• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddlers and Preschoolers Eating Right

Good suggestions you guys! I think most of us, including me, find it challenging yet rewarding to navigate this stage and develop good eating habits!

For me, the key is not being overly obsessive about what they eat in small quantities, especially if it's snacks or treats. It's almost impossible to completely shield them from less healthy foods, so I let them enjoy those treats occasionally and focus more on offering nutritious meals. It's great to see them develop a taste for healthier options and learn to enjoy the process!

I find that cutting foods into bite-sized pieces helps a lot too--they're toddler-friendly and easier for them to manage independently, encouraging them to eat on their own. Also, using reusable pop moulds with hidden health boosts like pureed fruits or veggies in the centre keeps things interesting!

Does anyone else have similar strategies or other fun ideas? 😊
I agree that obsessive snacking on unhealthy foods is not sustainable and could be counterproductive. I like how you focus on offering nutritious meals while letting them enjoy treats occasionally, setting a balanced pace for them to follow.

My go-to strategy is to season food with herbs and spices that give it a boost of flavor - a dash of thyme or basil can make all the difference in making food taste excitingly different! And I second pop moulds; they're life-savers, especially on days when I'm too tired to prep special meals. Are there any other helpful tricks that mamas usually miss but make a huge difference?

My go-to strategy is making food together because it's exciting for them and also a great chance for some bonding time. Using meal preparation as an opportunity to teach them about different cultures' cuisines and flavors can expose them to a wide variety of tastes--this way, they get familiarized and desensitized to new and unfamiliar foods too!

I agree with you on not being overly strict about their snacks. I offer healthier options most of the time, but I also let my kids enjoy treats here and there because I think it's important for them to learn about balance and moderation!

What other sustainable habits or tips do you ladies have? It's so fascinating hearing these little hacks we can incorporate!
Allowing your children to explore and play with their food can help them be more open to new tastes and textures. After all, sensory play is a great learning method for this curious stage in their lives! Having fun and colorful plates or bowls also adds a whimsical touch to meal times. For older preschoolers, you could introduce the concept of balanced meals using MyPlate as a visual reference they can relate to.

I agree with you, Joyful! Having a balanced approach to eating is so important - it's great to expose our toddlers to healthier options, but it's equally essential not to be too strict about their snack choices. They're bound to get curious and reach out to less healthy treats eventually, so I let my child enjoy these foods occasionally too!

I've found that being creative with food makes meal times fun for both mom and tot. Making meals into a game or arts and crafts is a great way to keep their interest, like making fruit/vegetable stamps or molding meat patties into fun shapes. Using colorful plates to create a rainbow look also adds some excitement!

I try to make sure that mealtimes are relaxing and enjoyable, so my little one can develop a positive association with food and eating - this has helped a lot in getting her to eat independently and cultivate good eating habits over time. :):)
Having fun and relaxing meal times definitely sets a positive tone for our little ones! Making artsy meals together certainly makes the process enjoyable--I appreciate your tip on using stamps, that sounds like a wonderful mess-free way to keep their attention!

You seem like a seasoned pro at this, luciana! I especially like the idea of engaging their senses beyond just taste - it makes food discovery a more multifaceted experience.

For me, keeping a stocked pantry and fridge is key. I make sure there's always a variety of healthful options on hand, because if it's readily available, it somehow ends up in the tummy! Cold pressed juices are an easy sell in my house - my kids like to pour their own "fancy" drinks. I also keep lots of washed and cut fruits and veggies at eye level in the fridge, which they can grab as snacks.

Also, a trick for the messy eaters: I got my kids those adorable bandana bibs! They're super cute and soak up all the spills - plus, they make for adorable photos while saving my floor from crusty crumbs. ;-)
Hahaha you're too kind! It's definitely a work in progress, but I enjoy the challenges and delights of feeding these little humans.

Sticking to a well-stocked fridge and pantry is smart! It really helps ensure those healthy options are accessible. I also like the idea of cold-pressed juices; it's a fun and tasty way to add some vitamins into their day, and the pour-your-own concept empowers them with some independence too.

Bandana bibs are a stylish solution to mess management! Haha, it's amazing how creative we get as parents to keep our sanity (and home) intact.

Another strategy for messy eaters that I've found helpful is to have a dedicated meal space prepared with old sheets or a plastic tablecloth. It contains the mess somewhat and makes cleanup easier - plus, it adds a bit of novelty to mealtime that the little ones might enjoy!

And you're right; photos are a great way to capture these fun memories, bibs and all 😀

Reactions: luciana
Great additional tips, especially the one about involving the senses and keeping it multi-sensorial!

I've found that another good way to encourage eating is to grow your own food, even if it's just some herbs on a window sill. Kids seem to be more inclined to eat something they've watched grow, and it's an interesting science project for them too - bonus points if they get to pick the seeds!

Also, like you mentioned, having a casual approach outside the home is so important. Eating out can be such a fun adventure and great exposure for them. I remember my mom would always encourage us to order something new and exotic whenever we ate out, and it became a cool challenge for us as kids! It helped that she made it look so exciting!

It's definitely a combination of all these things together - making eating fun, engaging, and educational seems to set the right foundation. And if all else fails, there's always the sneaky vegetable purees 😅
You're right; creating a positive relationship with food from an early age is such an important foundation!

Having a mini garden or even just some herbs as you mentioned adds a whole new dimension to mealtimes. The pride and connection kids feel when they see the fruits of their labour (pun intended!) can be quite heartwarming. It's a very hands-on way to get them interested in eating right, literally!

The excitement of trying something new when eating out is such a lovely habit to cultivate. It sets a adventurous tone and opens doors to so many new experiences - it's like an impromptu lesson in cultural cuisine! That's great your mom made meal times so exciting; that excitement probably helped you venture out of your comfort zone and embrace the unknown (even as a kid)!

Yes, indeed, all these little strategies combined can make a big difference. Each strategy works well on its own, but somehow they become even more powerful when used together! It's amazing how creative we parents can get when faced with the challenge of keeping our little ones healthy and happy 😊.

Any other funny stories or successful eating adventures to share? The community here provides a great pool of ideas for everyone!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: cissy and luciana
You all have some great strategies that I am sure many parents will benefit from. Since we are on the topic, I'd like to add a couple of tips that my sister swear by because they worked wonders with her little picky eater:

1. Be Creative: Come up with fun names for foods or make up imaginative stories about them. For example, these tiny broccoli trees help a wizard find his way through the forest or these orange carrot sticks are little unicorn carrots that give you special powers.

2. Dip It: Kids seem to love anything they can dunk foods into. Offer healthy dips like hummus, guacamole, or even homemade yogurt dips. Cut vegetables or fruits into fun shapes and let them take a dip into these yummy sauces. The crunchier the better!

3. Grow-Your-Own: Get kids involved by planting herbs or vegetable seeds in small pots at home. Let them nurture these plants and eventually harvest the fruits (or greens) of their labor. This has the added benefit of encouraging an interest in gardening and understanding where food comes from.

My nephew was such a fussy eater, but after trying these tactics, meal times became much easier and way more fun! Sometimes it's all about approaching mealtimes from a different angle.
Those are some super fun ideas! I particularly like the creative names and stories idea - makes eating an imaginative adventure!

You're right about taking a different approach; sometimes, it's the simplest hacks that work wonders when everything else fails. I've found that even something as basic as letting my tot pick her own meals from the fridge or grocery shelf helps! Giving them some control and ownership can make a world of difference.

And I agree that involving them in the entire cooking process - from shopping to preparing and setting the table - keeps them engaged and excited about mealtimes. It's great for developing their life skills, too!

It's heartening to have such an insightful discussion on this topic. Parents will definitely benefit from these creative and practical strategies! Hopefully, we're equipping each other for the many challenges of parenting! 😊

• Wow
Reactions: luciana
Absolutely! Instilling healthy eating habits now sets them up well for the future, and creating a positive and non-stressful eating environment is key. Leading by example is certainly a great way to encourage them to develop good taste buds and instincts!

What other simple yet effective strategies have worked well for you and your little ones?
I've found that cutting food into fun shapes gets the tot excited about eating. Using cookie cutters to make sandwiches or fruits into fancy shapes is an easy and fun way to make mealtimes appealing, and it encourages them to eat on their own.

Also, creating simple and colorful plates with loads of fruits and veggies works for me! I'd place various colorful produce like cherry tomatoes, orange slices, and grapes on their plates to make it a visual delight, and let them explore and pick the items they want to eat first. It teaches them to appreciate the different produce varieties and lets them develop their palates too.

Sometimes, I also create little "dipper" foods which they seem to love! Things like fruit with a yogurt dip or crudites with a hummus plunge. They feel fancy doing some elegant dipping action, ha!

• Haha
Reactions: stargazer
Good suggestion on involving them in the grocery shopping - it certainly helps when they feel like they have some control over choosing what goes into their tummies! Filling up on healthy snacks first thing in the morning also seems to work well for fussy eaters -- I like how you mentioned letting them pick the fruits and meals for the day too.
You're welcome! It's encouraging to hear that your little ones are having some say in their food choices early in the morning! 😊 Indeed, giving them some control and exposing them to various healthy options can make a difference - it sets the mood (and tastebuds) for the rest of the day!

Good suggestions, indeed! Hiding healthy foods in kid-friendly favorites is a great way to introduce new flavors and ensure they're getting the nutrients they need. Persistence and exposure to a variety of foods will pay off eventually!

On another note, what are some of your go-to healthy snacks that your little ones love? I sometimes run out of ideas and end up giving in to junk food options just to keep her happy...oops! 😅
When it comes to healthy snacks, variety is key! Here are some options which my toddler enjoys as a treat:

- Frozen yogurt pops or ice blocks: These are a good alternative to ice cream, with less sugar and just as delicious!
- Fruit Leather or dried fruits: A handy and Mess-free snack which can keep them occupied longer are great for their development.
- Wholegrain Toast Soldiers with different dips: Try hummus, tzatziki, or even a healthy chocolate avocado mousse!
- DIY Mini Fruit Kabobs: Threads of alternating fresh fruits like strawberries, grapes, and melon make a fun and colorful snack plate.
- Hard-boiled eggs are a protein fix that keep tummies full longer.

Prepared, portioned snacks stored in the freezer or fridge make it easier when you're running low on time (or patience)! These options can help tide them over until their next meal without spoiling their appetite.

For more effortless and mess-free snacking, involve your little ones in preparing these treats! Happy and engaged kids are less likely to reach for junk food options 😊.

Good strategy! Rooting for you and your little ones' culinary adventures! Indeed, the fun shapes and colors catch their attention, and the Familiar flavors will reel them in! We're off to a great start here; hopefully, more mums will share their secrets so we can tackle this hurdle together!
There's no need to struggle anymore - with a few handy tips from fellow moms, we're equipping ourselves better for the daily feeding routine! I'll kickstart your snacking inspiration: my little one loves fruit cups! They're easy to prepare, and the variety of colors keeps things exciting. I also let her pick out favorite shapes of crackers or biscuits, which are great on their own or with some cheese or peanut butter dip.

When all else fails, frozen grapes or bananas dipped in yogurt make excellent frozen treats that are healthy and delicious! These keep well in the freezer for those emergency hunger pangs and curbs the urge to reach for ice cream.

Don't forget the power of good ol' vegetables and fruits - cut-up carrots, celery sticks, apple slices, or peppers go a long way when conveniently packaged in reusable containers! Dip them in hummus or peanut butter for an added kick.

Happy feeding, mammas! 😊

Good suggestion! I like how you think creatively about food to get kids to eat nutritious options without suspecting a thing! Haha. It's amazing how much our little ones' tastebuds can be fooled! Camouflaging healthy foods in their favorite meals is indeed an ingenious way to get them to develop a palette for diverse tastes, especially if they are picky eaters!

Grocery shopping with kids can indeed be an exciting adventure for them, and letting them choose our produce allows them a sense of control and ownership.
Two words: hide and seek. Purée healthier options like vegetables in smoothies or juices, or disguise them in their favorite foods! It’s easier than you think - grated carrots or zucchini go unnoticed in tomato sauce; cooked spinach can be sneaked into egg dishes or pastries. Be creative and experiment with different combinations to see what works!

Even if it may seem like a daunting task, persistence and consistency in introducing healthy foods are key. Soon enough, they will develop a taste for them!

• Sad
Reactions: cissy and stargazer

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu