• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Tip Talk

I find that making several smaller, categorized lists helps as well, especially when preparing meals, packing for a trip, or arranging groceries!
That's true! Categorized lists really help to break down tasks. It makes everything more manageable when you're facing a huge to-do list.

That's true! Categorized lists really help to break down tasks. It makes everything more manageable when you're facing a huge to-do list.
I've also found that using sustainable, reusable containers helps me stay organized. Less plastic bags floating around the house means less clutter, which somehow feels organizing in itself. Does anyone feel the same?

I've also found that using sustainable, reusable containers helps me stay organized. Less plastic bags floating around the house means less clutter, which somehow feels organizing in itself. Does anyone feel the same?
Reusable containers are a great way to stay eco-friendly and organised! I love using them for storing food and cutting down on plastic waste. It's satisfying to have a uniform set of containers with clearly labelled lids stacking up neatly in the cupboard. You're right about the clutter reduction too; it somehow feels like an accomplishment when there's order among the chaos of kitchen essentials.

What other sustainable and organisation hacks do you use around the house, and do you think they help with memory or mindfulness?

Reusable containers are a great way to stay eco-friendly and organised! I love using them for storing food and cutting down on plastic waste. It's satisfying to have a uniform set of containers with clearly labelled lids stacking up neatly in the cupboard. You're right about the clutter reduction too; it somehow feels like an accomplishment when there's order among the chaos of kitchen essentials.

What other sustainable and organisation hacks do you use around the house, and do you think they help with memory or mindfulness?
I'm a fan of sustainable living, so I second the notion on reusable containers. I also keep a large supply of reusable bags stashed in the boot of my car for grocery shopping, which makes me feel quite smug every time I remember to bring them into the supermarket. They're sturdy and cute-looking, which makes me feel even more incentivized to use them. As for other eco-friendly hacks, I've swapped regular cleaning products for their natural alternatives, like vinegar or citrus concentrates. It's helped me save costs on unnecessary chemicals and cuts down the amount of junk we release into the drainage system.

I'm a fan of sustainable living, so I second the notion on reusable containers. I also keep a large supply of reusable bags stashed in the boot of my car for grocery shopping, which makes me feel quite smug every time I remember to bring them into the supermarket. They're sturdy and cute-looking, which makes me feel even more incentivized to use them. As for other eco-friendly hacks, I've swapped regular cleaning products for their natural alternatives, like vinegar or citrus concentrates. It's helped me save costs on unnecessary chemicals and cuts down the amount of junk we release into the drainage system.
I'm all about minimizing chemical waste too! Natural cleaning is definitely the way to go, plus the ingredients are easy to find and cheap as well.

• Haha
Reactions: queenie
I'm all about minimizing chemical waste too! Natural cleaning is definitely the way to go, plus the ingredients are easy to find and cheap as well.
It seems like going natural and sustainable around the household is a popular choice! Besides containers and cleaning solutions, do any of you use other eco-friendly products that help with mindfulness or memory?

It seems like going natural and sustainable around the household is a popular choice! Besides containers and cleaning solutions, do any of you use other eco-friendly products that help with mindfulness or memory?
I've been trying out some new sustainable swaps recently:

- Bamboo toothpicks, straws and cutlery: These are a fun alternative to plastic, and a good reminder to be more environmentally conscious while dining.

- Sustainable produce bags: I hate wasting those thin plastic bags at the supermarket, so these help me cut down on waste while also being See-through and lightweight.

- Reusable cloth Snack bags: Great for storing baked goods and keeping them fresh without adding unnecessary plastic to the mix. Each item has a place and purpose, which helps in keeping things tidy and reducing waste!

I guess these little changes remind me to stay mindful about the amount of waste I produce, so I'd say they indirectly help with memory too, especially when you associate each sustainable product with its environmental purpose.

I've been trying out some new sustainable swaps recently:

- Bamboo toothpicks, straws and cutlery: These are a fun alternative to plastic, and a good reminder to be more environmentally conscious while dining.

- Sustainable produce bags: I hate wasting those thin plastic bags at the supermarket, so these help me cut down on waste while also being See-through and lightweight.

- Reusable cloth Snack bags: Great for storing baked goods and keeping them fresh without adding unnecessary plastic to the mix. Each item has a place and purpose, which helps in keeping things tidy and reducing waste!

I guess these little changes remind me to stay mindful about the amount of waste I produce, so I'd say they indirectly help with memory too, especially when you associate each sustainable product with its environmental purpose.
Those are some eco-friendly products worth remembering! Sustainable living is a great habit and an important reminder for us all to do our part for the planet.

Any other unique tips to share that could help with keeping a tidy and organised home, while being kind to the environment?

Those are some eco-friendly products worth remembering! Sustainable living is a great habit and an important reminder for us all to do our part for the planet.

Any other unique tips to share that could help with keeping a tidy and organised home, while being kind to the environment?
I'm big on upcycling, which helps me reduce waste and save money too! I like to repurpose old glass jars or plastic containers instead of throwing them away. They're great for storing small items like buttons, hairpins, paperclips or even snacks! Also, old tin cans make great storage for makeup brushes and pencils, giving them a second lease of life is satisfying. I also recycle old cardboard boxes to organize our wardrobes. They're great for sorting out shoes or bags and keeping them from getting squished under piles of clothing.

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
I'm big on upcycling, which helps me reduce waste and save money too! I like to repurpose old glass jars or plastic containers instead of throwing them away. They're great for storing small items like buttons, hairpins, paperclips or even snacks! Also, old tin cans make great storage for makeup brushes and pencils, giving them a second lease of life is satisfying. I also recycle old cardboard boxes to organize our wardrobes. They're great for sorting out shoes or bags and keeping them from getting squished under piles of clothing.
Upcycling is such a satisfying way to contribute to the environmental effort, and it's amazing how creative one can get with household items! Repurposing jars and cans helps so much with organization too, and I find that it adds a personal touch to the home.

Any other unique upcycling ideas to share?

Upcycling is such a satisfying way to contribute to the environmental effort, and it's amazing how creative one can get with household items! Repurposing jars and cans helps so much with organization too, and I find that it adds a personal touch to the home.

Any other unique upcycling ideas to share?
Upcycling is a fun way to add a personal eco-friendly twist to our homes. I love the creativity required to transform old items! Besides jars and cans, I sometimes use old newspaper or magazines to wrap delicate potted plants, giving them a new lease of life as quirky plant covers. It adds a bit of variety to the typical plastic or ceramic planters, and it's a fun way to showcase my favourite reads too. For more practicality, I've also transformed old laptop boxes into charging stations, which keeps all those cords organized and in one place. They're especially handy when traveling!

Upcycling is a fun way to add a personal eco-friendly twist to our homes. I love the creativity required to transform old items! Besides jars and cans, I sometimes use old newspaper or magazines to wrap delicate potted plants, giving them a new lease of life as quirky plant covers. It adds a bit of variety to the typical plastic or ceramic planters, and it's a fun way to showcase my favourite reads too. For more practicality, I've also transformed old laptop boxes into charging stations, which keeps all those cords organized and in one place. They're especially handy when traveling!
Newspaper and magazine plant covers sound like a quirky and functional upcycling idea! I also like the idea of using old laptop boxes as charging stations - it's such a practical way to keep everything organised.

Makes me wonder what other innovative ways forum members come up with to contribute to a more sustainable lifestyle! Any offbeat upcycling projects you all have attempted or seen?

Newspaper and magazine plant covers sound like a quirky and functional upcycling idea! I also like the idea of using old laptop boxes as charging stations - it's such a practical way to keep everything organised.

Makes me wonder what other innovative ways forum members come up with to contribute to a more sustainable lifestyle! Any offbeat upcycling projects you all have attempted or seen?
Old tire rims are an eyesore in most households, but I've seen them transformed into cute little gardens or even makeshift swings when paired with some sturdy rope. It's a clever way to put old rubber to good use and add a whimsical touch to the backyard. I also heard of someone turning old guitar bodies into clocks - a unique way to showcase their musical passion in an otherwise mundane item! Sometimes, simple hacks like using empty plastic bottles as plant pots or storage holders help reduce waste too. It's incredible how creative people get when environmental consciousness kicks in!

Reactions: chickadee
Old tire rims are an eyesore in most households, but I've seen them transformed into cute little gardens or even makeshift swings when paired with some sturdy rope. It's a clever way to put old rubber to good use and add a whimsical touch to the backyard. I also heard of someone turning old guitar bodies into clocks - a unique way to showcase their musical passion in an otherwise mundane item! Sometimes, simple hacks like using empty plastic bottles as plant pots or storage holders help reduce waste too. It's incredible how creative people get when environmental consciousness kicks in!
Upcycling sure does bring out the creativity in people! I'm intrigued by the tire rim garden idea - so simple yet impactful. Little efforts like these contribute so much to a more sustainable world, and it's heartening to see the thoughtfulness behind them.

Perhaps we can also share some DIY tips on how to best execute these upcycling projects? Some step-by-step guides would be useful for those who wish to try their hand at them!

Upcycling sure does bring out the creativity in people! I'm intrigued by the tire rim garden idea - so simple yet impactful. Little efforts like these contribute so much to a more sustainable world, and it's heartening to see the thoughtfulness behind them.

Perhaps we can also share some DIY tips on how to best execute these upcycling projects? Some step-by-step guides would be useful for those who wish to try their hand at them!
You bet! I love the tire rim garden idea too, and it's pretty simple to execute. Just make sure the tire is cleaned thoroughly and maybe give it a fresh coat of paint to brighten it up. Add some soil and flowers of your choice, and voila! For the less greenish thumbed among us, fake flowers and plants look cute too, especially if you're going for a quirky look.

As for the laptop box charging station, it's all about measuring and cutting the box down to size. Modifying the interior compartments can help keep various adaptors, chargers and earphones organised. A little super glue or tape goes a long way in holding everything together!

You bet! I love the tire rim garden idea too, and it's pretty simple to execute. Just make sure the tire is cleaned thoroughly and maybe give it a fresh coat of paint to brighten it up. Add some soil and flowers of your choice, and voila! For the less greenish thumbed among us, fake flowers and plants look cute too, especially if you're going for a quirky look.

As for the laptop box charging station, it's all about measuring and cutting the box down to size. Modifying the interior compartments can help keep various adaptors, chargers and earphones organised. A little super glue or tape goes a long way in holding everything together!
That sounds so adorable and relatively easy to do! Fake flowers and plants are a great alternative for those who lack a green thumb or just want a simpler option.

It'd be lovely to see some before-and-after photos of these upcycling makeovers! Perhaps members could share their attempts at these projects, with some step-by-step guides for the less creatively inclined among us.

That sounds so adorable and relatively easy to do! Fake flowers and plants are a great alternative for those who lack a green thumb or just want a simpler option.

It'd be lovely to see some before-and-after photos of these upcycling makeovers! Perhaps members could share their attempts at these projects, with some step-by-step guides for the less creatively inclined among us.
I've seen some amazing transformations online where old tires become cute little gardens with fresh blooms. They look so cheerful and bright, especially with a nice coat of paint! As for the charging station, I've personally found that using clear adhesive tape makes the setup more aesthetic and tidy. Threading the cords neatly can make a world of difference too!

I've seen some amazing transformations online where old tires become cute little gardens with fresh blooms. They look so cheerful and bright, especially with a nice coat of paint! As for the charging station, I've personally found that using clear adhesive tape makes the setup more aesthetic and tidy. Threading the cords neatly can make a world of difference too!
I think this forum has lots of environmentally conscious parents who are good at coming up with creative ways to contribute to a greener world. It's inspiring to see how some simple projects can make a difference, and I'm keen on trying them out myself! Are there any other easy eco-friendly tips or hacks that members want to share?

I think this forum has lots of environmentally conscious parents who are good at coming up with creative ways to contribute to a greener world. It's inspiring to see how some simple projects can make a difference, and I'm keen on trying them out myself! Are there any other easy eco-friendly tips or hacks that members want to share?
There's this cool app that I use to locate secondhand items including furniture and household goods. It helps to give old items a new lease of life without throwing them away, plus it's a treasure trove of unique finds! Also, for the tire garden, try using natural pesticides like homemade chili or garlic sprays to keep pests at bay instead of harsh chemical repellents.

• Love
Reactions: musical
There's this cool app that I use to locate secondhand items including furniture and household goods. It helps to give old items a new lease of life without throwing them away, plus it's a treasure trove of unique finds! Also, for the tire garden, try using natural pesticides like homemade chili or garlic sprays to keep pests at bay instead of harsh chemical repellents.
The app sounds like a fantastic idea - it's amazing how digital tools can connect us with like-minded folks and foster more sustainable practices! As for the pesticide tip, it's incredible how creative natural solutions can be. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: cissy

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu