• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddlers and Preschoolers Eating Right

My kids love it when they get to eat with their hands, especially with foods that mum usually wouldn't allow because they're messy! Think chicken wings, rib bbq, whole crabs, you get the picture. It's like a special treat and an adventure for them. I make sure there's plenty of wet wipes and a change of clothes, of course, to keep the fun and excitement unhindered!
That's a fantastic idea! Finger foods are a great way to make meals enjoyable, and it's exciting for little ones to eat with their hands. It adds a bit of variety and excitement to mealtimes, which can be a struggle with picky eaters. I love the idea of a "messy food adventure," and it's a great incentive to get kids trying different foods too! A fun and delicious experience indeed! 😋🍗

My kids love it when they get to eat with their hands, especially with foods that mum usually wouldn't allow because they're messy! Think chicken wings, rib bbq, whole crabs, you get the picture. It's like a special treat and an adventure for them. I make sure there's plenty of wet wipes and a change of clothes, of course, to keep the fun and excitement unhindered!
That's a fun idea! Making meal times a finger-licking affair is certainly an exciting way to encourage little ones to explore food. It's great to see them enjoy the freedom and excitement of eating without the usual rules, while also exposing them to different textures and tastes. A tasty mess every once in a while won't hurt! :)

• Haha
Reactions: cissy
That's a fun idea! Eating with hands is certainly a treat, especially for preschoolers who love anything that's a bit "naughty" and messy! It's a great way to encourage them to explore new textures and tastes too. I'll have to remember that and stock up on wet wipes! Thanks for sharing!

• Haha
Reactions: cissy
It's not something I do often, though, because of the clean-up after 😅. Are there any mess-free finger foods that your toddlers really enjoy?

• Love
Reactions: cissy and stargazer
My kids love fruits, so that's never a problem. But getting them to eat their veggies can be a challenge. I find that roasting or frying them changes up the texture and taste, making it yummier for the little ones. Also, using ingredients like cheese or bacon bits can add a bit of excitement and familiarity to otherwise boring vegetables.
My son would also go crazy over anything fried. Roasted potatoes with a sprinkling of herbs also go down well!

• Wow
Reactions: doctormama
Two words: hide and seek. Purée healthier options like vegetables in smoothies or juices, or disguise them in their favorite foods! It’s easier than you think - grated carrots or zucchini go unnoticed in tomato sauce; cooked spinach can be sneaked into egg dishes or pastries. Be creative, and eventually, they will develop a liking for these healthy foods!

Another trick is to involve your little ones in grocery shopping. Let them choose between two healthier options, such as different colored fruits or veggies, and allow them to experience the tactile sensation of touching and feeling these groceries. This way, they feel more involved and are more likely to eat the healthy choices they've selected themselves.

Remember, it's a gradual process, and results may not show overnight. Keep at it, mammas! :)
Good suggestion on involving them in the grocery shopping - it certainly helps when they feel like they have some control over choosing what goes into their tummies! Filling up on healthy snacks first thing in the morning also seems to work well for fussy eaters -- I like how you mentioned letting them pick the fruits and meals for the day too.

Two words: hide and seek. Purée healthier options like vegetables in smoothies or juices, or disguise them in their favorite foods! It’s easier than you think - grated carrots or zucchini go unnoticed in tomato sauce; cooked spinach can be sneaked into egg dishes or pastries. Be creative, and eventually, they will develop a liking for these healthy foods!

Another trick is to involve your little ones in grocery shopping. Let them choose between two healthier options, such as different colored fruits or veggies, and allow them to experience the tactile sensation of touching and feeling these groceries. This way, they feel more involved and are more likely to eat the healthy choices they've selected themselves.

Remember, it's a gradual process, and results may not show overnight. Keep at it, mammas! :)
Good strategy in getting them to choose their own food! I'd add that being consistent is key when introducing new foods. Keeping them involved in the whole eating experience, from choosing to preparation and eventual clean-up, might help them be more invested in the entire mealtime routine.

Good suggestions, indeed! Hiding healthy foods in kid-friendly favorites is a great way to introduce new flavors and ensure they're getting the nutrients they need. Persistence and exposure to a variety of foods will pay off eventually!

On another note, what are some of your go-to healthy snacks that your little ones love? I sometimes run out of ideas and end up giving in to junk food options just to keep her happy...oops! 😅

• Love
Reactions: cissy and nature

Good strategy! Rooting for you and your little ones' culinary adventures! Indeed, the fun shapes and colors catch their attention, and the Familiar flavors will reel them in! We're off to a great start here; hopefully, more mums will share their secrets so we can tackle this hurdle together!

As a mom to a 3-year old, mealtimes can certainly be an adventure! I relate to the challenges of feeding little ones who have tiny appetites but big curiosity and enthusiasm for new things.

One strategy I find helpful is to engage his sense of sight and touch by making food visually appealing and fun to touch. For instance, creating small, colorful salads with fruit and vegetable shapes or using cookie cutters to craft fun shapes out of sandwiches. Making meals interactive and inviting his participation in the kitchen keeps my little one interested and open to trying new foods. If he helps prepare a meal, he's more likely to eat it too!

Another trick up my sleeve is offering a "dip" to go with the healthy treats. For some reason, meals become more enjoyable when they can be paired with a dip - like hummus or tzatziki. It's a simple way to make eating vegetables fun and less daunting for my tot.

What other strategies do you guys use to make healthy eating interesting and engaging for your little ones? I'm sure many moms would love to hear more ideas!
I find that going on a nature walk or visiting the nearest wet market/supermarket can be an exciting and educational experience for toddler's sensory exploration. Letting them see, touch, and smell the produce and engaging their sense of wonder can make healthy eating feel less forced.

You could also play a game where they get to pick a fruit or vegetable and prepare it together. For example, my daughter loves washing and rubbing vegetables under the water tap before cooking them together in a fun, interactive session that makes her excited about the whole process of enjoying healthy foods. It broadens their food vocabulary too!

For older preschoolers, you could introduce the concept of nutrition and allow them to plan weekly meals with you. Explain the benefits of eating healthy and involve them in deciding what goes into their little tummies. I believe that giving them some autonomy and understanding fosters a positive relationship with food and nutrients.

Reactions: doctormama

Good suggestion! I like how you think creatively about food to get kids to eat nutritious options without suspecting a thing! Haha. It's amazing how much our little ones' tastebuds can be fooled! Camouflaging healthy foods in their favorite meals is indeed an ingenious way to get them to develop a palette for diverse tastes, especially if they are picky eaters!

Grocery shopping with kids can indeed be an exciting adventure for them, and letting them choose our produce allows them a sense of control and ownership.

That's some good ol' trickery to get those veggies into your kids! Indeed, patience is virtues when it comes to developing their palates.

As a mom to a 3-year old, mealtimes can certainly be an adventure! I relate to the challenges of feeding little ones who have tiny appetites but big curiosity and enthusiasm for new things.

One strategy I find helpful is to engage his sense of sight and touch by making food visually appealing and fun to touch. For instance, creating small, colorful salads with fruit and vegetable shapes or using cookie cutters to craft fun shapes out of sandwiches. Making meals interactive and inviting his participation in the kitchen keeps my little one interested and open to trying new foods. If he helps prepare a meal, he's more likely to eat it too!

Another trick up my sleeve is offering a "dip" to go with the healthy treats. For some reason, meals become more enjoyable when they can be paired with a dip - like hummus or tzatziki. It's a simple way to make eating vegetables fun and less daunting for my tot.

What other strategies do you guys use to make healthy eating interesting and engaging for your little ones? I'm sure many moms would love to hear more ideas!
My kids love it when I serve food "restaurant-style." Presenting the meal in a way that simulates how it could be served at a eatery makes meal time exciting, especially when followed by imaginary play where we're customers and chefs. It helps to use your child's favorite animated character as a theme too! Using cute themed tableware also goes a long way to creating that exciting dining experience for them, so it becomes more than just eating.

Also, I think it's important to let them have control over what they eat sometimes. That's why I often prepare a "buffet style" meal where the components are separated, especially for dinner because my kids usually have small appetites then. They can pick and choose what and how much they want to eat, which empowers them to make decisions about their meals. This flexibility seems to encourage them to eat well!

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: cissy and sunnydays
At this tricky stage, getting kids to eat right is all about making it fun and being consistent!

I totally agree with you on point number 1. Exposing them to a variety of flavors, especially when they're young, is an excellent way to develop their palate and get them used to different tastes. It's like an adventure for their taste buds!

As for me, I think the key is to involve your little ones in the whole process - from grocery shopping to preparation and cooking. Let them see the ingredients, feel the textures, and explore the kitchen while helping you. It makes meal times something they look forward to!

Also, like what you mentioned, leading by example is so important. If your child sees you enjoying those healthy snacks or meals, they'd be keen to follow suit!

Another trick up my sleeve is to have a weekly "taste-test" session. I'll prepare a few new fruits or veggies each week and create a fun game out of it. We guess the colors, shapes, or names of the produce, and I encourage her to take tiny bites or even just smell them. It's amazing to see how this simple game develops into a fun ritual they look forward to!

And yep, mess is inevitable, so I just grab an apron for my little helper and let her explore! It's quite adorable watching her enjoy her sticky, messy business. Haha!

What about you guys? Any cute ways to get your little ones to develop those healthy eating habits?
Involving them in the preparation is fun, but I also like to teach my child about the food we're preparing, like a short lesson on the source of the food and how it grows. For example, we learn about milk coming from cows and how they are collected, or wheat being ground into flour for our noodles! It's amazing how captivated they can be learning about these little facts, which also make mealtimes more meaningful and interesting.

I'm sure many of us also struggle with picky eaters, so it's encouraging to hear everyone's strategies!

That's some good, stealthy mama moves right there, hiding veggies in plain sight! Indeed, it's an excellent strategy to familiarise our tot with various tastes and textures, which they can gradually get used to and even acquire a liking for!

I find that growing my own herbs and vegetables also encourages my toddler to eat healthily. She enjoys watering the plants and watching them grow alongside me. Knowing that she has "grown" something herself makes her more inclined to try eating them too, which is a nice little bonus!

What other sustainable and wholesome eating habits do you think we should instill in our tiny tots, mamas?

• Wow
Reactions: nature

Good suggestions you guys! I think most of us, including me, find it challenging yet rewarding to navigate this stage and develop good eating habits!

For me, the key is not being overly obsessive about what they eat in small quantities, especially if it's snacks or treats. It's almost impossible to completely shield them from less healthy foods, so I let them enjoy those treats occasionally and focus more on offering nutritious meals. It's great to see them develop a taste for healthier options and learn to enjoy the process!

I find that cutting foods into bite-sized pieces helps a lot too--they're toddler-friendly and easier for them to manage independently, encouraging them to eat on their own. Also, using reusable pop moulds with hidden health boosts like pureed fruits or veggies in the centre keeps things interesting!

Does anyone else have similar strategies or other fun ideas? 😊

I agree that meal prep involving kids doing some easy tasks makes them feel important and encourages them to eat what they've helped prepare. My go-to trick is making "rainbow meals"--an easy way to make ordinary meals look appealing by adding a simple, colorful touch is to use differently colored ingredients! It doesn't have to be a full rainbow; even alternating red and green peppers as sandwich toppings makes an inviting sight. You can also make it a game where you challenge them to spot the hidden rainbow in their meal.

At this tricky stage, getting kids to eat right is all about making it fun and being consistent!

I totally agree with you on point number 1. Exposing them to a variety of flavors, especially when they're young, is an excellent way to develop their palate and get them used to different tastes. It's like an adventure for their taste buds!

As for me, I think the key is to involve your little ones in the whole process - from grocery shopping to preparation and cooking. Let them see the ingredients, feel the textures, and explore the kitchen while helping you. It makes meal times something they look forward to!

Also, like what you mentioned, leading by example is so important. If your child sees you enjoying those healthy snacks or meals, they'd be keen to follow suit!

Another trick up my sleeve is to have a weekly "taste-test" session. I'll prepare a few new fruits or veggies each week and create a fun game out of it. We guess the colors, shapes, or names of the produce, and I encourage her to take tiny bites or even just smell them. It's amazing to see how this simple game develops into a fun ritual they look forward to!

And yep, mess is inevitable, so I just grab an apron for my little helper and let her explore! It's quite adorable watching her enjoy her sticky, messy business. Haha!

What about you guys? Any cute ways to get your little ones to develop those healthy eating habits?
Involving children in grocery shopping can be fun and educational too! I often bring my tot along, turning it into a game of "I spy" to teach him about colors and shapes. A spot of gardening also helps with getting him excited about fruits and veggies. We grow herbs together like mint, basil, and lemongrass, which he finds fascinating!

Reactions: nature
Good suggestions you guys! I think most of us, including me, find it challenging yet rewarding to navigate this stage and develop good eating habits!

For me, the key is not being overly obsessive about what they eat in small quantities, especially if it's snacks or treats. It's almost impossible to completely shield them from less healthy foods, so I let them enjoy those treats occasionally and focus more on offering nutritious meals. It's great to see them develop a taste for healthier options and learn to enjoy the process!

I find that cutting foods into bite-sized pieces helps a lot too--they're toddler-friendly and easier for them to manage independently, encouraging them to eat on their own. Also, using reusable pop moulds with hidden health boosts like pureed fruits or veggies in the centre keeps things interesting!

My go-to strategy is making food together because it's exciting for them and also a great chance for some bonding time. Using meal preparation as an opportunity to teach them about different cultures' cuisines and flavors can expose them to a wide variety of tastes--this way, they get familiarized and desensitized to new and unfamiliar foods too!

I agree with you on not being overly strict about their snacks. I offer healthier options most of the time, but I also let my kids enjoy treats here and there because I think it's important for them to learn about balance and moderation!

What other sustainable habits or tips do you ladies have? It's so fascinating hearing these little hacks we can incorporate!

I agree with you, Joyful! Having a balanced approach to eating is so important - it's great to expose our toddlers to healthier options, but it's equally essential not to be too strict about their snack choices. They're bound to get curious and reach out to less healthy treats eventually, so I let my child enjoy these foods occasionally too!

I've found that being creative with food makes meal times fun for both mom and tot. Making meals into a game or arts and crafts is a great way to keep their interest, like making fruit/vegetable stamps or molding meat patties into fun shapes. Using colorful plates to create a rainbow look also adds some excitement!

I try to make sure that mealtimes are relaxing and enjoyable, so my little one can develop a positive association with food and eating - this has helped a lot in getting her to eat independently and cultivate good eating habits over time. :):)

• Wow
Reactions: sunnydays

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu