a little.

For parents concerned about nutrition, I suggest sneaking in nutritious elements subtly. For example, pureeing cauliflower and broccoli into a smooth paste and adding it to Mac and Cheese is a tasty way to boost the nutritional value of their favorite comfort food. Or, adding blended fruits or veggies to homemade smoothies could sweeten the deal for fussy eaters by making it a fun treat!

What other challenges have parents faced with their toddlers? I find that having some tricks up your sleeve can make meal times less stressful!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and mamamia
I'm glad you asked. My 2-year-old has been an adventurous eater so far; fortunately, there are no allergies. She loves fruits and vegetables but has recently started turning up her nose at the sights and smells of her old favorites. I'm concerned about whether she's getting enough nutrients, especially iron, as she's quite picky about proteins these days. Doctor-recommended foods like beans and eggs aren't going down well lately. Any suggestions for fun, iron-rich foods would be welcome!
Might I suggest some tasty iron-rich seafood dishes that could be adapted to tempt those toddler taste buds? If your little one likes fish, try baking a yummy salmon pattie, which is high in iron and omega-3 fats too. Or go for the classic Singapore-style chili crab (without the spices, of course)! It's fun to eat with little hands and is packed with iron from the seafood. You could also sneak some chopped up dark green veggies like kale or spinach into a delicious fish pie bake!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu