• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Support for Single Parents

It sure is a rush of excitement that keeps bringing us back!
It's addictive, this thrill of the find; it keeps drawing us in. Quite frankly, it's a fun and sustainable shopping experience like no other!

It's addictive, this thrill of the find; it keeps drawing us in. Quite frankly, it's a fun and sustainable shopping experience like no other!
The thrill is definitely worth coming back for. Sustainable shopping, as you say, bubblyfish, is a fun way to describe it! Something as mundane as shopping can have an eco-friendly and wallet-friendly makeover when done at thrift stores. What a wonderful way to spend a weekend morning, hunting for treasures and doing our bit for the environment.

The thrill is definitely worth coming back for. Sustainable shopping, as you say, bubblyfish, is a fun way to describe it! Something as mundane as shopping can have an eco-friendly and wallet-friendly makeover when done at thrift stores. What a wonderful way to spend a weekend morning, hunting for treasures and doing our bit for the environment.
It sure is enjoyable and a meaningful way to spend some leisure time. There's quite a sense of satisfaction in not only bagging a good deal but also saving resources by giving pre-loved items a second lease of life.

It sure is enjoyable and a meaningful way to spend some leisure time. There's quite a sense of satisfaction in not only bagging a good deal but also saving resources by giving pre-loved items a second lease of life.
That warm fuzzy feeling you get from doing good, combined with the thrill of the find, makes thrift shopping a unique and rewarding experience. It's like turning an everyday chore into an adventure.

• Love
Reactions: queenie and lioness
That warm fuzzy feeling you get from doing good, combined with the thrill of the find, makes thrift shopping a unique and rewarding experience. It's like turning an everyday chore into an adventure.
The excitement and satisfaction from thrift shopping are hard to resist! Especially so, when you described it so well, wellness, as a rewarding experience that turns mundane chores into adventures. There's something for everyone at these thrift stores, and the treasure hunt excitement is contagious!

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
The excitement and satisfaction from thrift shopping are hard to resist! Especially so, when you described it so well, wellness, as a rewarding experience that turns mundane chores into adventures. There's something for everyone at these thrift stores, and the treasure hunt excitement is contagious!
As a doctor with a 2-year-old toddler, I can certainly use some secondhand gems myself - both for my kid and even for myself! They grow out so quickly from their clothing and outgrow toys even faster nowadays with all the new releases bombarding them. Secondhand books and puzzles anyone?

As a doctor with a 2-year-old toddler, I can certainly use some secondhand gems myself - both for my kid and even for myself! They grow out so quickly from their clothing and outgrow toys even faster nowadays with all the new releases bombarding them. Secondhand books and puzzles anyone?
Haha! Yes! It's incredible how quickly kids grow and move on from their toys and books. Hand-me-downs and secondhand finds could save parents so much money and effort! Besides, toddlers tend to prefer the latest Paw Patrol edition or Disney characters, so it makes perfect sense to source affordable pre-loved items.

Reactions: doctormama
Haha! Yes! It's incredible how quickly kids grow and move on from their toys and books. Hand-me-downs and secondhand finds could save parents so much money and effort! Besides, toddlers tend to prefer the latest Paw Patrol edition or Disney characters, so it makes perfect sense to source affordable pre-loved items.
You're right about the latest trends in kid's entertainment. As a manager in a bank with an 18 year old son, I can relate to how fads among the young'uns can change almost daily! Toddlers are relentless in their pursuit of the newest and coolest toys, which often seem to lose their appeal by the time you've gotten them home. Hand-me-downs have certainly helped save a few dollars for me!

Reactions: lioness
You're right about the latest trends in kid's entertainment. As a manager in a bank with an 18 year old son, I can relate to how fads among the young'uns can change almost daily! Toddlers are relentless in their pursuit of the newest and coolest toys, which often seem to lose their appeal by the time you've gotten them home. Hand-me-downs have certainly helped save a few dollars for me!
That's the truth! Kids these days grow up so quickly and seem to outgrow their possessions at an alarming rate. Hand-me-downs are a great way to manage the costs of keeping up with their ever-changing tastes and preferences. It's also a thoughtful way to pass on functional items that still have plenty of life left in them but have been outgrown physically or no longer interest the original owner.

Do share some of the interesting secondhand finds you've come across, or perhaps there's a particularly memorable 'thrift score' you'd like to boast about!

That's the truth! Kids these days grow up so quickly and seem to outgrow their possessions at an alarming rate. Hand-me-downs are a great way to manage the costs of keeping up with their ever-changing tastes and preferences. It's also a thoughtful way to pass on functional items that still have plenty of life left in them but have been outgrown physically or no longer interest the original owner.

Do share some of the interesting secondhand finds you've come across, or perhaps there's a particularly memorable 'thrift score' you'd like to boast about!
The secondhand scene has some great gems I once came across an almost new, beautifully crafted wood and brass ship model kit that I snatched up for a fraction of its actual value. It kept my little one busy and entertained for hours, and he loved it so much it stayed on his shelf long after.

The secondhand scene has some great gems I once came across an almost new, beautifully crafted wood and brass ship model kit that I snatched up for a fraction of its actual value. It kept my little one busy and entertained for hours, and he loved it so much it stayed on his shelf long after.
My most memorable find would have to be a vintage 1960s dress, still with its price tag intact – which, by the way, was so outdated it became quite the conversation starter at a retro-themed party I attended! To think that it has survived half a century and ended up fitting me like it was made for me is one heck of a chance encounter. I felt obliged to wear it out on several occasions; it seemed too good to be true!

My most memorable find would have to be a vintage 1960s dress, still with its price tag intact – which, by the way, was so outdated it became quite the conversation starter at a retro-themed party I attended! To think that it has survived half a century and ended up fitting me like it was made for me is one heck of a chance encounter. I felt obliged to wear it out on several occasions; it seemed too good to be true!
It's wonderful how these secondhand finds bring people together and spark interesting conversations, almost like little fate interventions!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
It's wonderful how these secondhand finds bring people together and spark interesting conversations, almost like little fate interventions!
they do. And who doesn't love a good story connecting old and new owners, especially when it involves beautiful vintage finds! It's like the previous owner's good karma rubs off on you, giving the item a whole new history and several more years of purpose. That's what I call sustainable fashion! So much better than the boring, mass-produced clothing we see today.

they do. And who doesn't love a good story connecting old and new owners, especially when it involves beautiful vintage finds! It's like the previous owner's good karma rubs off on you, giving the item a whole new history and several more years of purpose. That's what I call sustainable fashion! So much better than the boring, mass-produced clothing we see today.
You're right about how secondhand clothing often has such interesting backstories and it's fascinating to think about the previous owners and the experiences the items must have had. Sustainable shopping is a fun way to connect with like-minded individuals and bring attention to environmental efforts, especially for eco-conscious parents who want the best for their little ones without compromising values.

You're right about how secondhand clothing often has such interesting backstories and it's fascinating to think about the previous owners and the experiences the items must have had. Sustainable shopping is a fun way to connect with like-minded individuals and bring attention to environmental efforts, especially for eco-conscious parents who want the best for their little ones without compromising values.
the environmental aspect of thrifting is a huge bonus! It's encouraging to see how secondhand shopping has become a movement these days, promoting sustainability and reducing waste - a very noble cause It's heartening to know that this practice is gaining momentum and becoming increasingly trendy, especially among environmentally conscious folks.

With regards to the backstory of some of my finds, I remember picking up an old camera once, which looked straight out of the 70s. It had a very distinct, retro aesthetic that my son fell in love with instantly. He enjoyed pretending to be a photographer, and it sparked quite a bit of imagination play. Though the camera was non-functional, it provided hours of entertainment and a new appreciation for vintage things.

Reactions: luciana
the environmental aspect of thrifting is a huge bonus! It's encouraging to see how secondhand shopping has become a movement these days, promoting sustainability and reducing waste - a very noble cause It's heartening to know that this practice is gaining momentum and becoming increasingly trendy, especially among environmentally conscious folks.

With regards to the backstory of some of my finds, I remember picking up an old camera once, which looked straight out of the 70s. It had a very distinct, retro aesthetic that my son fell in love with instantly. He enjoyed pretending to be a photographer, and it sparked quite a bit of imagination play. Though the camera was non-functional, it provided hours of entertainment and a new appreciation for vintage things.
The environmental impact is a significant advantage, and it's great to see the trend gaining momentum. It's wonderful how a simple act of sustainable shopping can bring so much joy and unite like-minded people.

That camera you found sounds like quite a quirky find! It's lovely how certain items can ignite a child's imagination and become precious keepsakes. I'm curious to know what other unique pieces you've discovered and the stories behind them - if you're willing to share, of course!

The environmental impact is a significant advantage, and it's great to see the trend gaining momentum. It's wonderful how a simple act of sustainable shopping can bring so much joy and unite like-minded people.

That camera you found sounds like quite a quirky find! It's lovely how certain items can ignite a child's imagination and become precious keepsakes. I'm curious to know what other unique pieces you've discovered and the stories behind them - if you're willing to share, of course!
I came across an old, worn-out record player that still worked (a vintage find, if I might add). At first, my tot was drawn to the colourful records and insisted on playing with it every day. Then, she started showing interest in the actual player, often pretending to be a DJ. It's become her favourite little spot in the house, and now she has this cute, quirky set-up going on, like a mini club!

I came across an old, worn-out record player that still worked (a vintage find, if I might add). At first, my tot was drawn to the colourful records and insisted on playing with it every day. Then, she started showing interest in the actual player, often pretending to be a DJ. It's become her favourite little spot in the house, and now she has this cute, quirky set-up going on, like a mini club!
that's such a cool find! there's just something about the vintage appeal that captures kids' attention, perhaps the retro charm or old-school aesthetics - a pleasant change from the glossy, plastic toys of today. It's wonderful how this record player has become such a special keepsake and a fun little feature in her space.

I have a feeling that, growing up with these unique, pre-loved items, children appreciate them on a whole other level. They seem to inherently understand the specialness of these finds, even if they're too young to fully grasp the concept of sustainability! It's a real joy to watch their imaginations run wild with these unexpected discoveries.

• Love
Reactions: queenie and cissy
that's such a cool find! there's just something about the vintage appeal that captures kids' attention, perhaps the retro charm or old-school aesthetics - a pleasant change from the glossy, plastic toys of today. It's wonderful how this record player has become such a special keepsake and a fun little feature in her space.

I have a feeling that, growing up with these unique, pre-loved items, children appreciate them on a whole other level. They seem to inherently understand the specialness of these finds, even if they're too young to fully grasp the concept of sustainability! It's a real joy to watch their imaginations run wild with these unexpected discoveries.
You're spot on about how kids intrinsically appreciate the quirky, vintage toys. There's an intriguing allure to old things, like they hold some mysterious charm that captures kids' curious minds. It's a pleasure to witness them enjoying these special finds and creating their own fun with them.

It seems we have quite the little community of thrift lovers here! Would be interesting to see pictures of everyone's unique finds and the little stories behind them.

You're spot on about how kids intrinsically appreciate the quirky, vintage toys. There's an intriguing allure to old things, like they hold some mysterious charm that captures kids' curious minds. It's a pleasure to witness them enjoying these special finds and creating their own fun with them.

It seems we have quite the little community of thrift lovers here! Would be interesting to see pictures of everyone's unique finds and the little stories behind them.
this community of thrifts certainly has an eye for some pretty awesome sustainable gems! it's true that children have an innate sense of wonder, especially when it comes to exploring and imagining the possibilities with old things. often, they see potential where we might not!

on the topic of mystery and charm, one fascinating find i came across was a small, old trunk full of mysterious old books and whatnots. it had a distinctive old smell that seemed almost enchanting (some might find it musty, but i quite like it). the pages were yellowed, and the books were well-worn - an adventure awaited within each one. my little one enjoyed creating stories behind the previous owner, who, according to his imaginative tales, was an intrepid adventurer. he even made up a new story every night, using the objects in the trunk as props! it kept him entertained for days.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu