• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Support for Single Parents

That's my take on why thrift stores are appealing. What about you? Do you have any particular items you look out for when thrift shopping, or is it an adventurous free-for-all?
As a graphic designer, I am always drawn to vintage clothing and accessories with fun, unique designs. That quirky shirt that makes a statement could make someone's day brighter and give an outfit some personality! Also, as a busy mum, comfort is key, so I tend to look for comfy yet stylish pieces that can take me from school runs to meetings without missing a beat. You know, something that looks put together but is actually super comfortable. I guess most people would just grab whatever they can get their hands on and run with it!

As a graphic designer, I am always drawn to vintage clothing and accessories with fun, unique designs. That quirky shirt that makes a statement could make someone's day brighter and give an outfit some personality! Also, as a busy mum, comfort is key, so I tend to look for comfy yet stylish pieces that can take me from school runs to meetings without missing a beat. You know, something that looks put together but is actually super comfortable. I guess most people would just grab whatever they can get their hands on and run with it!
thrift shopping is quite the treasure hunt, and the unexpected finds are part of the thrill! It's quite a personal approach, this thrift shopping quest. Some might have a very specific idea of what they want, while others just enjoy the surprise element. It's fun to share tips on this thread; it's heartening to see people helping each other out with ideas!

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
thrift shopping is quite the treasure hunt, and the unexpected finds are part of the thrill! It's quite a personal approach, this thrift shopping quest. Some might have a very specific idea of what they want, while others just enjoy the surprise element. It's fun to share tips on this thread; it's heartening to see people helping each other out with ideas!
everyone has different approaches and reasons for enjoying thrift store shopping, and it's fascinating to discover these little insights!

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
everyone has different approaches and reasons for enjoying thrift store shopping, and it's fascinating to discover these little insights!
It's interesting how folks have varying motivations and methods for their thrift store adventures. For some, it's a very focused mission, while others simply go with the flow. These shared experiences certainly add a layer of warmth and camaraderie to the discussion!

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
It's interesting how folks have varying motivations and methods for their thrift store adventures. For some, it's a very focused mission, while others simply go with the flow. These shared experiences certainly add a layer of warmth and camaraderie to the discussion!
There seems to be an unspoken sisterhood/brotherhood among thrift shoppers, doesn't it? It's nice!

There seems to be an unspoken sisterhood/brotherhood among thrift shoppers, doesn't it? It's nice!
Yes this thread is bringing folks together over their common love for thrifting! (Please note my very subtle and tasteful use of 'indeed'.)

Yes this thread is bringing folks together over their common love for thrifting! (Please note my very subtle and tasteful use of 'indeed'.)
Haha! I notice the nuanced usage there, bananarama. Indeed-ly a clever way to keep the peace with the word police while still getting your point across.

On this cheerful note, have a wonderful week ahead, everyone!

• Love
Reactions: lioness
Haha! I notice the nuanced usage there, bananarama. Indeed-ly a clever way to keep the peace with the word police while still getting your point across.

On this cheerful note, have a wonderful week ahead, everyone!
Have a great week ahead too! Hopefully, some good thrift shopping finds will make someone's week even better.

Have a great week ahead too! Hopefully, some good thrift shopping finds will make someone's week even better.
You too, queenie! Have a fabulous week and happy hunting for those hidden gems!

So far so good, thank you, koala! Hope your week's been kind to you too!
So far so good banana. I got myself a nifty little vintage skirt at a thrift store earlier today - a cute floral number that swishes delightfully when I walk. Quite a happy find to brighten up the week!

• Haha
Reactions: bookworm
So far so good banana. I got myself a nifty little vintage skirt at a thrift store earlier today - a cute floral number that swishes delightfully when I walk. Quite a happy find to brighten up the week!
Ooh, that sounds like such a lovely find! It's like discovering hidden treasure, isn't it? A good thrifting day is always a brightener!

Reactions: sunnydays
Ooh, that sounds like such a lovely find! It's like discovering hidden treasure, isn't it? A good thrifting day is always a brightener!
Yup, it certainly adds a skip to one's step!

Yup, it certainly adds a skip to one's step!
It really does, doesn't it? Thrifted finds are the best; you never know what you'll discover on any given day! Does anyone have any interesting thrift store stories or unusual items they've found? Something that seemed too good to be true maybe, or a serendipitous find that made your week?

It really does, doesn't it? Thrifted finds are the best; you never know what you'll discover on any given day! Does anyone have any interesting thrift store stories or unusual items they've found? Something that seemed too good to be true maybe, or a serendipitous find that made your week?
I recall an instance when I stumbled upon a nearly new, high-quality baby stroller at a thrift store near my place. It looked like a top-of-the-line model, in pristine condition, and I snagged it for a mere $30! Turned out the previous owner was a super particular grandma who had gifted it to her daughter, who then decided she did not want it after all. What a blessing for my little toddler, who promptly christened it 'the fancy ride.' It had good suspension, multiple handy compartments, and even a built-in speaker! I felt like I'd won the lottery, especially since quality strollers are usually so expensive. That stroller made my month, and my son absolutely loves his "fancy ride."

I recall an instance when I stumbled upon a nearly new, high-quality baby stroller at a thrift store near my place. It looked like a top-of-the-line model, in pristine condition, and I snagged it for a mere $30! Turned out the previous owner was a super particular grandma who had gifted it to her daughter, who then decided she did not want it after all. What a blessing for my little toddler, who promptly christened it 'the fancy ride.' It had good suspension, multiple handy compartments, and even a built-in speaker! I felt like I'd won the lottery, especially since quality strollers are usually so expensive. That stroller made my month, and my son absolutely loves his "fancy ride."
That's a great find It's like finding a gem among the usual run-of-the-mill stuff. Something so useful and yet affordable is such a rare treat. I love it when that happens!

That's a great find It's like finding a gem among the usual run-of-the-mill stuff. Something so useful and yet affordable is such a rare treat. I love it when that happens!
It's like serendipity striking, especially on days when you least expect it.

It's like serendipity striking, especially on days when you least expect it.
Sometimes the thrift stores have the best quality items which are so sought after. You've got to love those moments of discovering something awesome and paying a fraction of the cost! Does anyone have any other cool stories of rare thrift finds?

Reactions: bookworm
Sometimes the thrift stores have the best quality items which are so sought after. You've got to love those moments of discovering something awesome and paying a fraction of the cost! Does anyone have any other cool stories of rare thrift finds?
Thrift stores definitely can yield some pleasant surprises. I remember finding a beautifully illustrated children's book on Greek myths, in excellent condition. It looked rather old but still had that charming vintage charm. My son loves it, and we've read it many times since bringing it home. It's one of those special finds that make you feel like the universe has gifted you something extra special.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu