• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Taming

it's definitely a enjoyable challenge to match our parenting skills to each of their unique personalities!
Figuring out what works best for our little ones is a trial-and-error process. But it's encouraging to know that other parents are also navigating through similar situations and challenges!

Figuring out what works best for our little ones is a trial-and-error process. But it's encouraging to know that other parents are also navigating through similar situations and challenges!
That's true! Seeing others go through the same experiences helps, especially when we can share strategies!

That's true! Seeing others go through the same experiences helps, especially when we can share strategies!
It's great to see parents helping each other out with their tried-and-tested methods! Does anyone have any other effective distractions they've used during public meltdowns? Remember, every toddler is different, so the more ideas, the merrier! A shared experience is a chance to learn something new.

It's great to see parents helping each other out with their tried-and-tested methods! Does anyone have any other effective distractions they've used during public meltdowns? Remember, every toddler is different, so the more ideas, the merrier! A shared experience is a chance to learn something new.
When my daughter threw a tantrum in a mall once, I found that taking her out of the situation helped to calm her down. I brought her outside the busy mall and sat her down at a nearby café. The change of scenery and a breather from the stimulations seemed to help her relax, and we could go back inside after some fresh air.

I've also heard of parents having success in diverting attention by playing simple games like 'peekaboo' or using playtime squeaky toys. Something about the unpredictability of these toys captures their attention and shifts their focus from the initial trigger of their meltdown.

When my daughter threw a tantrum in a mall once, I found that taking her out of the situation helped to calm her down. I brought her outside the busy mall and sat her down at a nearby café. The change of scenery and a breather from the stimulations seemed to help her relax, and we could go back inside after some fresh air.

I've also heard of parents having success in diverting attention by playing simple games like 'peekaboo' or using playtime squeaky toys. Something about the unpredictability of these toys captures their attention and shifts their focus from the initial trigger of their meltdown.
Changing the environment is a great idea! Removing your tot from the stimulating and stressful situation can help calm both of you down. I've also found that carrying a compact and quiet fidget toy or two in my bag, like those squishy stress balls or small kinetic sand, can help divert attention and provide some sensory relief when needed. The goal is to remove the focus from the overwhelming surroundings and redirect it onto something more soothing.

What other tricks do you ladies have up your sleeves for public tantrums? We can never be too prepared!

Changing the environment is a great idea! Removing your tot from the stimulating and stressful situation can help calm both of you down. I've also found that carrying a compact and quiet fidget toy or two in my bag, like those squishy stress balls or small kinetic sand, can help divert attention and provide some sensory relief when needed. The goal is to remove the focus from the overwhelming surroundings and redirect it onto something more soothing.

What other tricks do you ladies have up your sleeves for public tantrums? We can never be too prepared!
You're right; being prepared gives us a little more confidence when dealing with these situations. Besides the environment change, I keep a couple of toddler snacks in my bag these days, following an incident where my little one attracted a swarm of bees! It seems they were attracted to the sticky remnants on her hands from an earlier lollipop.

Having a small packet of her favourite crackers distracted her long enough for me to assess the bee situation and figure out how to remove them safely without getting stung!

You're right; being prepared gives us a little more confidence when dealing with these situations. Besides the environment change, I keep a couple of toddler snacks in my bag these days, following an incident where my little one attracted a swarm of bees! It seems they were attracted to the sticky remnants on her hands from an earlier lollipop.

Having a small packet of her favourite crackers distracted her long enough for me to assess the bee situation and figure out how to remove them safely without getting stung!
Yes, snacks are a great idea - tot-approved and useful in many situations! Mine would go for savory crackers over sweet treats any day, so I keep those handy. And it's amazing how having food can sometimes divert their focus from continuing a meltdown, haha. A little bribe never hurt anybody... ;D

Yes, snacks are a great idea - tot-approved and useful in many situations! Mine would go for savory crackers over sweet treats any day, so I keep those handy. And it's amazing how having food can sometimes divert their focus from continuing a meltdown, haha. A little bribe never hurt anybody... ;D
I've also found that teaching them simple games like 'Pat-a-cake' or action rhymes like 'Itsy Bitsy Spider' helps too! It occupies their minds and is a good distraction from the public tantrum triggers. These tricks tire them out quicker than melt downs too!

I've also found that teaching them simple games like 'Pat-a-cake' or action rhymes like 'Itsy Bitsy Spider' helps too! It occupies their minds and is a good distraction from the public tantrum triggers. These tricks tire them out quicker than melt downs too!
It's impressive how resourceful and creative we mothers can get when faced with these challenges. What other fun tricks do you guys have? Share the joy of discovery, folks! ;D

It's impressive how resourceful and creative we mothers can get when faced with these challenges. What other fun tricks do you guys have? Share the joy of discovery, folks! ;D
We've established that distraction is key, whether removing them from the situation or using toys and treats. As a travel blogger, I'm always on the ball, observing little ones' reactions to different environments. When all else fails, getting them to help you with simple tasks like taking photos can be fun. Getting them involved in the process might just snap them out of the grouchy mood!

We've established that distraction is key, whether removing them from the situation or using toys and treats. As a travel blogger, I'm always on the ball, observing little ones' reactions to different environments. When all else fails, getting them to help you with simple tasks like taking photos can be fun. Getting them involved in the process might just snap them out of the grouchy mood!
You're right; children love being given responsibilities and being treated as little adults. It makes them feel included and important. That's a good trick to have up your sleeve, especially when exploring new places together!

You're right; children love being given responsibilities and being treated as little adults. It makes them feel included and important. That's a good trick to have up your sleeve, especially when exploring new places together!
passing them a toy camera or your actual phone could buy you some peace and quiet! But it's also crucial to remember every child is unique, and what works for one might not work for another; keep sharing everyone! 😊

passing them a toy camera or your actual phone could buy you some peace and quiet! But it's also crucial to remember every child is unique, and what works for one might not work for another; keep sharing everyone! 😊
Absolutely! Every toddler has their own quirks and preferences. My daughter loves playing with a small magnifying glass (the kind that comes in kids' explorer sets), which I find very odd but effective in keeping her occupied during melt downs. The mundane object seems to captivate her enough to forget about throwing a tantrum, probably because it's so different from her other toys. It's intriguing how something so simple can be fascinating to them!

Absolutely! Every toddler has their own quirks and preferences. My daughter loves playing with a small magnifying glass (the kind that comes in kids' explorer sets), which I find very odd but effective in keeping her occupied during melt downs. The mundane object seems to captivate her enough to forget about throwing a tantrum, probably because it's so different from her other toys. It's intriguing how something so simple can be fascinating to them!
Yes, toddlers are mysterious little creatures with unique personalities and preferences. My son loves anything to do with balls, so a small deflated balloon would instantly cheer him up. Anything sports-related seems to attract his attention, but of course, this is not typical for all children! keeping them engaged is half the battle won!

Yes, toddlers are mysterious little creatures with unique personalities and preferences. My son loves anything to do with balls, so a small deflated balloon would instantly cheer him up. Anything sports-related seems to attract his attention, but of course, this is not typical for all children! keeping them engaged is half the battle won!
That's true - finding what fascinates each child especially helps in tricky situations like these! It's a good idea to observe and take note of their interests. Balloons and sports equipment are certainly attention-grabbers!

That's true - finding what fascinates each child especially helps in tricky situations like these! It's a good idea to observe and take note of their interests. Balloons and sports equipment are certainly attention-grabbers!
Toddlers really are individuals, aren't they? My little one is completely balloon obsessed too, but takes after her mother with a love for all things musical. A small toy tambourine or maraca would be her idea of a treat and instantly calms her down!

Toddlers really are individuals, aren't they? My little one is completely balloon obsessed too, but takes after her mother with a love for all things musical. A small toy tambourine or maraca would be her idea of a treat and instantly calms her down!
Yes, it's interesting how Toddlers have such strong opinions and unique personalities even at that young age! My daughter seems to also have a knack for remembering interesting objects, which later becomes a fascination. I suppose this helps in developing their senses, too.

What are some other quirky things your little ones are into?

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
Yes, it's interesting how Toddlers have such strong opinions and unique personalities even at that young age! My daughter seems to also have a knack for remembering interesting objects, which later becomes a fascination. I suppose this helps in developing their senses, too.

What are some other quirky things your little ones are into?
My son could sit for hours with his collection of rocks and pebbles. He has a bag of interesting stones that he has picked up on our walks and seems to enjoy examining them. He also loves playing with his mini magnifying glass, as I mentioned earlier! It's like an affordable treasure hunt or an adventure sport for him!

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
My son could sit for hours with his collection of rocks and pebbles. He has a bag of interesting stones that he has picked up on our walks and seems to enjoy examining them. He also loves playing with his mini magnifying glass, as I mentioned earlier! It's like an affordable treasure hunt or an adventure sport for him!
I agree that children can be so fascinating with their various interests! My daughter used to love collecting pretty leaves and sticks on our walks - anything that glittered or sparkled also caught her eye! She'd often bring these finds home, much like your son's rock collection. They do seem to enjoy nature's treats don't they?

I agree that children can be so fascinating with their various interests! My daughter used to love collecting pretty leaves and sticks on our walks - anything that glittered or sparkled also caught her eye! She'd often bring these finds home, much like your son's rock collection. They do seem to enjoy nature's treats don't they?
Yes Free entertainment at its best hahaha... Though I must admit, it can be quite a challenge to keep up with their ever-changing interests and favourites! Their curiosity keeps us on our toes! Do share if any of you have discovered any consistent secrets to toddler taming!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu