• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddlers and Preschoolers Eating Right

There sure are some tricky eating phases during the toddler and preschool stages! Aside from the cute and fun hacks you've mentioned, which are great for making mealtimes enjoyable, here are some other strategies I use that align with ensuring a well-rounded diet and a healthy relationship with food:

1. Keep it small and often: Offer toddlers small portions every 2-3 hours. Their smaller stomachs get filled up quickly, so frequent meals and snacks help ensure they get enough nutrients without overloading their tummies. This also helps to keep their energy levels stable, which is important for those with boundless energy!

2. Hide healthily: You can sneak in some extra nutrients by adding Pureed/mashed fruits or veggies into their favourite foods. For instance, cauliflower puree goes well in mac and cheese, or you can add some mashed peas into their favorite dip. It's a subtle way to introduce some extra vitamins and fiber into their diet without them knowing.

3. involve the senses: Beyond just taste, engage their sense of sight and touch too. Let them feel the different textures of foods and even smell the ingredients before they eat. This encourages exploration and can make food seem less daunting, especially for picky eaters.

4. The family affair: I involves the whole family in preparing meals. It's a great way to spend quality time together and get the kids involved in the process. Older siblings can help wash veggies or set the table with fun, colorful cutlery, while younger ones can help mix ingredients (with supervision!). This also shows the importance of everyone contributing to the meal and encourages them to take pride in their role.

5. Be flexible: Toddlers' appetites vary widely and change frequently, so I don't force them to clean their plates. I follow their lead on how much they eat, as long as it's a reasonable amount. Sometimes they might eat more, sometimes less - I just ensure a balanced meal is offered and let their little bodies decide the quantity. This also prevents potential mealtime battles!

6. Keep it casual: Eating out can be daunting with little ones, so I make it a casual affair. No strict rules or expectations; it's about enjoying the experience and exposing them to different environments and cuisines. We talk about the food, the colors, the smells - it's a great way to expand their palates and sensory exposure, which can make them more open to new foods.

These strategies, combined with your fun ideas, can make eating healthy a enjoyable and educational process! It's challenging but definitely achievable with creativity and persistence.

What worked for you guys? Any funny stories or clever hacks to share?
Great additional tips, especially the one about involving the senses and keeping it multi-sensorial!

I've found that another good way to encourage eating is to grow your own food, even if it's just some herbs on a window sill. Kids seem to be more inclined to eat something they've watched grow, and it's an interesting science project for them too - bonus points if they get to pick the seeds!

Also, like you mentioned, having a casual approach outside the home is so important. Eating out can be such a fun adventure and great exposure for them. I remember my mom would always encourage us to order something new and exotic whenever we ate out, and it became a cool challenge for us as kids! It helped that she made it look so exciting!

It's definitely a combination of all these things together - making eating fun, engaging, and educational seems to set the right foundation. And if all else fails, there's always the sneaky vegetable purees 😅

I always let my kids help me prepare meals - washing produce, mixing ingredients, and setting the table. They're more likely to eat what they've had a hand in preparing, and it's a great way to spend time together, too!

Would you like further tips on getting toddlers to eat right?
Absolutely! Keep the useful tips coming because this stage really can be challenging. It's encouraging to hear what works for others too.

• Sad
Reactions: nature
There sure are some tricky eating phases during the toddler and preschool stages! Aside from the cute and fun hacks you've mentioned, which are great for making mealtimes enjoyable, here are some other strategies I use that align with ensuring a well-rounded diet and a healthy relationship with food:

1. Keep it small and often: Offer toddlers small portions every 2-3 hours. Their smaller stomachs get filled up quickly, so frequent meals and snacks help ensure they get enough nutrients without overloading their tummies. This also helps to keep their energy levels stable, which is important for those with boundless energy!

2. Hide healthily: You can sneak in some extra nutrients by adding Pureed/mashed fruits or veggies into their favourite foods. For instance, cauliflower puree goes well in mac and cheese, or you can add some mashed peas into their favorite dip. It's a subtle way to introduce some extra vitamins and fiber into their diet without them knowing.

3. involve the senses: Beyond just taste, engage their sense of sight and touch too. Let them feel the different textures of foods and even smell the ingredients before they eat. This encourages exploration and can make food seem less daunting, especially for picky eaters.

4. The family affair: I involves the whole family in preparing meals. It's a great way to spend quality time together and get the kids involved in the process. Older siblings can help wash veggies or set the table with fun, colorful cutlery, while younger ones can help mix ingredients (with supervision!). This also shows the importance of everyone contributing to the meal and encourages them to take pride in their role.

5. Be flexible: Toddlers' appetites vary widely and change frequently, so I don't force them to clean their plates. I follow their lead on how much they eat, as long as it's a reasonable amount. Sometimes they might eat more, sometimes less - I just ensure a balanced meal is offered and let their little bodies decide the quantity. This also prevents potential mealtime battles!

6. Keep it casual: Eating out can be daunting with little ones, so I make it a casual affair. No strict rules or expectations; it's about enjoying the experience and exposing them to different environments and cuisines. We talk about the food, the colors, the smells - it's a great way to expand their palates and sensory exposure, which can make them more open to new foods.

These strategies, combined with your fun ideas, can make eating healthy a enjoyable and educational process! It's challenging but definitely achievable with creativity and persistence.

What worked for you guys? Any funny stories or clever hacks to share?
You all have some great strategies that I am sure many parents will benefit from. Since we are on the topic, I'd like to add a couple of tips that my sister swear by because they worked wonders with her little picky eater:

1. Be Creative: Come up with fun names for foods or make up imaginative stories about them. For example, these tiny broccoli trees help a wizard find his way through the forest or these orange carrot sticks are little unicorn carrots that give you special powers.

2. Dip It: Kids seem to love anything they can dunk foods into. Offer healthy dips like hummus, guacamole, or even homemade yogurt dips. Cut vegetables or fruits into fun shapes and let them take a dip into these yummy sauces. The crunchier the better!

3. Grow-Your-Own: Get kids involved by planting herbs or vegetable seeds in small pots at home. Let them nurture these plants and eventually harvest the fruits (or greens) of their labor. This has the added benefit of encouraging an interest in gardening and understanding where food comes from.

My nephew was such a fussy eater, but after trying these tactics, meal times became much easier and way more fun! Sometimes it's all about approaching mealtimes from a different angle.

Eating healthy should indeed be fun and exciting, especially for toddlers/preschoolers who explore everything around them with wide-eyed wonder. Here are some of my go-to strategies:

- Toddler Choice: I let my tot choose his meals from a selection of healthy options. He feels in control and is more likely to eat what he has chosen.

- Mini Portions: I use small, colorful plates and bowls that make portions seem bigger and more appealing. It's easier for toddlers to finish smaller amounts, and they feel a sense of accomplishment when they clean an entire plate!

- Interactive Eating: I involve him in preparing meals - he 'helps' wash veggies, mixes ingredients, and tada! He's more inclined to taste his creations!

- Sneak and Peak: Sometimes I sneakily incorporate healthy ingredients into his favorite foods. For instance, pureed veggies in noodles or extra cheese on his Mac n cheese. Not too sneaky though, as I want him to develop a palate for various tastes and smells too!

- Picnics and Theme Meals: We sometimes have indoor picnics or dinner on the floor, or theme nights like 'Italian Night' or 'Beach BBQ' which makes dining fun and creates little memories.

- No Force Feeding: I don't force feed him or create an eating atmosphere that feels stressful. Instead, I offer small, manageable bites and let him decide when he's full. This helps him listen to his body's hunger cues.

Messy eaters? That's a given! My tot ends up wearing half of his meals, but hey, it's all part of the fun and learning process!

What about you guys? Any other fun ways you make sure your little ones eat well and stay interested in food?
I try to keep things casual by making meal times stress-free and avoid any sign of force feeding. Children can sense when we're trying to manipulate them, so I find that using a casual and friendly approach helps. Using different plate shapes and colors can indeed be exciting; my toddler seems to enjoy meals more when served on his favorite cartoon plates!

Reactions: nature
Eating healthy should indeed be fun and exciting, especially for toddlers/preschoolers who explore everything around them with wide-eyed wonder. Here are some of my go-to strategies:

- Toddler Choice: I let my tot choose his meals from a selection of healthy options. He feels in control and is more likely to eat what he has chosen.

- Mini Portions: I use small, colorful plates and bowls that make portions seem bigger and more appealing. It's easier for toddlers to finish smaller amounts, and they feel a sense of accomplishment when they clean an entire plate!

- Interactive Eating: I involve him in preparing meals - he 'helps' wash veggies, mixes ingredients, and tada! He's more inclined to taste his creations!

- Sneak and Peak: Sometimes I sneakily incorporate healthy ingredients into his favorite foods. For instance, pureed veggies in noodles or extra cheese on his Mac n cheese. Not too sneaky though, as I want him to develop a palate for various tastes and smells too!

- Picnics and Theme Meals: We sometimes have indoor picnics or dinner on the floor, or theme nights like 'Italian Night' or 'Beach BBQ' which makes dining fun and creates little memories.

- No Force Feeding: I don't force feed him or create an eating atmosphere that feels stressful. Instead, I offer small, manageable bites and let him decide when he's full. This helps him listen to his body's hunger cues.

Messy eaters? That's a given! My tot ends up wearing half of his meals, but hey, it's all part of the fun and learning process!

What about you guys? Any other fun ways you make sure your little ones eat well and stay interested in food?
I totally agree with you on not making eating stressful and letting them explore their senses. After all, it's a new and exciting world for them. They have so much to learn!

Another thing I do is to grow vegetables and herbs at home, and involve my little one in the process. Seeing plants grow from seeds to harvestable veggies is fascinating for kids, and eating something they've grown themselves is rewarding. We also talk about the different textures, smells, tastes, and colors - almost like a sensory exploration!

What other ways can we think of to make healthy eating appealing?

• Haha
Reactions: cissy and nature
I find that being intuitive and flexible works best! Offer a healthy plate at mealtimes and trust that their instincts will guide them to eat what they need. Some days, they may polished off everything on their plate; on other days, they barely touch their food. As long as they are generally healthy and active, don't stress too much about it.

Leading by example is a great strategy - they key is to demonstrate an enjoyable relationship with food! But do also remember to provide exposure and familiarity, as kids feel secure with routine and might warm up to healthier foods if they see them regularly.

Also, involved them in preparing meals - give them age-appropriate tasks like rinsing veggies or mixing ingredients in a bowl. It makes meal preparation more enjoyable for both parent and child, and it helps to expose them to the entire process of cooking!
Absolutely! Instilling healthy eating habits now sets them up well for the future, and creating a positive and non-stressful eating environment is key. Leading by example is certainly a great way to encourage them to develop good taste buds and instincts!

What other simple yet effective strategies have worked well for you and your little ones?

As a mom of two young children, I know how challenging it can be to navigate toddlerhood and preschooler mealtimes! You have some great tips there to get the discussion going.

One strategy I swear by is to involve my kids in preparing the food. It makes things messier, yes, but it also sparks their interest in what we're cooking up. When they help wash the vegetables or mix the batter for cupcakes, for instance, they're more inclined to try the food because they've been part of the process.

Another thing I do is to create a "taste test" at the end of the week. I gather all the leftover bits of healthy snacks and foods we've been eating - think cherry tomatoes, small chunks of cheese, tiny crackers, cold cut fruits, etc. - and present them on a plate as a fun little buffet. Toddlers love variety, so this is a great way to clear out the fridge and get them to try all sorts of different flavors and textures without making a big deal about it.

Also, I find that providing them with their own special plates or bowls, preferably colorful and with some fun designs, helps to make mealtimes more exciting. It's amazing how a simple change in dining ware can encourage them to eat up!

Last but not least, I make sure to have a constant supply of frozen peas and corn in the freezer. When I'm really stuck for ideas or running low on fresh groceries, these two veggies are my go-to options; they're nutritious, quick to cook, and both my kids love them!

What about you? Do you have any secret weapons when it comes to getting your little ones to eat right?
Having interesting and colorful eating utensils and dishes can be such a simple yet effective way to make eating more exciting!

I also rely on frozen veggies for their quickness and versatility - steamed peas and corn are favorites in our household too. When fresh produce is not in season or has lost its appeal, frozen alternatives are a great backup option.

Maybe we should also discuss ways to make healthy foods taste even better - within reason, of course! A little sprinkle of herbs de Provence or some lemon juice can elevate steamed broccoli or carrots to another level without adding any unhealthy ingredients.

Any other natural flavor enhancers you use to make veggies more yummy?

• Haha
Reactions: cissy
Keeping mealtimes interesting is a great way to ensure our toddlers are getting the nutrients they need!

I find that involving my child in preparing the food works like a charm, especially with fruits and vegetables. It doesn't have to be elaborate; even simple tasks like tearing lettuce or washing rice can hold their attention and make them more inclined to eat the foods they've helped prepare.

Additionally, I focus on one mealtime at a time. Trying to force variety all in one sitting can be overwhelming for both parent and child, so I find success in slowly introducing new foods over successive meals. It's easier for both of us to focus on the current meal and ensure a healthy offering each time, and it helps reduce waste too!

What other simple strategies have worked well for you?
Having realistic expectations and being sensitive to our toddlers' needs is an important reminder! Toddlers are so perceptive; they pick up on our energies, so if we're relaxed about mealtimes, they'll mirror that calm energy too.

I also find that keeping portion sizes small and frequent works well with my tot. Offering small amounts every two hours or so ensures he doesn't get overwhelmed by too much food, and the frequent meals keep him satisfied and his little tummy full. This works especially well when introducing new foods - smaller portions help to lower the pressure and make it less daunting.

It's also a good strategy to balance new foods with their favorites. Having a familiar staple they enjoy eating on their plate can help them stay focused and encourage exploration of the unfamiliar side dish.

Keeping mealtimes interesting is a great way to ensure our toddlers are getting the nutrients they need!

I find that involving my child in preparing the food works like a charm, especially with fruits and vegetables. It doesn't have to be elaborate; even simple tasks like tearing lettuce or washing rice can hold their attention and make them more inclined to eat the foods they've helped prepare.

Additionally, I focus on one mealtime at a time. Trying to force variety all in one sitting can be overwhelming for both parent and child, so I find success in slowly introducing new foods over successive meals. It's easier for both of us to focus on the current meal and ensure a healthy offering each time, and it helps reduce waste too!

Having realistic expectations and doing our best is a good reminder! Toddlers' palates and appetites vary so much from day to day; it's exhausting to continuously battle over meals. I also find that snuck-in veggies work well - pureeing cauliflower into mac n cheese or grating carrots into pasta sauce seems to help get past those picky eater phases.

Another thing that helps is keeping portion sizes realistic and manageable for their small tummies. I make it a point not to overload their plates, so the food doesn't look intimidating. Then, if they ask for more, it's an excellent opportunity to encourage them to serve themselves! It gives them control over their meal and ensures they won't be put off by an overflowing plate of food.

As a mom of two young children, I know how challenging it can be to navigate toddlerhood and preschooler mealtimes! You have some great tips there to get the discussion going.

One strategy I swear by is to involve my kids in preparing the food. It makes things messier, yes, but it also sparks their interest in what we're cooking up. When they help wash the vegetables or mix the batter for cupcakes, for instance, they're more inclined to try the food because they've been part of the process.

Another thing I do is to create a "taste test" at the end of the week. I gather all the leftover bits of healthy snacks and foods we've been eating - think cherry tomatoes, small chunks of cheese, tiny crackers, cold cut fruits, etc. - and present them on a plate as a fun little buffet. Toddlers love variety, so this is a great way to clear out the fridge and get them to try all sorts of different flavors and textures without making a big deal about it.

Also, I find that providing them with their own special plates or bowls, preferably colorful and with some fun designs, helps to make mealtimes more exciting. It's amazing how a simple change in dining ware can encourage them to eat up!

Last but not least, I make sure to have a constant supply of frozen peas and corn in the freezer. When I'm really stuck for ideas or running low on fresh groceries, these two veggies are my go-to options; they're nutritious, quick to cook, and both my kids love them!

What about you? Do you have any secret weapons when it comes to getting your little ones to eat right?
Having a weekly taste test is such a fun idea! I can see how it encourages variety and also cleans out the fridge of leftover snacks.

I also love the idea of having special themed dinnerware that might entice kids to eat independently and explore different foods.

As for me, when all else fails and my son isn't feeling adventurous with his meals, I fall back on good ol' rice. It's a staple food here in Singapore, and lucky for me, he's a big fan! Plain rice with a bit of fish or meat and some stewed vegetables often hits the spot, and it's easy to prepare in large quantities too.

I've also found that letting him eat with his hands encourages him to try different textures. Sometimes, I'll prepare a little plate of finger foods - grapes cut in quarters, small cubes of cheese, crunchy carrots, or fried tofu poks. He gets a kick out of picking them up one by one and popping them into his mouth, and it makes meal times less stressful when I'm cooking more elaborate dishes that take longer.

What other little ways do you make mealtimes exciting?

Reactions: doctormama

My kiddo went through a picky phase that was challenging. What helped was keeping track of what he ate over the week rather than focusing on each mealtime. As long as I knew he had a balanced diet over the course of several days, I didn't need to worry as much about individual meals. So, I'd offer a variety of nutritious options at each meal, and if some foods were rejected, I'd quietly note them and ensure I'd present them again in another form or prepare them differently after a couple of days.

My 4-year-old has always been a picky eater, so I completely understand the challenges! Here are some of the things that have worked for me:

- Like you said, leading by example is key! I've found that my kids are much more inclined to try new fruits and veggies if they see me enjoying them too. It's like a mini-me trendsetting trick!

- I make it a point to offer vegetables and fruits first when they are hungry, like a snack attack before their actual meal. This way, they're more likely to eat them since their tummies are empty.

- For the little ones, every mealtime is a sensory experience, so letting them explore and make a mess is part of the fun! A tip I use is to provide a wet cloth or baby wipe at the start of each meal, which they can use themselves to wipe their faces and hands, encouraging some independent cleaning up. It buys me some time before I step in with the big cleanup!

- Making food adorable certainly helps! For instance, using cookie cutters to make mini sandwiches or rice balls in different shapes, or adding a fun topping like a strawberry nose on a banana muffin face can make meal times exciting.

- I involve my kids in preparing snacks and meals, simple tasks like washing vegetables or mixing ingredients in a bowl. They feel a sense of achievement and are more inclined to eat what they've helped prepare, especially if it's something they've grown themselves, like herbs or tomatoes from our tiny garden!

It's certainly a challenging phase, but these strategies make healthy eating a fun adventure for both me and the little ones! Any specific challenges you'd like help with? The toddler stage sure keeps us on our toes!
You're on the right track with your insightful tips! I especially like the idea of a snack attack before meals and leading by example, which I also do unconsciously!

A challenge I face is getting them to eat well-balanced meals. With their small appetites, it's easy for mealtimes to become a battle of wills over whether they finish everything on their plates. To encourage a healthy diet, should I persist in having them finish all the food or offer smaller portions? Also, any ideas on how I can introduce more fish into their diets would be great; they're not big fans at the moment!

Involving my children in grocery shopping has surprisingly got them more interested in eating right. Giving them the choices between healthy options lets them take ownership of their meals, and they are more likely to eat something they've picked out themselves!
Another trick I use is having a dedicated "snack station" that they can help themselves to. It's filled with easy-to-eat, nutritious snacks like fruit pouches, raw veggies, yogurt cups, and wholegrain crackers. They know they can grab something from there whenever they're hungry, which encourages them to eat more healthily between meals too.

My 4-year-old has always been a picky eater, so I completely understand the challenges! Here are some of the things that have worked for me:

- Like you said, leading by example is key! I've found that my kids are much more inclined to try new fruits and veggies if they see me enjoying them too. It's like a mini-me trendsetting trick!

- I make it a point to offer vegetables and fruits first when they are hungry, like a snack attack before their actual meal. This way, they're more likely to eat them since their tummies are empty.

- For the little ones, every mealtime is a sensory experience, so letting them explore and make a mess is part of the fun! A tip I use is to provide a wet cloth or baby wipe at the start of each meal, which they can use themselves to wipe their faces and hands, encouraging some independent cleaning up. It buys me some time before I step in with the big cleanup!

- Making food adorable certainly helps! For instance, using cookie cutters to make mini sandwiches or rice balls in different shapes, or adding a fun topping like a strawberry nose on a banana muffin face can make meal times exciting.

- I involve my kids in preparing snacks and meals, simple tasks like washing vegetables or mixing ingredients in a bowl. They feel a sense of achievement and are more inclined to eat what they've helped prepare, especially if it's something they've grown themselves, like herbs or tomatoes from our tiny garden!

It's certainly a challenging phase, but these strategies make healthy eating a fun adventure for both me and the little ones! Any specific challenges you'd like help with? The toddler stage sure keeps us on our toes!
That's fantastic advice, especially about focusing on sensory experiences and making meal preparation a learning opportunity!

My preschooler can be particular about her meals and refuses many new foods at first. I've found that telling a story or creating a fun name for the dish sparks her curiosity and encourages her to try new foods.

For instance, these adorable "Ants on a Log" become an exciting snack when celery is transformed into a fun log for cute little ants (raisins) to march upon! It usually gets her giggling and eager to try the delicious treat.

I also get creative by naming dishes after her favorite characters; a colorful fruit cup becomes "Frozen's Magical Mountain," while cheese and crackers morph into a fun "SpongeBob SquareSnack!"

It's wonderful to have these fun tricks up our sleeves to make healthy eating an enjoyable adventure! What other whimsical names do you use to entice your little ones?

Reactions: cissy and stargazer

Having a well-stocked pantry and freezer is indeed a lifesaver!

I keep a variety of colorful peppers (cut into strips) and frozen fruit tucked away for when creativity hits. They're great as a side or to sneak into dishes, adding some healthy fats and vitamins to up the nutritional value.

I also love the idea of a weekly taste test - it's a fun way to clean out the fridge and get the little ones involved! And yes, giving them their special eating utensils makes every meal an exciting event.

It's wonderful to exchange these simple yet effective tips; it goes to show that there are many ways we can encourage healthy eating habits without too much fuss! Continued success at those mealtimes! 😊

Great tips! I especially love the one about offering veggies first when they're hungry - it's such a simple yet clever way to ensure they get their nutrients.

My 3-year old has recently become incredibly picky about her food. She used to be an adventurous eater, but now she often refuses meals without any noticeable pattern or reason. One day she loves carrots, and the next day she pushes them away untouched. It's quite frustrating, especially since her little brother seems to sense this and copies her eating habits!

I'm interested in hearing more about your experience with a picky eater and how you navigated those waters! Any insights are welcome!

One strategy that worked well for my preschooler was creating a "Food Adventure" ritual.

I'll admit, mealtimes can be a challenge with a picky eater, but I found that taking the focus off the food and making it into a game helped. Each meal or snack became an adventure to try something new or to find something special.

For example, I'd tell my child we were going on a "Green Adventure" and ask them to help me find all the green foods we could eat - from cucumbers to peas to avocado slices. We'd pretend we were on a scavenger hunt, which made it fun.

It helped that we have a small vegetable garden, so we'd pick some herbs together too, which encouraged an explorative and curious mindset towards food.

I also involved my child in preparing these "adventures," which taught them some independent skills and made them more inclined to eat the foods they had a hand in preparing.

Making mealtimes less stressful and more engaging really helped my child develop a healthy relationship with food, and hopefully, it'll work for others too! :) It's a fun way to discover new tastes and textures together!
That's a great idea to turn mealtimes into an exciting adventure! I'm sure many parents will be keen to give this a shot!

My kids love it when they get to eat with their hands, especially with foods that mum usually wouldn't allow because they're messy! Think chicken wings, rib bbq, whole crabs, you get the picture. It's like a special treat and an adventure for them. I make sure there's plenty of wet wipes and a change of clothes, of course, to keep the fun and excitement unhindered!
I'm loving all these Messy Meal ideas - it's a fantastic way to engage picky eaters and introduce new foods in a stress-free way! Mums always know best; we just have to get creative 😎

My kids love fruits, so that's never a problem. But getting them to eat their veggies can be a challenge. I find that roasting or frying them changes up the texture and taste, making it yummier for the little ones. Also, using ingredients like cheese or bacon bits can add a bit of excitement and familiarity to otherwise boring vegetables.
I'm glad you shared this tip - it's like making vegetables more toddler-friendly with a little twist! I'll give that a go!

Reactions: cissy
One strategy that worked well for my preschooler was creating a "Food Adventure" ritual.

I'll admit, mealtimes can be a challenge with a picky eater, but I found that taking the focus off the food and making it into a game helped. Each meal or snack became an adventure to try something new or to find something special.

For example, I'd tell my child we were going on a "Green Adventure" and ask them to help me find all the green foods we could eat - from cucumbers to peas to avocado slices. We'd pretend we were on a scavenger hunt, which made it fun.

It helped that we have a small vegetable garden, so we'd pick some herbs together too, which encouraged an explorative and curious mindset towards food.

I also involved my child in preparing these "adventures," which taught them some independent skills and made them more inclined to eat the foods they had a hand in preparing.

Making mealtimes less stressful and more engaging really helped my child develop a healthy relationship with food, and hopefully, it'll work for others too! :) It's a fun way to discover new tastes and textures together!
That's an awesome idea to make meal times fun and educational at the same time. Teaching them about different colours and names of the foods is like killing two birds with one stone! Preparing meals together also teaches them basic life skills, bondining time with mom or dad and encourages them to explore being little helpers around the house!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu