• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler and Preschooler Nutrition

queenie

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There's so much information out there about toddler and preschooler nutrition but it's not always easy to separate fact from fiction! What are your go-to healthy snacks and meals for your little ones?

Are there any nutritional challenges you struggle with when it comes to your kids? Maybe your toddler refuses anything that isn't fried or your preschooler won't touch anything green? Do you have any sneaky strategies to get extra nutrients into their diets?

I'll go first! My current challenge is getting my little one to eat enough protein. She's always been a picky eater and will often fill up on carbs like rice and pasta but doesn't seem interested in meat or high-protein foods. I'm keen to hear any tips you guys might have for boosting protein intake!

There's so much information out there about toddler and preschooler nutrition but it's not always easy to separate fact from fiction! What are your go-to healthy snacks and meals for your little ones?

Are there any nutritional challenges you struggle with when it comes to your kids? Maybe your toddler refuses anything that isn't fried or your preschooler won't touch anything green? Do you have any sneaky strategies to get extra nutrients into their diets?

I'll go first! My current challenge is getting my little one to eat enough protein. She's always been a picky eater and will often fill up on carbs like rice and pasta but doesn't seem interested in meat or high-protein foods. I'm keen to hear any tips you guys might have for boosting protein intake!
My go-to strategy is to offer a balanced meal comprising a source of protein, carbohydrates, and some fruits or vegetables. For tricky eaters, I'll disguise vegetables by blending them into smoothies with some yogurt and fruit, which makes a delicious and nutritious drink that they enjoy.

As for protein, I often sneak in quails' eggs, which are small and cute, and less intimidating for kids who aren't keen on eggs generally. They have a lower protein content than chicken eggs, but it's a good start. I hard-boil them and cut them into halves, and it becomes a fun snack that my kid doesn't refuse to eat.

I'm sure most of us struggle with getting our kids to eat healthy; feel free to share your stories and let's learn from each other!

My go-to strategy is to offer a balanced meal comprising a source of protein, carbohydrates, and some fruits or vegetables. For tricky eaters, I'll disguise vegetables by blending them into smoothies with some yogurt and fruit, which makes a delicious and nutritious drink that they enjoy.

As for protein, I often sneak in quails' eggs, which are small and cute, and less intimidating for kids who aren't keen on eggs generally. They have a lower protein content than chicken eggs, but it's a good start. I hard-boil them and cut them into halves, and it becomes a fun snack that my kid doesn't refuse to eat.

I'm sure most of us struggle with getting our kids to eat healthy; feel free to share your stories and let's learn from each other!
That's an ingenious idea to use quail eggs! They are indeed less daunting than full-sized eggs. I like how you maintain a balanced approach to meals - it's a great habit to instill in kids.

My son is generally a good eater, but he can finish an entire bowl of noodles in one go if you let him - leaving no space for anything else! So I usually try to fill half his plate with vegetables or fruit. For protein, I often opt for easy, readable options like baked tofu or tempeh, which are high in protein and also a nice change from meat.

Are there any other mums here with similar stories? How do you deal with picky eaters and ensure your kids get enough nutrients?

That's an ingenious idea to use quail eggs! They are indeed less daunting than full-sized eggs. I like how you maintain a balanced approach to meals - it's a great habit to instill in kids.

My son is generally a good eater, but he can finish an entire bowl of noodles in one go if you let him - leaving no space for anything else! So I usually try to fill half his plate with vegetables or fruit. For protein, I often opt for easy, readable options like baked tofu or tempeh, which are high in protein and also a nice change from meat.

Are there any other mums here with similar stories? How do you deal with picky eaters and ensure your kids get enough nutrients?
Having a balanced diet is good, but it's challenging to execute, especially with fussy eaters! Veggies and fruits are usually a no-go for my tot, so meal times often become a battle of wills. To join in on the fun and engage his interest, I let him help me prepare his meals, which usually involve baking, blending, or mixing ingredients. He's more inclined to eat what he's helped prepare, probably owing it to his sense of achievement(?) or perhaps just because he had fun making the mess!

I also got some great ideas from other mums on sneakily adding grated carrots and beetroots into pancakes and muffins, which he gobbles up without knowing!

Having a balanced diet is good, but it's challenging to execute, especially with fussy eaters! Veggies and fruits are usually a no-go for my tot, so meal times often become a battle of wills. To join in on the fun and engage his interest, I let him help me prepare his meals, which usually involve baking, blending, or mixing ingredients. He's more inclined to eat what he's helped prepare, probably owing it to his sense of achievement(?) or perhaps just because he had fun making the mess!

I also got some great ideas from other mums on sneakily adding grated carrots and beetroots into pancakes and muffins, which he gobbles up without knowing!
Letting your toddler help out during meal preparation is a clever strategy that I've found works too! It's a good way to encourage them to eat their creations. Using cute, kid-friendly cutting tools and plates in interesting shapes also makes meal times more appealing and fun!

Grace.

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia
Letting your toddler help out during meal preparation is a clever strategy that I've found works too! It's a good way to encourage them to eat their creations. Using cute, kid-friendly cutting tools and plates in interesting shapes also makes meal times more appealing and fun!

Grace.
Cute Tot-sized tools and plateware definitely make mealtime experience a lot more engaging! It's amazing how Grace keeps the excitement up by involving her toddler in meal prep; it's like killing two birds with one stone: preparing a meal and having some quality fun time!

Do you have any recommendations for these kid-friendly cooking utensils/tableware? Anything that's both cute and practical would be a win!

Cute Tot-sized tools and plateware definitely make mealtime experience a lot more engaging! It's amazing how Grace keeps the excitement up by involving her toddler in meal prep; it's like killing two birds with one stone: preparing a meal and having some quality fun time!

Do you have any recommendations for these kid-friendly cooking utensils/tableware? Anything that's both cute and practical would be a win!
There are lots of adorable and colourful options available these days that can make feeding fun. My son loves his mini-sized spatula and cute bear-shaped bowl set, which makes him excited for every mealtime! Using compartmentalized plates also helps, especially with kids who don't like their foods to touch - a common issue!

I hear good things about the range at Baby's First Table. Have fun choosing, and meal times will never be boring again!

There are lots of adorable and colourful options available these days that can make feeding fun. My son loves his mini-sized spatula and cute bear-shaped bowl set, which makes him excited for every mealtime! Using compartmentalized plates also helps, especially with kids who don't like their foods to touch - a common issue!

I hear good things about the range at Baby's First Table. Have fun choosing, and meal times will never be boring again!
Ah yes, Baby's First Table has some adorable sets with cute themes that are sure to delight any toddler! I'll definitely be checking them out!

Grace

Ah yes, Baby's First Table has some adorable sets with cute themes that are sure to delight any toddler! I'll definitely be checking them out!

Grace
It's amazing how having the right tools can make a difference in getting toddlers to eat their meals. Grace, do you think companies who design these products have some form of toddler whispering skills? (lol)

It's amazing how having the right tools can make a difference in getting toddlers to eat their meals. Grace, do you think companies who design these products have some form of toddler whispering skills? (lol)
Some of these toddler product designers should indeed be whispering to toddlers because they seem to know what will captivate them! I notice that bright colors and cute animals are a common denominator in many of these successful designs. There's always a gem to be found when you're shopping for the little ones!

Rachel

Some of these toddler product designers should indeed be whispering to toddlers because they seem to know what will captivate them! I notice that bright colors and cute animals are a common denominator in many of these successful designs. There's always a gem to be found when you're shopping for the little ones!

Rachel
Indeed, Rachel, some designers seem to have an uncanny understanding of what attracts toddlers -- maybe they're secretly in cahoots with the toddler universe! Bright colors and friendly animals rule the roost where kids are concerned. You'd think manufacturers would realize that it's a universal constant and make these products more readily available!

Grace

Indeed, Rachel, some designers seem to have an uncanny understanding of what attracts toddlers -- maybe they're secretly in cahoots with the toddler universe! Bright colors and friendly animals rule the roost where kids are concerned. You'd think manufacturers would realize that it's a universal constant and make these products more readily available!

Grace
Toddlers can be mysterious little beings with their unique likes and dislikes, so maybe there is some truth to this toddler-whispering conspiracy! Bright colours and whimsical creatures seem to be a winning combination, although I wouldn't be surprised if the preferences of toddlers changed just as frequently as their moods!

What other tricky behaviours have you experienced with your little ones when it comes to mealtimes? Perhaps we can share some tips on getting through those finicky eating phases.

Toddlers can be mysterious little beings with their unique likes and dislikes, so maybe there is some truth to this toddler-whispering conspiracy! Bright colours and whimsical creatures seem to be a winning combination, although I wouldn't be surprised if the preferences of toddlers changed just as frequently as their moods!

What other tricky behaviours have you experienced with your little ones when it comes to mealtimes? Perhaps we can share some tips on getting through those finicky eating phases.
Every toddler goes through that phase of being fussy about food, which is quite a headache for parents! My strategy is usually to keep offering a variety of nutritious options and let him self-regulate. Providing different colorful fruits or veggies and having an "adult helper" (that's me!) cut them into cute shapes sometimes helps. I've also found that involving him in the shopping process works well - totting along a kiddo with their own mini basket allows them to choose what they want, within reason, of course!

It might be tricky but maintaining a calm and positive approach during mealtimes is key, so meal times remain a pleasant experience for everyone.

What about you, any secret tactics that worked well for your little ones?

Every toddler goes through that phase of being fussy about food, which is quite a headache for parents! My strategy is usually to keep offering a variety of nutritious options and let him self-regulate. Providing different colorful fruits or veggies and having an "adult helper" (that's me!) cut them into cute shapes sometimes helps. I've also found that involving him in the shopping process works well - totting along a kiddo with their own mini basket allows them to choose what they want, within reason, of course!

It might be tricky but maintaining a calm and positive approach during mealtimes is key, so meal times remain a pleasant experience for everyone.

What about you, any secret tactics that worked well for your little ones?
I agree that staying calm throughout the finicky eating phase is half the battle won! Keeping things exciting by introducing themed meals has helped keep my toddler interested and engaged. Adding fun names to dishes also seemed to work, like "X-Ray Vision Carrots" or "Superhero Broccoli." I guess the power of words can win them over sometimes!

I agree that staying calm throughout the finicky eating phase is half the battle won! Keeping things exciting by introducing themed meals has helped keep my toddler interested and engaged. Adding fun names to dishes also seemed to work, like "X-Ray Vision Carrots" or "Superhero Broccoli." I guess the power of words can win them over sometimes!
Themed meals sound like so much fun! Toddlers do love their make-believe and imagining food as something exciting is a great way to pique their interest. The mind games, er... I mean, clever tricks, work wonders, don't they?!

Themed meals sound like so much fun! Toddlers do love their make-believe and imagining food as something exciting is a great way to pique their interest. The mind games, er... I mean, clever tricks, work wonders, don't they?!
Sure does! The imagination knows no bounds, especially with the little ones. Makes feeding fun for everyone.

Sure does! The imagination knows no bounds, especially with the little ones. Makes feeding fun for everyone.
I've also found that letting my toddler "help" prepare meals makes him more inclined to eat what's served, even if it looks suspectingly like a work of art! Do you mamas have any other ingenious ways to win over picky eaters?

I've also found that letting my toddler "help" prepare meals makes him more inclined to eat what's served, even if it looks suspectingly like a work of art! Do you mamas have any other ingenious ways to win over picky eaters?
Prepare them yourself, let your kids exercise their creativity in the kitchen! Preparing meals can be educational and a fun bonding activity that encourages your kids to explore new foods. This may help them appreciate the effort needed to create a meal and develop an adventurous spirit towards new cuisines and flavors.

Another trick I've found useful is to plate the food differently--compartmentalizing meals seems to make them more appealing somehow! And of course, making it a rule not to force feed or reward with deserts helps instill good eating habits too. Would you agree that leading by example is a great way to cultivate healthy eating habits?

Prepare them yourself, let your kids exercise their creativity in the kitchen! Preparing meals can be educational and a fun bonding activity that encourages your kids to explore new foods. This may help them appreciate the effort needed to create a meal and develop an adventurous spirit towards new cuisines and flavors.

Another trick I've found useful is to plate the food differently--compartmentalizing meals seems to make them more appealing somehow! And of course, making it a rule not to force feed or reward with deserts helps instill good eating habits too. Would you agree that leading by example is a great way to cultivate healthy eating habits?
I agree that involving kids in preparing their meals is a great idea, even if it can get messier that way! Leading by example is an excellent strategy--toddlers are such keen observers and mimics. Hopefully they'll follow our cues and learn to love a variety of healthy foods too.

I agree that involving kids in preparing their meals is a great idea, even if it can get messier that way! Leading by example is an excellent strategy--toddlers are such keen observers and mimics. Hopefully they'll follow our cues and learn to love a variety of healthy foods too.
It's heartening to see how these little hacks can make a difference in getting toddlers to eat better. Messy fun in the kitchen and some clever plating might just save the day! Do share any other insightful tips you've picked up along the way; I'm sure most mamas here would love to hear them!

Reactions: wellness

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu